Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » The Scuppers

The Scuppers This is a new forum for the not necessarily fishing related topics...

Old 03-16-2011, 06:39 AM   #1
stiff tip

the trap is set

sorry if i hurt some ones feel goods ......but two days ago ,i was looking at the bird feeder w/ 5-6 tree rats (cant spell squirell)hanging all over it...i dont like squrialls, they have done alot of damage to my house , shed ,u know....so....i get out the have no hart trap and with a little p-butter as bait ..........i get 1 ....now how rid myself of the squarill in a nice way ????let it go else where ..NEVER...as a young killer, colector mothballs .no ....better faster C02 .i took a heavy plastic leaf bag ,put the trap in the bag and to my truck exu u know, and in two min its over.so far there team is down three players . its painless for me i got to go and do it again ...............anyone a squirrel tail for fly tying?????
stiff tip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 06:52 AM   #2
PRBuzz
BuzzLuck

Send a message via Skype™ to PRBuzz

Got to get me one of them traps for new tactics...there are 3 less at my feeders, too. Trouble is the female members in the house have sympathy for the furry tailed rats!

Given the diversity of the human species, there is no “normal” human genome sequence. We are all mutants.
PRBuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 07:10 AM   #3
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

I got a soft spot for them too...when I was a kid we had a couple of Pet Squirrels....my dad found 2 baby squirrels and brought them home. we fed them with eye droppers until they were big enough to eat nuts and such...then we let them go out in the yard. They used to come right up on our porch and we would hand feed them...it was pretty cool.

That being said...they can be a nuisance and you gotta do what you gotta do.....

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
The Dad Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 07:44 AM   #4
2na

a few years back at two of our buildings in Quincy the neighborhood squirrels learned to break into apartments for potato chips. They'd tear through the screen into the kitchen, ransack the place, then tear through a 2nd screen to make their escape. We set up a hav a heart at each building and would get a squirrel in each every morning and afternoon.

We had a rubbermade tote large enough to hold the trap. Fill it with water. Drop the squirrel filled trap in (we called it washing the squirrel - 'hey, give this a good wash'). It takes a minute, no noise or mess. We washed about 30 before the break in gene was culled from the pool.

If you let them go, even a couple of miles away, they will find their way back. And if they don't you have just made it someone else's problem.

All that is necessary for evil to succeed is that good men do nothing.
2na is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 07:48 AM   #5
PRBuzz
BuzzLuck

I noticed a couple days ago something started chewing a hole in the screen on my shed window.....just happened to be right over where I store all the bird feed.

Given the diversity of the human species, there is no “normal” human genome sequence. We are all mutants.
Old 03-16-2011, 09:00 AM   #6
SurfCaster413

Just fill a trash barrel with water drop the trap in and luca squrrieli sleeps with the fishes
SurfCaster413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 03:39 PM   #7
Fishpart
Keep The Change

Mepps will buy tails if you get enough...

“It’s not up to the courts to invent new minorities that get special protections,” Antonin Scalia
Fishpart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 05:51 PM   #8
Gary
The Bawston Whalah

If you are gonna save the tails, don't drown them.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 08:37 PM   #9
Raven

squirrel attacks

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
I got a soft spot for them too...when I was a kid we had a couple of Pet Squirrels....my dad found 2 baby squirrels and brought them home. we fed them with eye droppers until they were big enough to eat nuts and such...then we let them go out in the yard. They used to come right up on our porch and we would hand feed them...it was pretty cool.

That being said...they can be a nuisance and you gotta do what you gotta do.....
just read this tonight

Vt. neighborhood suffering squirrel attacks - U.S. news - Weird news - msnbc.com
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 08:51 PM   #10
striperman36
Old Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven View Post
I saw that!! It's a killer squirrel!!
striperman36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 09:01 PM   #11
fishaholic18
Finally

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiff tip View Post
sorry if i hurt some ones feel goods ......but two days ago ,i was looking at the bird feeder w/ 5-6 tree rats (cant spell squirell)hanging all over it...i dont like squrialls, they have done alot of damage to my house , shed ,u know....so....i get out the have no hart trap and with a little p-butter as bait ..........i get 1 ....now how rid myself of the squarill in a nice way ????let it go else where ..NEVER...as a young killer, colector mothballs .no ....better faster C02 .i took a heavy plastic leaf bag ,put the trap in the bag and to my truck exu u know, and in two min its over.so far there team is down three players . its painless for me i got to go and do it again ...............anyone a squirrel tail for fly tying?????
Dude.....Please invest in a ^%$#@! dictionary......

