Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » The Scuppers

The Scuppers This is a new forum for the not necessarily fishing related topics...

Old 08-30-2006, 10:39 AM   #1
Surfcastinglife

gas prices

everyone noticing the downward trend? filled the tank today at 2.64, lowest i can remember in a long time
Surfcastinglife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 10:48 AM   #2
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

never thought I would ever be happy to be paying 2.70 for a gallon of gas

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
The Dad Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 11:14 AM   #3
Striperknight
Plug Paladin

I thought everything was more expensive on the Cape?
Striperknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 11:20 AM   #4
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl F
Nothing against you Dad.. But.. That is the problem.. why should we be happy paying that?... we are all getting screwed over.. and after a few months of peak, they drop it 10 %, and we are happy?? Think about it.
I agree with you 100%.....they make it seem like they are doing us a favor. My reply was more sarcasm than anything else.

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
The Dad Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 11:25 AM   #5
Flaptail

Thumbs down

It's called socio-economic condtioning. Cars, houses, food, gas clothes. Too bad the cost of living raises don't ever come close or move ahead of the trend.

Lert's face it, we are Lemmings.

Why even try.........
Flaptail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 11:25 AM   #6
fishsmith
DDG-51

$2.65 in Whitman yesterday. I don't know why but this town consistantly has the lowest of the outrageously high prices.
fishsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 11:26 AM   #7
Skip N

What ever happened to all the so called experts predictions of $6 a gallon gas? Sounds like that was just a BS scare tactic to get people fired up. I'm hearing it could be down around $2 a gallon by Thanksgiving.
Skip N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 11:30 AM   #8
MrHunters
What was that!?!

we are brainwashed to think that 2.70 is a "good deal"

a admit when i see that right now it does "feel" like a good deal, but i have to tell myself that its not.... not even close to one.
MrHunters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 11:33 AM   #9
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip N
What ever happened to all the so called experts predictions of $6 a gallon gas? Sounds like that was just a BS scare tactic to get people fired up. I'm hearing it could be down around $2 a gallon by Thanksgiving.
Yea, Skippy...it's all just a bad dream

The 6 dollar predictions I've heard were based on geopolitical instability...not a natural trend anytime soon.

-spence
spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 11:35 AM   #10
Skip N

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHunters
we are brainwashed to think that 2.70 is a "good deal"

a admit when i see that right now it does "feel" like a good deal, but i have to tell myself that its not.... not even close to one.
Go live in Europe were they pay over $5 gallon! Now that blows! $3 a gallon sucks big time, but even if gas was $1.50, people would still bitch that its not $1.30
Old 08-30-2006, 11:37 AM   #11
Skip N

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence
Yea, Skippy...it's all just a bad dream

The 6 dollar predictions I've heard were based on geopolitical instability...not a natural trend anytime soon.

-spence
I dunno Spence, the middle east has been pretty tense lately with the Israel/Hezbolah conflict, the pipeline in Alaska shut down, shouldn't it be going higher and not lower right now??
Old 08-30-2006, 11:37 AM   #12
spence

Quote:
Go live in Europe were they pay over $5 gallon!
They pay so much because it's taxed very heavy.

Considering how much of our defence budget has gone to protecting shipping lanes etc... and to ensure below market oil prices. We've really been paying more all along...

-spence
spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 11:38 AM   #13
fishaholic18
Finally

I'll be happy when it's .99 a gallon again...Yeah right.

F-18®
It IsWhat It Is

¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º >¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((( º>
fishaholic18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 11:42 AM   #14
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

You arent "conditioned" to believe anything. So we're all paying an extra $10,$20, $30 a week. It hurts, but guess what? Major corporations are paying $10,$20, $30 million a week due to gas prices. WHat are they doing about it? nothing.There is no us and them, no conspiracy. The market drives prices. Basic economics.

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
RIJIMMY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 11:42 AM   #15
Skitterpop

free gas free willy free whatever it is we need

Good health and family
Skitterpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 11:44 AM   #16
MrHunters
What was that!?!

Quote:
Go live in Europe were they pay over $5 gallon! Now that blows! $3 a gallon sucks big time, but even if gas was $1.50, people would still bitch that its not $1.30

i would be very happy at a 1.50 no complaints here
MrHunters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 11:44 AM   #17
lurch
You rang?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaptail
It's called socio-economic condtioning. Cars, houses, food, gas clothes. Too bad the cost of living raises don't ever come close or move ahead of the trend.

Lert's face it, we are Lemmings.
Yep...my raises over the past two years = 180$ increase but the problem is that the cost of health cars has gone up more than that. So my net pay is actually lower than when I started.....time for a new job.

Anyone looking for a network engineer who has Cisco, Nortel and Juniper experience?
lurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 11:46 AM   #18
Mike P
Jiggin' Leper Lawyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striperknight
I thought everything was more expensive on the Cape?
Doesn't cost JP Noonan much more to truck it to Sagamore or Sandwich than it does to Buzzards Bay. But, it's 20+ cents a gallon more.

