Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » The Scuppers

The Scuppers This is a new forum for the not necessarily fishing related topics...

Old 03-19-2013, 07:22 PM   #1
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

lock your car

some A- Hole broke into our cars last nite. Of course my car and truck were unlocked, wife is smarter. I left my wallet with everything in it in my new car, Bye bye everything, truck was just tossed as it was empty of all drug buying stuff. Saw foot prints in the snow this morning at 5. Said who the hell is walking down my long driveway in the middle of the friggin nite, then it sank in. Man I hate going to the registry. Live and learn. Can't even have anything in your own friggin yard anymore without bung holes sneaking in.

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
ProfessorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 08:01 PM   #2
PRBuzz
BuzzLuck

Send a message via Skype™ to PRBuzz
That sucks! If someone really wants something in your car they will get it, locked or not.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
PRBuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 08:06 PM   #3
Jackbass
Land OF Forgotten Toys

That sucks I have been ripped off multiple times here in Worcester(surprise) once had my lock taken off at the gym the week before Christmas ran up my CC's over 20,000 in two hours. Fortunstely I didn't have to eat any of that.

Three times at the office once had a rack body with crane stolen along with close to twenty thousand dollars worth of miscellaneous hand tools etc.

My wife wonders why I want an LTC.

My least favorite part of all of this was providing surveillance footage to WPD to have them do nothing about it.
Jackbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 08:17 PM   #4
Smulax

When I lived in south Bellingham near Woonsocket it happened to me too. They got all the pennies in the ash tray. But it was enough to get me to lock the truck
Smulax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 08:17 PM   #5
Slingah

well that s*cks! I'd say at least they didn't steal the car or truck!

Live at Leeds
Slingah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 09:06 PM   #6
Hookedagain

That really bites
Paul. My wife's girlfriend lives over by the RV place on 79 and they were hit two nights ago.
Hookedagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 09:16 PM   #7
JohnnySaxatilis

That sucks Paul. Im terrible at locking stuff up. There have been a string of home robberies in the neighborhood recently, the police then tracked the stolen ipad to the next street over... wicked smaht

something clever and related to fishing
JohnnySaxatilis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 09:49 PM   #8
tysdad115

That sucks Paul. Sorry to hear.
tysdad115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 03:49 AM   #9
Higgie

Sorry to hear paul. Happened to me twice in my own driveway last summer. And I could throw a baseball from my front steps to the police department. Neighborhood kid came to my door with her father two months later found my wallet in the cemetery. Come to find out one of my rear doors doesn't lock when I hit the clicker.
Higgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 08:29 AM   #10
Slipknot
Super Moderator

uuuuhg that really sucks Paul
what a hassle you don't need dealing with replacing all the junk in your wallet. don't leave it in your car EVER
ya lock your doors, could have been worse

I hate thieves

I hope they didn't get any plugs

The United States Constitution does not exist to grant you rights; those rights are inherent within you. Rather it exists to frame a limited government so that those natural rights can be exercised freely.

1984 was a warning, not a guidebook!

It's time more people spoke up with the truth. Every time we let a leftist lie go uncorrected, the commies get stronger.
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 08:46 AM   #11
Bronko

That sucks Paul. Hope they catch the dirt bags.

The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope. ~John Buchan
Bronko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 08:59 AM   #12
PaulS

That sucks.

I have heard that most car theft are as a result of not locking the car.
PaulS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 09:04 AM   #13
GregW
Secretsquirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorM View Post
some A- Hole broke into our cars last nite. Of course my car and truck were unlocked, wife is smarter. I left my wallet with everything in it in my new car, Bye bye everything, truck was just tossed as it was empty of all drug buying stuff. Saw foot prints in the snow this morning at 5. Said who the hell is walking down my long driveway in the middle of the friggin nite, then it sank in. Man I hate going to the registry. Live and learn. Can't even have anything in your own friggin yard anymore without bung holes sneaking in.
That is pretty brazen to walk up a long driveway.
I can't stand thieves.
GregW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 10:04 AM   #14
JohnnyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smulax View Post
When I lived in south Bellingham near Woonsocket it happened to me too. They got all the pennies in the ash tray. But it was enough to get me to lock the truck
Woonsocket is a dead city.

Couple years ago while I was living in Franklin, I got talking to one of the town cops. He said that most of the drug crime they are seeing in Franklin comes from Woonsocket. There were two home invasions over the course of a few months, if I remember correctly, both stemmed from scum out of Woonsocket.

Then there is this piece published in the Washington Post about how the entire town hasn't been thrust into bankruptcy only because of food stamps...
Food stamps put Rhode Island town on monthly boom-and-bust cycle - The Washington Post
JohnnyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 11:25 AM   #15
Fishpart
Keep The Change

Unlocked cars are a target of opportunity. People walk around the neighboroods and hop in unlocked cars and hop out, you will probably notice the doors left propped open just enough so the light is out and no one hears the door closing. Years ago it happened to me when I lived in a sub division; I could see tracks in the dew covered grass going from house to house. Couple bucks in change out of every other car in a 100 house development is it worth it?

“It’s not up to the courts to invent new minorities that get special protections,” Antonin Scalia
Fishpart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 12:16 PM   #16
Saltheart

The night my sisters obituary appeared in the newspaper , someone(s) broke into her car in the driveway.

There are ruthless theives out there. Sometimes, when in a bad mood , I think they should get their hands cut off when caught

Saltheart
Custom Crafted Rods by Saltheart
Saltheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 12:59 PM   #17
Mike P
Jiggin' Leper Lawyer

Here's the way I operate. I don't leave anything of value in my car, and I leave the doors unlocked. I leave some loose change in the cup holder. I call it "windows insurance". Cheaper in the long run than replacing broken windows.

