Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 03-31-2010, 04:01 PM   #1
EarnedStripes44

Sean Hannity and the Freedom Concerts

This is a bit of journalism that those of you who detest that self-serving quack Sean Hannity should find interesting.

Ironically, a controversial conservative pundit authored this piece. Be forewarned, her conclusions are very provocative- and indeed shameful if true.

Sean Hannity’s Freedom CONcert Scam: Almost None of Charity’s $ Went to Injured Troops, Kids of Fallen Troops; G5s for Vannity?
Old 03-31-2010, 04:29 PM   #2
JohnnyD

No surprise here.

I wouldn't donate to any group that doesn't publicly state how many cents to the dollar actually goes to the cause.
Old 03-31-2010, 04:56 PM   #3
buckman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyD View Post
No surprise here.

I wouldn't donate to any group that doesn't publicly state how many cents to the dollar actually goes to the cause.
Then don't pay your taxes
Old 03-31-2010, 06:20 PM   #4
scottw

What follows is a statement from Freedom Alliance on the accusations made against Sean Hannity and Freedom Alliance by Debbie Schlussel

This week, false and malicious allegations about Freedom Alliance were posted on the Internet and we want to address them with you. We don't know the motivation for these vicious smears, but we will not allow them to go unanswered.

First, we want to thank you for your support and assure you that Freedom Alliance's record of financial stewardship and programmatic achievements not only meets, but exceeds standards of program efficiency set by most charity evaluators. We are extraordinarily proud of our work at Freedom Alliance and stand by our efforts 100 percent.

False Accusations

1. The blog posting accuses our friend Sean Hannity of personally benefiting from Freedom Alliance. This is FALSE. Freedom Alliance has never provided planes, hotels, cars, limos, or anything else to Sean. Sean gets nothing from Freedom Alliance except our gratitude for his personal generosity and for all he has done to help the troops and our organization. We have never had to ask Sean for anything, he always generously offers his help before we have a chance to ask him. But to be clear Sean pays for all his own transportation, hotels, and all related expenses for himself and his family and friends and staff, which over the years has added up to tens of thousands of dollars. He does not use any Freedom Alliance Funds or Concert funds in any way, period.

2. Sean Hannity has contributed $100,000 to the Wounded Warriors Foundation, over $200,000 to the Freedom Alliance, and over tens of thousands of dollars to other military charities and individuals. We only make this information public because of the outrageous slander against him. Sean has no management or operational involvement in, or control over, Freedom Alliance. He has been a selfless patriot in his efforts to raise funds for the education of children of armed services personnel.

3. The blog posting accuses Freedom Alliance of spending less than 20% of money raised on program activities. This is FALSE. Listed below are the amounts that Freedom Alliance spent for each of the past three years and the categories on which they were spent. The figures are taken from our Federal Form 990 which is filed with the Internal Revenue Service and posted on our web site and audited by an independent auditor using Generally Accepted Accounting Principles. This financial record not only meets, but exceeds standards of program efficiency set by most charity evaluators.

4. In 2008, Freedom Alliance spent a total of $6,745,717. Of that:

• 79 percent ($5,317,970) was spent on Program Activities

•14 percent ($945,950) was spent on Fundraising

•7 percent ($481,797) was spent on Management

In 2007, Freedom Alliance spent a total of $7,461,350. Of that:

• 81.5 percent ($6,084,474) was spent on Program Activities

• 13.5 percent ($1,011,501) was spent on Fundraising

• 5 percent ($365,375) was spent on Management

In 2006, Freedom Alliance spent a total of $7,064,839. Of that:
• 77 percent ($5,434,538) was spent on Program Activities

• 18.5 percent ($1,308,414) was spent on Fundraising

• 4.5 percent ($321,887) was spent on Management

5. The blog posting accuses Freedom Alliance of spending money intended for student scholarships on other expenses. This is FALSE. Freedom Alliance has distributed $3.4 million in Scholarships and created a Scholarship Trust Fund with the additional money that we have raised for that program. That fund now contains $15 million, over $10 million of which has been raised by Hannity and the concerts. Our scholarship program is managed with the understanding that it will be needed for at least the next 20 years as there are children who will ultimately receive a scholarship who are now only a few years old. As indicated on our Federal Form 990, these funds are restricted and used only for future scholarships.

