Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 11-13-2014, 10:27 AM   #1
rphud
GrandBob

What's up with this Jonathan Gruber guy?

I'm just asking.

His wiki-bio says

Jonathan Holmes Gruber is a professor of economics at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, where he has taught since 1992. He is also the director of the Health Care Program at the National Bureau of Economic Research, where he is a research associate. He is an associate editor of both the Journal of Public Economics and the Journal of Health Economics. Gruber has been heavily involved in crafting public health policy. He was a key architect of both the 2006 Massachusetts health care reform, sometimes referred to as "Romneycare", and the 2010 Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act, sometimes referred to as "Obamacare".
Old 11-13-2014, 11:18 AM   #2
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

This guy is just another so called intellectual professor that worked on Obamacare saying 3 times that we average people were not smart enough to understand it, and lies needed to be told to us to get the Bill passed.
It was not a tax,you could keep your insurance and doctor if you wanted, etc. etc. were just a few of the many lies told to get it passed.
He visited the White House over 36 times during it's formation.
Great example for our kids from Obama, it's OK to lie to get what you want. What a cool guy.
I guess we just became smart on November 4 2014.

" Choose Life "
Old 11-13-2014, 11:49 AM   #3
spence

I think it's most likely he's just a *bit* arrogant. Also, the claims he's reported as making aren't even really true.

More importantly...the ACA has increased the number of insured, it's improving the health of those now insured, it's dramatically slowing the rise in costs and more insurers are competing in the marketplaces.

Bill isn't perfect but so far it's working as intended.
Old 11-13-2014, 12:19 PM   #4
buckman

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
I think it's most likely he's just a *bit* arrogant. Also, the claims he's reported as making aren't even really true.

More importantly...the ACA has increased the number of insured, it's improving the health of those now insured, it's dramatically slowing the rise in costs and more insurers are competing in the marketplaces.

You're full of crap Spence.
What in this administration is it lies. He's on an apology tour as we speak trying to take those words back.
My insurance has switched because of Obamacare and it is now costing me thousands more. Companies are looking for less expensive policies which in turn cost workers a lot more money.
My health cost for my family are now in the order of $24,000 a year.
The healthcare sucks too
You can spin it that healthcare costs were going to spin out of control anyways . Have at it
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 11-13-2014, 12:50 PM   #5
Piscator

Quote:

Bull $hit, my families health costs are through the roof...

"I know a taxidermy man back home. He gonna have a heart attack when he see what I brung him!"
Old 11-13-2014, 01:07 PM   #6
Fly Rod

Please Spence enough BULLCRAP....his statements were very true....he said it and ment it..."U R STUPID"...I did not say that about U so do not take it personally...

A friend of mine son got an increase of almost 400 bucks cost of increase to his OBAMACARE......also co pays have increased....if the federal judges decide aganist subsidies Obamacare should be sunk.If supreme court had any balls they would convene to throw the law out

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/4-a...hem/ar-BBdsA8r

"When its not about money,it's all about money."...
Old 11-13-2014, 04:12 PM   #7
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Quote:

Spence, facts and sources please. Most likely's don't count.

" Choose Life "
Old 11-14-2014, 08:02 AM   #8
rphud
GrandBob

The intelligentsia (intellectuals considered as a group or class, especially as a cultural, social, or political elite) finally get caught on tape speaking the "truth" on the current state of the electorate, and all we talk about is ACA?
Old 11-14-2014, 12:50 PM   #9
Jim in CT

Quote:

"the ACA...it's dramatically slowing the rise in costs"

When your love was selling the bill, not once did I ever hear him say that as a result of the ACA, "costs would go up, but at a slower pace than before". What I did hear, was that costs would dcerease. Something about the average family saving $2500 a year? Ring a bell?

Once again, like the stimulus keeping unemployment under 8%, it seems Obama is promising one thing, delivering something else. Some call that the old bait and switch. I'd love to see you explain why that's not the case here.
Old 11-14-2014, 12:55 PM   #10
Jim in CT

Spence is correct when he says that cost of healthcare is increasing at a slower pace than usual. I think it was increasing by about 8% per year, now it's increasing by something like 4% a year. Most of that comes from Medicare paying doctors less than they did before. I don't think that helps anyone who is not on Medicare. And I also think it's naive to assume that if you pay doctors less, you are getting the same level of service. Something has to give, and at some point, doctors will stop seeing Medicare patients.
Old 11-14-2014, 02:33 PM   #11
rphud
GrandBob

