Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 12-11-2020, 09:34 PM   #1
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
Apparently the majority of the SCOTUS including all 3 Tweety appointees disagree with the AG of Texas and numerous congressmen.
So the leader of the Trumplican Party in Texas advocates for sedition.

“This decision will have far reaching ramifications for the future of our constitutional republic. Perhaps law-abiding states should bond together and form a Union of states that will abide by the constitution.”
Does the SCOTUS decision please you? Is the process playing out constitutionally? So far it seems so to me. Does that mean that SCOTUS is actually making the "right" decision. No. But it is the decision. And that's how it works . . . and still working. Relax. Your side is winning. That may not be what's best for preserving our Constitutional Republic. So be it. All things come to an end.

I'm not looking with favor to our looming Progressive Administrative State. And I doubt that most, or even many, know what that means.
Old 12-11-2020, 10:07 PM   #2
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Originally Posted by detbuch View Post
Does the SCOTUS decision please you? Is the process playing out constitutionally? So far it seems so to me. Does that mean that SCOTUS is actually making the "right" decision. No. But it is the decision. And that's how it works . . . and still working. Relax. Your side is winning. That may not be what's best for preserving our Constitutional Republic. So be it. All things come to an end.

I'm not looking with favor to our looming Progressive Administrative State. And I doubt that most, or even many, know what that means.
Go ahead and be very afraid
But look back at history
The Whig Party fractured and died in the 1850s over slavery. Will the Republican Party fracture and die in the 2020s over democracy?
They certainly have demonstrated their belief in autocracy.

And don’t get too frantic, history has shown that the American experiment self centers every so often and the people on both edges get over it or buckle down and get to work to sway things in the direction they believe is correct.
Or they can just play the victim card
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Last edited by Pete F.; 12-11-2020 at 10:13 PM..

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 12-11-2020, 11:34 PM   #3
scottw

Quote:

And don’t get too frantic

frantic....you and your buddies sound like the hags on the View lately...
Old 12-11-2020, 11:32 PM   #4
scottw

Quote:

Does the SCOTUS decision please you?

good thing trump "packed the court" so they would do his bidding at times like these....oh wait...the fools were wrong about that too...I guess they didn't need to savage Kavanaugh with lies and insult Barrett....but that's just how they troll
Old 12-11-2020, 10:17 PM   #5
Pete F.
Canceled

A little history

As we play The Aliens & Seditions Game in Congress, a fun note: In 1861, 11 senators and 3 representatives were expelled for supporting the Confederacy and not acknowledging Lincoln's legitimate election.

Have a good Friday.
Old 12-12-2020, 12:14 AM   #6
detbuch

Quote:
Go ahead and be very afraid

I have no desire to seek your advice or approval over whether I should be afraid. I didn't say I was afraid, and it is not a good way of starting a reply by pulling some fatherly or superior ploy of being in the position of advising me how to go ahead and feel something I have in no way indicated that I do.

But look back at history

I have looked back on history time and again in exposing the Progressive agenda. But no one other than a few actual constitutionalists, takes me up on that discussion.

The Whig Party fractured and died in the 1850s over slavery. Will the Republican Party fracture and die in the 2020s over democracy?

Both parties have fractured and mucked their way through a continuous process of dying. They both had a change in names and their political philosophies kept changing. They both have had what you would call autocratic Presidents, some of whom on the Democrat side were way more autocratic than Trump, e.g. Jackson, Wilson, FDR, LBJ, and Obama could also be included in that pantheon of what Democrats would call great Presidents.

The greatest force of change affecting both parties has been Progressive ideology. And that resides more firmly today in the Democrat party.

And the notion that the Republican party will fracture and die over democracy is laughable. We are not a democracy. If you mean that the Republican Party will die because it is divided between those who want to maintain us as a Republic and those who want to transform us into a Democracy, I haven't heard of that squabble.

If you mean that there are Republicans who actually want to get rid of our supposedly democratic system of voting, I see no evidence of that. The effort to root out what Republicans see as fraud is actually a way to protect the system. And they are working within our system to do that. If they can't prove the fraud, then we continue on unabated.
Even the fraud will continue--especially as it has in local politics, which is the groundwork that can make for rigged national voting.

Democracy is very susceptible to fraud and to manipulation by a ruling class. That's why the Founders avoided a pure Democracy.

They certainly have demonstrated their belief in autocracy.

Trump? That's been part of the left's withering and lying narrative. Trump is an autocrat. Trump is a dictator. Trump is a Nazi. Trump is a white supremacist. That's all BS. He has wielded far less unconstitutional power than Jackson, Wilson, FDR, and LBJ--those great and revered Democrat Presidents.

And don’t get too frantic,

Oh, so now your advising me on how not to act.
See above for my opinion on that.

history has shown that the American experiment self centers every so often and the people on both edges get over it or buckle down and get to work to sway things in the direction they believe is correct.

