Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 06-13-2018, 09:40 PM   #91
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
But i do understand what you propose, I just believe that some people have and will always want Wealth and Power over others.

What is the connection between what I supposedly propose and your belief that some people have and will always want wealth and power over others? Should those people be eliminated? Are they bad? Do they do anything good? Does getting rid of free market, or controlling the market, or abolish the market altogether, neutralize or do away with those people? Do those people inherently exist in any sizable community of people no matter what the political structure of those communities is?

That is why I referred you to that movie. The Bushmen had an absolute free market.

I guess I'd have to see the movie to discover what you mean by the Bushmen having an absolute free market. The articles that you posted don't mention or imply any market activity of the Bushmen. Actually, I will try to see the movie. It sounds interesting. Thanks for the referral.

Shakespeare also wrote comedies. Art is important in society as more than just pretty pictures.

Of course! I love the Arts. Shakespeare, and Homer, and the Bible, even in translation, are for me the summum bonum of language artistry. You can throw in Dostoevsky and Hemingway and a whole lot of poets. Twain is pretty good too. And on and on. Art speaks to what some call the soul--that which cannot be defined--that which stirs up powers of truth and beauty beyond logic or mechanical precision.

But, for me, they are not sources on how to form a government or fix a car.

Here is a more in depth look at that movie, take with a grain of salt like all things.
https://grahambaden.com/2014/04/04/t...must-be-crazy/

You're right. I need the grain of salt to digest what your article is trying to say. I starts off OK then drifts into a Post Modern, Cultural Marxist critique of power conflicts, race and class struggle stuff which, to me, is biased and off the mark. The noble savage being superior to the technocrat is a shallow perspective that touches on the surface of humanity but doesn't reach the universal depth of human nature.

But I do agree with the movie's theme of technology separating us from nature. But it is not the technology that does it. Rather it is our use of technology that results in making us an observer and master of nature rather than an integral participant. And that is not all bad. I may be wrong, but I'd guess that you would prefer to live in our techno world than as a pre-modern Bushman.

Still, we tend to become more abstract beings as we immerse into the electric, touch screen mode of living. But we still have the choice, in our leisure time to be in contact with actual people and actual places and actual nature.

Hey, it could also be a view in part of what the world will be like after the next world War.
Don't know about any of that, but I don't think Trump would start that war. If you want to be cynical about it, he has too many properties that would be destroyed. But I, personally, don't see any evidence of him being a warmonger. And that certainly is not in the nature of one who considers himself a deal maker.
Old 06-14-2018, 06:44 AM   #92
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
Ok. I'll make sure I choose a right leaning source just to be safe.

Inflation rises at fastest pace in six years...average wages did not rise over the last 12 months, while real average hourly earnings fell 0.1 percent from last year.

http://thehill.com/policy/finance/39...e-in-six-years
I can cite as many sources as you can, to say that wages are up. Neither of us knows, I guess.

What we do know, is that take home wages are up, thanks to the tax cuts.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 06-14-2018, 07:46 AM   #93
zimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post

What we do know, is that take home wages are up, thanks to the tax cuts.
Maybe take home wages are up, a tiny bit... That doesn't necessarily equate to people having a net positive in wealth. If everything costs more as a result of the tax cuts, well you can figure out the rest...

"Inflationary pressures from the tax overhaul and fiscal stimulus will be the surprise result in 2018, says Brent Schutte, the chief investment strategist for Northwestern Mutual Wealth Management Company."
http://www.businessinsider.com/tax-r...flation-2018-1

No, no, no. we’re 30… 30, three zero.
Old 06-14-2018, 08:00 AM   #94
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimmy View Post

If everything costs more as a result of the tax cuts, well you can figure out the rest...

"Inflationary pressures from the tax overhaul and fiscal stimulus will be the surprise result in 2018, says Brent Schutte, the chief investment strategist for Northwestern Mutual Wealth Management Company."
http://www.businessinsider.com/tax-r...flation-2018-1
but he goes on to say that the inflation we're seeing is lagging from 12-18 months ago....

"Inflation is a lagging indicator," he said about the current inflation levels, which he added are a reflection of 12 to 18 months ago when the global economy was recovering from a weak period of growth caused by a supply-drive oil war"

....the tax cuts just went into effect recently....how are they(tax cuts) causing everything to cost more if things are costing more due to lagging inflation cause by something 12-18 months ago?
Old 06-14-2018, 08:17 AM   #95
zimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
but he goes on to say that the inflation we're seeing is lagging from 12-18 months ago....

