Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 04-27-2011, 06:47 PM   #61
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
I don't think for a min. all repubs. or teabaggers are racists. However, I think the vast majority of racists are teabaggers.

Guess the racists I've seen in my life are a lot different than the racists you've seen in yours.

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 04-27-2011, 07:26 PM   #62
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Three pages???? Really???? WGAS???? Not me.More interested in finding a viable, competant replacement.....if I can survive this economy that long....

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
Old 04-27-2011, 10:08 PM   #63
striperman36
Old Guy

Birther's demand to see Obama's placenta!!

Afterbirthers Demand To See Obama's Placenta | The Onion - America's Finest News Source
Old 04-27-2011, 10:33 PM   #64
Jerkinthedark

I don't understand the argument? Obama is not the first completely non- qualified individual to hold this position, or, the only no substance, stuffed shirt to be elected President. However , he may be the first to get a free pass for his deplorable performance BECAUSE "he is different than you and I". Hope and Change is what I am looking forward to in the next election if one of the parties can offer us a candidate with some actual credentials and not a crowd favorite better suited to reality TV.
Old 04-28-2011, 04:21 AM   #65
UserRemoved
GrayBeards

Coffee on keyboard

Old 04-28-2011, 05:35 PM   #66
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
Really? Blanket statement? The problem is that when we are discussing the problems of the left you call it a fringe element yet when it goes to the right, the shadow casts far and wide as clearly all Tea Baggers are birthers are Republicans are racists. All one has to do is connect the dots.

P.S. - Obama's mother is a born US citizen, what else do we need to know?
While I've called out the racist elements I think gravitate towards the Tea Party I don't believe I've ever called the entire movement racist, rather I've asserted they need to own what's spread in their name...and a lot of Tea Party leadership have promoted these and other ideas along the same vein.

Regarding the Birther movement, it seems by the polls that this has infected moderate voters to some degree. While is sure seems like a crackpot theory to me a hell of a lot of Americans have responded to the constant drumbeat by the conspiracy theorists and Right Wing media. Why? I'd go back to the fear of the "other" and hence the race card...

I'm not aware of any other tin foil hat issue gaining so much public support in recent history.

-spence
Old 04-28-2011, 07:46 PM   #67
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
While I've called out the racist elements I think gravitate towards the Tea Party I don't believe I've ever called the entire movement racist, rather I've asserted they need to own what's spread in their name...and a lot of Tea Party leadership have promoted these and other ideas along the same vein.

Regarding the Birther movement, it seems by the polls that this has infected moderate voters to some degree. While is sure seems like a crackpot theory to me a hell of a lot of Americans have responded to the constant drumbeat by the conspiracy theorists and Right Wing media. Why? I'd go back to the fear of the "other" and hence the race card...
As for the racist thing, I'm surprised that you didn't use the opportunity to shape the strategic parly line and combine in Spencers fashion to use the words racist, birthers, republican, and tea baggers all in one sentence .

Part of the problem is the very wide brush being painted. Some people feel (myself included) that a Presidential Candidate needs to validate beyond a shadow of a doubt their eligibility to be President and on the key requirements is Natural Citizen. You can be a naturalized citizen and run for Congress, you cannot be a naturalized citizen and become Vice President or President. That is still the law. Back in the campaign days when people were harping on Obama, many on the left were bugging on McCain because he was born in Panama even though the children of Americans serving overseas (or Government officials) are considered born-here.

A lot of the kids I went to High School with were military brats born in Germany, Japan, and other corners of the world and most were all qualified to be president. The exceptions were those that were born when one of the parents was dual-citizenshiped in the host country that child was born in. A few of my friends had Amercian fathers, German mothers, and were born in Germany when they toured there before. Those kids were considered dual citizenship as well and had to choose their citizenship on reaching the age of 18 and IIRC they were not eligble to run for President.

Now Obama was born in Hawaii, it was a state, his mother is American, that discussion SHOULD be over.

