Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 08-28-2018, 04:21 PM   #61
Nebe

Great post Ross. I agree.
Term limits would help wipe away a lot of grudges as well.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 08-28-2018, 05:20 PM   #62
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfighter View Post
I am amazed that every one of us doesn't first feel outrage with the extremism and dirty play exhibited from both sides..... A common call to decency and working together is long overdue. There is an awful lot of good in the last writings and quotes from Senator John McCain that both sides should seriously contemplate. One of my favorites:

We are three-hundred-and-twenty-five million opinionated, vociferous individuals. We argue and compete and sometimes even vilify each other in our raucous public debates. But we have always had so much more in common with each other than in disagreement. If only we remember that and give each other the benefit of the presumption that we all love our country we will get through these challenging times. We will come through them stronger than before. We always do.
What he said, I’m hoping this sh*t show of behavior by all might lead us to change.
Old 08-28-2018, 06:53 PM   #63
Jim in CT

Quote:
I am amazed that every one of us doesn't first feel outrage with the extremism and dirty play exhibited from both sides..... A common call to decency and working together is long overdue. There is an awful lot of good in the last writings and quotes from Senator John McCain that both sides should seriously contemplate. One of my favorites:

We are three-hundred-and-twenty-five million opinionated, vociferous individuals. We argue and compete and sometimes even vilify each other in our raucous public debates. But we have always had so much more in common with each other than in disagreement. If only we remember that and give each other the benefit of the presumption that we all love our country we will get through these challenging times. We will come through them stronger than before. We always do.
I don't know that we have that much more in common anymore. And from where I sit, that's because the left has gone completely off the deep end, it started with Bush 43 when the Iraq War started going horribly...got worse with McCain, and now with Trump, they have come completely, and I mean completely, unglued. Trump is not helping at all, but he is only POTUS because the left never stops hitting below the belt with people they disagree with. Until they are deceased, apparently. And even then, only if their deaths can be weaponized against Trump.
Old 08-28-2018, 07:36 PM   #64
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
I don't know that we have that much more in common anymore. And from where I sit, that's because the left has gone completely off the deep end, it started with Bush 43 when the Iraq War started going horribly...got worse with McCain, and now with Trump, they have come completely, and I mean completely, unglued. Trump is not helping at all, but he is only POTUS because the left never stops hitting below the belt with people they disagree with. Until they are deceased, apparently. And even then, only if their deaths can be weaponized against Trump.
Exhibit A
Old 08-28-2018, 07:45 PM   #65
Sea Dangles

Jim’s opinion does have a certain credibility only because he occasionally can admit that his party does not have all the answers.
Old 08-28-2018, 07:56 PM   #66
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
And so the conservative con continues

"It's not just Twitter, of course. Facebook is having problems now for the same reason: It treats Republicans and conservatives differently than Democrats and leftists on its site."

Aug. 28, 2018

SAN FRANCISCO — The post went up quietly on Facebook’s internal message board last week. Titled “We Have a Problem With Political Diversity,” it quickly took off inside the social network.

“We are a political monoculture that’s intolerant of different views,” Brian Amerige, a senior Facebook engineer, wrote in the post, which was obtained by The New York Times. “We claim to welcome all perspectives, but are quick to attack — often in mobs — anyone who presents a view that appears to be in opposition to left-leaning ideology.”
Old 08-28-2018, 10:08 PM   #67
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
Exhibit A
Spence, the state of CT economy is deep at the bottom of the toilet because of insane taxes and spending. Every single elected democrat, every single one of them, wants to raise taxes and spend more. You can't talk to these people, it's not possible. They are not persuadable by facts or empirical evidence. All that matters to them, and clearly to you, is ideological purity.

People still listen to Rachael Maddow, she still has credibility, yet for 18 months leading up to the election, she said the only unknown was the size of the rout Hilary was going to win by. And then the Trump tax return disaster.

Paul Krugman said the US economy would never recover from a Trump presidency, and people still pay him to offer opinions.

How wrong do these people have to be, and how often, before people stop listening to them?

I'm sorry, people in San Francisco can poop wherever they feel like, the New Haven Green apparently advertises itself as a place to do drugs without any fear of someone telling you to stop, kids in elementary school get condoms in class but can't get a soft drink, and Willie Horton can go into the ladies room if he just declares "I identify as a woman".