I would like to coin the phrase "back doored socialized medicine" and claim the rights to the website

backdooredsocializedmedicine.com
Old 11-15-2014, 01:42 PM   #12
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by justplugit View Post
Spence, facts and sources please. Most likely's don't count.
There's plenty of information out there.

http://www.politico.com/story/2014/1...2.html?hp=r2_3

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-0...estimates.html

http://www.politico.com/magazine/sto...l#.VGeeUmc9TDM

Considering the technical issues during the roll-out it's pretty impressive.
Old 11-15-2014, 01:45 PM   #13
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly Rod View Post
Please Spence enough BULLCRAP....his statements were very true....he said it and ment it..."U R STUPID"...I did not say that about U so do not take it personally...
All bills are written in a convoluted and tortured way. Fox tried to jump on this and claim his remarks prove the bill was intentionally deceiving...that's not the case.
Old 11-15-2014, 01:49 PM   #14
Slipknot
Super Moderator

"not the case"

WTF are you smoking? it certainly IS the case
and the rest of the media should have covered this and not been biased, shame on them. Fox news seems to be about the only news source with enough balls to cover this and tell the truth.

The United States Constitution does not exist to grant you rights; those rights are inherent within you. Rather it exists to frame a limited government so that those natural rights can be exercised freely.

1984 was a warning, not a guidebook!

It's time more people spoke up with the truth. Every time we let a leftist lie go uncorrected, the commies get stronger.
Old 11-15-2014, 02:35 PM   #15
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
"the ACA...it's dramatically slowing the rise in costs"

When your love was selling the bill, not once did I ever hear him say that as a result of the ACA, "costs would go up, but at a slower pace than before". What I did hear, was that costs would dcerease. Something about the average family saving $2500 a year? Ring a bell?

Once again, like the stimulus keeping unemployment under 8%, it seems Obama is promising one thing, delivering something else. Some call that the old bait and switch. I'd love to see you explain why that's not the case here.
We've discussed at length how the 8% was based on CBO data that was way off...

As for the $2500. I believe the objective for that target was to reduce health care spending by 1% of GDP which when averaged led to the $2500 per family. It wasn't intended to be a forecast of individual savings...but it came off that way.
Old 11-15-2014, 08:45 PM   #16
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Quote:
What happened to the facts and sources saying Gruber's statements weren't really true ?

" Choose Life "
Old 11-16-2014, 08:59 AM   #17
Fishpart
Keep The Change

Quote:
As for the $2500. I believe the objective for that target was to reduce health care spending by 1% of GDP which when averaged led to the $2500 per family. It wasn't intended to be a forecast of individual savings...but it came off that way.

Here is a video where someone said that it would reduce cost for a family of 4 by $2500 NINETEEN times, hardly a statement that was interpreted incorrectly..

How about Politifact.com http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-me...ance-premium-/

“It’s not up to the courts to invent new minorities that get special protections,” Antonin Scalia
Old 11-16-2014, 09:58 AM   #18
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by justplugit View Post
What happened to the facts and sources saying Gruber's statements weren't really true ?
I said the claims about his statements weren't true...

His remarks were just highlighting his frustration with how legislation is formed. The CBO sets standards that must be met and so law has to be twisted to fit the standards so it sounds good. Everybody does it and there's nothing unique in the ACA in this regard.

What he said that simply isn't true are the remarks that elements of the bill weren't discussed in a transparent manner, hell there was probably more open and bi-partisan debate on the ACA than any bill in history.

It's being "reported" that his remarks show the people were duped. If that's true than pretty much all laws could be shown to be manipulative.

Last edited by spence; 11-16-2014 at 10:52 AM..
Old 11-16-2014, 11:41 AM   #19
spence

Yep...designed in secret...