But when anyone wants a high standard to be held for meeting the born citizen requirements they are now painted as birthers.

/rant

Quote:
I'm not aware of any other tin foil hat issue gaining so much public support in recent history.

-spence
I wish I had saved the link, yesterday on CNN (I think) I ran across an article where they were stating that 1 in 3 Democrats thought that Bush was either behind 9/11 or was aware of the plans to do it and did not prevent it. There's your foil hat. A few people here have made comments that indicate protecting their scalps from sunburn with shiny metallic headgear.

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 04-28-2011, 09:01 PM   #68
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
As for the racist thing, I'm surprised that you didn't use the opportunity to shape the strategic parly line and combine in Spencers fashion to use the words racist, birthers, republican, and tea baggers all in one sentence
HUH?

Quote:
Part of the problem is the very wide brush being painted. Some people feel (myself included) that a Presidential Candidate needs to validate beyond a shadow of a doubt their eligibility to be President and on the key requirements is Natural Citizen. You can be a naturalized citizen and run for Congress, you cannot be a naturalized citizen and become Vice President or President. That is still the law. Back in the campaign days when people were harping on Obama, many on the left were bugging on McCain because he was born in Panama even though the children of Americans serving overseas (or Government officials) are considered born-here.

A lot of the kids I went to High School with were military brats born in Germany, Japan, and other corners of the world and most were all qualified to be president. The exceptions were those that were born when one of the parents was dual-citizenshiped in the host country that child was born in. A few of my friends had Amercian fathers, German mothers, and were born in Germany when they toured there before. Those kids were considered dual citizenship as well and had to choose their citizenship on reaching the age of 18 and IIRC they were not eligble to run for President.

Now Obama was born in Hawaii, it was a state, his mother is American, that discussion SHOULD be over.

But when anyone wants a high standard to be held for meeting the born citizen requirements they are now painted as birthers.
I think it's reasonable to expect that US Presidential candidates are actually Constitutionally eligible to take office.

But has anyone ever produced a shred of real evidence that casts doubt on Obama's credentials?

Seriously, does an obviously fake Kenyan birth certificate, and a number of made up conspiracy theories require this kind of response? Has anyone else EVER had this kind of scrutiny? Or more to the point has it ever been used to discredit their entire existence?????

Quote:
I wish I had saved the link, yesterday on CNN (I think) I ran across an article where they were stating that 1 in 3 Democrats thought that Bush was either behind 9/11 or was aware of the plans to do it and did not prevent it. There's your foil hat. A few people here have made comments that indicate protecting their scalps from sunburn with shiny metallic headgear.
Hmmm, I assume you're referencing the 2006 Ohio University/Scrips poll of about 1000 people that answered:

Quote:
Question:
There are also accusations being made following the 9/11 terrorist attack. One of these is: People in the federal government either assisted in the 9/11 attacks or took no action to stop the attacks because they wanted to United States to go to war in the Middle East.

Answers: ( respondents)
Very likely 16%
Somewhat likely 20%
Not likely 59%
Don't know 5%

Source: New XHTML 1.0 Transitional Compliant Page
Given the wording of the question I'm actually surprised the 20% somewhat likely isn't a lot higher...

Seriously, I've looked at many right wing sites that have made this accusation and using their own links the data referenced doesn't seem to make their own point...

What gives???

-spence
Old 04-28-2011, 10:40 PM   #69
detbuch

Quote:

Do "racist elements" "gravitate" to other parties? "Racists" don't have a separate party, do they? Is there something special about "racists" that "gravitate toward" the Tea Party that they alone should be "called out"? Is the Tea Party more laden with racists than any other party or other segments of society? Do you have some solid numbers to verify that? How is the Tea Party supposed to "own" what you claim is being "spread" in their name? Much of the spreading seems to be done by anti-Tea Party types--those who over-hype supposedly racist signs (many of which are not actually racist so are branded as "code" for racism) and ignore the predominant non-racist signs that speak fiscal, constitutional agendas. Which Tea Party Leaders have promoted racist ideas? Do you believe Islam needs to own everything that is spread in its name?