"Inflation is a lagging indicator," he said about the current inflation levels, which he added are a reflection of 12 to 18 months ago when the global economy was recovering from a weak period of growth caused by a supply-drive oil war"

....the tax cuts just went into effect recently....how are they(tax cuts) causing everything to cost more if things are costing more due to lagging inflation cause by something 12-18 months ago?
You are right, he probably should have said 2019. Though he doesn't claim it is causing inflation now, as you state. In any case, Jim is talking about people have more money now (he use words like "in their pocket; take home wages.") The point is that the tax cuts may cause wage increases immediately (though they haven't very much) and then they may lead to inflation. The result might be everything costs more and people haven't made enough to off set the cost.

Last edited by zimmy; 06-14-2018 at 08:25 AM..

Old 06-14-2018, 08:44 AM   #96
detbuch

Sounds like a bunch of economic prognostication about what we don't actually know will happen. In the meantime, we do know that a significant number of jobs have been created. And if the wage-price spiral continues, when inflation creates higher prices, wage hikes will later follow. Price and wage hikes (or drops) don't both happen at the same time. One follows, later, the occurrence of the other.

But who knows? Supporters of Trump paint a rosy picture. Detractors predict gloom and doom.
Old 06-14-2018, 08:49 AM   #97
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by detbuch View Post
Sounds like a bunch of economic prognostication about what we don't actually know will happen..
yup...just a prediction...probably predicted trump would never be president too
Old 06-14-2018, 08:52 AM   #98
scottw

Quote:
You are right, he probably should have said 2019. Though he doesn't claim it is causing inflation now, as you state. In any case, Jim is talking about people have more money now (he use words like "in their pocket; take home wages.") The point is that the tax cuts may cause wage increases immediately (though they haven't very much) and then they may lead to inflation. The result might be everything costs more and people haven't made enough to off set the cost.
"probably, may, might".....

are you assuming wages will never increase?
with all those jobs out there it's a great time to get a second job like we used to do in the old days
Old 06-14-2018, 08:55 AM   #99
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Getting a job is great, but if it's paying minimum wage, I guess you need to live with your parents a bit longer.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/business...zOL/story.html
Old 06-14-2018, 10:02 AM   #100
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Stripers View Post
Getting a job is great, but if it's paying minimum wage, I guess you need to live with your parents a bit longer.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/business...zOL/story.html

preface of the report is by Bernie Sanders

seems the situation is the worst in the most liberal states

overtime and a second job would help....

Last edited by scottw; 06-14-2018 at 10:10 AM..
Old 06-14-2018, 11:01 AM   #101
zimmy

Quote:
"probably, may, might".....
What the h else could accurately be said about something that hasn't happened yet? They are auxiliary verbs and unless you are the moron running things these days you would allow for uncertainty. He just says things like

"I may be wrong, I mean I may stand before you in six months and say, 'Hey I was wrong, I don't know that I'll ever admit that, but I'll find some kind of an excuse."

Of course it is prognostication. It is based on what has happened in the past under similar conditions.

Old 06-14-2018, 11:17 AM   #102
scottw

Quote:
What the h else could accurately be said about something that hasn't happened yet?
you wrote ...."Maybe take home wages are up, a tiny bit... That doesn't necessarily equate to people having a net positive in wealth. If everything costs more as a result of the tax cuts, well you can figure out the rest..."

reads like present not future....
Old 06-14-2018, 11:45 AM   #103
zimmy

Quote:
you wrote ...."Maybe take home wages are up, a tiny bit... That doesn't necessarily equate to people having a net positive in wealth. If everything costs more as a result of the tax cuts, well you can figure out the rest..."

reads like present not future....
Right. At times, Jim has poo poo'd people's suggestions that we kinda need to wait and see what happens a bit longer before we start lauding Trump for the "great things he has done for the economy." That discussion involves present and future. If you think the tax cuts were a great decision, you might side with Jim. If you think they weren't, as employed, the best decision you probably have to give it some time before putting up the mission accomplished banner.

