Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Grumpy Old Pharts Board

Grumpy Old Pharts Board Gerritol, Ex-Lax, Immodium, Bad Breath - all requirements for the Grumpy Board

Old 05-30-2008, 11:26 AM   #1
FishermanTim

How insane can things get....

..when a 4th grader gets suspended for 5 days for bringing in a shell casing from a Blank round (fired at a Memorial Day service)?
The casing is nothing more than a hollow metal tube. I mean, a sharpened pencil is much more dangerous that this casing is.
Based on the story, the school wasn't commenting on the subject only to say that the matter was "gun" related.
With that kind of asinine logic, they better stop teaching about ANY historical battles because they too are "gun" related.
This kind of thinking is a sad state of affairs regarding our "so called" educators, and the system that supports them. This whole event was blown completely out of proportion. What should have happened was the boy should have been told that he needs to keep his toys/prized possesions at home.
The school superintendent of the town of Winchendon(?) gets the "moron of the week" award.
FishermanTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 11:38 AM   #2
UserRemoved1
Permanently Disconnected

I saw that too and totally agree. Sad. The kid got two from a vet who shot them off in the Memorial day celebration. idiots.
UserRemoved1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 12:05 PM   #3
OX
MasterMisanthrope

Thank a Liberal..........then punch his nose!

PLEASE PICK UP YOUR TRASH!
OX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 12:42 PM   #4
likwid
lobster = striper bait

Send a message via AIM to likwid
Quote:
Originally Posted by OX View Post
Howabout instead of thanking a liberal, thank the foolish retarded parents of the kids running around with guns in schools? You know, the red neck right wing idiots who let the tv teach their kids and didn't kick them out the door and make them LIVE.

Liberals have nothing to do with this.
Parents have everything to do with it.

Ski Quicks Hole
likwid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 12:58 PM   #5
Jimbo

I've never had the opportunity to use the word ludicrous, but that is the only way to describe the actions of the school administrators for allowing something like this to happen.
Jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 01:08 PM   #6
Saltheart

I think the kids who watched war movies over memorial day should be suspended too. Them movies all got guns in them.

Oh yes , and cut off the kids thumb and index fingers too. i saw a few making like they were shooting a pistol by pointing their finger and moving their thumb and saying bang. Can't have them doing that at recess and undoing all the liberal brainwashing we pumped into them all morning!

And finally , we have the punishment movie for the boys who fight at recess. They must watch Broke Back Mountain. That will teach them that there are better things for boys to do together than fighting!!

Saltheart
Custom Crafted Rods by Saltheart
Saltheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 01:24 PM   #7
rjinhull

Guns don’t kill ......it’s the idiot in back of it
If people were taught how to handle a gun ..there would be a lot less accidents
And if every body had one crime would drop

So maybe we should do like Israel .....every body has to spend 2 years (I think) in the military

That would be the schooling needed and if we let them keep the gun that would take care of crime
rjinhull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 01:33 PM   #8
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

[QUOTE=likwid;593501]Howabout instead of thanking a liberal, thank the foolish retarded parents of the kids running around with guns in schools? You know, the red neck right wing idiots who let the tv teach their kids and didn't kick them out the door and make them LIVE.

Parents have everything to do with it.[/QUOTE

I bet you that most of the idiot parents are libs. Don't think conservative parents would let their children look like those Columbine kids . They would have had their asses whipped.

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
RIJIMMY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 01:47 PM   #9
FishermanTim

Then there was the story today of a student that tried to rob HIS OWN teacher with a knife. He wanted money to buy the new "Grand Theft Auto" video game. Now that's definitely a parental issue.
Old 05-30-2008, 02:07 PM   #10
spence

I think a 5 day suspension is way too much considering the age, but the reaction of some of you is quite silly.

For a school to have a zero tolerance policy towards firearms, something I'm sure you'd all agree they should have, you can't make a provision just because the round was spent.

Next thing you'll be arguing that a backpack full of spent rounds or a bag of gun parts should be ok in school, because on their own they aren't a threat!

-spence
spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 02:28 PM   #11
fishbones

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
I think a 5 day suspension is way too much considering the age, but the reaction of some of you is quite silly.

For a school to have a zero tolerance policy towards firearms, something I'm sure you'd all agree they should have, you can't make a provision just because the round was spent.

Next thing you'll be arguing that a backpack full of spent rounds or a bag of gun parts should be ok in school, because on their own they aren't a threat!

-spence
Spence, I agree to part of what you say here. I feel there should be a zero tolerance policy in schools, but only for bullets. Guns are fairly harmless without bullets, unless you pistol whip someone with it. But, by the same token, a stapler can do some serious damage if you whack someone hard enough with it.