-spence
As far as I have heard from major "Right Wing media," it regards the birthers as being crackpots as much as you do, and detrimental to the hopes of beating Obama in 2012. Most "right wingers" consider "left wingers" to be the "other", and would more than welcome a greater number of blacks, latinos, asians, and "moderate" whites to join them in defeating the "left wing" agenda.

Last edited by detbuch; 04-28-2011 at 10:48 PM..
Old 04-29-2011, 03:47 AM   #70
scottw

Quote:
HUH?

Has anyone else EVER had this kind of scrutiny?
Has a President or presidential candidate ever been demanded to show his vital records? The answer is a most definite yes. Even Senator McCain had to show his birth certificate, and provide verification that he was indeed born on US ground in the Canal Zone, to parents engaged in the service of the country.

Has there ever been a problem with those vital records, in which people were not convinced by them, or where the records were unclear? Again, this is a definite yes. Both Presidents Arthur and Jackson had issues concerning their birth and records. In the case of Jackson, there was a question as to which state he was actually born in, although he was most certainly born in a state. In the case of Arthur, there was a question that he might have had dual citizenship at birth, thereby precluding natural citizenship, because his father was an Irish national. It is likely that Mr. Obama will end up facing this same question.

Has there ever been a controversy which dragged on for so long? The answer to that is no.

In all the previous controversies, the people involved took it seriously, including the press. They worked to address the issues, to present evidence and witnesses, and obtained legal opinions or rulings. This is where Mr. Obama's handling of the issue is unique: he belittled and prolonged it.

McCarthy is great
http://www.nationalreview.com/corner...rew-c-mccarthy
Old 05-01-2011, 05:06 AM   #71
UserRemoved
GrayBeards

Obama mocks Trump's presidential ambitions - Yahoo! News

Ok this is some funny chit there.

"Obama's presentation started after the wrestler Hulk Hogan's patriotic anthem, "Real American," played. Images of Americana from Mount Rushmore to Uncle Sam were shown on the screen, alongside his birth certificate. And then he offered to show his live birth video, which turned out to be a clip from the Disney film, "The Lion King.""

"After a week when Obama released his long-form Hawaii birth certificate, he said Trump could now focus on the serious issues, from whether the moon landing actually happened to "where are Biggie and Tupac?""

"For Trump's decision to fire actor Busey instead of rock singer Meat Loaf from his TV show earlier this month, Obama quipped: "These are the types of decisions that would keep me up at night. Well handled, sir "

"And then, as a coup de grace, Obama showed a screen with his vision of how Trump could bring change to the White House. "Trump" was prominently displayed in glittery letters and girls could be seen with cocktails on a Jacuzzi-augmented front lawn."

Somethin tells me Donny ain't too happy
Old 05-01-2011, 05:14 AM   #72
scottw

glad to see that the president has plenty of time to joke, party, golf, go on Oprah and fundraise as the country swirls around the toilet bowl

he continues to be the least presidential president ever...definitely at his best when he is attacking a detractor that can't respond at that moment
Old 05-01-2011, 06:30 AM   #73
buckman

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
glad to see that the president has plenty of time to joke, party, golf, go on Oprah and fundraise as the country swirls around the toilet bowl

he continues to be the least presidential president ever...definitely at his best when he is attacking a detractor that can't respond at that moment
Coming to Boston next month and for a bargain price of 10K you can have your picture with him Pure class!!!
Old 05-01-2011, 07:07 AM   #74
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
for a bargain price of 10K you can have your picture with him Pure class!!!
"shared sacrafice"

let's see, now how did that line go?

oh, right...

"no trip on Air Force One to film Oprah ever fed a hungry child"
Old 05-01-2011, 08:18 AM   #75
UserRemoved
GrayBeards

Boy I was gonna say just that the other day but figured Spence would come down on me again for poking the dragon too much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post