Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 09-04-2008, 12:41 PM   #1
FishermanTim

Isn't it oddly humorous....

That the bulk of conversation regarding the election right now is the comparison between the Democratic PRESIDENTIAL candidate and the Republican VICE-PRESIDENTIAL candidate?

One comment I want to make in response to media inquiries regarding Sarah Palin and who will be raising her children if / WHEN she's in office would be this: The same person(s) that help raise the Clinton's, Reagan's, Ford's and Carter's, that's who!

Plus you can't tell me that should Obama win, that his wife is just going to quit her job and be a stay at home mom to raise her kids.
(Who has been raising them since the campaign began?)

Remember, what's good for the goose is good for the gander!
Old 09-04-2008, 12:44 PM   #2
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

its because they are both seen as "change" while McCain and Biden are more of the same

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
Old 09-04-2008, 12:49 PM   #3
likwid
lobster = striper bait

Send a message via AIM to likwid
The Obamas don't have a downs baby.

Ski Quicks Hole
Old 09-04-2008, 12:53 PM   #4
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

and if they did, they'd blame Bush

Old 09-04-2008, 12:57 PM   #5
Joe

You mean the sitting two term president that his own party's nominee sees as a liability?

Old 09-04-2008, 03:08 PM   #6
buckman

I think the media and the left have made Bush a liability to anyone associated with him. In the mans defense alot has happened on his watch. 9/11, oil prices, Katrina, a war on terror, The collapse of the Clinton economy engine ( fake money made in fake dotcom companies) I know that most of this is just fabricated problems stewed up in the Whitehouse basement with #^&#^&#^&#^& in control so they can all get rich. Still, I feel alot safer with Bush in the Whitehouse then I would if Kerry was there.
Old 09-04-2008, 03:09 PM   #7
buckman

Quote:
Originally Posted by likwid View Post
The Obamas don't have a downs baby.
They would have aborted that problem "too sweet"
Old 09-04-2008, 03:16 PM   #8
PaulS

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
In the mans defense alot has happened on his watch.
led the country in a disastrous war, ruined US relations around the world, wrecked the economy, wasted a budget surplus by giving tax cuts to the rich, watched N Orleans drown, made a joke of the justice dept by politicizing and filling it with partison hacks from crappy colleges and law schools, revised the gulags at gitmo (Got to use that one 2x today) - I wish I had more time.
Old 09-04-2008, 03:21 PM   #9
fishbones

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
led the country in a disastrous war, ruined US relations around the world, wrecked the economy, wasted a budget surplus by giving tax cuts to the rich, watched N Orleans drown, made a joke of the justice dept by politicizing and filling it with partison hacks from crappy colleges and law schools, revised the gulags at gitmo (Got to use that one 2x today) - I wish I had more time.

It's amazing that the stumbling, bumbling, war-mongering, incompetent boob was ever elected President. Wait a minute, the people of this country elected him not once, but twice, right?
Old 09-04-2008, 03:25 PM   #10
PaulS

Yup, good commentary on the # intelligence of many of us.

I'll add betrayed American values by promoting tuorture and warrantless eavesdroping
Old 09-04-2008, 03:37 PM   #11
buckman

Quote:
You can't be serious blaming Bush for all this. He wrecked the economy? His tax cuts to you and me have kept the economy somewhat afloat. I'm sure you cashed your check and maybe bought some new tackle. You could have given it back if you felt it would hurt the economy. He didn't drown New Orleans a hurricane did.And the State refused federal aid until it was to late, All Dems in charge in that state but somehow it's Bush's fault. I'm glad we have a Gitmo, How would you like to treat the terrorist? Put them up in a Motel 8, serve them lobster and make friends with them and then maybe they will tell you where the bomb in your daughters school is. How about you tell us what you would have done to secure America after the attack.
Old 09-05-2008, 11:05 AM   #12
PaulS

He claimed he didn't know the levy's broke and did nothing while people died. I only got a small check and it went in the bank so it did nothing for the economy. How about giving terrorists the same rights we have. If their guilty (which is debatable cause so many have been released w/o being charged) then give them the max. sentence (including death). What did I do after the attack ??( stupid question). I paid my taxes which is all I'm required to do? I guess I could have gone down the street and attacked some random person and claimed I'm making us safer.
Old 09-05-2008, 11:31 AM   #13
slapshot

Quote:
HHow about giving terrorists the same rights we have.
Is that a typo?

bluefish Jihadist
Old 09-05-2008, 12:15 PM   #14
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

buckman, I'm with you.

Old 09-05-2008, 12:41 PM   #15
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

crazy ole Bush Administration out there making enemies again!

TRIPOLI, Libya - Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice said Friday that her historic visit to former pariah state Libya proves that the U.S. never writes off another nation forever.

Rice is the highest-ranking American official to visit the North African country in more than a half-century. She will meet over dinner with mercurial leader Moammar Gadhafi, whom President Reagan once called a "mad dog" and other U.S. leaders have called a terrorist.

Old 09-05-2008, 12:44 PM   #16
spence

Quote:
I think the media and the left have made Bush a liability to anyone associated with him.
Buck, I thought you were a red blooded conservative? Not like you to blame someone else for an individual's failures.

-spence
Old 09-05-2008, 12:57 PM   #17
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
Buck, I thought you were a red blooded conservative? Not like you to blame someone else for an individual's failures.

-spence
I think Bush did a lousy job, but I dont think he failed. Seriously, not to Clinton bash, but what was the challenge of his presidency, Y2K prep?

Buckmans list of things that occurred are dead on. Nevermind the bitterness of the left wing that never recovered from the Gore controversy. I get a big kick out of the "everyone hates us now". I guess I missed when they liked us?
The country has a lot of challenges ahead, and I think Bush or no Bush we'd be in the same place or worse. I do think we need a change and some new energy.

