Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » The Scuppers

The Scuppers This is a new forum for the not necessarily fishing related topics...

Old 04-07-2005, 12:22 PM   #1
MartinD18

Gas prices - opinions

With gas prices rapidly climbing toward $3 a gallon, and forecast to go higher this summer, will that effect where you fish and how often? That mountain bike with rod racks is looking better and better to me...
I don' even want to think about what it will be at the dock.
MartinD18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 12:59 PM   #2
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Shameless Plug

http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripert...highlight=fuji

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
The Dad Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 01:20 PM   #3
fishweewee

Send a message via AIM to fishweewee
Arrow

I'm not sure if the extent of rising gas prices is fully appreciated by most people yet.

I really think $1.50/gallon (never mind $2 or $3 or $4 or God forbid $5) is going to make even well-to-do people seriously think twice about making certain long trips. For most people, higher gas prices means less money that can be spent on other things.

On the flip side, this could be good news for locals turned off by summer traffic congestion and crowds (you guys over the Bridge on the Cape) - but I would add that there will be a palpable negative economic impact as a result of fewer visitors.

This is bad, unstably high energy prices could really push us into a recession.
fishweewee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 02:00 PM   #4
Raven

Thumbs up thats why.........

when i first read that article about $3.00 bucks a gallon for GAS...i said to afford that! i have to cut costs elsewhere....and with food prices escalating just as fast>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
as fuel prices .... since they are inter-related... i decided to grow as much food as POSSIBLE... and stocking up several freezers with (food saver) frozen veggies for summer ,fall, and Winter .
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 02:12 PM   #5
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Send a message via AIM to BigFish
Won't change how I fish one iota!

Almost time to get our fish on!!!
BigFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 02:16 PM   #6
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

My 4-runner is dying, my next car will be the Toyota Highlander Hybrid, 4wd, 6 cyl and gets @ 30 mpg highway.
RIJIMMY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 02:28 PM   #7
taJon

I read somewhere that for every $0.01 that gas goes up, americans spend $3.8 million more a day at the pump. Gee I wonder why the oil companies won't produce more than they already are.

just wait till memorial day weekend, at least $3.00 a gallon.
taJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 02:39 PM   #8
Ed B

Fishweewee said "palpable negative economic impact"

Hey Ben you should get a job as a stock analyst. That looks like what I see in those yearly financial reports just before my stock takes nosedive.

Ed
Ed B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 02:46 PM   #9
Pete_G

Ironic how the legacy of this president, rightfully or wrong, will be associated with the end of low fuel prices.

The talking heads on CNN and Fox are talking about $100 or more per barrel in a couple years.

Energy policy?

FWW is right on, this is bad, and it needs more attention than it is getting from the gov't.
Pete_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 02:56 PM   #10
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete_G
Ironic how the legacy of this president, rightfully or wrong, will be associated with the end of low fuel prices.

The talking heads on CNN and Fox are talking about $100 or more per barrel in a couple years.

Energy policy?

FWW is right on, this is bad, and it needs more attention than it is getting from the gov't.

Its funny, Americans are champions of Capitalism until,....it does not work in their favor. This is supply and demand, nothing more. WHat can the government do? SUV sales are still through the roof, looks like people are okay with paying big $ on gas. My house value has gone up, sucks for new home buyers , great for me. Should the government step in and lower the value of my house? Pete G, plug prices are out of control....will you lower them? Should the Govt. tell you to? Should they make Habs sell his needles for $8, Of course not. Its a free market system. Hopefully the entrepreneurial side of America will rear its head and we'll come up with a low-cost, low emission alternative to oil. If 9/11 wasn't a smack in the face, hopefully this will be. If you dont want to pay high prices for gas, dont buy it, very simple concept.
RIJIMMY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 02:57 PM   #11
MartinD18

The petroleum industry's own research group released a report this week predicting $105 a barrel by the end of the year.
So, still feeling good about that Ford Executioner or Chevy Subdivision you bought????

Best one seen lately (although I happen to agree with the sentiment, just not the way it was delivered): a "Stop the Steel Forset" (anti-wind farm) sticker on the back of a shiny new .............. Range Rover!!!!!
MartinD18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 02:59 PM   #12
hooked

It won't effect how much I fish at all (I don't get to go often enough anyway) but in might have an impact on where I go.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gas.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	26.5 KB
ID:	8719  
hooked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 03:05 PM   #13
ThrowingTimber
It's about respect baby!

Anyone know who makes a rod rack that can be mounted on a vespa?

Domination takes full concentration..
ThrowingTimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 03:07 PM   #14
outfished

My Father and Mother who live in the great white north is today paying .99 cents per liter, thats about 3 1/2 bucks per gallon! I visit there once or twice per year and I've noticed people sill love their SUV's and loooong trips. Hasn't slowed them down any and I'm not so sure it would change too many folk's driving habits around here?
outfished is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 03:08 PM   #15
fishweewee

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed B
Fishweewee said "palpable negative economic impact"
Hey Ben you should get a job as a stock analyst. That looks like what I see in those yearly financial reports just before my stock takes nosedive.
Ed
Um, Ed, that IS what I do for a living.
Old 04-07-2005, 03:50 PM   #16
Nebe

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishweewee
This is bad, unstably high energy prices could really push us into a recession.

what do you mean 'could' ??????
Nebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 03:50 PM   #17
redlite

"FWW is right on, this is bad, and it needs more attention than it is getting from the gov't."
- I find it strange that the president will get up in the middle of the night to become involved in a right to die issue in Florida and seems to do nothing regarding this gas "crisis". We invaded one of the largest oil producing regions in the world to protect the oil supply. Where's my benefit from that?