We have our share of individual kooks on the right, no question. But it's not the same degree, the kookiness isn't as widespread, not even close. You want to compare Paul Ryan and Nancy Pelosi? Mitch McConnell and Harry Reid? Please. Paul Ryan and Mitch McConnell aren't even real conservatives, neither is Trump although he is executing like one. I don't think elected Republican, as a group, are anywhere near as far to the right, as democrats are to the left. I think the number of elected offices held by each party, supports that conclusion.

Why do you suppose the GOP controls the house, the senate, the oval office, and a large majority of state governorships and legislatures? And they do so, despite the fact that the media and academia couldn't be more left-leaning?
Old 08-28-2018, 10:09 PM   #68
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dangles View Post
Jim’s opinion does have a certain credibility only because he occasionally can admit that his party does not have all the answers.
And when I conclude my party does have the answer, I can explain why, without my reasons being limited to accusing the other party of hating everybody.
Old 08-29-2018, 04:05 AM   #69
wdmso

you need to go read comments on breitbart if you want to see unhinged

PS I love your revisionist History lesson .... you seem to claim that the republican party hasn't moved Farther right or used elected office to stack the deck

Trump told Evangelical leaders that the vote was a "referendum" on freedom of speech and religion, and that these were threatened by "violent people". It's amazing coming from the man who attacks free speech at every turn unless it praises him

and the tried and true fear mongering

"It's not a question of like or dislike, it's a question that they will overturn everything that we've done and they will do it quickly and violently. And violently. There is violence. When you look at Antifa - these are violent people," he said.

Sad as one has anything to do with the other

Trump "Little thing: Merry Christmas, right? You couldn't say 'Merry Christmas'," he added,

OMG What a snake oil sales man we have for a POTUS .. these Evangelical leaders have sold their souls what ever keeps the pews full and the money flowing in
Old 08-29-2018, 04:07 AM   #70
wdmso

Quote:
And when I conclude my party does have the answer, I can explain why, without my reasons being limited to accusing the other party of hating everybody.
thats funny whats this if not accusing the other party of hating everybody. or blaming

And from where I sit, that's because the left has gone completely off the deep end, it started with Bush 43 when the Iraq War started going horribly...got worse with McCain, and now with Trump, they have come completely, and I mean completely, unglued. Trump is not helping at all, but he is only POTUS because the left never stops hitting below the belt with people they disagree with. Until they are deceased, apparently. And even then, only if their deaths can be weaponized against Trump.
Old 08-29-2018, 05:31 AM   #71
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
Trump's anti-Google tweets show that he doesn't know how the internet works and again getting his info from Fox Trump seemed to be tweeting about Monday's episode of Lou Dobbs' show on Fox Business.

seems your in the same boat
Oh Boy, you figured me out, I have no clue how Dat there innernets works.

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 08-29-2018, 06:19 AM   #72
Jim in CT

Quote:

you need to go read comments on breitbart if you want to see unhinged

PS I love your revisionist History lesson .... you seem to claim that the republican party hasn't moved Farther right or used elected office to stack the deck

Trump told Evangelical leaders that the vote was a "referendum" on freedom of speech and religion, and that these were threatened by "violent people". It's amazing coming from the man who attacks free speech at every turn unless it praises him

"It's not a question of like or dislike, it's a question that they will overturn everything that we've done and they will do it quickly and violently. And violently. There is violence. When you look at Antifa - these are violent people," he said.

Sad as one has anything to do with the other

Trump "Little thing: Merry Christmas, right? You couldn't say 'Merry Christmas'," he added,

OMG What a snake oil sales man we have for a POTUS .. these Evangelical leaders have sold their souls what ever keeps the pews full and the money flowing in
SO you think it's inflammatory of me to say that the left is weaponizing McCain's death, to use as a club against Trump. I agree it's a divisive thing to say. That doesn't mean it's wrong. And it's not wrong. These people despised McCain in 2008.

My post was not designed to bring people together WDMSO, it was intended to explain what has happened since the Iraq War went south.