I can't begin to count the number of people that I know who, over the years, came back on their cruisers from fishing the Canal and were treated to the sight of broken glass on the ground next to their vehicle door. Smash and grabs. Every week, the Enterprise's police log page is loaded with them.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools, because they have to say something.
Mike P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 08:55 PM   #18
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Sorry to hear P.
That feeling of violation stinks.

" Choose Life "
justplugit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 05:28 AM   #19
Raven

time for a motion detector flood lamp

sorry for your losses Paul
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 06:13 AM   #20
Guppy
User

Dog + shot gun + scotch
Scotch before RMV

Good luck, Gup
Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 06:46 AM   #21
O.D. Mike

Sorry to hear that Paul, I like to "keep people honest" by locking my car doors and covering up anything of value inside the car.

"Always two there are, no more, no less: a master and an apprentice." >> Yoda
O.D. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 07:23 AM   #22
ThrowingTimber
It's about respect baby!

motion detector flood lamp and fire until slide locks

Domination takes full concentration..
ThrowingTimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 11:37 AM   #23
Rockfish9

that sucks paul.... I never lock mine ... but i dont leave anything of value in it either... I'd rather them trash the inside and find nothing than smash a window and find nothing..

A good run is better than a bad stand!
Rockfish9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 12:22 PM   #24
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

I had someone smash the window of car to steal kitchen utensils....you know, Spatula, spoons and the such.

Peoiple will steal anything

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
The Dad Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 12:30 PM   #25
FishermanTim

Unfortunately, by leaving your doors unlocked, you are only helping to keep these scumbags in business and prrevent them from getting caught.

Heck, why not just pin a $50 to the wind shield and call that an acceptable loss?

I'm not knocking people for trying to deter possible damages that these scum will create, but rather alerting you to the possiblilty that your actions are not a deterrent at all!

If you leave your vehicle unlocked all the time, these scumbags will come back time and time again hoping that one time you forget and leave valuables in your vehicle.

How about setting out "landmines" (bear traps) in your driveway and yard before a heavy snowfall, and see how LUCKY the scum bag really is??? (Of course you will need to remember where you plant them for your own safety!)

Last edited by FishermanTim; 03-22-2013 at 11:15 AM..

I am a legend in my own mind!
FishermanTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 12:30 PM   #26
GregW
Secretsquirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike P View Post
Here's the way I operate. I don't leave anything of value in my car, and I leave the doors unlocked. I leave some loose change in the cup holder. I call it "windows insurance". Cheaper in the long run than replacing broken windows.

I can't begin to count the number of people that I know who, over the years, came back on their cruisers from fishing the Canal and were treated to the sight of broken glass on the ground next to their vehicle door. Smash and grabs. Every week, the Enterprise's police log page is loaded with them.
Mike,
I can understand your point. But, am confused at your wording a bit. Would your auto insurance cover the broken window? I know that you are referring to avoiding the hassle all together, but now I am wondering.
GregW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 01:46 PM   #27
Matt D

One thing we rarely have to worry about up here "halfway to Canada". My truck has a frozen auto-lock servo and I can't lock it. Should probably get it fixed before fishing season.

Sorry to hear you got whacked Paul.
Matt D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 08:06 PM   #28
Mike P
Jiggin' Leper Lawyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishermanTim View Post
Unfortunately, by leaving your doors unlocked, you are only helping to keep these scumbags in business and prrevent them from getting caught.

Heck, why not just pin a $50 to the wind shield and call that an acceptable loss?

I'm not knocking people for trying to reter possible damages that these scum will create, but rather alerting you to the possiblilty that your actions are not a deterrent at all!

If you leave your vehicle unlocked all the time, these scumbags will come back time and time again hoping that one time you forget and leave valuables in your vehicle.

How about setting out "landmines" (bear traps) in your driveway and yard before a heavy snowfall, and see how LUCKY the scum bag really is??? (Of course you will need to remember where you plant them for your own safety!)
You don't live here. I do. If you think that the local cops are going to stake out Canal lots to catch smash and grab thieves, you're mistaken. A few years back, a couple of clowns with sawzalls were stealing catalytic converters in broad daylight from the Park and Ride in Sagamore. They only got caught because a Statie happened to be coming off the bridge and saw them in the act. One guy split, and the guy under the car working the sawzall couldn't get out from underneath in time. Not too long ago, it was so bad that a certain Statie took it upon himself to cruise the Canal lots, and even the service road, checking things out and warning fishermen about the rash of car break-ins. Locking your doors only slows them down. Takes 2 seconds to wrap a rock in an old sock and smash a window.

Greg, after too many insurance claims, some companies will drop your full glass coverage. And driving home sitting on shards of broken glass sucks. I've done it.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools, because they have to say something.
Mike P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 05:10 AM   #29
Raven

Having been ripped off many times from my vehicle i did something unusual
that stopped all my break ins permanently. I installed american padlocks. These are not your typical locks. They are in the shape of a hockey puck and the hasp
is internal on the back side. The hardware was all hardened steel and nothing but a torch could cut them off. I had a ford Van and i had 5 of these on there and then i'd exit the rear door when being away. IT worked beautiful because i went to the car thief capital of the world (chula vista ) sandiego some people call little mexico and although they set the alarm off (several times)there was just no way
they were going to get a door open. the engine lid was american padlocked underneath too so no opening that either.
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 06:10 AM   #30
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

I understand the away from home stuff but in your own friggin driveway is the part that pissed me off most.
ProfessorM is offline   Reply With Quote