Self centering is a comforting and assuring phrase that avoids the truth of what actually happens which is an evolution in a given direction of more or less freedom. We have been consistently evolving in the latter direction. The chief driving force of that direction is Progressive politics. It is a force that engenders far more centralized government power over our individual lives than any one so-called autocratic President can.

Or they can just play the victim card
Or they can "fight the power" and insist on maintaining our constitutional republican form of government. Insist on rolling back centralized regulatory power. Insist on individual over group rights. For starters.

Fat chance. More likely they can just keep believing in the corporate journalism that informs everything they know about what their government really is, what it's doing, and who actually controls it.
Old 12-12-2020, 12:20 AM   #7
scottw

Quote:

Or they can "fight the power"
hey, I know were headed for another lockdown but protesting by the thousands is still OK...right??
Old 12-12-2020, 01:04 PM   #8
wdmso

It’s sad. even Forrest Gump knows the deal
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BE25FA98-2B2E-48B3-BA42-4269D1608FD9.jpeg
Views:	252
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	67539  
Old 12-17-2020, 12:06 PM   #9
wdmso

Another 885,000 Americans filed new unemployment claims last week

The Right blames Biden
Old 12-17-2020, 12:54 PM   #10
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post

The Right blames Biden
who does? which group
of influential republicans blames biden, exactly?
Old 12-17-2020, 01:40 PM   #11
Pete F.
Canceled

Hmmm....

From Bloomberg

Pfizer says it has "millions more doses" of its vaccine waiting in a warehouse for the U.S. government to tell it where to send it, via
@TheTerminal
"As of now, we have not received any shipment instructions for additional doses," Pfizer said.

I've asked the White House for a response, needless to say.

Two days ago, @PressSec said there will be another 4 million Pfizer vaccine doses shipped on Friday. (It's unclear whether that's the same batch that Pfizer is referring to.)

Here’s the plan, the bigger the crater the more difficult it will be to have a successful four years.

We’re dealing with people that want things as bad as possible for the country so they can get their people back in office in 24’

Why, because elections have consequences

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Lets Go Darwin
Old 12-17-2020, 01:44 PM   #12
scottw

Quote:

The Right blames Biden
I don't...

hey, it's going to be interesting in the next few months when all of these people that have been on extended and enhanced unemployment do their taxes
Old 12-17-2020, 02:36 PM   #13
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
I don't...

hey, it's going to be interesting in the next few months when all of these people that have been on extended and enhanced unemployment do their taxes
is there federal withholding on those checks? or do they owe taxes at the end of the year?
Old 12-17-2020, 04:29 PM   #14
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
is there federal withholding on those checks? or do they owe taxes at the end of the year?
Usually there isn’t, it’s up to the individual to plan for it.

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 12-17-2020, 09:55 PM   #15
wdmso

Republicans are pro life accept when it comes to Covid hummm?..
Old 12-17-2020, 10:14 PM   #16
detbuch

Quote:
This is one of the most pathetic comments you've made.
Old 12-18-2020, 06:45 AM   #17
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Pales in comparison to your defense of Tweety.

Here’s the administration’s prolife stance, because in this case some should die so it doesn’t disrupt the lives of others or is it just plain money.

A top Trump appointee, Paul Alexander, repeatedly urged top health officials to adopt a "herd immunity" approach to Covid-19 and allow millions of Americans to be infected by the virus, according to Politico.

"We want them infected," he said.

Lets Go Darwin
Old 12-18-2020, 08:02 AM   #18
wdmso

Quote:
Usual reaction to the truth
Old 12-18-2020, 12:56 PM   #19
scottw

Quote:
wayne, you believe everything you believe and regurgitate is truth and anything that disagrees with your truth is conspiracy theory.....that's self-delusion
Old 12-18-2020, 07:19 PM   #20
wdmso

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
wayne, you believe everything you believe and regurgitate is truth and anything that disagrees with your truth is conspiracy theory.....that's self-delusion
It has nothing to do with disagreeing on an actual point..

But iam sorry if I refuse to entertain lies and falsehoods presented as actual facts..
Old 12-18-2020, 01:18 PM   #21
Jim in CT

Quote:
Its truth, because you say it?

Here's some truth.

The New York Times of all places, published the results of a study that showed that conservatives are actually a little bit more charitable than liberals.

Explain how what you said is "truth", given this data please. We're ALL EARS.

https://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/21/o...21kristof.html
Old 12-18-2020, 01:15 PM   #22
Jim in CT

Quote:
WTF are you talking about? Nancy Pelosi admitted that she blocked passing a smaller relief bill, but now that Biden won, she'll vote for it. She admitted that.

WHat is your evidence that democrats care more "people" than Republicans? Because the data shows clearly that conservatives are actually more likely to give money and time to charity, than liberals, and if you consider the role that religion plays on both sides, that is to be expected.