The left doesn't handle unexpected defeat well, we know this beyond dispute. In 2006, everyone was sick of the Iraq war, and every democrat running in the midterms ran on the platform of "I am not Bush, and if you vote for me, I'll get us out of this war which cannot be won". Well, not only did they fail to get us out of the war, Bush wrangled them to support and fund the Surge, which worked. The left said the war was lost and they'd get us out. Bush instead chose the path to victory, which made them look incredibly foolish on a national scale for the first time. They lost their minds during the 2008 presidential election, kept their composure during the Obama years, and then blew a gasket when the unthinkable happened in 2016. They behave themselves only when they get exactly what they want, exactly when they want it.

When the GOP was annihilated in 2008 (and it was a complete annihilation), they formed the Tea Party. And to say that the GOP comeback was a success, would be a massive understatement.

When the Democrats were annihilated, starting in 2010 and culminating in 2016, the left responded with Occupy Wall Street, Black Lives Matter, and Antifa. Compare the tactics of those groups, with the Tea Party. And compare the results.

The democrats have moved a zillion miles to the left starting with the cultural revolution of the 1960s. Until then, almost all Catholics were democrats. Now, I don't see how any Catholic could possibly vote democrat at the national level, as they DNC platform is openly, unashamedly hostile to Christianity. They removed th wod "god" from a recent national convention, and they never stop complaining that Christians advocate for the enslavement of women.

Hilary's deplorabes comment says it perfectly. It's difficult to have a real conversation with many liberals, on the issues. Because they don't usually respond to the merits of their beliefs, they don't try to persuade you that their beliefs are superior to your beliefs. Rather, they just claim that you hate a sympathetic group of victims.

If you're pro-life, it's not because you have empathy for the unborn (which I have never heard a liberal say, not ONCE), but you want to enslave women.

If you want secure borders, that means you are bigoted against hispanics.

If you want taxes to be no higher than they need to be, you hate poor people.

If you believe radical Islam is an issue, you are an Islamophobe.

If you believe in gay marriage (as both Obama and Hilary did until VERY recently), you are a homophobe.

That was all in Hilary's speech. It depicts where liberalism has gone, perfectly. This is how the left debates and articulates their platform...by constantly claiming, with zero evidence, that the right hates everybody. That's been their strategy since the day the surge was shown to be a complete success. And from what I can see, that strategy isn't working very well. Until this November, which could be a very good day for democrats. But they have nowhere to go but up. They hld fewer elected offices nationwide, than at any time in decades. Obama was a complete disaster for his party.

America, for the most part, likes moderate politicians. The DNC has little use for moderate Democrats. When was the last time the GOP ran a die-hard conservative in a presidential election? But the last two democrat candidates have been far to the left, and it's likely that the 2020 candidate will be even more radically liberal.

The GOP is struggling with a bit of this civil war (between moderates and extremists) too. The democrats already had that civil war, and the extremists won.
Old 08-29-2018, 06:30 AM   #73
Jim in CT

Quote:

Trump told Evangelical leaders that the vote was a "referendum" on freedom of speech and religion, and that these were threatened by "violent people".
But many influential conservatives will readily criticize Trump for his ethical lapses. When Obama and Hilary say similarly offensive things, do they get similar criticism from liberals. Hell, no.

When Obama said "Repubiocans gotta stop just hating all the time", and when Hilary made her deplorables speech, did the most influential liberals go on TV and bash her? No. But with rare exceptions like the moron Sean Hannity, many conservatives will fairly criticize Trump when he deserves it.

Look at this forum. I constantly criticize Trump. Spence constantly defends Obama and Hilary no matter what they do. We are only 2 people, but it's very illustrative of what I'm talking about.

If Hilary had won and had cut taxes and gotten the same economic results as Trump, you'd all be saying she deserves to be on Mount Rushmore. Because it's Trump, you can't admit that economically speaking, we are better off than we were on Obama's last day. If you ever mention that, you give credit to Obama. Sure he deserves some, and I'm very sorry to say this, but so does Trump.

If the left was smart, 2020 would be the year to nominate a moderate with broad appeal, like Bill Clinton was in 1992 (if one exists, and I'm not sure there is one). But they'll go with a fanatic like Warren, because at the national level, that's all there is. She is mainstream on you side. Trump is an outlier on my side, a very very extreme outlier.
Old 08-29-2018, 08:03 AM   #74
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Quote:

Here, here !