And likwid, get a grip. Not all bad parents are redneck right wingers. I work in a bad neighborhood and see bad parenting almost every day. No rednecks here, though. In fact, I see mostly Obama signs in the windows. And the guns in school problems are probably worse in the inner city neighborhoods, which traditionally are not real conservative.
fishbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 02:47 PM   #12
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by OX View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by likwid View Post
Howabout instead of thanking a liberal, thank the foolish retarded parents of the kids running around with guns in schools? You know, the red neck right wing idiots who let the tv teach their kids and didn't kick them out the door and make them LIVE.

Parents have everything to do with it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RIJIMMY View Post
I bet you that most of the idiot parents are libs. Don't think conservative parents would let their children look like those Columbine kids . They would have had their asses whipped.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbones View Post
And likwid, get a grip. Not all bad parents are redneck right wingers. I work in a bad neighborhood and see bad parenting almost every day. No rednecks here, though. In fact, I see mostly Obama signs in the windows. And the guns in school problems are probably worse in the inner city neighborhoods, which traditionally are not real conservative.

Serenity Now

an A-hole is an A-hole (Parent or Principal)....it doesn't friggin matter what damn lever they pull in the voting booth....My Lord

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
The Dad Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 03:04 PM   #13
likwid
lobster = striper bait

Quote:
Apparently everything is about politics to you.
I'm not even going to waste my time on this statement.

Funny how most southern redneck retards are conservatives huh?

Ski Quicks Hole
Old 05-30-2008, 03:05 PM   #14
likwid
lobster = striper bait

Quote:
And the guns in school problems are probably worse in the inner city neighborhoods, which traditionally are not real conservative.
I certainly wouldn't call a typical terribly off inner city family liberal either.

Ski Quicks Hole
Old 05-30-2008, 03:17 PM   #15
fishbones

Quote:
I certainly wouldn't call a typical terribly off inner city family liberal either.
I was just pointing out that the problem of guns in schools is more of an inner city problem than a "foolish retarded right wing redneck" problem. I wasn't saying it's because of liberals, I was just pointing out that it's not necessarily because of conservatives. But if you feel better blaming a political party, who am I to stop you. Blame political parties, blame parents, blame the schools. In my opinion, if a kid is bringing a weapon to school, the kid is to blame. In the rare case of a young child who doesn't know any better, then I place the blame on the parents. But most of these cases are kids who are old enough to know that what they're doing is wrong.
Old 05-30-2008, 03:34 PM   #16
EarnedStripes44

Quote:
I definitely agree. White, black or otherwise
EarnedStripes44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 03:45 PM   #17
spence

Quote:
Spence, I agree to part of what you say here. I feel there should be a zero tolerance policy in schools, but only for bullets. Guns are fairly harmless without bullets, unless you pistol whip someone with it.
Ok, so now you have to let the teachers stop the fourth graders and check their guns for ammo?

That's what I mean by silly. There's no wiggle room when there's a zero tolerance policy. Why can't you bring an unloaded gun on an airplane? Think about it...

-spence
spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 03:51 PM   #18
likwid
lobster = striper bait

Quote:
In my opinion, if a kid is bringing a weapon to school, the kid is to blame. In the rare case of a young child who doesn't know any better, then I place the blame on the parents. But most of these cases are kids who are old enough to know that what they're doing is wrong.
I blame the parents.
Where were they?
What were they doing?
How did THIS get past them?
Were they just ignorant?

The Columbine idiots for example, how the HELL did the parents miss that these kids had a freaking arsenal?

Too busy cheering on war and praising Bush?
Too busy hugging trees and being war protestors?

Who the hell cares? They screwed up somewhere.

Ski Quicks Hole
Old 05-31-2008, 12:41 PM   #19
Nebe

what part of zero tolerance don't you guys understand?

If there was a zero tolerance drug policy at school and a kid was found with a digital scale and a box of zip lock bags and got suspended, would all of you be as outraged?

While it was only a casing, what if it was found laying on a class room floor and no one knew where it came from?

My point is, anything gun related has zero business belonging in a school environment period.
Nebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 05:04 PM   #20
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Quote:
I was just pointing out that the problem of guns in schools is more of an inner city problem than a "foolish retarded right wing redneck" problem.
I don't think Columbine was an inner city problem.

guns + schools = a problem anywhere~

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
RIROCKHOUND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 09:31 PM   #21
fishbones

Originally Posted by fishbones
I was just pointing out that the problem of guns in schools is more of an inner city problem than a "foolish retarded right wing redneck" problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIROCKHOUND View Post
I don't think Columbine was an inner city problem.

guns + schools = a problem anywhere~
I used the word "more" because I understand it happens all over. But if you look at statistics, there are more gun and other weapons charges in inner city schools. Columbine was a mass murder at a school in a suburb, but I wasn't only addressing murders and shootings. I was referring to guns being brought into schools in general.

