Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Rod Building

Rod Building So, you've landed a nice fish on a plug you made, eh? Now, the next step, building your own RODS!

Old 08-26-2009, 07:58 PM   #1
Jigman

blank suggestion

I have a 1083 Arra one piece that I wrapped conventional. For the most part I like this rod for what I use it for (light plugging). On occasion it seems a little light for decent sized fish in moving water. Also, transporting it can be a pain. Looking for something similar, but in 2 piece. Don't really want to put out the $$ for the 2 piece version of the Arra. The batson sur1083F seems to be a similar blank based on the specs. Anyone had any experience with this blank? Other blanks that I should check out?

I'll be wrapping it conventional. 5501 with 14# fireline. Mostly throwing plugs in the 3/4 to 1 1/2 oz range with it, though may also throw lead down to 3/8 oz (mostly above 1/2 oz) on occasion.

Jigman
Jigman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 08:52 PM   #2
Saltheart

xra1083 / "moving water" those two things should never appear in the same sentence.

look for a loomis 965 and stay away from moving water for 1/2 to 1.5 or go to a 1 to 3oz rod like a gsb 1081M or CSB 1082m

why throw such tiny jigs in moving water? I assume the answere is "to catch fish" but is that optimum?

Saltheart
Custom Crafted Rods by Saltheart
Saltheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 06:34 AM   #3
Jigman

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll check them out. Jig size depends on the depth and current when I am throwing them. The areas that I would fish with 3/8 oz are shallow (less than 4 feet), so anything heavier spends too much time in rocks.

One of the areas that I fish with the XRA1083 is a below a dam on the Ohio River. Distance can be a big factor. Sometimes they are at your feet, other times 100 yards off shore (or further out beyond casting range). Most of the time that I use the Arra I'm down river some from the heavy current. 3/4 to 1 oz pencils and small metal lips can produce well. The Arra handles those well, and gets the distance and is often needed. If the fish are deeper, I'll go with a slab spoon or bottom bounce a jig. I agree with you on the Arra and moving water do not mix. A big reason I wanted to check into other blanks for this application. Thanks again!

Jigman
Old 08-28-2009, 12:05 PM   #4
mikecc
Plug Builder in Training

I have 1 All Star 1085-2 blank still available Rated 3/4-2oz
If you want it $80.

mikecc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 04:53 PM   #5
Jigman

Thanks Mike. Let me check a few other things and I'll get back to you if I want that one.

Would the Loomis or the Lamis throw bombers (5501 abu and 14# fireline), or is that a stretch? I know the lami ssu108 2L is rated 3/8 to 2 oz, another option, or still going to be on the light side for moving water. I'm getting the impression that a rod rated less than 1-3 oz might be pushing it for moving water. Would be nice to be able to throw 1/2 oz jigs, bombers, and the 1 - 1 1/2 oz metal lips and pencils with the same rod, but bringing a lighter rod that I already have for throwing the lighter stuff would be an option. If I'm throwing small jigs, the current is not moving as fast.

Jigman
Old 09-04-2009, 05:18 PM   #6
Saltheart

You can throw 1/2 to 1 1/2 using the Loomis or you can use a steelhead rod like the Lami GSH 108 2H or 2 MH. They will handle the lightest stuff and up to 1 1/2 OZ. The problem is the moving water.

Saltheart
Custom Crafted Rods by Saltheart
Saltheart is offline   Reply With Quote