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 08-29-2018, 08:23 AM   #75
Jim in CT

Quote:
thats funny whats this if not accusing the other party of hating everybody. or blaming

That's what your party does. So if Hilary calls republicans deplorables, and I call her out for that, that's me being the same hatemonger she is? No, it's not. And I will admit to being, at times, as big of a jerk as she is, and I am working on that. But I'm not someone with influence.
Old 08-29-2018, 08:26 AM   #76
Jim in CT

Quote:

again, it's not fear mongering to call Antifa violent, if they are in fact violent. And of course they are. You deny that?

You are trying to make an equivalence between liberals saying pro lifers want to enslave women, and trump saying Antifa is violent? They are not equivalent. One statement is true, one is false. I'll leave it to you to try and figure out which is which.
Old 08-29-2018, 08:28 AM   #77
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
Here, here !
I agree 100% with the here here. I just don't know how we get back to that unity. We had it right after 9/11. Then the war went very bad, and the divide was exacerbated, and it grows wider every day. I see no end in sight, I can't imagine what would bring us back together, it might take another terrorist attack. The conversations here are very illustrative of this, and I'm as guilty of it as anyone else.
Old 08-29-2018, 08:38 AM   #78
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
I agree 100% with the here here. I just don't know how we get back to that unity. We had it right after 9/11. Then the war went very bad, and the divide was exacerbated, and it grows wider every day. I see no end in sight, I can't imagine what would bring us back together, it might take another terrorist attack. The conversations here are very illustrative of this, and I'm as guilty of it as anyone else.
For everybody to take a quick look in the mirror would be a good start

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 08-29-2018, 08:51 AM   #79
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
For everybody to take a quick look in the mirror would be a good start
I don't know TDF. We need to listen to what other people are actually saying (for example, let's keep taxes no higher than they need to be), as opposed to reacting to what someone else claims we are saying (for example, conservatives only care about the rich).

I don't have a clue how we do it.
Old 08-29-2018, 03:48 PM   #80
wdmso

Quote:
again, it's not fear mongering to call Antifa violent, if they are in fact violent. And of course they are. You deny that?

You are trying to make an equivalence between liberals saying pro lifers want to enslave women, and trump saying Antifa is violent? They are not equivalent. One statement is true, one is false. I'll leave it to you to try and figure out which is which.

. "

it's a question that they will overturn everything that we've done and they will do it quickly and violently. And violently. There is violence. When you look at Antifa - these are violent people,

Trump is referring to a possible out come of losing the house .. and how democrats will overturn his policys ... then Trump starts making it sound like they (dems) are overturning the government.. AKA overthrow when "Trump injected the fear with the antifia reference

it's very clear what his message was. and antifa violence was a clear dog whistle .. which you heard clearly ... no one is questioning that they are not violent
Old 08-29-2018, 04:18 PM   #81
wdmso

really

Quote:
SO you think it's inflammatory of me to say that the left is weaponizing McCain's death, to use as a club against Trump. I agree it's a divisive thing to say. That doesn't mean it's wrong. And it's not wrong. These people despised McCain in 2008.

My post was not designed to bring people together WDMSO, it was intended to explain what has happened since the Iraq War went south.

Bush wrangled them to support and fund the Surge, which worked. The left said the war was lost and they'd get us out. Bush instead chose the path to victory, which made them look incredibly foolish on a national scale for the first time.

I dont blame you since you wasn't in Iraq the surge didn't work and there was no path to Victory and we are still there

They lost their minds during the 2008 presidential election, kept their composure during the Obama years, and then blew a gasket when the unthinkable happened in 2016. They behave themselves only when they get exactly what they want, exactly when they want it.

I know Republicans kept their composure during the Obama years not sure if you were awake those 8 years

When the GOP was annihilated in 2008 (and it was a complete annihilation), they formed the Tea Party. And to say that the GOP comeback was a success, would be a massive understatement.

yes it is an understatement because the GOP is not the GOP of old they Nationalistic and stand for nothing the y once did

When the Democrats were annihilated, starting in 2010 and culminating in 2016, the left responded with Occupy Wall Street, Black Lives Matter, and Antifa. Compare the tactics of those groups, with the Tea Party. And compare the results.

funny how you compare protest groups and the Tea party they are not the same thing (apples @ oranges ) they were all ready elected members of congress who assumed the name for districts votes "The Tea Party movement is an American conservative movement within the Republican Party. "

DNC platform is openly, unashamedly hostile to Christianity.

lie lie lie lie and more of a lie total BS red herring argument

Hilary's deplorabes comment says it perfectly. It's difficult to have a real conversation with many liberals, on the issues. Because they don't usually respond to the merits of their beliefs, they don't try to persuade you that their beliefs are superior to your beliefs. Rather, they just claim that you hate a sympathetic group of victims.