6. Our Scholarship Fund is one of four programs operated by Freedom Alliance. Supporters may donate to a specific program or for general operating purposes. In 2008, Freedom Alliance received $2.1 million in scholarship donations. The same year, we awarded $802,250 in scholarships and applied $1.3 million to our Scholarship Trust Fund. The funds donated by Sean Hannity directly -- or through the proceeds of the Freedom Concerts -- and the support of thousands of Americans are used for these purposes:

• Freedom Alliance Scholarship Fund: Providing scholarships to those whose parents have been killed or severely injured in their service to our Country. There is now over $15 million in the scholarship fund for the students as they come of age.

• Support our Troops: Many events each year are planned and executed by our staff to show appreciate and provide special opportunities for those actively serving in the military.

• Leadership Academy: A program for high school students in which they are encouraged and trained to serve their country.

These programs would not be possible without the support of Mr. Hannity and many others.

We are proud of our work and numerous accomplishments. We are grateful to our supporters whose voluntary contributions make it possible and we thank you. While it is discouraging to have our record misrepresented in such a malicious way, our work is important and, with your support, it will continue.

Respectfully,

Thomas P. Kilgannon, President

Oliver L. North, Founder & Honorary Chairman
Old 03-31-2010, 06:36 PM   #5
JohnnyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
Then don't pay your taxes
You must be confused by the word donate.
Old 03-31-2010, 07:35 PM   #6
EarnedStripes44

So who should I believe Scott?
Old 03-31-2010, 07:43 PM   #7
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarnedStripes44 View Post
So who should I believe Scott?
that's entirely up to you, I just went looking to see who Debbie Strossler was because while I'm a Conservative..and I enjoy contorversy...I'd never heard of her....ever ...(Ironically, a controversial conservative pundit) ...that was the response from the folks that she attacked....ahhh, I mean...reported on without any apparent bias...
Old 03-31-2010, 08:14 PM   #8
EarnedStripes44

The only bias that I am aware of are her numerous stinks directed at the muslim community in "Dearbornistan," Michigan. I suspect there are endless reasons why a conservative columnist contributer for conservative leaning editorial pages, like the Wall Street Journal, Washing Times, New York Post..., would attack the Freedom Concerts and Sean Hannity. Smell me?

And from what I understand, Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington and VoteVets have filed complaints with the Federal Trade Commission and the IRS about said charity's ALLEGED misuse of funds. But their motives are clear since they are biased moonbat organizations.

So I ask you again, my great prognosticator, with whom should my doubts lie?
Old 03-31-2010, 08:19 PM   #9
EarnedStripes44

Let me rephrase the question, I did not mean to sound redundant. But where do your doubts lie, if you care to share?
Old 03-31-2010, 08:54 PM   #10
scottw

Quote:
The only bias that I am aware of are her numerous stinks directed at the muslim community in "Dearbornistan," Michigan. I suspect there are endless reasons why a conservative columnist contributer for conservative leaning editorial pages, like the Wall Street Journal, Washing Times, New York Post..., would attack the Freedom Concerts and Sean Hannity. Smell me?

And from what I understand, Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington and VoteVets have filed complaints with the Federal Trade Commission and the IRS about said charity's ALLEGED misuse of funds. But their motives are clear since they are biased moonbat organizations.

So I ask you again, my great prognosticator, with whom should my doubts lie?
stll never heard of her...don't know what "smell me" means but it sounds offensive..... and I don't care who you decide to believe...maybe wait to see if any charges for all of this wrong doing are actually ever filed?
Old 03-31-2010, 09:06 PM   #11
fishbones

This is pretty weak at best. I'm not a Hannity fan, but this blogger seems to be trying to make a name for herself. She hasn't shown any proof and won't name the "guy at Fox" who told her about this. I guess I'll wait until I see something from a more substantial source than an unknown blogger with no proof of anything.
Old 03-31-2010, 09:22 PM   #12
scottw

also doesn't help that the story has been pushed by the Daily Kos and Media Matters and that Vote Vets and Crew are far left Soros/MoveOn.org affilitated organizations....can sure SMELL that EA44

MSNBC too..that pillar of journalistic integrity...