Last night--Valero in BBay, $2.71, the Mobil at the 6A/Sandwich Rd fork, $2.95. Same price at the Citgo next to Pierpoint Glass, almost right under the bridge.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools, because they have to say something.
Mike P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 02:15 PM   #19
stripersnipr

We have implemented a 3% fuel surcharge which has offset the increased costs but by no means has the entire increase "been passed on". Reforecasted budgets with decreased earning projections is the reality. Decreased earnings equals decreased headcount, decreased headcount equals higher unemployment, higher unemployment equals higher taxes, higher taxes equals reduced standard of living etc. etc. The outlook is not pretty.
stripersnipr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 02:44 PM   #20
Slipknot
Super Moderator

Quote:

two of our wholesalers were even charging "fuel fees" all summer, buried on the bottom of the invoices.. electricity, right in the bill, if you bother to read it, shows the fuel cost and "delivery" fee, every month.

all summer huh?
I've been charged a fuel surcharge for over 5 years now for plywood deliveries ever since the gas prices got rediculous. It started out as a buck or 2, now it is $10.00 and their trucks are deisel, 20 deliveries per truck per day and they are cleaning up on fuel costs I'd say

it gets harder and harder to compete for jobs from the big boys who can easily absorb extra costs, so it basically comes right out of my pocket and I end up with lower wage because of it just like what happened to lurch.

The United States Constitution does not exist to grant you rights; those rights are inherent within you. Rather it exists to frame a limited government so that those natural rights can be exercised freely.

1984 was a warning, not a guidebook!

It's time more people spoke up with the truth. Every time we let a leftist lie go uncorrected, the commies get stronger.
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 02:46 PM   #21
Slipknot
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stripersnipr
We have implemented a 3% fuel surcharge which has offset the increased costs but by no means has the entire increase "been passed on". Reforecasted budgets with decreased earning projections is the reality. Decreased earnings equals decreased headcount, decreased headcount equals higher unemployment, higher unemployment equals higher taxes, higher taxes equals reduced standard of living etc. etc. The outlook is not pretty.
well you're just a barrel of optimisim are'nt ya

another words another recession is on it's way

The United States Constitution does not exist to grant you rights; those rights are inherent within you. Rather it exists to frame a limited government so that those natural rights can be exercised freely.

It's time more people spoke up with the truth. Every time we let a leftist lie go uncorrected, the commies get stronger.
Old 08-30-2006, 02:53 PM   #22
Fishpart
Keep The Change

Quote:
People also fail to realize that the Europeans SUBSIDIZE their public transportation with fuel taxes...

Ever try to use public transportaion in this country to get anywhere other than the center of a major city. How about walking to the grocery store like the Europeans do?? When you compare us to Europe you are comparing apples to steak sandwiches in terms of transportation infrastructure...

“It’s not up to the courts to invent new minorities that get special protections,” Antonin Scalia
Fishpart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 02:56 PM   #23
MAC

There is a headline on AOL by an analyst who believes gas will be down to 2 bux by years end.....
MAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 02:57 PM   #24
Skitterpop

Karl F

you have been just charged a fee to cover the cost of delivering your post.

Our lives have truly become absurd.... its nothing more than slavery with a pretense of freedom with a large injection of blind patriotism. I love this country and life but we are being screwed every which way. It saddens the journey.

Good health and family
Skitterpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 02:58 PM   #25
MAC

http://articles.news.aol.com/busines...00010000000001
MAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 03:08 PM   #26
Slipknot
Super Moderator

I'd be happier if they would take that alcohol out of the gas

Old 08-30-2006, 03:09 PM   #27
stripersnipr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skitterpop
Karl F

you have been just charged a fee to cover the cost of delivering your post.

Our lives have truly become absurd.... its nothing more than slavery with a pretense of freedom with a large injection of blind patriotism. I love this country and life but we are being screwed every which way. It saddens the journey.
Not all Patriotism is blind. Having been lucky enough to travel the world more than most others I can truly say I have come to realize and appreciate how much better off we are than just about anywhere I've been. And there is no doubt we have far more freedom than most of the world. It's easy to bitch about how bad America is (not that you are) when you have little to compare it to.
stripersnipr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 03:14 PM   #28
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skitterpop
Karl F

really? There is more opportunity than ever. This talk of being screwed is hilarius.....who is buying all these 50 inch flat screen TVS, DVDs, Digital Cams, VAn Stall reel etc......you are! No one is making you, the "man" doesnt exist.
Screw patriotism or the govt,. we are in a capitialist society, money talks. If you find a better way, it will make money. What changed in this country is there is too much whining, to much talk about being victims. This country was bullt on blood and sweat. Want lower gas prices, get off gas! This is AMerica, we have the brains and technology. No why were not???? THERE IS NO MONEY IN IT!!!!!!! Once it becomes profitable for hybrids or alternative fuel cars, they will be produced.

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
RIJIMMY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 03:16 PM   #29
vineyardblues

Today I red the same thing as MAC did...now the piss -me-off thing.
I locked into my heating for the winter, and they had a little add on
"if the price drop's off I will will still pay my lock -in price or pay $185. for a buy a special contract to lower the price ....like WTF is this all about!
u tell me
VB
vineyardblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 03:27 PM   #30
Mike P
Jiggin' Leper Lawyer

Quote:
Mike.. ya wanna know something that drives me crazy.. the two major beer wholesalers, charge a dime a cas, to truck it over the bridge....
Yah, I know, that toll is a killer

Could be worse--they could truck it thru the tunnel

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools, because they have to say something.
Mike P is offline   Reply With Quote