If you're pro-life, it's not because you have empathy for the unborn (which I have never heard a liberal say, not ONCE), but you want to enslave women.

If you want secure borders, that means you are bigoted against hispanics.

If you want taxes to be no higher than they need to be, you hate poor people.

If you believe radical Islam is an issue, you are an Islamophobe.

If you believe in gay marriage (as both Obama and Hilary did until VERY recently), you are a homophobe.

That was all in Hilary's speech. It depicts where liberalism has gone, perfectly. This is how the left debates and articulates their platform...by constantly claiming, with zero evidence, that the right hates everybody. That's been their strategy since the day the surge was shown to be a complete success. And from what I can see, that strategy isn't working very well. Until this November, which could be a very good day for democrats. But they have nowhere to go but up. They hld fewer elected offices nationwide, than at any time in decades. Obama was a complete disaster for his party.

America, for the most part, likes moderate politicians. The DNC has little use for moderate Democrats. When was the last time the GOP ran a die-hard conservative in a presidential election? But the last two democrat candidates have been far to the left, and it's likely that the 2020 candidate will be even more radically liberal.

The GOP is struggling with a bit of this civil war (between moderates and extremists) too. The democrats already had that civil war, and the extremists won.

WOW you are totally unhinged you have managed to regurgitated every GOP talking point in the last 20 years and whats worse you believe it all
keep reading breitbart its a safe place for extremists
Old 08-30-2018, 05:57 AM   #82
Jim in CT

Quote:
. "

it's a question that they will overturn everything that we've done and they will do it quickly and violently. And violently. There is violence. When you look at Antifa - these are violent people,

Trump is referring to a possible out come of losing the house .. and how democrats will overturn his policys ... then Trump starts making it sound like they (dems) are overturning the government.. AKA overthrow when "Trump injected the fear with the antifia reference

it's very clear what his message was. and antifa violence was a clear dog whistle .. which you heard clearly ... no one is questioning that they are not violent
You are correct...Trumps use of the word violent in reference to the elections, is the worst kind of fear mongering. The left won't use violence to win the elections. They have never done that. Fair enough?
Old 08-30-2018, 07:45 AM   #83
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Trump has been using violence and division ever since he began his campaign, from promising to pay the legal bills if one of his supporters would beat the crap out of a rally protester, to engendering fear over violence and collapse of the economy. I only hope the majority of the voting population can see throw this crap and realize the economy will do just fine after he is gone.
Old 08-30-2018, 01:38 PM   #84
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Being retired and due to the heat, I was lucky to be home to watch the memorial service and some wonderful testimonies.
Old 08-30-2018, 02:49 PM   #85
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Stripers View Post
Being retired and due to the heat, I was lucky to be home to watch the memorial service and some wonderful testimonies.
I really liked McCain, and his family's legacy of service, and I melt with respect for those who adopt third world children. He deserved the testimonies. Like most conservatives, I didn't like some of his policies, but the guy stepped up in his military life, his political life, and his personal life, to try and make things better. Very few can say that.
Old 09-01-2018, 10:32 AM   #86
scottw

can't wait till next weekend when the democrats and media nominate mcain for sainthood
Old 09-01-2018, 03:53 PM   #87
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
can't wait till next weekend when the democrats and media nominate mcain for sainthood
You and the other small man think alike, impressed with yourselves aren’t you

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 09-01-2018, 04:06 PM   #88
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
You and the other small man think alike, impressed with yourselves aren’t you
no...just not big into idol worship and phony bs...the genuine tributes to his service to the country are fine and understandable...

the left does a lot of politicking at funerals,,,, that's pretty shameless

was mccain in favor of term limits?

congratulations on a short post and original thought...though the small man thing has been done before and is pretty lame