Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 09-09-2016, 09:09 AM   #1
Fly Rod

C:...Make America Great Again

Trump uses phase, "Make America Great Again,: bill clinton now says it is racist.... bill used it four times in 1991 and it wasn't racist.....unbelieveable....

http://www.breitbart.com/2016-presid...america-great/

"When its not about money,it's all about money."...
Old 09-10-2016, 03:27 PM   #2
wdmso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly Rod View Post
Trump uses phase, "Make America Great Again,: bill clinton now says it is racist.... bill used it four times in 1991 and it wasn't racist.....unbelieveable....

http://www.breitbart.com/2016-presid...america-great/
WOW you really dont understand do you .. its never been about the words .. "Make America Great Again, its always been about the details on the How and why with Trump ..

another simplistic example from the right for their simple followers

this should be the trump campaign slogan "Make America Great Again But keep it simple stupid
Old 09-10-2016, 03:46 PM   #3
Fly Rod

U R an idiot.....

"When its not about money,it's all about money."...
Old 09-10-2016, 03:51 PM   #4
buckman

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
WOW you really dont understand do you .. its never been about the words .. "Make America Great Again, its always been about the details on the How and why with Trump ..

another simplistic example from the right for their simple followers

this should be the trump campaign slogan "Make America Great Again But keep it simple stupid
Bill Clinton pretty much called all southern white people racist . To say that the slogan "Make America great again "is all about white power it's a stretch by any imagination .
Let's not forget to look into the history books and you'll find that Democrats founded the KKK and the Democrats fought for a states right to keep slavery while the Republicans fought to abolish it .
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 09-11-2016, 07:05 AM   #5
wdmso

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
Bill Clinton pretty much called all southern white people racist . To say that the slogan "Make America great again "is all about white power it's a stretch by any imagination .
Let's not forget to look into the history books and you'll find that Democrats founded the KKK and the Democrats fought for a states right to keep slavery while the Republicans fought to abolish it .
Another example of the simplistic View forwarded by Conservatives
can we talk current events.. not how things were 140 years ago

Historians say the KKK consisted of a group of Southern whites after the Civil War who were Democrats. But there’s no evidence the KKK was created by their political party.

It should also be noted that the anti-black Democratic Party of the 1860s and 1870s bears no similarity to the party of today.
Old 09-11-2016, 07:30 AM   #6
Jim in CT

Quote:

Historians say the KKK consisted of a group of Southern whites after the Civil War who were Democrats. But there’s no evidence the KKK was created by their political party.

It should also be noted that the anti-black Democratic Party of the 1860s and 1870s bears no similarity to the party of today.
Which party supported segregation in the 1950s, which party worked to end segregation?
Old 09-11-2016, 09:31 AM   #7
wdmso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
Which party supported segregation in the 1950s, which party worked to end segregation?

again that was 66 years ago your getting closer it is 2016

todays republicans Party I stress TODAYS

A federal appeals court has blocked a proof-of-citizenship requirement on a federal mail voter registration form in Kansas, Alabama and Georgia.

Supreme Court Shuts Down Michigan’s Push To Eliminate ‘Straight-Ticket’ Voting

Republican-Authored Voting Laws in Wisconsin, Kansas, North Carolina Overturned

the new GOP we dont need to convince you to Vote for us we'll just make it harder in the hopes you don't vote for them
Old 09-11-2016, 07:32 AM   #8
scottw

Quote:

that was funny
Old 09-11-2016, 08:17 AM   #9
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Maybe you should run that philosophy by The reparations folks....

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 09-10-2016, 04:56 PM   #10
Nebe

America is still great. Sorry.
Old 09-10-2016, 05:35 PM   #11
buckman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe View Post
America is still great. Sorry.
Still the best 👍
Old 09-11-2016, 10:52 AM   #12
detbuch

Quote:

There is a difference between simplistic and simplified. For purposes of brief discussion, such as on this forum, complex issues are usually simplified.

We could. If we wish to be simplistic, we could say, in relation to race, that The Democrat Party of today is not the same as that of 140 years ago. It does not support actual slavery as that institution was known 140 years ago.

If we wish to simplify, we could say that, in many ways, there are similarities in racial attitudes between the Party then and now. After the Republicans destroyed that old notion of slavery, the notion of so-called white supremacy continued overtly in the Democrat Party for several decades. Then, in order to get the black vote which had become crucial, the racist attitude of the Party lessened its overt expression and became more subtle. There is now a parallel similarity in terms of dependence and control between Blacks and the Democrat party--to the extent that Blacks, to a great extent, fear actual freedom, fear to shape their own lives without government (Democrat) assistance.

