Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 10-21-2019, 05:47 PM   #1
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

President vs Constitution

When commenting on why he dropped the Doral location over flack over the emoluments clause in the constitution, he said the president should be able to run the country without worrying about this crap.

Most of my posts on this board, regardless of what the blue font pontificator Mr. D might suggest, are in fact reactions to events or actions taken by this administration and I guess our POTUS believes some of the constitution is just plain crap.

I guess it’s time to do a re-write.
Old 10-21-2019, 06:33 PM   #2
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Stripers View Post
When commenting on why he dropped the Doral location over flack over the emoluments clause in the constitution, he said the president should be able to run the country without worrying about this crap.

Most of my posts on this board, regardless of what the blue font pontificator Mr. D might suggest, are in fact reactions to events or actions taken by this administration and I guess our POTUS believes some of the constitution is just plain crap.

I guess it’s time to do a re-write.
Regardless of your pontificating spin, I don't think Trump's "this" referred to the Constitution.
Old 10-21-2019, 07:07 PM   #3
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

So you claim I constantly post things that aren’t true, yet you acknowledge personal take on things might differ, thanks for making my point. What I feel is true and what you feel is true can both be right based on point of view. I still feel in his opinion the clause in the constitution raising such a fuss on both sides was crap, because he wanted his property to host the event and he feels he as president should be allowed to govern as he feels fit. It’s his MO.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 10-21-2019, 09:02 PM   #4
detbuch

Quote:
So you claim I constantly post things that aren’t true, yet you acknowledge personal take on things might differ, thanks for making my point.

No, I didn't say you constantly post things that aren't true. I said you "just say stuff as if saying it made it true." And no, I'm not making your point. You're proving mine. You said that Trump "believes some of the constitution is just plain crap." You just said it, as if it were true, without any evidence that he believes that. He didn't specifically say it. Nor has he ever said it or implied it. You had no evident reason to do so.

What I feel is true and what you feel is true can both be right based on point of view. I still feel in his opinion the clause in the constitution raising such a fuss on both sides was crap, because he wanted his property to host the event and he feels he as president should be allowed to govern as he feels fit. It’s his MO.
You may "feel" that the Clause, in his opinion, was the reason for the fuss, but what evidence do you have that he had that opinion. Was it that because the Clause existed, it in and of itself was crap and that crap was being used to make a fuss about his wanting to host the event on his property, or was it that the Clause was being erroneously used to needlessly stir up the fuss. His legal staff had counseled him re hosting the G7 at Doral, and they didn't think there would be a conflict. Were they right or wrong--that would have been a good question to argue in the courts.

And you're doing it again. You're blatantly just saying his MO is to feel as President he should be allowed to govern as he feels fit. As if you have some authority on how he feels.
Old 10-21-2019, 09:08 PM   #5
Pete F.
Canceled

No problem Trump is in the clear because the Emoluments Clause isn't real and George Washington had two desks and Obama inked a Netflix deal in 2018.
That’s what he said today in public, though perhaps he was exaggerating.
Just making sure I'm understanding how he feels correctly.
Old 10-21-2019, 09:34 PM   #6
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
No problem Trump is in the clear because the Emoluments Clause isn't real and George Washington had two desks and Obama inked a Netflix deal in 2018.
That’s what he said today in public, though perhaps he was exaggerating.
Just making sure I'm understanding how he feels correctly.
Oh "crap" here we go again. He obviously meant that using the Emoluments Clause in the Doral case was phony, not that the Clause itself is. I mean, come on, it would make no sense to say that something that obviously, without a doubt, irrefutably exists doesn't exist. He obviously knows the Clause exists, he made reference to it (for Pete's sake). You guys refuse to accept Trumpspeak. It's the way he talks. Clipped statements that often skip the rest of the idea.

