Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Plug Building - Got Wood?

Plug Building - Got Wood? Got Plug?

Old 02-09-2006, 10:47 AM   #91
Tagger
Hydro Orientated Lures

Test swam the white one yesterday .. Sat in the salt pretty much identical to the fresh water I been tanking them in .. Cast very well,,no helicopter,, right out there, It just sat on top tip of beak to 2" back from arse,, Round mound of top of the plug sitting high and dry very visible.. I gave it a good tug and started slow retrieve and it was gone.. Didn't make eye contact again with it until it was close and it was making its way back and forth slowly and randomly,, I was amazed at how slow I could retrieve this massive piece of wood.. I thought any slow down in retrieve and this plug was going to come to the surface like a cork . It didn't in fact it stayed down and did little swimmer like wiggles on very slow retrieve,, reel a little faster and it would start to sweep .. I would say retrieve on this plug should be varied all the way in . The plug stayed level also ,, did not dig down banging off the bottom but stayed very close to the bottom .. I tested off a beach so maybe it will bang the bottom in heavy current .. Very bottle darter like .. now to see how it catches .. Should be good ,,late fall , about 2 am., Only modification ,,,might be a good idea,, brought to my attention by Tobias is to delete "belly arse" hook and go with 2 hooks .. Andy says he's done it with no ill effects to plug action .. I still went with the 3 so it could be an option , I'd like to try two 4/0 or even 5/0 hooks on this plug .. think the wood can handle it .. all done with this... on to Lil Nike ,, I hope ..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	romnik.JPG
Views:	274
Size:	26.3 KB
ID:	14068  

Belcher Goonfoock (retired)
(dob 4-21-07)
Tagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 11:01 AM   #92
PNG

Nice job Tagger. I have a Lil' something for yah I am on my 6th version, we'll see. Trying for different wx conditions. I can see variations of this thing for specific areas. You're explanation of how it swims is great. What a weird plug.
PNG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 11:12 AM   #93
steelhead

Looks great Tagger. Swims better! You bringing any to the Fest? Would love to see how close my eyeball one came to the "actual" profile....
steelhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 11:15 AM   #94
Tagger
Hydro Orientated Lures

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelhead
Looks great Tagger. Swims better! You bringing any to the Fest? Would love to see how close my eyeball one came to the "actual" profile....
Better than that ,,, VB Peter will have his Floyd Roman Nike collection on display,, nothing better than seeing the real Mc Coy

(dob 4-21-07)
Old 02-09-2006, 11:17 AM   #95
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Those are awesome.

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
The Dad Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 11:38 AM   #96
steelhead

Great! I'll bring the two that I've done. They don't quite sit in the water like you describe. But I'm getting there....
steelhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 12:13 PM   #97
numbskull
Oblivious // Grunt, Grunt Master

Curses on you, Tagger! You just keep fueling the obsession. Soon revenge will be mine
numbskull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 12:34 PM   #98
Pete F.
Canceled

I'm gonna try it with a hackle tail, no hook. I think that might be sweet.

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Pete F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 12:37 PM   #99
Karl F

Thumbs up

Bandsaw Ed.. you do schweet stuff, you sure do like to punish yourself, and we all, are gratefull that you do.. Keep it comin Taggah
Karl F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 06:53 PM   #100
Backbeach Jake

Thumbs up

Geeze, all I did was ask where the weight went! Tagger , I can't thank you and Numbskull enough for all this research and information. This plug is an incredible piece of work. Damn near Zen-like in it's apparent simplicity. Without this body of work, I would never have understood these enough to build one that worked. Now I have to get spinning! Thank you!!

He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself.
Thomas Paine
Backbeach Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 08:17 AM   #101
Tagger
Hydro Orientated Lures

Thank You Jake/Fred ...

(dob 4-21-07)
Old 02-25-2006, 11:42 PM   #102
jkswimmer

are these dimensions and shape close to what you are turning

Last edited by jkswimmer; 09-02-2006 at 03:03 PM..
jkswimmer is offline   Reply With Quote