And my post was really just to point out that likwid was off base with his politically based rant about conservative rednecks being the ones shooting up schools. And I'm pretty sure those dirtbags in Columbine weren't redneck conservatives.
Old 05-31-2008, 10:41 PM   #22
Nebe

Quote:
And I'm pretty sure those dirtbags in Columbine weren't redneck conservatives.
your right. But the redneck conservatives were the 1st ones to get shot
Old 06-02-2008, 10:37 AM   #23
FishermanTim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe View Post

If there was a zero tolerance drug policy at school and a kid was found with a digital scale and a box of zip lock bags and got suspended, would all of you be as outraged?

While it was only a casing, what if it was found laying on a class room floor and no one knew where it came from?

My point is, anything gun related has zero business belonging in a school environment period.
But then if we carry this thinking a bit farther, you won't be able to show ANY historical films, read any historical stories or hell, even show off any relatives medals that were earned in battle ALL BECAUSE THAY ARE GUN RELATED.

Sure, zero tolerance does have merit when applied logically and intelligently, but to blindly punish anyone for something like this makes me think that the zero tolerance is meant for they school officials intelligence.
Keep in mind that the child wasn't hiding the shell casing (he was PROUDLY showing it off a lunch), he wasn't a troubled youth, he wasn't doing anything that would raise a red flag (except maybe showing pride in remembering our forgotten vets).
I know, I know, you can't always tell which students will be the "psycho" ones. I'm sure that the school officials searched his locker, bookbag, and would be surprised if they didn't have his parents house searched all in the name of "Zero tolerance".
Old 06-02-2008, 11:03 AM   #24
Nebe

to make that assumption is asinine. A movie is not a bullet casing.
Old 06-02-2008, 11:50 AM   #25
BillyBlanks

Send a message via AIM to BillyBlanks
I think this is just plain rediculous. What is even more rediculous is that in this state if that kid doesn't have an FID card he could also be considered a felon and could be facing jail time.
BillyBlanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 12:03 PM   #26
FishermanTim

I know that, but with the generalizing sweep that these zero tolerance policies cover, don't be surprised that some parent complains because the school shows a film covering ANY war in history, and they don't want their child exposed to that because it may "glorify" war. It's a reach, but if 1 parent can make a school cancel christmas shows or religious programs just because they don't like them, what makes you think this isn't possible?

Remember how we, as kids played "war" "cops and robbers" and "cowboys and indians" and no one got hurt? Well, if our parents and our society were as anally PC then as we are today, we'd be playing "house" and nothing else. Sure it may be blatantly over-exaggerated, but some of these "Zero tolerance" policies are just as blatant and over-exaggerated. To these schools that adhere to these policies, there is no gray area, there is only black and white, yes and no, and no room for questions.

I feel sorry for the student, who may have had a better appreciation for Memeorial Day and ALL of our soldiers that fought for or country, but now only sees that day as a black mark on his record all because he wanted to show off a souvenir he got from a Veteran.
Old 06-02-2008, 03:12 PM   #27
maddmatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe View Post

maybe he was selling sandeels?

"never met a bluefish i wouldn't sell"
maddmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 03:14 PM   #28
Nebe

The problem Tim is how we got to this point. Where to you draw the line?? And more importantly, when did our society come to the point that kids have access to guns in the first place? If you ask me, parents need to be held accountable for their kids actions. If a kid brings a gun to school, not only is the kid punnished, but the parents should face a financial fine- say $500 for putting the school's population at risk. Parents dont like it? keep the guns and bullets locked up. Same with drugs.. kid gets busted with drugs... $500 fine. Money goes back into the school system.

Im not saying this specific case we're talking about should be a reflection of the parents, but the gun problem in general.
Old 06-02-2008, 03:24 PM   #29
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

I too beleive we should hold the parents accountable.

And Likwid - read your initial post, you made this political, I only responded.

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
RIJIMMY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 02:09 PM   #30
likwid
lobster = striper bait

Quote:
I too beleive we should hold the parents accountable.
Well at least we agree on something.

Quote:
And Likwid - read your initial post, you made this political, I only responded.
I'll bow to your point and apologize.

Schools and other places have NO choice in the matter unfortunately.
The few bad kids that do horrible things ruin it for the rest.

Ski Quicks Hole