Quote:
Health Care Reform from Conception to Final Passage

Timeline of the Finance Committee’s Work to Reform America’s Health Care System

*Red dates indicate major milestones.
Feb. 13, 2007 Finance Committee Chairman Max Baucus (D-Mont.) outlines the principles for health care reform before the National Health Policy Conference.
(Read Baucus’s Statement)
May 6, 2008 Finance Committee Hearing: Seizing the New Opportunity for Health Reform.
(Watch the Hearing) (Read the News Release)
June 3, 2008 Finance Committee Hearing: Rising Costs, Low Quality in Health Care: The Necessity for Reform.
June 10, 2008 Finance Committee Hearing: 47 Million & Counting: Why the Health Care Marketplace is Broken.
(Watch the Hearing) (Read Baucus’s Statement)
June 16, 2008 Baucus hosts the “Prepare for Launch Health Reform Summit” in Washington, DC.
June 17, 2008 Finance Committee Hearing: Crisis in the Future: Long Run Deficits and Debt.
July 17, 2008 Finance Committee Hearing: The Right Care at the Right Time: Leveraging Innovation to Improve Health Care Quality for All Americans.
July 31, 2008 Finance Committee Hearing: Health Benefits in the Tax Code: The Right Incentives.
Sept. 9, 2008 Finance Committee Hearing: Improving Health Care Quality: An Integral Step toward Health Reform.
Sept. 16, 2008 Finance Committee Hearing: Aligning Incentives: The Case for Delivery System Reform.
Sept. 23, 2008 Finance Committee Hearing: Covering the Uninsured: Making Health Insurance Markets Work.
Sept. 29, 2008 Baucus assembles the first meeting of the Montana Healthcare Reform Advisory Council.
Oct. 14 – 28, 2008 Baucus holds eight listening session meetings with his constituents across Montana.
Oct. 21, 2008 Finance Committee Field Hearing at St. Patrick Hospital in Missoula, MT: High Health Care Costs: A State Perspective
(Watch the Hearing)
Nov. 12, 2008 Baucus publishes his “Call to Action” white paper, a blueprint for health care reform. The Washington Post called Baucus’s white paper, “striking in both its timing and scope…Rarely, if ever, has a lawmaker with his clout moved so early -- eight days after the election of a new president -- to press for such an enormous undertaking.”
(Read Chairman Baucus's Health Care Reform White Paper)
Nov. 19, 2008 Finance Committee Hearing: Health Care Reform: An Economic Perspective.
Feb. 25, 2009 Finance Committee Hearing: Scoring Health Care Reform: CBO’s Budget Options.
March 5, 2009 Baucus attends the White House Forum on Health Reform.
March 10, 2009 Finance Committee Hearing: The President’s Fiscal Year 2010 Health Care Proposals.
March 12, 2009 Finance Committee Hearing: Workforce Issues in Health Care Reform: Assessing the Present and Preparing for the Future.
April 20, 2009 Baucus and Senator Ted Kennedy (D-Mass.) send a letter to President Obama urging swift action on health care reform.
(Read the News Release and Letter)
April 21, 2009 Chairman Baucus and Ranking Member Chuck Grassley (R-Iowa) hold the first Finance Committee Roundtable: “Reforming America’s Health Care Delivery System.” This was the first in a series of three roundtables, which brought health policy and industry experts together to discuss the development of health care reform legislation.
(Watch the Roundtable) (Read the News Release)
April 28, 2009 Baucus and Grassley release detailed policy options for reforming America’s health care delivery system. This was the first of three sets of policy options released publicly for members of Congress and the American people to review. The New York Times reported, “In setting forth detailed ''policy options'' and inviting public comment, Mr. Baucus and Mr. Grassley set a precedent for openness.”
(Read the News Release) (Read the Policy Options)
April 29, 2009 Finance Committee Members discuss the policy options for reforming America’s health care delivery system.
(Read the Policy Options)
May 5, 2009 Baucus and Grassley hold the second Finance Committee Roundtable: “Expanding Health Care Coverage."
May 6, 2009 Baucus and Grassley meet with President Obama and Vice President Biden at the White House to discuss health care reform.
May 11, 2009 Baucus and Grassley publish their second set of detailed policy options, focused on expanding health care coverage.
May 12, 2009 Baucus and Grassley hold the third Finance Committee Roundtable: "Financing Comprehensive Health Care Reform."
May 14, 2009 Finance Committee Members discuss the policy options for expanding health care coverage.
May 18, 2009 Baucus and Grassley publish their third set of detailed policy options, focused on financing health care reform.
May 20, 2009 Finance Committee Members discuss the policy options for financing health care reform.
June 17, 2009 Three Democratic and three Republican Finance Committee Members hold the first of 31 bipartisan meetings to discuss the development of a health care reform bill. Over the course of the next three months, this group, Baucus, Grassley, Kent Conrad (D-N.D.), Olympia Snowe (R-Maine), Jeff Bingaman (D-N.M.), and Mike Enzi (R-Wyo.), met for more than 60 hours and the bipartisan principles they discussed became the foundation of the health care reform law.