There isn't universal agreement that the Emoluments Clause means that all businesses of a President must stop while in office. Surprise, surprise--I agree with the following article that the there is an over expansive understanding of the Clause. And that what Trump said (OK, what he meant) is correct. It is an earlier article re another case, but the analysis applies to Doral:

https://www.cnsnews.com/commentary/h...luments-clause
Old 10-21-2019, 09:48 PM   #7
Pete F.
Canceled

In your America the law is kinda, sorta followed because ya know, Trump didn’t really mean that, he meant it’s good, sort of, like.
If you actually listen to him you’ll figure out that what Tillerson said is true.
Not kinda sorta.
Old 10-21-2019, 10:07 PM   #8
detbuch

Quote:
In your America the law is kinda, sorta followed because ya know, Trump didn’t really mean that, he meant it’s good, sort of, like.
If you actually listen to him you’ll figure out that what Tillerson said is true.
Not kinda sorta.
In other words, you got nothin'.
Old 10-22-2019, 05:18 AM   #9
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Originally Posted by detbuch View Post
In other words, you got nothin'.
Your something is his words don’t mean anything in English, but are in a special language that only his followers can comprehend.
I hear the Stable Genius was on Hannity last night, perhaps you will provide translation services for the linguistically challenged.

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 10-22-2019, 06:03 AM   #10
scottw

Quote:

I said you "just say stuff as if saying it made it true."
he pontificates a lot....
Old 10-22-2019, 06:17 AM   #11
scottw

Quote:

Your something is his words don’t mean anything in English, but are in a special language that only his followers can comprehend.

Old 10-22-2019, 06:46 AM   #12
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
=Trump has spent more taxpayer money at his own resorts than any prior President took in salary in 8 years.

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Lets Go Darwin
Old 10-22-2019, 07:03 AM   #13
scottw

I give him credit for getting up and going to work every day while suffering relentless, mindless attacks from unhinged lunatics everywhere from congress to the mainstream media to the sb political threads daily(or in pete's case...hourly) since the first hours of his presidency......
Old 10-22-2019, 07:21 AM   #14
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
I give him credit for getting up and watching TV and tweeting every day while suffering relentless, mindless attacks from unhinged lunatics everywhere from congress to the mainstream media to the sb political threads daily(or in pete's case...hourly) since the first hours of his presidency......
Fixed it for you

Why he's getting lynched.....and what is the translation of that?

Donald J. Trump
@realDonaldTrump
So some day, if a Democrat becomes President and the Republicans win the House, even by a tiny margin, they can impeach the President, without due process or fairness or any legal rights. All Republicans must remember what they are witnessing here - a lynching. But we will WIN!
7:52 AM · Oct 22, 2019·Twitter for iPhone

Lets Go Darwin
Old 10-22-2019, 07:25 AM   #15
scottw

he's an effective multi-takser
Old 10-22-2019, 08:01 AM   #16
Pete F.
Canceled

I thought he was trying for the black sympathy vote.

Lets Go Darwin
Old 10-22-2019, 08:46 AM   #17
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Quote:
You may "feel" that the Clause, in his opinion, was the reason for the fuss, but what evidence do you have that he had that opinion. Was it that because the Clause existed, it in and of itself was crap and that crap was being used to make a fuss about his wanting to host the event on his property, or was it that the Clause was being erroneously used to needlessly stir up the fuss. His legal staff had counseled him re hosting the G7 at Doral, and they didn't think there would be a conflict. Were they right or wrong--that would have been a good question to argue in the courts.

And you're doing it again. You're blatantly just saying his MO is to feel as President he should be allowed to govern as he feels fit. As if you have some authority on how he feels.
When your defense of the location is my "legal" staff said it's ok, you are already behind the 8-ball, look at his own personal lawyer.
Old 10-22-2019, 08:52 AM   #18
wdmso

Earlier on Tuesday, Russian military helicopters landed at the Tabqa airbase after US troops left, criticizing the use of inflammatory rhetoric. (Lynching) is of course seen by the Faithful as suffering relentless, mindless attacks from unhinged lunatics everywhere from congress to the mainstream media to the sb political threads..

