Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » Kayaking

Kayaking After the frequent attempts at Bribery, beatings, and simply getting towed at Sunrise - S-B opens the Kayak Forums Also see http://www.ultimatekayakfishing.com

Old 05-02-2008, 12:51 PM   #1
Megabyte

Hobie Mirage - experience

Thinkin' about going to the dark side and have been lookin' at Hobie Outback SUV with the Mirage drive. (Pedal drive).

I'd be interested in any feed back(good or bad) anyone might have.

Thanks

Megabyte

Enjoying Life !
Megabyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 04:22 PM   #2
bassackward

Tried it for 5 minutes. I just bought used Outback on Friday. Need to sell my Redfish12 now. Just knowing your hands are free and using your feet and rudder, you can hold position is awesome. You need to try it, to see if you like the position for pedaling. You can adjust length of pedal shaft and back support for full-comfort. If you have biked before, it is so easy and you don't need or want to push it too hard. You are so mush faster with little effort. They do cost quite a bit more than the others out there, however.

bassackward
John from Billerica

A wise old man once told me"It's better to wet your line than wet yourself"
bassackward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 05:03 PM   #3
patswin

I own a Revolution comming from a Tarpon 160, I love it granted I did not have big choice as I injured my shoulder in a mtn bike race so the mirage drive is great. Takes a little more imagination to rig because the drive pedals but a small compromise. It is great for maintaining trolling speed. They are slightly more expensive, but considering you get the drive paddel and a cart. With a standard yak after you buy a good paddel a cart and add a rudder system its not far off. I herd native or another company is comming out with a peddal drive that should be cool.
If you have any questions fire away, I often put in at colt state park so if you see a red dodge dakota with a orange hobie revolution down there say hello and you can take it for a spin.
patswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 07:11 PM   #4
Megabyte

PATSWIN

Where did you get your Rev'?

I have a Chevy Surburban and am concerned about getting the Revolution on top of it. Any secrets ?

I'd love to try it for a few minutes.

Megabyte

Enjoying Life !
Megabyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 08:07 PM   #5
Raven

pedal drive VS trolling motor

this is what i'm always wondering about

which is superior when it comes to trolling...

i realize there's a weight consideration there...
having the battery and trolling motor...

but i didn't know if the added electrical power

would be also desirable for say...NAV lights ....
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 06:57 AM   #6
patswin

I got mine at megrews in charlestown, I use four plane jane sadels no rollers but I load from the rear if you put a towel over the rear sadels it slides right up with the bow in the air. then again your truck is higher than mine.

As for trolling it is easy to maintain the speed for trooling ells or tube and worm, as for an umbrella or bunker spoon I have never tried that but have herd of it. The turbo fins make it easy to cruise at those speeds. I have a small battery for my FF and my nav light takes AA's
I dont think I would want to haul a trooling motor battery in the yak but it has been done.
Old 05-05-2008, 09:39 AM   #7
Raven

Arrow yeah the quiet man did it right

Quote:
Originally Posted by patswin View Post

As for trolling it is easy to maintain the speed for trolling eels or tube and worm, as for an umbrella or bunker spoon I have never tried that but have herd of it. The turbo fins make it easy to cruise at those speeds. I have a small battery for my FF and my nav light takes AA's
I dont think I would want to haul a trolling motor battery in the yak but it has been done.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
i don't have the link anymore but he had the killer set up for his KAYAK for the trolling motor bracket he made...prolly you can google the quietman kayak and find it

oh heck i'll do the leg work

here's his method of rigging the trolling motor
and allot of the kayak manufacturers are building kayaks now with 12 volt battery areas.... built in ...

http://www.martialartsacademy.org/qu...ctrickayak.htm
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 11:53 AM   #8
falkners

I don't know where you guys are located but in ct a trolling motor means you have to register the kayak.
falkners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 12:03 PM   #9
patswin

That is a nice setup, prob better with a nice deep tank well like the one in the link. Look like it scoots right along.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven View Post
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
i don't have the link anymore but he had the killer set up for his KAYAK for the trolling motor bracket he made...prolly you can google the quietman kayak and find it

oh heck i'll do the leg work

here's his method of rigging the trolling motor
and allot of the kayak manufacturers are building kayaks now with 12 volt battery areas.... built in ...

http://www.martialartsacademy.org/qu...ctrickayak.htm
Old 05-05-2008, 01:11 PM   #10
Rockport24
President - S-B Chapter - Kelly Clarkson Fan Club

ya see, I would think fumbling around with a trolling motor would be an equal amount of effort as fumbling with the paddle, so in that case, the pedal drive would be superior
Now if you rigged a foot pedal on the thing like on bass boats, now you're talking.

I'm gonna try my luck with the good old paddle and see how that goes!
Rockport24 is offline   Reply With Quote