Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » The Scuppers

The Scuppers This is a new forum for the not necessarily fishing related topics...

Old 02-15-2007, 06:35 AM   #1
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

What's wrong with this picture? (uhh - nothing)

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17159232/

Quote:
SAN ANTONIO - An Air Force drill sergeant and former Iowa National Guard member who posed nude for Playboy magazine has been removed from active duty, she said Wednesday. Whether that amounts to an honorable discharge, as Michelle Manhart also says, is unclear.

Manhart, who appeared in a six-page spread in Playboy's February issue, said she got word Friday that she was removed from "extended active duty" and was also told that she was demoted in rank from staff sergeant to senior airman.

"I'm disappointed in our system," Manhart told The Associated Press on Wednesday. "They went too far with it."

Manhart said that being removed from duty meant that she reverted to her Air National Guard status and that she submitted a "resignation" to the Guard, which she said is pending. Manhart was a member of the Iowa Air National Guard before going on extended active duty.

Manhart offered The AP a copy of a signed "request and authorization for separation" form that indicates her "character of service" was "honorable." It is not clear whether the form is an official discharge order.

Oscar Balladares, a spokesman for Lackland Air Force Base, confirmed that Manhart was removed from extended active duty on Friday, but he said Lackland did not discharge her.

"She was not discharged, but she was removed from active duty status and thus reverted to National Guard status," Balladares said. "It is not up to the Air Force — it is not our jurisdiction to discharge her."

Lt. Col. Greg Hapgood, a spokesman for the Iowa National Guard, said, "At this point we don't have any separation documents regarding Senior Airman Manhart and until we receive documentation of her separation from the Air Force, at this point we don't have her on duty status in the Iowa National Guard."

Appeared in uniform
Manhart, a 30-year-old mother of two, said the military's action against her hinged on the fact that she was pictured in the magazine wearing her uniform.

She was photographed in uniform yelling and holding weapons under the headline "Tough Love." The following pages showed her partially clothed wearing dog tags while working out, as well as completely nude. After the pictorial hit newsstands in January, Manhart was relieved of her duties pending an investigation.

Manhart said she was given a letter of reprimand in late January, told not to talk to the media and that an "unfavorable information file" was established on her. Her husband is also in the military.

Click for related content

Sergeant in trouble for Playboy photos | Video

Balladares said he could not comment on any of the "administrative actions" taken against her because of privacy concerns. He said, though, that she was not prohibited from talking to the media.

Manhart said she is looking forward to pursuing a modeling and entertainment career.

"My family is going to stay here, but I do have plans to pursue anything that comes my way, whether it be in L.A. or New York or Hollywood," she said. "As far as moving on in my life, I'm happy. I hope this works out for my family and me."

Playboy spokeswoman Theresa Hennessey said Playboy had no comment on Manhart's case.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	drillsgt.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	30.1 KB
ID:	19826  

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
JohnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 07:50 AM   #2
afterhours
Afterhours Custom Plugs

betcha she's dancin' with a pole in 2 years...

www.afterhoursplugs.com

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Afterh...428173?created

Instagram - afterhourscustom

Official S-B.com Sponsor

GAMEFISH NOW

"A GAMEFISH (WHICH STRIPED BASS SHOULD BE) IS TOO VALUABLE TO BE CAUGHT ONLY ONCE"...LEE WULFF
afterhours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 08:12 AM   #3
fishsmith
DDG-51

That's an eaiser out than going AWOL.
fishsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 09:47 AM   #4
kevin d

What kills me is that this bimbo thinks the Air Force is wrong. She did the job to supplement her income because the AF didn't pay her enough. I guess I did my time in the military all wrong. I didn't spend more than I made. I didn't have more kids than I could afford to feed and clothe. Champagne tastes on a root beer budget and now its the military's fault? What an idiot!
kevin d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 10:34 AM   #5
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin d View Post
What kills me is that this bimbo thinks the Air Force is wrong. She did the job to supplement her income because the AF didn't pay her enough. I guess I did my time in the military all wrong. I didn't spend more than I made. I didn't have more kids than I could afford to feed and clothe. Champagne tastes on a root beer budget and now its the military's fault? What an idiot!
See, I see it the other way....what's the BFD that she took her clothes off for a magazine. I don't see how that impacts her job performance.

The US Navy has spent Decades traveling the High Seas and grabbing at any piece of tail they could get there hands on, We had the most Extensive Adult Film Library in existence on my ship and would pump them through the onboard TV on a semi-regular basis. we had officers window shopping in Amsterdam on their AMEX cards....and that is all OK.