Tue, 03/30/2010 - 11:24 ET

MSNBC host Dylan Ratigan on Monday eagerly attempted to convict Sean Hannity for the supposed misuse of funds by a pro-troop organization he supports, a claim already investigated and debunked. The anchor highlighted complaints against the Freedom Alliance group by the George Soros-backed Center for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington (CREW), but never identified their liberal tilt.

Ratigan promoted CREW's assertions that the Freedom Concerts, which the Fox News host promotes, aren't giving all the money they take in to scholarships for the families of fallen soldiers. He sneered, "Hey, what the heck? You come up with a good cause. Give ten or 15 percent away and keep the rest for yourself. What do I know?" Not much, apparently. The MSNBC anchor made almost no effort to offer Hannity's side of the story or that of the Freedom Alliance.

David Frum's website analyzed this controversy and found the charges to be bogus. But, Ratigan wasn't interested in this. Instead, he mocked, "Who knows what happens to the rest of [the money]? But, not going to the kids, apparently."

Politico also publicized the allegations on Monday. Writer Jen DiMascio failed to identify the liberal nature of CREW. She only referred to it as a "Washington watchdog group." However, she did feature this quote from Alliance President Tom Kilgannon:

There is absolutely no merit to the scurrilous charges launched against Freedom Alliance from two of the most left-wing organizations in the country," Kilgannon said in a statement. "The smear-mongers who have launched this politically motivated witch hunt against Freedom Alliance will be proven wrong as we aggressively defend ourselves in the days and weeks ahead."

A transcript of the March 29 Dylan Ratigan Show segment, which aired at 4:50pm EDT, follows:

DYLAN RATIGAN: Up next, a series of charity concerts organized by Fox News' Sean Hannity hitting a little bit of a sour note. The shows are billed as helping the innocent victims of war, an admirable cause. The children of troops. Here's Mr. Hannity himself explaining the charity's mission.

SEAN HANNITY: These guys have kids. The purpose is all of the money that we make we put in a scholarship fund for the children of these slain heroes.

RATIGAN: A noble case, no doubt. But, it's simply not the case, according to the watchdog group Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington. They have now filed- that's a funny title for that town. Anyway, they filed complaints with both the Federal Trade commission and the IRS claiming we will never know if every penny goes to the kids. The complaint alleges, quote, "illegal and deceptive marketing practices by suggesting that all money generated by ticket sales for the freedom concerts that Hannity sponsors each summer goes to scholarships for children of killed and wounded service members." In fact, according to an '08 tax filing by the Freedom Alliance, which runs this charity mission for Hannity, the group actually only gave 12 percent of its revenue to the children of fallen soldiers, while spending more than $150 grand on travel expenses. The list goes on. The Freedom Alliance says their financial records not only meet but exceed charity standards. Hey, what the heck? You come up with a good cause. Give ten or 15 percent away and keep the rest for yourself. What do I know? Who knows what happens to the rest of it? But, not going to the kids apparently.

Last edited by scottw; 04-01-2010 at 05:12 AM..
Old 03-31-2010, 10:07 PM   #13
EarnedStripes44

"Smell me" is a slang term of endearment used rhetorically to garner common understanding between parties engaged in dialogue.

For example:

Fox News is biased. Smell me?

Naah...I don't smell you since Fox News is the most trusted name in news.
Old 03-31-2010, 10:59 PM   #14
JohnnyD

Quote:
For example:

Old 04-01-2010, 05:10 AM   #15
scottw

Quote:
"Smell me" is a slang term of endearment used rhetorically to garner common understanding between parties engaged in dialogue.

For example:

"smell me"...is a slang term of endearment ???? include that with Debbie Strossler as...never heard of them nor smelled them

I guess "blow me", "eat me" etc...could be construed as the same...huh??? "really, don't be offended...it's a term of endearment to garner common understanding"...yeah, that'll go over pretty well for you.... no matter how you try to e'splian it...sounds completely offensive....

alway back to Fox news with the whacko left isn't it.....

Last edited by scottw; 04-01-2010 at 05:26 AM..
Old 04-01-2010, 07:19 AM   #16
Cool Beans

Are you sure "smell me" isn't more like in the dog world? "If we sniff each other's butts we will be friends?"

Or perhaps like the old game of "Pull my finger"

Or "Can you smell what the Rock is cooking?"