Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Sports Talk - Title Town

Sports Talk - Title Town Sports Talk - Our Home for the 2004/2007 World Champion Red Sox, Super Bowl XXXVI, XXXVIII, XXXIX Champion Patriots! SEVENTEEN TIME NBA Champion Boston Celtics, 2011 winners of Lord Stanley's Cup Boston Bruins!!!

Old 10-01-2008, 12:16 PM   #1
EarnedStripes44

Sox & Angels: Game 1

Predictions and/or comments gentlemen/women? What will be the keys to success. Although on paper, one could say the angels are better, I agree, as Eric Wedge has opined, that the sox have an "uncanny ability to raise their level play of play when necessary" and we have been down this road before, as the underdog.

We have to take one of the first two games.
EarnedStripes44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 12:31 PM   #2
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

My Heart says Sox in 5....But my head says Angels in 4.

Sox are beat up right now, the Angels clinched awhile ago and got to take it a little easy for a couple of weeks.

Becketts hurt, Drew is hurt, Lowell is hurt...they look just like the '07 Angels

Oh Yeah....this also belongs in the Grumpy Old Pharts thread...WTF are they doing having a 10:00 Start.....I'm pretty sure this was the same division series as last year and they never started that late

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
The Dad Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 01:41 PM   #3
fishbones

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
Oh Yeah....this also belongs in the Grumpy Old Pharts thread...WTF are they doing having a 10:00 Start.....I'm pretty sure this was the same division series as last year and they never started that late
Yeah, you are being grumpy . Last year, they had games 1 and 2 in Boston and were 6:30 and 8:30 start times I think. Then, game 3 was in LA and was at 3:00 or 3:30 because it was on Sunday.

I took tomorrow off to fish, so I'll stay up and watch it. If I was working, I'd record it and watch the next morning while getting ready for work. It does suck that the tv networks decide when they play, though. Young kids can't stay up late to watch these games and older guys like me stay up and then are dragging at work the next day.

I think the Sox have a chance, but it will be really tough this year to beat the Angels. I agree with ES44 in that the Sox have definitely have to take a game out in LA.
fishbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 02:05 PM   #4
striperman36
Old Guy

Angels are 8 out of 9 against the Sox this year.
Need at least 1 in Anaheim
striperman36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 03:40 PM   #5
ThomCat

Sht, in the playoffs the Angels have had the Red Sox monkey on their backs "lo-o-o-o-og ti-i-i-i-i-ime" They need to go through the "Yankits" to be successful. Oh, that's right, THEY AIN'T IN IT!!!!
BTW....No Worries!!

Catch'em up,
ThomCat
ThomCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 04:08 PM   #6
striperman36
Old Guy

The Red Sox and Angels have met nine times in the playoffs since Oct. 12, 1986, and the Angels haven’t won a single time. The Angels blew a 3-1 lead in the ’86 ALCS, then were swept in the 2004 and ’07 Division Series to kick-start the Red Sox’ march to a pair of World Series titles.

OK OK, but we had Manny!!! NOT!!!

Did anyone see the interview from Mannywood?
http://bostonherald.com/sports/baseb...icleid=1122664
Old 10-02-2008, 04:27 AM   #7
ThomCat

That's ONE!!!!!!!!

Catch'em up,
ThomCat
ThomCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 06:38 AM   #8
fishsmith
DDG-51

Great game, well worth staying up for.

Lester throwing 96mph after 100+ pitches, NICE!!!

Jason Bay's big 2 run homer.

and thank you Vladdy, your out took away any wind left in the Angels sails.

GO RED SOX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
fishsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 09:38 AM   #9
EarnedStripes44

Lester was amazing, strong as a bull. As for Vlad, he probably did not sleep well last night. Where the hell was all that offensive muscle I hear about from the Angels.

Great game indeed. Nice way to get the momentum rolling
EarnedStripes44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 09:55 AM   #10
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Actually the Angels aren't an offensive juggernaut, they are like 10th in the league for offense.

Their strength is that they play very aggresive small-ball....always trying to stretch that single to a double or take that extra base on a single (hence why vladdy got thrown out), and they couple that with a solid pitching staff.

That was a good win because we got in their heads.....lets see what Dice-k can do for us......Could be interesting.

I would love to be proven wrong...

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
The Dad Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 11:12 AM   #11
Surfcastinglife

that was a great game....i'm incredibly useless at work this morning though...i hate the west coast!!
Surfcastinglife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 12:01 PM   #12
striperman36
Old Guy

When are they going to announce the starting time for Sunday?
Old 10-02-2008, 12:08 PM   #13
Sundowner

I see Dice K doing what he has all yr.: not losing on the road. and like Archie says, its in their heads. if it comes back to Boston 2-0, game over. interested in what t.b does today. Chi. white sox have had some exp. in the playoff so it will be good to see how rays respond, either way Sox in 08. W/ or W/O Beckett. hoping for rays/RSox alcs
Sundowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 02:02 PM   #14
FishermanTim

I loved the Ellsbury diving catch, where you could see the intensity on his face when rolled over and popped right back up. Then there was Youkolis's stab at the looping single that allowed him to pivot and throw Vlad out by a mile at third. The look on Vlad's face was priceless, kind of like the "deer in the headlights" look when he saw the ball pass him on to Lowell at 3rd.

Lester was fantastic. Pitching his way out of potential disaster, and coming back for more! Still pitching heat after 100+ pitches has got to be disheartening for the Angels, when you still have to face Dice-K and Beckett. Let's hope that they both hit their mark early.
FishermanTim is offline   Reply With Quote