But This chick poses for Playboy (we ain't talking Hustler Here) and they bounce her butt out. Serious Double Standard.

and its Long been known that we seriously underpay our military. I see nothing wrong with trying to supplement your income....legally. she didn't break any laws.

Its also not like she pumped out a 1/2 dozen kids and kicked back on welfare doing nothing. She had the average american family, a husband and 2 kids....and she served as well as her husband who served.

I think the military needs to chill out on this one

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
The Dad Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 10:49 AM   #6
MAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
See, I see it the other way....what's the BFD that she took her clothes off for a magazine. I don't see how that impacts her job performance.

The US Navy has spent Decades traveling the High Seas and grabbing at any piece of tail they could get there hands on, We had the most Extensive Adult Film Library in existence on my ship and would pump them through the onboard TV on a semi-regular basis. we had officers window shopping in Amsterdam on their AMEX cards....and that is all OK.

But This chick poses for Playboy (we ain't talking Hustler Here) and they bounce her butt out. Serious Double Standard.

and its Long been known that we seriously underpay our military. I see nothing wrong with trying to supplement your income....legally. she didn't break any laws.

Its also not like she pumped out a 1/2 dozen kids and kicked back on welfare doing nothing. She had the average american family, a husband and 2 kids....and she served as well as her husband who served.

I totally agree. Notice it says ; extended active duty....

She is a looker too.
MAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 11:03 AM   #7
fishpoopoo
Wipe My Bottom

Cool

if she had a bigger rack and posed for hustler instead she would have gotten a cabinet-level promotion instead.

fishpoopoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 11:09 AM   #8
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Oh, I think that is a pretty Sizable Rack.....

Old 02-15-2007, 11:17 AM   #9
Mr. Sandman

Not a big deal but she should not have worn the uniform. There is where she made the mistake.
Mr. Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 11:38 AM   #10
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Sandman View Post
Not a big deal but she should not have worn the uniform. There is where she made the mistake.
I agree that wasn't to bright, but should that be just cause to end her military career.

I'm pretty sure a lot of Military Guys have done a lot of Scandalous things in Uniform and in Public, and they are still in the service.

Old 02-15-2007, 12:53 PM   #11
kevin d

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post

The key here is that she is not only held accountable to civil law but to the Uniform Code of Military Justice. She chose to live under those rules and regulations and is upset that when she violated them, she paid the price. As for the theory that just because someone else did something wrong so she shouldn't be held accountable for her actions, didn't that go out the window in 5th grade? You remember you folks saying "If Johnny jumped off the bridge would you jump too?" I personally don't care if she poses naked but it annoys me that she thinks the military is wrong for disciplining her for violating policies she knew she was violating.
kevin d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 01:20 PM   #12
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

homina homina homina

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Serial Mailbox Killer/Seal Fisherman
Swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 01:37 PM   #13
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin d View Post
The key here is that she is not only held accountable to civil law but to the Uniform Code of Military Justice. She chose to live under those rules and regulations and is upset that when she violated them, she paid the price. As for the theory that just because someone else did something wrong so she shouldn't be held accountable for her actions, didn't that go out the window in 5th grade? You remember you folks saying "If Johnny jumped off the bridge would you jump too?" I personally don't care if she poses naked but it annoys me that she thinks the military is wrong for disciplining her for violating policies she knew she was violating.
The UCMJ has nothing to do with what she did wrong. That is a set of rules that describe the Judicial Process in the Military, not a set of laws that you have to follow as a member of the Military. You are confusing the UCMJ with Army/Navy Regulations

If she was ordered to Not Pose In Playboy and then did it she could be charged, under the Guidlines of the UCMJ, with Disobeying a Lawful Order.

and as far as the 5th grade analogy I'm not saying she should get off because others do it....I just don't see a crime here. and the military doesn't either.

What is she being charged with?? Not for nothing But they don't have anything to legally charge her with...they are just not happy and they are sweeping her under the rug. Nowhere in that article does it say she was charged with anything they are just making her Non-active.

Old 02-15-2007, 03:17 PM   #14
Adamfishes

Send a message via AIM to Adamfishes
First of all ButtaFace.

This is unbelievable that they would discharge her. There has got to be something in between the lines that we don't see. Like she wouldn't service one of the service men who were going to discharge her.

Our country is famous for say one thing do another, got to love it!
Adamfishes is offline   Reply With Quote