Old 09-05-2008, 01:06 PM   #18
likwid
lobster = striper bait

Send a message via AIM to likwid
Quote:
They would have aborted that problem "too sweet"
There's this amazing thing called google out there. It can even find the phrase "Tout de suite" for you.

Try it some time so you don't look so silly.

Ski Quicks Hole
Old 09-05-2008, 01:13 PM   #19
PaulS

Quote:
Originally Posted by slapshot View Post
Is that a typo?
Did your computer break b/f you had a chance to read the next line?
Old 09-05-2008, 01:39 PM   #20
Nebe

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIJIMMY View Post
The country has a lot of challenges ahead, and I think Bush or no Bush we'd be in the same place or worse
Are you kidding me?? Good god man. Any sensible non currupt person would have dealt with 9/11 on a more sensible level. Afghanistan would have been a bloodbath but the job would have been done right and I cant say if Obama. oops I mean Osama would have been killed or captured, but I guarantee you that the lies and twisted logic that was used to drag us into Iraq would never have happened.
Old 09-05-2008, 06:49 PM   #21
slapshot

Google muslim beheading videos, then tell me they should get the same rights we have. They are treated beyond fairly.

bluefish Jihadist
Old 09-05-2008, 07:15 PM   #22
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

why the hell did I just do that . disgusting.

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
Old 09-05-2008, 07:35 PM   #23
MAC

Quote:
Google muslim beheading videos, then tell me they should get the same rights we have. They are treated beyond fairly.

That's how I feel. And before someone pipe in "it's only the extremists"... They should be policing their own.

Let the flames wars start. I'm not getting in this one.
Old 09-05-2008, 08:10 PM   #24
Mike P
Jiggin' Leper Lawyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishermanTim View Post
That the bulk of conversation regarding the election right now is the comparison between the Democratic PRESIDENTIAL candidate and the Republican VICE-PRESIDENTIAL candidate?

One comment I want to make in response to media inquiries regarding Sarah Palin and who will be raising her children if / WHEN she's in office would be this: The same person(s) that help raise the Clinton's, Reagan's, Ford's and Carter's, that's who!

Plus you can't tell me that should Obama win, that his wife is just going to quit her job and be a stay at home mom to raise her kids.
(Who has been raising them since the campaign began?)

Remember, what's good for the goose is good for the gander!
What do people think that a Vice President actually does? Except for when she's traveling as the President's representative, her main job would be presiding over the Senate when it's in full session--she doesn't even have to attend committee meetings. The Senate also has a President pro tem who does that job if the VP can't be there.

By this logic, every Senator with young children should resign, too, as their job is even more time intensive that the VPs

An active in policy affairs VP like Cheney is a historical aberration. Do the people in the media understand that we've had 50-odd VPs besides Cheney, and that most of them were equally insignificant unless they had to succeed the President?

Being VP is the ultimate part-time job.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools, because they have to say something.
Old 09-06-2008, 09:19 AM   #25
Nebe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike P View Post
What do people think that a Vice President actually does?
Gov. Palin had to ask that very question last week
Old 09-06-2008, 09:45 AM   #26
spence

Quote:
I've yet to hear anyone on either side claim that known violent terrorists deserve the same rights that you and I currently have.

-spence
Old 09-06-2008, 12:22 PM   #27
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIJIMMY View Post

TRIPOLI, Libya - Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice said Friday that her historic visit to former pariah state Libya proves that the U.S. never writes off another nation forever.
Ya, and a well placed missile down Kadafi's chimney, compliments of Regan, sure helped to bring them around.

One of the few very things these rouge states really understand is military strength.

" Choose Life "
Old 09-06-2008, 01:33 PM   #28
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by justplugit View Post
One of the few very things these rouge states really understand is military strength.
Generally speaking I'd agree with that statement.

It's also why Iran will never attack Isreal regardless of how hawkish pundits will claim it's a true threat. They know they'd be wiped off the map.

-spence
Old 09-06-2008, 04:01 PM   #29
Mike P
Jiggin' Leper Lawyer

What do you figure the flight time of an intermediate range ballistic missile is, from southern Iran to Jerusalem or Tel Aviv?

If Russian missiles can reach North America in 15 minutes--do the Israelis get even 5 minutes warning? Israel has several potential enemies and not all of their warheads are necessarily targeted on Iranian cities and military installations. Retargeting is pretty easy, but it does require some time--which they may not get.

Retaliation requires two things--enough surviving armaments of your own, and someone to give a launch order. In the confusion over command between the first and second strikes, Iran could destroy both Israel and its retalitory capacity.

The location of Israel's strategic missiles isn't a secret, and it's a small country. They can't spread them out over thousands of square miles of prairie, the way we do.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools, because they have to say something.
Old 09-06-2008, 04:36 PM   #30
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike P View Post
What do you figure the flight time of an intermediate range ballistic missile is, from southern Iran to Jerusalem or Tel Aviv?

If Russian missiles can reach North America in 15 minutes--do the Israelis get even 5 minutes warning? Israel has several potential enemies and not all of their warheads are necessarily targeted on Iranian cities and military installations. Retargeting is pretty easy, but it does require some time--which they may not get.

Retaliation requires two things--enough surviving armaments of your own, and someone to give a launch order. In the confusion over command between the first and second strikes, Iran could destroy both Israel and its retalitory capacity.

The location of Israel's strategic missiles isn't a secret, and it's a small country. They can't spread them out over thousands of square miles of prairie, the way we do.
It's all moot.

Israel has a very capable backup response capability under the guise of the US Armed Forces.

I doubt Iran has the firepower to eliminate all of Israel's nukes without Russian help. Ans even if Iran launched a conventional missle attack Israel would probably turn Tehran into glass.

-spence