Old 06-14-2018, 12:03 PM   #104
scottw

Quote:
Right. At times, Jim has poo poo'd people's suggestions that we kinda need to wait and see what happens a bit longer before we start lauding Trump for the "great things he has done for the economy." That discussion involves present and future. If you think the tax cuts were a great decision, you might side with Jim. If you think they weren't, as employed, the best decision you probably have to give it some time before putting up the mission accomplished banner.
that makes less sense than Spence suggesting the media was rough on Obama...and not nearly as funny
Old 06-14-2018, 12:10 PM   #105
wdmso

Minimum Wage Workers in Washington Must Work 93 Hours a Week to Afford a Two-Bedroom Apartment

even in Arkansas, the state with the cheapest housing in the country. One would need to earn $13.84 an hour — about $29,000 a year — to afford a two-bedroom apartment there. The minimum wage in Arkansas is $8.50 an hour.

Massachusetts, where the minimum wage is $11 an hour, ranks as the sixth most expensive state, with a wage of $28.64 needed to afford a two-bedroom apartment ($59,571 a year). And in the Boston-Cambridge-Quincy metropolitan area, nearly five dollars an hour more is needed than the state figure, at $33.46 ($69,600 a year).

Downsizing to a one-bedroom apartment will only help so much.

According to the report, a one-bedroom is affordable for minimum-wage workers in only 22 counties in five states: Arizona, California, Colorado, Oregon and Washington. Those states all set their minimum wages higher than the federal minimum of $7.25.

In Massachusetts, renters would need to make $23.15 an hour to afford a one-bedroom, the report said. In the Boston-Cambridge-Quincy metropolitan area, that rises to $27.33.

Nationally, one would have to earn $17.90 an hour to afford a modest one-bedroom apartment or $22.10 an hour for a two-bedroom rental. That’s based on the common budgeting standard of spending a maximum of 30 percent of income on housing.

The report estimates that renters nationally make an average of $16.88 an hour. That means even those making above minimum wage struggle to afford rent.

The low-wage workforce is projected to grow over the next decade, particularly in service-sector jobs such as personal-care aides and food-preparation workers.

Meanwhile, the Trump administration has tried cutting federal housing subsidies for the lowest-income Americans. As it stands, only 1 in 4 households eligible for federal rent assistance gets any help, the report said. Housing and Urban Development Secretary Ben Carson recently proposed tripling rent for the poorest households and making it easier for housing authorities to impose work requirements on those receiving rent subsidies.

And these are the jobs that are being created Min wage jobs .. it is also where the shortage of workers are ,, shocking
Old 06-14-2018, 01:12 PM   #106
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
And these are the jobs that are being created Min wage jobs .. it is also where the shortage of workers are ,, shocking
These don't look like minimum wage jobs to me

http://money.cnn.com/2018/05/04/news...age/index.html

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.368b740fd52e

http://www.mhlnews.com/labor-managem...challenge-2018

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 06-14-2018, 01:25 PM   #107
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Don't know about any of that, but I don't think Trump would start that war. If you want to be cynical about it, he has too many properties that would be destroyed. But I, personally, don't see any evidence of him being a warmonger. And that certainly is not in the nature of one who considers himself a deal maker.
It actually was not a reference to Trump, more of one attributed to Einstein
“I do not know with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.”
Quote:
What is the connection between what I supposedly propose and your belief that some people have and will always want wealth and power over others?Do you propose an absolute anarchy? or some controls? Should those people be eliminated?No Are they bad? Some are Do they do anything good? Some do Does getting rid of free market, or controlling the market, or abolish the market altogether, neutralize or do away with those people? Government can attempt to control them or be them. Do those people inherently exist in any sizable community of people no matter what the political structure of those communities is?
Absolutely

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 06-14-2018, 01:46 PM   #108
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
These don't look like minimum wage jobs to me

http://money.cnn.com/2018/05/04/news...age/index.html
Manufacturing jobs have been a problem for years now. The issue is having workers with the right skills in the right places.
Old 06-14-2018, 01:59 PM   #109
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Manufacturing jobs have been a problem for years now. The issue is having workers with the right skills in the right places.
Point is that these are skilled jobs, not minimum wage jobs, and there is a shortage of workers for them.

So why aren't people getting the skills to get these jobs?

Old 06-14-2018, 02:26 PM   #110
wdmso

largest number of new job openings -- about 423,200 -- will be for home health aides, the report found. Guess what they get paid

Firms that save money from the tax cuts may simply be unable to find more workers to hire at the price they are willing to pay.

thats the key phrase willing to pay ....
Old 06-14-2018, 02:36 PM   #111
wdmso

Quote:
Point is that these are skilled jobs, not minimum wage jobs, and there is a shortage of workers for them.