That group of Southern whites was not banned by the Democrat Party. There was sympathy in the Party toward the KKK movement. Several years after the KKK was established, Woodrow Wilson, though born in Virginia, was basically a Northerner, a Governor of New Jersey, and one of the first "Progressive" Presidents (and a Democrat), praised the movie "Birth of a Nation." He represented the still overt but more subtle face of White supremacy. Blacks should not be slaves, but they should know their place as the inferior race. To be fair, whites, in general, regardless of party, probably held that notion. But party policies have created a different view which can also be translated to race. Conservative policies and notional philosophy stress individual responsibility, and Progressive policies and philosophy tend toward dependence on government. Somehow, the Conservative view is supposed to be "racist." I suppose because Blacks are still supposed to be oppressed by the legacy of slavery and so cannot yet have the ability to be self-sufficient. Well, Republicans cannot be blamed for that legacy.

So, then, with FDR's "New Deal" and its labor movement, there was ushered into the American psyche, for all races, the need for powerful government intervention in all lives. This is actually an elitist rather than a racist view. But as various civil rights acts were being passed with majority Republican and minority Democrat support, it became apparent that to hold the growing black vote, Democrats had to stress race as one of its more important elitisms. LBJ's "Great Society" did that. And the subtlest white supremacy was ingrained into Democrat Party philosophy--Blacks are not at the level of Whites, and Whites must help them get there.

There's this concocted notion of Nixon's Southern Strategy creating a massive switch in party allegiance from "Dixiecrat" to Republican. Actually, the vast majority of Democrat Party officials in power at the time, did not switch. And what is notable since the South became Republican is that it is less racist.

As for the similarity of the Party between then and now, see the above. The Democrat Party not only still holds a slave-like dependence of blacks to it, it has spread its controlling tentacles toward all the races in America. This coming election may clasp those tentacles more firmly around all of us.

Last edited by detbuch; 09-11-2016 at 11:06 AM..
Old 09-14-2016, 03:15 PM   #13
PaulS

And you can't tell me that those Repub. Legisl. put those restrictions in for any other reason than to keep minorities from being able to vote. And they go well beyond voter id.
Old 09-14-2016, 03:22 PM   #14
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
And you can't tell me that those Repub. Legisl. put those restrictions in for any other reason than to keep minorities from being able to vote. And they go well beyond voter id.
You made the claim that the id requirement us racist. Your 'proof' is:

(1) some judge said so, apparently without clarifying how it targets blacks
(2) the GOP endorsed the notion, and they are all racists, so it must be racist

Paul, do you have any evidence that he process is different (harder) for blacks? Or are you saying that there skin color means they are less able to get the id?
Old 09-15-2016, 07:14 AM   #15
PaulS

Have I mentioned Racism in my posts other than to mention what Colin Powell thinks of the birther movement (and I guess the Republican Presidential candidate Donald Trump).

However, since you brought it up. - It's crazy to think the Birther movement didn't have any racism involved w/it.

But back to the orginal point - in that absense of any real voter fraud do you agree that the NC voter ID law (and the other aspects like closing polling places, shorting voting times, etc.) was meant to prevent Blacks from voting?
Old 09-15-2016, 07:19 AM   #16
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
However, since you brought it up. - It's crazy to think the Birther movement didn't have any racism involved w/it.
Well, Explain it to me?

Old 09-15-2016, 07:21 AM   #17
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
Well, Explain it to me?
(1) Colin Powell said so.
(2) it makes conservatives look hateful

That, to liberals, more than suffices as evidence of racism.
Old 09-15-2016, 08:09 AM   #18
PaulS

Quote:
Well, Explain it to me?
The many, many racist signs which were so prevelant early on.
Old 09-15-2016, 08:25 AM   #19
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
The many, many racist signs which were so prevelant early on.
were any of those signs being held by elected officials?

there are kooks and a-holes in all walks of life.....just because some racist nut cases show up in support of something doesn't make that initial thing racist.

I asked how does asking somebody for a birth certificate or proof of citizenship meet the definition of racism.

was it racist for people to ask for Ted Cruz's proof?

