Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 04-07-2009, 06:35 PM   #1
Circlehook
$$

Hiring

I think I must be looking for a fight with this one, but I just had to listen to an absolute piece of trash tell me about how bad the economy is and how he and his wife have been out of work for 8. months and that noone is hiring and he has no idea how he will make ends meet.

This guy has no kids and he and his girl live in an apartment. I am so sick of people saying that there is no work when every McDonalds and Dunkin D-Nuts in the state has a HIRING sign in the window. What is he holding out for a $150K job with a company car and cushy benefits? IT IS NOT GOING TO HAPPEN.

I understand that $8 an hour is not going to pay all the bills, but it WILL pay some of them, and will take care of a hell of alot more of them than NO PAYCHECK will. It is not a career, it is a JOB, you can leave once you find a better one.

Go apply at MCDonalds, go to work every day, tell your wife to do the same, lay off the booze, and quit bitching to me that there is no work.

Somebody just back of you while you are fishing is as bad as someone looking over your shoulder while you write a letter to your girl. ~Ernest Hemingway
Old 04-07-2009, 07:43 PM   #2
spence

Generally I'd have to agree, but every situation is different.

In this case it seems like the person needs to sober up and retrain.

There are jobs out there, but perhaps not what you want or at the pay you think you deserve. If you have no kids it should be easy to go ultralight on the budget unless you have a lot of debt, and even then there are options.

I can't imagine having to work at a D&D, but at the end of the day I'd do it in a second if it meant food on the table for my son.

-spence
Old 04-07-2009, 08:31 PM   #3
JohnnyD

Circle, you keep that crap on your side of the fence. I don't want any of that garbage bleeding over to my complex.
Old 04-07-2009, 10:03 PM   #4
Circlehook
$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyD View Post
Circle, you keep that crap on your side of the fence. I don't want any of that garbage bleeding over to my complex.
I know it huh, haha. He might end up like my other neighbor did last week...

Somebody just back of you while you are fishing is as bad as someone looking over your shoulder while you write a letter to your girl. ~Ernest Hemingway
Old 04-07-2009, 10:11 PM   #5
Circlehook
$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post

There are jobs out there, but perhaps not what you want or at the pay you think you deserve. If you have no kids it should be easy to go ultralight on the budget unless you have a lot of debt, and even then there are options.

I can't imagine having to work at a D&D, but at the end of the day I'd do it in a second if it meant food on the table for my son.
When you get to a certain point though, don't you agree that you need to just take any job? The sad reality is that unemployment benefits outpay most minimum wage jobs, so people defer to sitting at home until the phone rings....which of course it doesn't.

Maybe it is just me, but after a month or so with no prospects on the horizon, I am biting my pride and flipping burgers if I need to. (preferably a real late shift in a covert town).

* I do have a good job, I am very fortunate.

Last edited by Circlehook; 04-07-2009 at 10:14 PM.. Reason: one more thing..

Old 04-08-2009, 07:53 AM   #6
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

The economy is terrible, right? So I am assuiming that a lot of high school kids must not be able to work.
Well, all winter I've been out there shoveling/snow blowing my driveway and my doorbell never rang once with someone offering to clear it for $. I'd toss someone $20 to do it. I used to shovel all winter long when I was a kid for $.
People lost their incentive, no drive.
I have a good career. 7 years ago, due to some political shifts where I was working, I was out of a job. Full mortage and a 3 month old at home. I went on a massive campaign to get jazz gigs and was playing 2-3 nights a week for $50 to $100 buck. We used the money for groceries. I would have shoveled driveways, mowed lawns , whatever it took to NOT burden my family.

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
Old 04-08-2009, 08:42 AM   #7
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Circlehook View Post
When you get to a certain point though, don't you agree that you need to just take any job? The sad reality is that unemployment benefits outpay most minimum wage jobs, so people defer to sitting at home until the phone rings....which of course it doesn't.

Maybe it is just me, but after a month or so with no prospects on the horizon, I am biting my pride and flipping burgers if I need to. (preferably a real late shift in a covert town).

* I do have a good job, I am very fortunate.
Like I said, it depends on the situation. Taking part-time work could possibly throw off a career path you've worked hard to achieve and can continue once things pick up. This of course assumes you have the means to live in the mean time.

Certainly though, if you've been out of work that long and need the money you should look to do anything to be productive rather than just complain.

-spence
Old 04-08-2009, 06:36 PM   #8
Jenn

wanna know what I like even better? Past few months I have people coming in to my work and asking if we are hiring (not so bad) then they say "oh buy the way what do you do here"? oh really? then I know its coming ..... they say "oh, can you just sign this paper showing that I was here looking for work?"

I work in the front office and I am getting sick of people "looking" for work with us. The sign outside says what we are and these people KNOW they arent what we would be looking for even if we were looking. They just need a signature so they can keep collecting.

Simplify.......
Old 04-08-2009, 07:47 PM   #9
striperman36
Old Guy

Quote:
\

-spence

I don't think any of us would really do it though.
Old 04-08-2009, 08:59 PM   #10
Circlehook
$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by striperman36 View Post

For me, it would be a hard knock on my confidence. I have worked very hard and gone through alot of hard times to get where I am right now. It would basically be like starting over, only with no ladder to really climb up. Like I said, it would be a Job not a career, a career pergatory if you will.

But, I am able bodied and young. I would do it before I sucked off of unemployment if it came down to it. I have been there before about 6 years ago, and I did what I needed too, but I have never taken a cent of unemployment.

Old 04-09-2009, 04:11 AM   #11
Duke41
got gas?

Hang in there guys. I have been thru 3 other of these downturns. The last one The dot comm bust I lost my job and had to switch careers to get back to work. It was hard but I made it, thanks to God. I was unemployed for a long, long time. Looking back I should have taken anything to get out of the house. Sitting on my arse was bad for me. Nothing good or bad lasts forever.
Old 04-09-2009, 06:15 AM   #12
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by striperman36 View Post
I doubt they'd hire me. In about a day I'd have that place serving handmade pastry and gourmet pizzas. The teenagers would be mint from all the profit sharing.

-spence
Old 04-09-2009, 10:31 AM   #13
fishbones

Quote:
I doubt they'd hire me. In about a day I'd have that place serving handmade pastry and gourmet pizzas. The teenagers would be mint from all the profit sharing.

-spence
I could just see it, Spence. You'd be changing the tv in the Dunks to the Martha Stewart show and commenting about how the slip resistant shoes are not stylish enough and that you can't wear he cotton/poly blend polo shirts because you only wear the finest pima cotton.

On a serious note, I bet lots of us would do whatever it takes to support ourselves or our families, even if it means doing a job we otherwise would never consider doing. I put myself through college bussing tables and it wasn't all that bad a job.

Conservatism is not about leaving people behind. Conservatism is about empowering people to catch up, to give them tools at their disposal that make it possible for them to access all the hope, all the promise, all the opportunity that America offers. - Marco Rubio