F-18®
It IsWhat It Is

¸.·´Ż`·.¸><((((ş>¸.·´Ż`·.¸><((((ş>¸.·´Ż`·.¸><((((ş >¸.·´Ż`·.¸><((((ş>¸.·´Ż`·.¸><((((ş>¸.·´Ż`·.¸><(((( ş>
fishaholic18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 09:31 PM   #12
Raven

Lightbulb

Old 03-17-2011, 01:08 AM   #13
SurfCaster413

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishpart View Post
Mepps will buy tails if you get enough...
How much are they giving u?
Old 03-17-2011, 03:27 AM   #14
fishaholic18
Finally

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven View Post

F-18®
It IsWhat It Is

¸.·´Ż`·.¸><((((ş>¸.·´Ż`·.¸><((((ş>¸.·´Ż`·.¸><((((ş >¸.·´Ż`·.¸><((((ş>¸.·´Ż`·.¸><((((ş>¸.·´Ż`·.¸><(((( ş>
fishaholic18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 03:48 AM   #15
Raven

Quote:
Originally Posted by striperman36 View Post
I saw that!! It's a killer squirrel!!

or...
he wears a little black cape and he's a VAMPIRE squirrel

let me ........................bite ........................your neck
Old 03-17-2011, 05:07 AM   #16
stiff tip

check last spelling on post of squirrel ,it was a pun on spelling tree rat.but u knew what i was saying .....why belittle a person who can,t spell ???? does it make u feel superior ?? ...that comment belongs on that other hate n greet site...thanks 4 spell check.....
Old 03-17-2011, 05:26 AM   #17
Raven

i had one of them tree rats here
that had chewed his tail off
and another whose tail had no hair

talk about tree-> RATS!

i had to quit feeding for now
because the red squirrels were
attacking my window being very mad
at my ska- whirl !!! chasin Dingo
Old 03-17-2011, 06:41 AM   #18
spinncognito
Is it May yet?

Not to go all PETA on you but I hafta ask- is it legal to kill the little bastages? Do "Cruelty to Animal" laws only count for puppies and kittens?

Call me soft but I would have a hard time drowning them. I could not shoot a deer either but let it be known that I have no problem driving an extra sharp treble through the maw of a jumbo (or schoolie) bass.

"Twitch....Twitch....Twitch....WHAM!"
spinncognito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 06:51 AM   #19
Raven

it's also illegal to transport them and release them too

but you cannot simply call up animal control either

as if it has the importance of a black bear sighting

and say: Um Yeah Animal Control? i have Um....
this threatening squirrel that is just really being a pain in my ass
~
now, the weirded out squirrel in Vermont biting peoples necks
he gets snuffed

and then analyzed for rabies..
Old 03-17-2011, 07:04 AM   #20
PRBuzz
BuzzLuck

Hell, animal control won't even remove numerous feral cats from an area. They (or some animal group) said they came around neighborhood, trapped the cats, spayed them, and let them go!

Firstly, they apparently missed at least one of each sex, seen kittens () and secondly, using that strategy I have to put up with them through 9 lives, 8-10 yrs or whatever.