Old 09-15-2016, 08:26 AM   #20
scottw

Quote:

was it racist for people to ask for Ted Cruz's proof?
and John McCain
Old 09-15-2016, 08:46 AM   #21
PaulS

Quote:
I asked how does asking somebody for a birth certificate or proof of citizenship meet the definition of racism.
Why don't you ask someone who claimed it meet the defintion of racism?
Old 09-15-2016, 07:20 AM   #22
Jim in CT

Quote:
Have I mentioned Racism in my posts other than to mention what Colin Powell thinks of the birther movement (and I guess the Republican Presidential candidate Donald Trump).

But back to the orginal point - in that absense of any real voter fraud do you agree that the NC voter ID law (and the other aspects like closing polling places, shorting voting times, etc.) was meant to prevent Blacks from voting?
"Have I mentioned Racism in my posts "

Are you feeling OK? Seriously, are you OK? Because you have said a couple of times lately, that "Republicans have no use for minorities. "

"It's crazy to think the Birther movement didn't have any racism involved w/it"

Ah, but you didn't say there was "some" racism. You said the movement itself was racist. Two very different things. I don't think liberals even notice anymore, when they accuse conservatives of racism. It's like breathing to them (and you) now. You don't even notice when you are doing it anymore.
Old 09-15-2016, 08:23 AM   #23
PaulS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
"Have I mentioned Racism in my posts "

Are you feeling OK? Seriously, are you OK? Because you have said a couple of times lately, that "Republicans have no use for minorities. "So you think my saying that is saying they are racist?

"It's crazy to think the Birther movement didn't have any racism involved w/it"

Ah, but you didn't say there was "some" racism.Actually I think you need to go back and read what I wrote I never mentioned racism 1 way or the other. I repeated what the person you hold up to show the Repubs. appeal to minorities said about the birher movement. You said the movement itself was racist. Pls. point out where I said that. Two very different things. I don't think liberals even notice anymore, when they accuse conservatives of racism. It's like breathing to them (and you) now. You don't even notice when you are doing it anymore.
Can you pls. point out where I accused conservatives of racism?
Old 09-15-2016, 08:53 AM   #24
Jim in CT

Quote:
Can you pls. point out where I accused conservatives of racism?
Do you have a concussion?

You said that the GOP has no use for minorities.

Here are some other things you said on this thread, these are exact quotes...

"you can't tell me that those Repub. Legisl. put those restrictions in for any other reason than to keep minorities from being able to vote"

"Funny you mention Colin Powell - he just said the whole Birther movement was racist. "

"The many, many racist signs which were so prevelant early on. "

90% of your posts accuse conservatives of racism. The other 10% of your posts, consist of you stubbornly saying that you never accused anyone of racism.

George Bush - saved a million lives in Africa, promoted many blacks to very high profile positions (but he was called a racist by your side)

John McCain - adopted an orphaned girl from Bangladesh (the New York Times published a front page story, totally false, that he fathered the girl with a mistress). Read that again. Adopting an orphan from Bangladesh, is one of the finest expressions of love a human being can contemplate. And instead of giving him credit for that, it was used as a club against him.

Mitt Romney - has a black grandson. For that, the family was ridiculed by a black host at MSNBC who has her own program and is paid a king's ransom, that's how highly she is thought of.

If these GOP leaders are racists, they really stink at being racist. They need to take some lessons on how to really be racist.
Old 09-15-2016, 07:32 AM   #25
scottw

Quote:

Have I mentioned Racism in my posts?
when you don't in some form or fashion, it's a shocker
Old 09-15-2016, 10:34 AM   #26
scottw

Quote:

Have I mentioned Racism in my posts?
nearly every post in this thread

it's amusing...keep going...you're on record pace
Old 09-15-2016, 10:38 AM   #27
PaulS

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
nearly every post in this thread

it's amusing...keep going...you're on record pace
Actually your snarkiness is amusing. I'll get back to you when I need some customer service
Old 09-15-2016, 10:50 AM   #28
scottw

Quote:
Actually your snarkiness is amusing. I'll get back to you when I need some customer service
glad you approve and find amusement....you know that I love you
Old 09-15-2016, 10:57 AM   #29
PaulS

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
glad you approve and find amusement....you know that I love you
Thank you and I love you too
Old 09-15-2016, 07:23 AM   #30
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

the only good thing about Hilary getting elected is that I won't be called a racist because I'm white.

I'll get to be called Sexist and a Misogynist because I'm male

but regardless, all the ills in this country are going to be my fault

Last edited by The Dad Fisherman; 09-15-2016 at 07:35 AM..