Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 04-27-2009, 06:20 PM   #31
JohnnyD

I have a very high respect for most people that sign up for the military.

However, my experience has been that the just about every Marine drinks the patriotic kool-aid. If their superiors say Iraq is a threat, then they believe Iraq is a threat, no questions asked. Marines are trained to be subordinate, and questioning their country is an ultimate sign of insubordination. Also, just about every single one I have met had extremely conservative views.
The irony is that I probably would have been a Marine Officer if I wasn't medically declined a few months in.
Old 04-27-2009, 06:35 PM   #32
Cool Beans

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyD View Post

However, my experience has been that the just about every Marine drinks the patriotic kool-aid. If their superiors say Iraq is a threat, then they believe Iraq is a threat, no questions asked. Marines are trained to be subordinate, and questioning their country is an ultimate sign of insubordination. Also, just about every single one I have met had extremely conservative views.
The irony is that I probably would have been a Marine Officer if I wasn't medically declined a few months in.
Most of the Marines I spoke with hold the rank of Colonel or above.
Old 04-28-2009, 04:18 AM   #33
spence

Quote:
I think you're really selling a lot of Marine's short to think they've been trained to not think rationally about orders. Discipline is a different thing...

-spence
Old 04-28-2009, 04:45 AM   #34
keeperreaper
Spot Preserver

Quote:

That's pretty short sighted to label all Marines as subordinate cool-aid drinking conservatives.

Make America Great Again.
Old 04-28-2009, 06:58 AM   #35
JohnnyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Beans View Post
Most of the Marines I spoke with hold the rank of Colonel or above.
Now that is a completely different story.

My experience was with the hundred or so I was consistently in direct contact with, all aged 18-25.
Old 04-28-2009, 07:04 AM   #36
JohnnyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by keeperreaper View Post
That's pretty short sighted to label all Marines as subordinate cool-aid drinking conservatives.
As I said above, it's an observation based on my direct experience. However, those observations were almost all of low ranking soldiers or soldiers to be.
Old 04-28-2009, 07:24 AM   #37
keeperreaper
Spot Preserver

Quote:
As I said above, it's an observation based on my direct experience. However, those observations were almost all of low ranking soldiers or soldiers to be.
You might want to have added that portion to your original unpatriotic statement.

Were you going to teach/accept insubordination to/from your direct reports if you achieved the rank of Marine officer?

Make America Great Again.
Old 04-28-2009, 08:39 AM   #38
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

My Dad was a Marine and a lib dem. And even in his 60s he could kick the livin sheet out of me if he wanted to.

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
Old 04-28-2009, 09:01 AM   #39
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Thats not saying much, your wife could kick your ass

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
Old 04-28-2009, 09:26 AM   #40
JohnnyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIJIMMY View Post
My Dad was a Marine and a lib dem. And even in his 60s he could kick the livin sheet out of me if he wanted to.
I believe it. Marines are some of the toughest of the bunch.
Old 04-28-2009, 09:31 AM   #41
JohnnyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by keeperreaper View Post
You might want to have added that portion to your original unpatriotic statement.
That's right, because observations and free thinking are unpatriotic.

As I said in my original response, "my experience has been". In my beginning days in trying to get into the Corp's Officer school, one of the Staff Sergeants said, "Enlisted men are not trained to think. If you become an officer, you will be trained to think for them."

It doesn't get more blatant than that. And those are not my words.