Also waiting for you to support your absurd claim that Republicans blame Biden for the recent covid spike.

Gov Cuomo killed thousands by forcing nursing homes to admit covid-positive patients, this was long after we all knew it was going to target the elderly. But you have nothing to say about that. None of you do.

republican=bad, democrat=good. We get it.

How about you think for yourself, for two consecutive seconds, and see how it feels? Just two consecutive seconds.

God you're a simpleton.

WHo started the Chicago fire, Wayne? Sarah Palin?
Old 12-18-2020, 02:54 PM   #23
spence

Quote:
Gov Cuomo killed thousands by forcing nursing homes to admit covid-positive patients, this was long after we all knew it was going to target the elderly. But you have nothing to say about that. None of you do.
Because your description isn’t really true.
Old 12-18-2020, 03:03 PM   #24
Pete F.
Canceled

Is this Cuomo's fault, or are you claiming that because some other countries failed, that the USA being one of the worst in it's class despite being historically the most prepared and proactive is acceptable to you?

Just to show how much of an outlier the US is from better performing rich, developed countries, here are covid deaths per million people (adjusted for population) since the pandemic began:

Japan: 21
Australia: 35
South Korea: 12
Norway: 74
New Zealand: 5
Taiwan: 0.3

US: 948

Lets Go Darwin
Old 12-18-2020, 04:33 PM   #25
scottw

Quote:

Just to show how much of an outlier the US is from better performing rich, developed countries, here are covid deaths per million people (adjusted for population) since the pandemic began:

Belgium 1582
Italy 1113
UK 978
France 912

pete likes to cherry pick...Norway...that's a good comparison
Old 12-19-2020, 02:32 AM   #26
scottw

Quote:
here are covid deaths per million people (adjusted for population) since the pandemic began:

dear pete....

states and dictators with strict measures
NJ 2054
NY 1862
Mass 1684
CT 1565
RI 1534

states and governors maligned for not having stricter measures
Fl 950
TX 885
Sc 946
GA 973
Old 12-19-2020, 06:54 PM   #27
wdmso

Quote:
WTF are you talking about? Nancy Pelosi admitted that she blocked passing a smaller relief bill, but now that Biden won, she'll vote for it. She admitted that.

WHat is your evidence that democrats care more "people" than Republicans? Because the data shows clearly that conservatives are actually more likely to give money and time to charity, than liberals, and if you consider the role that religion plays on both sides, that is to be expected.

Also waiting for you to support your absurd claim that Republicans blame Biden for the recent covid spike.

republican=bad, democrat=good. We get it.

How about you think for yourself, for two consecutive seconds, and see how it feels? Just two consecutive seconds.

God you're a simpleton.

WHo started the Chicago fire, Wayne? Sarah Palin?

Jim wake up Republicans don’t care about the avg America your boy Trumps doesn’t care about the avg American and you defending them at every turn over everything shows you don’t care about the avg American..

So please wake up from you kool aid high. You don’t even read it wasn’t Covid it was unemployment numbers ,, still waiting for you to hold Trump responsible for anything

What about Trump talking about martial law at the White House to over turn the election let me guess you can excuse that also

But Republicans have honor integrity ethics ya ok maybe 20years ago

Last edited by wdmso; 12-19-2020 at 07:02 PM..
Old 12-19-2020, 07:29 PM   #28
scottw

Quote:

What about Trump talking about martial law at the White House

You are confused again...he was talking about martial arts....
Old 12-21-2020, 11:44 AM   #29
Jim in CT

Quote:
Jim wake up Republicans don’t care about the avg America your boy Trumps doesn’t care about the avg American and you defending them at every turn over everything shows you don’t care about the avg American..

So please wake up from you kool aid high. You don’t even read it wasn’t Covid it was unemployment numbers ,, still waiting for you to hold Trump responsible for anything

What about Trump talking about martial law at the White House to over turn the election let me guess you can excuse that also

trump cut my taxes. he increased funding at black colleges. so i laugh at your idea that republicans in general, don’t care about regular people. it’s liberals who throw regular people under the bus again and again.
Old 12-21-2020, 12:05 PM   #30
Jim in CT

Quote:

and you know you’re
lying when you say i always defend him. you’re the one who does the same thing every time, you criticize him. you’re incapable of dojng anything else.

i can be fair, criticize him when he deserves it, praise him when he deserves it.

you also need to understand that there’s a lot more to “republicans” than trump. he’s not the party. our ideas are the party, and our ideas, for the most part, are vastly superior to liberal ideas. more common sense, more mathematical realism, more compassion. not even close.

i live in CT, where liberals have ruled for 50 years. liberalism is brutal on the “regular guys.”. CT is turning into a place that has two
kinds of people, the wealthy, and those who clean their pools. i see no concern for regular guys among the liberal agenda.