June 18, 2009 Bipartisan meeting to discuss health care reform.
June 23, 2009 Bipartisan meeting to discuss health care reform.
June 24, 2009 Bipartisan meeting to discuss health care reform.
June 25, 2009 Bipartisan meeting to discuss health care reform.
July 7, 2009 Bipartisan meeting to discuss health care reform.
July 8, 2009 Bipartisan meeting to discuss health care reform.
July 9, 2009 Bipartisan meeting to discuss health care reform.
July 15, 2009 Bipartisan meeting to discuss health care reform.
July 16, 2009 Bipartisan meeting to discuss health care reform.
July 20, 2009 Bipartisan meeting to discuss health care reform.
July 21, 2009 Bipartisan meeting to discuss health care reform.
July 22, 2009 Bipartisan meeting to discuss health care reform.
July 23, 2009 Bipartisan meeting to discuss health care reform.
July 27, 2009 Bipartisan meeting to discuss health care reform.
July 28, 2009 Bipartisan meeting to discuss health care reform.
July 29, 2009 Bipartisan meeting to discuss health care reform.
July 30, 2009 Two bipartisan meetings to discuss health care reform.
Aug. 3, 2009 Bipartisan meeting to discuss health care reform.
Aug. 4, 2009 Bipartisan meeting to discuss health care reform.
Aug. 5, 2009 Bipartisan meeting to discuss health care reform.
Aug. 6, 2009 Bipartisan meeting to discuss health care reform.
Aug. 6, 2009 Bipartisan meeting to discuss health care reform.
Aug. 20, 2009 Bipartisan meeting to discuss health care reform.
Sept. 4, 2009 Bipartisan meeting to discuss health care reform.
Sept. 8, 2009 Bipartisan meeting to discuss health care reform.
Sept. 9, 2009 Bipartisan meeting to discuss health care reform.
Sept. 10, 2009 Bipartisan meeting to discuss health care reform.
Sept. 11, 2009 Bipartisan meeting to discuss health care reform.
Sept. 14, 2009 Bipartisan meeting to discuss health care reform.
Aug. 24, 2009 President Obama visits Belgrade, Montana with Baucus to discuss health care reform with Montanans.
Sept. 16, 2009 Baucus releases his Chairman’s Mark of the Finance Committee health care reform bill, The America’s Healthy Future Act, for the American people and members of Congress to review.
(Read the News Release) (Read the Chairman’s Mark)
Sept. 22, 2009 Baucus releases his Modified Chairman’s Mark of the America’s Healthy Future Act, which incorporates a number of amendments submitted by Finance Committee Members on both sides of the aisle.
(Read News Release) (Read Modified Chairman’s Mark)
Sept. 22-
Oct. 13, 2009 The Finance Committee holds a seven-day Markup to debate the America’s Healthy Future Act, the longest Finance Committee Markup in 22 years.
Oct. 13, 2009 The Finance Committee votes to approve the America’s Healthy Future Act with a bipartisan vote of 14 to 9.
(Read the News Release) (Read the America’s Healthy Future Act)
Nov. 19, 2009 Baucus, Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) and Senator Chris Dodd (D-Conn.) release the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act, which will eventually become the health care reform law. Baucus worked with his colleagues to merge the Finance Committee health care reform bill with the bill passed by the Health Education Labor and Pensions (HELP) Committee, and together the two committees brought one bill, the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act, to the Senate floor for debate.
Nov. 30-
Dec. 24, 2009 Baucus plays a critical role as a leader of debate on the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act on the Senate Floor.
(Read Baucus’s Floor Statements)
Dec. 24, 2009 The Senate passes the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act with a vote of 60 to 39.
(Read the News Release) (Read Baucus’s Statement)
(Read the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act)
Feb. 25, 2010 Baucus attends the bipartisan health care reform summit hosted by President Obama at the White House.
March 21, 2010 The House of Representatives passes the Senate-passed Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act along with the health care reform improvements bill.
(Read the News Release)
March 23, 2010 President Obama signs the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act and health care reform becomes law.
(Read the News Release) (Read the Health Care Reform Law)
(Learn More about Health Care Reform)
March 23 - 25, 2010 Baucus plays a critical role as a leader of debate of the health care reform improvements bill, the Health Care and Education Reconciliation Act of 2010, on the Senate Floor.
March 25, 2010 The Senate passes the health care reform improvements bill by a vote of 56 to 43.
(Read the News Release) (Read the Health Care Improvements Law)
March 30, 2010 President Obama signs the health care reform improvements bill into law.
Source: http://www.finance.senate.gov/issue/...f-f65215c1ba65
Old 11-16-2014, 05:44 PM   #20
scottw

Quote:
I said the claims about his statements weren't true...

