Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Plug Building - Got Wood?

Plug Building - Got Wood? Got Plug?

Old 04-29-2020, 07:53 PM   #1
Linesider82

Top Coat

I'm not big on caring about top coats on my plugs but when someone else asks me about something I'm making I tend to care much more about how it looks before I send it on its way.

I had been using whatever michaels had been carrying, etex? and have gone thru enough of that to know it yellows or gets bad over time.

I just ordered East Coast epoxy? Maybe the same thing, at least both part a and b are clear. I finally got some denatured alcohol to clean the plugs so that might help... What other rules am I likely breaking? I've got plenty of dust.

Can I scuff sand plugs with tons of bubbles and repaint? It's like my plugs have rabies or something.

-Mr. bubbles
Linesider82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 06:08 AM   #2
pbadad

Matt first off are these plastic plugs? U can use isopropyl alcohol to rid the plug of dust and grease. Mix the 2 part slow and i do 3-4 minutes. With createx which is thinner than the Flexcoat UV which I use 99% of the time use Better grade acid brush( horse hair) i get from fastenal or a Jen foam brush. Give brushes a rinse w/isopropyl. On the acid brushes I super glue the hairs into heel prior to use.
Apply and then use a heat gun or hairdryer to pass over epoxy to pop any bubbles and help the epoxy flow flat. If u have spinner great. If not flip until the epoxy sets. Usually an hour providing its not to thick. Give me a shout if needed.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
pbadad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 01:06 AM   #3
Linesider82

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbadad View Post
Matt first off are these plastic plugs? U can use isopropyl alcohol to rid the plug of dust and grease. Mix the 2 part slow and i do 3-4 minutes. With createx which is thinner than the Flexcoat UV which I use 99% of the time use Better grade acid brush( horse hair) i get from fastenal or a Jen foam brush. Give brushes a rinse w/isopropyl. On the acid brushes I super glue the hairs into heel prior to use.
Apply and then use a heat gun or hairdryer to pass over epoxy to pop any bubbles and help the epoxy flow flat. If u have spinner great. If not flip until the epoxy sets. Usually an hour providing its not to thick. Give me a shout if needed.
Hi Billy, yes plastic. I wiped with alcohol and found out the alcohol markers (Copic markers) get obliterated. So, that being said, I think from the time I demold to "paint" I need to handle them with gloves.

I have to handle them because of the pour hole and flash, that need trimming.

I'll call you. I want to thin my 1 part but not much so I can dip and drip.
Linesider82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 06:03 AM   #4
pbadad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linesider82 View Post
Hi Billy, yes plastic. I wiped with alcohol and found out the alcohol markers (Copic markers) get obliterated. So, that being said, I think from the time I demold to "paint" I need to handle them with gloves.

I have to handle them because of the pour hole and flash, that need trimming.

I'll call you. I want to thin my 1 part but not much so I can dip and drip.
Sure thing. Give me a shout.

Billy D.
pbadad is online now   Reply With Quote