Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 09-01-2012, 06:43 AM   #1
Jim in CT

White House gives stimulus money to run pro-Obama ads on MSNBC

Republican leaders probing stimulus cash for MSNBC ads | Fox News

Ah, that's stimulus money well-spent. Change I can believe in.

That was probably half of MSNBC's revenue for the year, given their ratings. It was also enlightening for me to learn that MSNBC takes money in return for touting Obama, I thought they did it out of blind love.
Old 09-01-2012, 09:51 AM   #2
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Ah yes, $2miilion to create 1 job for the booming Green Economy
that was supposed to be the answer a new wave of jobs and saving
the world.

" Choose Life "
Old 09-01-2012, 10:13 AM   #3
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by justplugit View Post
Ah yes, $2million to create 1 job
HILARIOUS@!
Old 09-01-2012, 10:47 AM   #4
spence

The Job Corps program has been around for decades, it's not intended to "create" jobs but rather provide education and vocational to young people. That a contractor would choose MSNBC as a target for young people interested in education for green jobs shouldn't come across as a surprise. It's a key demographic and I'm sure the rates were lower. Hell, they probably thought they could reach more potential recipients!

Interesting you'd choose to pick on this and not get this upset over the tens of billions we've thrown out the window in Iraq.

-spence
Old 09-01-2012, 11:02 AM   #5
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
The Job Corps program has been around for decades, it's not intended to "create" jobs but rather provide education and vocational to young people. That a contractor would choose MSNBC as a target for young people interested in education for green jobs shouldn't come across as a surprise. It's a key demographic and I'm sure the rates were lower. Hell, they probably thought they could reach more potential recipients!

Interesting you'd choose to pick on this and not get this upset over the tens of billions we've thrown out the window in Iraq.

-spence
Just being current, thats all.

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Serial Mailbox Killer/Seal Fisherman
Old 09-01-2012, 12:24 PM   #6
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Quote:
Hell, they probably thought they could reach more potential recipients!

-spence
Well I guess you could look at it that way, 1 is betta than 0.

" Choose Life "
Old 09-01-2012, 01:15 PM   #7
Jim in CT

Quote:

-spence
That's deeply offensive to someone who chose to go there, and on top of that, my company came back with 2 less Marines.

Spence, maybe one day I'll ask JohnR to post one the birthday cards I get every year from some of the regular folks we met in Iraq. These people's lives have been improved immeasurably with the death of Saddam. These people cannot express their love and gratitude for our country. Oil money that was once used to build torture chambers, is now used to build schools and medical clinics.

Was that worth the cost? Not for me to say. But for you to say that we just threw that money out the window, and literally got nothing for it?

You can do better than that, Spence.
Old 09-01-2012, 05:56 PM   #8
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
That's deeply offensive to someone who chose to go there, and on top of that, my company came back with 2 less Marines.

Spence, maybe one day I'll ask JohnR to post one the birthday cards I get every year from some of the regular folks we met in Iraq. These people's lives have been improved immeasurably with the death of Saddam. These people cannot express their love and gratitude for our country. Oil money that was once used to build torture chambers, is now used to build schools and medical clinics.

Was that worth the cost? Not for me to say. But for you to say that we just threw that money out the window, and literally got nothing for it?

You can do better than that, Spence.
Jim...I'm talking about the 60+ billion mismanaged and simply lost without any accountability due to waste and fraud. This has been documented very well, and for some reason many on the right just want to let it pass as the cost of doing war.

Yet you want to harp on a story (with few facts) about a small amount (relatively speaking) of money it looks like was used to get young people into programs around green technology to better prepare them for employment.

Quite different.

-spence
Old 09-01-2012, 07:10 PM   #9
scottw

Quote:

Quite different.

-spence
it appears as though the Obama years haven't been much better

US unable to account for Iraq funds

February 8, 2011

The US Defense Department cannot account for how it spent funds that belonged to the reconstruction of war-torn Iraq due to poor record keeping, a report says.

The Pentagon, entrusted with spending $9.1 billion on reconstruction projects in 2011, has failed to elucidate the whereabouts of this year’s money, a Press TV correspondent reported on Monday.

The US military agency has also refused to send any representatives to Iraq’s Supreme Audit Court to explain such an inappropriate use and undetected loss.

“The Pentagon must take immediate steps to address this issue. These funds are specifically to be used for the reconstruction of the country. And if such a huge amount is not accounted for, then it implies that some of it has been misused, whether for personal or military purposes,” Nariman Abdulla, a Kurdish lawmaker, said in Arbil.

The incident is the latest to fault American officials for mismanagement of Iraqi funds in the years following the US-led invasion of the country in March 2003. Last year, the US military mismanaged $8.7 billion in funds for Iraq, reports say.
Old 09-01-2012, 07:22 PM   #10
spence

That's not the point.

Look at the ratio.
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
it appears as though the Obama years haven't been much better

US unable to account for Iraq funds

February 8, 2011

The US Defense Department cannot account for how it spent funds that belonged to the reconstruction of war-torn Iraq due to poor record keeping, a report says.

The Pentagon, entrusted with spending $9.1 billion on reconstruction projects in 2011, has failed to elucidate the whereabouts of this year’s money, a Press TV correspondent reported on Monday.

The US military agency has also refused to send any representatives to Iraq’s Supreme Audit Court to explain such an inappropriate use and undetected loss.

“The Pentagon must take immediate steps to address this issue. These funds are specifically to be used for the reconstruction of the country. And if such a huge amount is not accounted for, then it implies that some of it has been misused, whether for personal or military purposes,” Nariman Abdulla, a Kurdish lawmaker, said in Arbil.

The incident is the latest to fault American officials for mismanagement of Iraqi funds in the years following the US-led invasion of the country in March 2003. Last year, the US military mismanaged $8.7 billion in funds for Iraq, reports say.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 09-01-2012, 07:25 PM   #11
scottw

Quote:
That's not the point.

Look at the ratio.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
sure it is, if we give him 4 more years his Pentagon will eclipse Bush's Pentagon for waste and fraud in Iraq/Afghanistan....doesn't that bother you?????