His remarks were just highlighting his frustration with how legislation is formed. The CBO sets standards that must be met and so law has to be twisted to fit the standards so it sounds good. Everybody does it and there's nothing unique in the ACA in this regard.

What he said that simply isn't true are the remarks that elements of the bill weren't discussed in a transparent manner, hell there was probably more open and bi-partisan debate on the ACA than any bill in history.

It's being "reported" that his remarks show the people were duped. If that's true than pretty much all laws could be shown to be manipulative.
as is often the case, the only one making claims about his statements that aren't true seems to be you ...most seem content with his "actual" statement...you know....what he "actually" said....which was very clear and revealing and which I don't think you've referenced directly and perhaps not even read yet.......that you "believe" or have divined that he intended to suggest or mean something completely different than what he is actually on record and quoted as saying is not unusual or surprising

Last edited by scottw; 11-16-2014 at 06:01 PM..
Old 11-16-2014, 06:54 PM   #21
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
as is often the case, the only one making claims about his statements that aren't true seems to be you ...most seem content with his "actual" statement...you know....what he "actually" said....which was very clear and revealing and which I don't think you've referenced directly and perhaps not even read yet.......that you "believe" or have divined that he intended to suggest or mean something completely different than what he is actually on record and quoted as saying is not unusual or surprising
I've read all his statements.

Some in their attempt to manufacture scandal are missing the real point which could make the country better...such a shame.
Old 11-16-2014, 09:35 PM   #22
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Quote:

Some in their attempt to manufacture scandal are missing the real point which could make the country better...such a shame.

The thing that would make the country better would be complete transparency honesty
and true statesmen, not legacy mongers.

" Choose Life "
Old 11-17-2014, 06:24 AM   #23
scottw

Quote:

the "shame" lies with "some" who condone, defend and support lying, corruption and the torture of language and the perversion of our political and legislative process in their delusion that doing so will somehow "make the country better" ......

Last edited by scottw; 11-17-2014 at 06:33 AM..
Old 11-17-2014, 07:28 AM   #24
Raider Ronnie

Send a message via AIM to Raider Ronnie
Quote:

If you're so convinced Obama Care is so great why don't you put your $ where your mouth is and drop what you have now and sign up.
I'll be everything I own you won't, just like every other fraud who says it's great.
Old 11-17-2014, 09:25 AM   #25
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider Ronnie View Post
If you're so convinced Obama Care is so great why don't you put your $ where your mouth is and drop what you have now and sign up.
I'll be everything I own you won't, just like every other fraud who says it's great.
Yes, I should give up my work benefits and pay on my own. That makes a whole lot of sense.
Old 11-17-2014, 09:40 AM   #26
Raider Ronnie

Quote:
Yes, I should give up my work benefits and pay on my own. That makes a whole lot of sense.

Why not.
You think it's so great for everyone else.
Old 11-19-2014, 10:44 AM   #27
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Quote:
Yep...designed in secret...

Source: http://www.finance.senate.gov/issue/...f-f65215c1ba65

Obamacare poll drops to new low by the American people down to 37% approval.
Yes, it's doing exceedingly well.

What a waste of time and $$$ when it could have been spent on improving the economy.

" Choose Life "
Old 11-20-2014, 08:16 AM   #28
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Back to the OP topic - whats up with Gruber. Here is an explanation from the Vast Right Wind Media mogul: CNN

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 11-20-2014, 09:33 AM   #29
Slipknot
Super Moderator

http://dailycaller.com/2014/11/17/gr...h-issue-video/

he sounds like a pompous ass pot stirrer

The United States Constitution does not exist to grant you rights; those rights are inherent within you. Rather it exists to frame a limited government so that those natural rights can be exercised freely.

1984 was a warning, not a guidebook!

It's time more people spoke up with the truth. Every time we let a leftist lie go uncorrected, the commies get stronger.
Old 11-20-2014, 02:02 PM   #30
Raider Ronnie

Just think of how successful it's going to look with 5 million new enrolled in a few weeks.
On the down side, all these soon to be legals won't be paying the premiums. We will be paying for them....