COMPLETELY ignoring the person responsible for the headlines.... unless its a conspiracy theory the Right presents ..everything else is a Lie.. its sad to watch how well they play the victims but evryone else are Snowflakes
Old 10-22-2019, 09:11 AM   #19
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
Earlier on Tuesday, Russian military helicopters landed at the Tabqa airbase after US troops left, criticizing the use of inflammatory rhetoric. (Lynching) is of course seen by the Faithful as suffering relentless, mindless attacks from unhinged lunatics everywhere from congress to the mainstream media to the sb political threads..

COMPLETELY ignoring the person responsible for the headlines.... unless its a conspiracy theory the Right presents ..everything else is a Lie.. its sad to watch how well they play the victims but evryone else are Snowflakes
this is nuttier than a trump tweet
Old 10-22-2019, 09:12 AM   #20
scottw

Quote:
When your defense of the location is my "legal" staff said it's ok, you are already behind the 8-ball, look at his own personal lawyer.
"no controlling legal authority"
Old 10-22-2019, 09:33 AM   #21
Pete F.
Canceled

Trump claimed that he turned the Trump organization over to his sons, how is it that now it has become I and my resort?
Must be more of that Trump-speak with its vague and evolving interpretations
Old 10-22-2019, 10:01 AM   #22
detbuch

Quote:
I hear the Stable Genius was on Hannity last night, perhaps you will provide translation services for the linguistically challenged.
Further demonstrating that you got nothin'.
Old 10-22-2019, 10:03 AM   #23
detbuch

Quote:
Not sure what you're trying to say here. Perhaps you communicate in a sort of Got-Stripers-Speak.
Old 10-22-2019, 10:04 AM   #24
detbuch

Quote:
Trump claimed that he turned the Trump organization over to his sons, how is it that now it has become I and my resort?
Must be more of that Trump-speak with its vague and evolving interpretations
Even more got nothin's.
Old 10-22-2019, 10:14 AM   #25
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Even more got nothin's.
🍑

Lets Go Darwin
Old 10-22-2019, 10:33 AM   #26
detbuch

Quote:
🍑
Still nothin'.
Old 10-22-2019, 10:43 AM   #27
Pete F.
Canceled

We'll see

The DC Circuit court just scheduled arguments in congressional Democrats' emoluments clause case against Trump for Dec. 9. The en banc 4th Circuit is already set to hear arguments in the emoluments case brought by DC/MD later that week, on Dec. 12.

Lets Go Darwin
Old 10-22-2019, 03:19 PM   #28
wdmso

to use a Republican argument If Trump didn't do anything wrong with having the G7 meeting at His resort ... Why did he back out?

he's never cared what Dems or the media has said before

but he seems to care about this GOP lawmakers openly revolting against Trump’s ‘indefensible’ decision to hold G7 at his golf resort

but we know he is just getting picked on
Old 10-22-2019, 03:37 PM   #29
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
to use a Republican argument If Trump didn't do anything wrong with having the G7 meeting at His resort ... Why did he back out?

Discretion is the better part of valor

he's never cared what Dems or the media has said before

Well, yeah, he has cared. He always responds. In any event, even if he never did, do you have something against a first time.

but he seems to care about this GOP lawmakers openly revolting against Trump’s ‘indefensible’ decision to hold G7 at his golf resort

I know anti-Trumpers think he is dumb. So you just couldn't conceive of him making a smart move. But it was smart. Not worth the trouble. Small potatoes. But I know for those with TDS every little thing he does is earth shakingly evil and must be investigated.

but we know he is just getting picked on
Well . . . not "just" . . . and not merely picking.
Old 10-22-2019, 03:49 PM   #30
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Can’t even imagine how you see that choice of venues a smart move, but I really think I will find your explanation amusing. The optics alone make it clear to me, he needs some better people advising him, but for his entire term it’s just not his style to listen to experts.