Old 03-17-2011, 07:06 AM   #21
Raven

Kodiak Squirrel

maybe if you tellem its a Kodiak Squirrel

Old 03-17-2011, 10:38 AM   #22
SurfCaster413

All am gonna say is you guys should skin them flour them and drop em in some hot oil and fry them up. Finger licking good.
Old 03-19-2011, 08:13 AM   #23
stiff tip

5 to 0 i'm ahead of the long tailed tree bunnys
Old 03-19-2011, 08:39 AM   #24
likwid
lobster = striper bait

Send a message via AIM to likwid
MassWildlife - Hunting of Gray Squirrels

Ski Quicks Hole
likwid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 11:39 AM   #25
SurfCaster413

I dont that applies though because he isn't shooting them. He is trapping them.
Old 03-19-2011, 02:59 PM   #26
Raven

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiff tip View Post
5 to 0 i'm ahead of the long tailed tree bunnys
ANY with nipples ?
Old 03-19-2011, 04:44 PM   #27
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurfCaster413 View Post
I dont that applies though because he isn't shooting them. He is trapping them.
Read the Prohibited Section.

and again, I don't have any issue w/ people doing what they need to do to rid themselves of a nuisance.

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
The Dad Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 06:44 AM   #28
stiff tip

6to0 they just keep comming and going....i hope they all have nipples....2min its over
Old 03-21-2011, 11:34 AM   #29
FishermanTim

The key to remember is "nuisance"!
I don't care what animal it is, if it's destroying my property, it's gone!
The state doesn't pay me to feed and house these critters, so once they come onto my property, they are MINE!!!

Plus.....if no one sees you do it, there's no problem.
Just don't go out selling squirrel tales/hides or bringing squirrel stew to the local pot-luck dinner.

I love the logic that you hear when trying to deal with a nuisance animal by legal means.
You're supposed to trap the animal, not kill it, your not supposed to relocate it, the state does that, and you can't feed (lure) animals into/onto your property, yet once they do it themselves the laws apply to YOU!
FishermanTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 12:34 PM   #30
JohnnyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishermanTim View Post
The key to remember is "nuisance"!
I don't care what animal it is, if it's destroying my property, it's gone!
The state doesn't pay me to feed and house these critters, so once they come onto my property, they are MINE!!!

Plus.....if no one sees you do it, there's no problem.
Just don't go out selling squirrel tales/hides or bringing squirrel stew to the local pot-luck dinner.

I love the logic that you hear when trying to deal with a nuisance animal by legal means.
You're supposed to trap the animal, not kill it, your not supposed to relocate it, the state does that, and you can't feed (lure) animals into/onto your property, yet once they do it themselves the laws apply to YOU!
When I started my "War on Tree Rats", I didn't a little bit of research due to my yuppy neighbors.

I found this bit in the MGL:
General Laws: CHAPTER 131, Section 37
Quote:
Section 37. An owner or tenant of land or, if authorized by such owner or tenant, any member of his immediate family or his employee, as defined pursuant to section one of chapter sixty-two B, may, upon such land:—

(1) kill or attempt to kill, by means other than poisoning or trapping, any wild bird damaging his property, including domesticated animals, poultry and game on game-rearing farms or preserves, provided that such killing is not contrary to any federal law, rule or regulation.

(2) hunt or take by other means, except by poison or snare, any mammal which he finds damaging his property except grass growing on uncultivated land. No such owner or tenant shall authorize any person, other than a member of his immediate family or a person permanently employed by him, to place traps for the protection of said property other than during the open season, unless such owner or tenant has first obtained from the director a permit authorizing him so to do, which permit the director is hereby authorized to issue in his discretion, unless such authorized person holds a trapping license. All deer so killed shall be turned over to any environmental police officer and shall be disposed of by the director of law enforcement.

The following written reports shall be sent to the director by such owner or tenant acting under authority of this section:—(a) upon the taking of pheasant, ruffed grouse, hares or rabbits, or the wounding or killing of a deer, a report stating the time and place, kind and number of birds or mammals so taken, wounded or killed, within twenty-four hours of such taking, wounding or killing; (b) upon the taking of any other birds or mammals, a report on or before January thirty-first of each year, stating the number and kinds of birds or mammals taken under authority of this section during the previous year. This section shall not be construed to limit any other provisions of this chapter.
I'm no lawyer, but squirrels digging into my attic and ripping up the insulation has gotta be covered under part (2).
JohnnyD is offline   Reply With Quote