So why aren't people getting the skills to get these jobs?
thay maybe skilled but the vast majority of new jobs pay min wage and even with the schooling companys do not want to pay

wife's been a nurse same place for 20 years the company gave 3.00 hr raise to all the nurses except her and 3 others 20 plus year nurses when ask why they didn't get a raise they were told the raises were incentive to keep new nurses so now an inexperienced nurse makes 1dollar less 20 year experienced Nurse basic answer be happy you have a job

My Daughter Is a skilled worker makes a great hourly rate but only can piece together 23 hours a week all hours of the day

landscaper canceled spring clean up because he had no help.. why bust your ass for 12 bucks an hour for 40 hrs when you work inside at amazon in AC and make the same money.... yes the economy is great ... but with out wage growth its like running on a treadmill sure it will improve your health make you feel good ... but when you get off your in the same place as you started

Last edited by wdmso; 06-14-2018 at 02:47 PM..
Old 06-14-2018, 03:28 PM   #112
scottw

Quote:

the vast majority of new jobs pay min wage
?

the number of workers earning minimum wage is statistically very small compared to the total number of hourly workers and a good percentage of those are teenagers....not people trying to rent two bedroom apartments in Cambridge and San Francisco
Old 06-14-2018, 03:38 PM   #113
spence

Quote:
?

the number of workers earning minimum wage is statistically very small compared to the total number of hourly workers and a good percentage of those are teenagers....not people trying to rent two bedroom apartments in Cambridge and San Francisco
That's extremely deceptive and only the case if you look at hourly workers earning exactly the federal minimum wage. Many states have higher minimums that wouldn't be counted that way. Also nearly half of hourly workers earn less than 15 dollars an hour.

Adults earning just above minimum wage are the bigger issue.
Old 06-14-2018, 03:49 PM   #114
scottw

Quote:
That's extremely deceptive and only the case if you look at hourly workers earning exactly the federal minimum wage. Many states have higher minimums that wouldn't be counted that way. Also nearly half of hourly workers earn less than 15 dollars an hour.

Adults earning just above minimum wage are the bigger issue.
it was actually pretty straight forward and common sense..
Old 06-14-2018, 03:53 PM   #115
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
largest number of new job openings -- about 423,200 -- will be for home health aides, the report found. Guess what they get paid
Funny, it says here that the average for a home health aide is $19 an hour and can be up to $30 an hour depending on location

Old 06-14-2018, 04:02 PM   #116
spence

Quote:
Funny, it says here that the average for a home health aide is $19 an hour and can be up to $30 an hour depending on location
That's likely factoring in management or director level people running the programs. I'd wager most home health aids and hospice workers are under 15 an hour. I have a family member who relies on them and they can barely survive.
Old 06-14-2018, 04:20 PM   #117
zimmy

Quote:
that makes less sense than Spence suggesting the media was rough on Obama...and not nearly as funny
I understand, but I feel like we have gone through this with you before. It is like me blaming Feinstein because I have a hard time with quantum mechanics, and this ain't rocket science.

Old 06-14-2018, 05:39 PM   #118
scottw

Quote:
That's likely factoring in management or director level people running the programs. I'd wager most home health aids and hospice workers are under 15 an hour. I have a family member who relies on them and they can barely survive.
"the average for a home health aide is $19 an hour and can be up to $30"

they didn't say management or director they said "home health aid"

you do understand that workers generally start at one pay level and then get things called raises for performance and longevity
Old 06-14-2018, 05:40 PM   #119
scottw

Quote:

It is like me blaming Feinstein because I have a hard time with quantum mechanics,

I honestly have no idea what you are talking about
Old 06-14-2018, 08:40 PM   #120
zimmy

Quote:
I honestly have no idea what you are talking about
Volume 30: Pages 57-59, 2017

Why do we live in a quantum world?

Craig Alan Feinstein
Anybody who has ever studied quantum mechanics knows that it is a very counterintuitive theory, even though it has been an incredibly successful theory. This paper aims to remove this counter intuitiveness by showing that the laws of quantum mechanics are a natural consequence of classical Newtonian mechanics combined with the digital universe hypothesis of Konrad Zuse and Edward Fredkin. We also present a possible way to test the digital universe hypothesis...