As my father has told me every time I complain about it gas prices when I have to fill up my 33 gallon tank in my truck. He says:

"Think about it. People pay $1.50 for a 2 LITER bottle of COKE. All that is is sugar and water. It does nothing. You can't run your car on it. SO think about what you are getting out of a GALLON of gas. 17 miles that you don't have to walk."

It is gonna be hard times ahead for a lot of people due to economic changes like what people have talked about. Spending more on gas = spending less on something else. TAxes keep going up, cost of living keeps going up, and income is not.

At least liqour is still abou the same and affordable to help me think less about it.
redlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 04:19 PM   #18
PI guy

%$%$%$%$ probably hasn't had to pay for his own gas in quite some time now so it hasn't bothered him.

Quote:
Think about it. People pay $1.50 for a 2 LITER bottle of COKE.
Have you bought bottled water lately?
PI guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 04:30 PM   #19
fishweewee

Lightbulb

Like I said in another thread, yeah, you might pay $1.50 for a liter of coke, but you don't need to drink 15-20 gallons of coke every week, do you?
Old 04-07-2005, 04:38 PM   #20
BadBass

Supply and Demand?

It's not your standard(no pun intended Mr. Rockafeller) supply and demand system when the suppliers are all in cahoots with each other(see OPEC).
It sucks and there is nothing we can do about it, except FISH AND FORGET!!
BadBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 04:45 PM   #21
Nebe

as someone who depends on about 800 gallons of propane a month to make a living, i might have to think about a carreer change, or raise my prices 30%............. i'm pissed.
Nebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 04:48 PM   #22
Pete_G

My post had NOTHING to do with price setting, it IS about encouraging the import of oil. It's about a healthy energy policy.

Bottom line is a good relationship with the Middle East and other oil producing areas is important, that's where the oil is (even the most optimistic estimates re: Alaska show that it won't do much to effect supply, offshore drilling is another story). You're completely right, supply and demand is the issue and the way it should be. We (the gov't) encourage the purchase of huge vehicles thru tax breaks, while angering oil producing countries. Supply and demand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIJIMMY
Its funny, Americans are champions of Capitalism until,....it does not work in their favor. This is supply and demand, nothing more. WHat can the government do? SUV sales are still through the roof, looks like people are okay with paying big $ on gas. My house value has gone up, sucks for new home buyers , great for me. Should the government step in and lower the value of my house? Pete G, plug prices are out of control....will you lower them? Should the Govt. tell you to? Should they make Habs sell his needles for $8, Of course not. Its a free market system. Hopefully the entrepreneurial side of America will rear its head and we'll come up with a low-cost, low emission alternative to oil. If 9/11 wasn't a smack in the face, hopefully this will be. If you dont want to pay high prices for gas, dont buy it, very simple concept.
Old 04-07-2005, 04:57 PM   #23
fishweewee

Smile

It's not entirely OUR fault that oil prices are going up.

China and India are starting to hog demand because their own industrialized economies are taking off.

Piss off the Chinese. Stop buying their stuff.
Old 04-07-2005, 05:33 PM   #24
Crafty Angler
Geezer Gone Wild

I read that Texaco is trying to buy out Unical to the tune of 80 or so billion $$$ - give or take a few.

Hmmmm....now where could they possibly have gotten that kind of cheese for a move like that?

A few pennies a gallon starts to add up after a while, I guess -

"There is no royal road to this heavy surf-fishing. With all the appliances for comfort experience can suggest, there is a certain amount of hard work to be done and exposure to be bourne as a part of the price of success." From "Striped Bass," Scribner's Magazine, 1881.
Crafty Angler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 05:44 PM   #25
Backbeach Jake

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFish
Won't change how I fish one iota!
Me either, but it'll probably change some other things.
Backbeach Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 05:59 PM   #26
Pete_G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eben
as someone who depends on about 800 gallons of propane a month to make a living, i might have to think about a carreer change, or raise my prices 30%............. i'm pissed.
Charter boats must be loving the price hike too...
Old 04-07-2005, 07:02 PM   #27
MotoXcowboy

here's one alternative. http://www.greaseworks.org/svo
MotoXcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 08:48 PM   #28
Pete_G

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoXcowboy
here's one alternative. http://www.greaseworks.org/svo
It would be great if they advance that technology one step further and then market it better. Market it like Honda is doing with their new hybrid Accord. Most consumers don't want to compromise performance in the name of saving fuel, but if they can go faster while saving fuel they're all for it.
Old 04-07-2005, 09:21 PM   #29
Mike P
Jiggin' Leper Lawyer

Since this has become less of a "how will it affect your fishing" and more of a political thread, I'm gonna shift it over to the Scuppers.
Mike P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 10:36 AM   #30
"uffah!!"

Gas Prices

Well, Exxon/Mobil (Same now) and Shell are the highest price gas. We all should boycott those brands. They will have to lower there prices and so will other brands to compete. In other words lets start a Gas War! I think its time to show the oil company that its the consumer who will control gas prices and not the oil companies. Myself, I will not buy Exxon/Mobil or Shell for the rest of the year.
"uffah!!" is offline   Reply With Quote