Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 08-03-2011, 07:38 PM   #31
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
what are the odds he said it?
So now it's down to proving a negative?

-spence
Old 08-03-2011, 07:42 PM   #32
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by justplugit View Post
Fact is he had no comment when it frist came out.

If he was guiltless, you would think as VP of the United States he would be outraged
at the fact he was even accused of such a dastardly remark smearing
the ciitzens he was elected to serve.

What are we becoming.
Did he? I heard the denial pretty fast. Given he has a rep for foot in mouth I'd think an outraged position might be seen as even more fishy.

But the story true or not did lead to this retort by Sarah Palin.

Quote:
"If we were real domestic terrorists, President Obama would be wanting to pal around with us, wouldn't he?"

Priceless. And this is from the woman pulling many of those Tea Party strings...

-spence
Old 08-03-2011, 07:47 PM   #33
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
Did he? I heard the denial pretty fast. Given he has a rep for foot in mouth I'd think an outraged position might be seen as even more fishy.

Priceless. And this is from the woman pulling many of those Tea Party strings...

-spence
I'm pretty sure that she's referring to Obama's close friend and actual domestic "terrorist" Bill Ayers...I've never found that association very funny....and Obama never seemed to mind "negotiating" with THAT terrorist...great irony actually

Last edited by scottw; 08-03-2011 at 08:00 PM..
Old 08-03-2011, 07:50 PM   #34
scottw

Quote:
So now it's down to proving a negative?

-spence
"odds" given his habit of talking too much and saying stupid things...I'd put the odds pretty high...given his history
Old 08-04-2011, 09:53 AM   #35
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
Sorta kinda a shame to need to hold the Congress responsible to actually, you know, cut costs & spending.

We are UP to $47,000 per person (not taxpayer) in this country for our country's debt. In 2011. If things don't change, where will be in 2015? 2020?

How much is the right amount to pass on to our kids?
JohnR, the $14 trillion in "operating debt", which as you said works out to $47,000 per person, IS THE GOOD NEWS.

The bad news is, that doesn't count projected deficits for social security and medicare. Here's a link from MSNBC (I chose MSNBC so Spence can't claim I get all my data from the Tea Party newsletter)

Medicare's deficit 7 times Social Security's - politics - msnbc.com

According to MSNBC, the projected shortfall for social security and medicare is 31.5 trillion (3.7T for SS, 27.8T for medicare).

That adds an additional $105,000 in debt for every living American, to John's $47,000. So now we're at $152,000, or, $760,000 for my family of 5. Isn't that a fine kettle of fish! And that ignores state and local debts! Great!!

Here's what is amazing to me. NOBODY can refute these numbers. Yet when someone like Paul Ryan comes along and has the courage to say "gee, I think we need to fix this", THE VERY NEXT DAY, liberals make commercials showing Ryan pushing old ladies off a cliff. The very next day, liberals (including Obama) claim that conservatives hate old people and poor people! So according to the liberal wing of the Democratic party, unless you are fine with passing this debt to our kids, then you hate old people.

So, we have 14 trillion in operating debt, and 31.5 trillion in entitlement debt. That's a total of 45.5 trillion in extra revenue we need (unless we cut spending). How do we get this money? Liberals seem to think we can get it by increasing taxes a bit.

Let's examine that. Here is a link...

2011 United States federal budget - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

According to this link, 2011 spending might be about $3.8 trillion, compared to tax revenue of $2.2 trillion.

So. Let's assume that we double tax revenue (which we cannot), and assume that we don't pay any interest on that debt (which we do). Even in that rosy scenario, revenues increase to $4.4 trillion, so after we spend $3.8 trillion, we have $600 billion to pay down that debt. If we pay it down by $600 billion a year, it would take 76 years to accumulate the 45.5 trillion we need. Anyone here want to DOUBLE tax rates for 76 years?

Of coursem we cannot even come close to doubling tax revenue. Frequently I hear liberals say that the Bush tax cuts for the wealthy are driving all of this. Let's examine that. The highest estimate I have ever seen, of what we'd get if we eliminated tax cuts on those making over $250k, is $90 billion a year. Fine, let's assume we do that. Know how long it takes to get $45.5 trillion at $90 billion a year? Only 505 years, ignoring interest. What does this mean? It means that anyone who suggests that tax hikes will amount to anything, is wrong.

What does this mean? It means that we cannot BEGIN to tax our way out of this. It means we need massive spending cuts. If any liberals here think we can tax our way out of this, please show me the data to show how. I'm a math guy...I'm rational, and I am easily persuaded by valid data. All the data I see, tells me that spending cuts, not tax hikes, are the fix.

We have a spending problem, not a revenue problem.

Good to be back! I have a 10 week old boy who is very collicky...

Last edited by Jim in CT; 08-04-2011 at 10:17 AM..
Old 08-04-2011, 10:28 AM   #36
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Quote:

-spence
Depends on what pretty fast means.
Point being the White House would neither confirm or deny when it was reported. Source, Smearing the Tea Party-Boston Globe.
Guess the WH couldn't have gotten to him pretty fast. His cell phone musta been outa order.
Nice try to deflect to Palin, a citizen not elected to hold office and serve the citizens.

With Norway fresh in mind and 9/11, comparing American Citizens, who
want to cut taxes and cap spending, being compared to terrorists shows the
left will stop at nothing to smear others who differ with their ideals.
They reached a new low. Sad.

" Choose Life "
Old 08-04-2011, 04:09 PM   #37
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
JohnR, the $14 trillion in "operating debt", which as you said works out to $47,000 per person, IS THE GOOD NEWS.

We have a spending problem, not a revenue problem.

Good to be back! I have a 10 week old boy who is very collicky...
Thanks for increasing my migraine.

Congrats on the new baby .

I've been colicky the past 10 weeks too

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 08-04-2011, 04:21 PM   #38
UserRemoved1
Permanently Disconnected

Jim good post. Congrats on the runt