Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 09-30-2018, 01:13 PM   #181
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Call BS, have you not watched the local news, at that age he could very well have been prosecuted as an adult.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 09-30-2018, 02:07 PM   #182
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Stripers View Post
Call BS, have you not watched the local news, at that age he could very well have been prosecuted as an adult.
As to your response to ONE of my points, it depends on the alleged crime. Third degree sexual assault in Maryland can refer a minor to adult court. Ms. Ford's description doesn't seem to fully meet the definition of third degree of assault. Also taken into consideration is the defendant's past behavior. Is it a first offense. And is there sufficient evidence that the crime occurred and that the defendant did it.

The overall situation that Ms. Ford describes would be a very weak one in order to refer the case to adult court.
Old 09-30-2018, 02:37 PM   #183
PaulS

At this point Cavanaugh has bigger problems. It's it's proved he's lied to the committee, that disqualifies him
Old 09-30-2018, 04:10 PM   #184
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Quote:
Originally Posted by detbuch View Post
As to your response to ONE of my points, it depends on the alleged crime. Third degree sexual assault in Maryland can refer a minor to adult court. Ms. Ford's description doesn't seem to fully meet the definition of third degree of assault. Also taken into consideration is the defendant's past behavior. Is it a first offense. And is there sufficient evidence that the crime occurred and that the defendant did it.

The overall situation that Ms. Ford describes would be a very weak one in order to refer the case to adult court.
I think your wrong in that this possibly is a second degree sex offense and could have bumped him up to be tried as an adult, but it's a moot point at this point legally. My point was surprise that your ok with a guy being guilty at 17 of committing a second or even third degree sex offense getting nominated and voted to the supreme court. I guess your moral standards are different than mine, once a scum bag capable of that, down deep your always capable; given the right amount of skiis.
Old 09-30-2018, 04:40 PM   #185
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post

It's it's proved he's lied to the committee, that disqualifies him

thanks Captain Obvious
Old 09-30-2018, 04:49 PM   #186
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Even if you take the sexual assault out of the equation, does he seem to have the temperament and cool to handle some of the most challenging decisions to come; not to mention the blatantly partisan views he ranted about. Sure everyone on this board and the general public are entitled to those partisan views, but the high court is not supposed to have those partisan views.
Old 09-30-2018, 04:57 PM   #187
detbuch

Quote:
I think your wrong in that this possibly is a second degree sex offense and could have bumped him up to be tried as an adult, but it's a moot point at this point legally. My point was surprise that your ok with a guy being guilty at 17 of committing a second or even third degree sex offense getting nominated and voted to the supreme court.

What Ms. Ford alleges is not specifically a sex act. And as I mentioned there are other mitigating circumstances including first offense, under the influence of alcohol (both parties) and other circumstances which would have required a particularly vindictive judge or prosecutor to bump it to adult court considering the consequences to the future of a minor with no criminal record being convicted in adult court.

Plus, what Ms. Ford provides in detail would not have been enough to press charges.

I guess your moral standards are different than mine, once a scum bag capable of that, down deep your always capable; given the right amount of skiis.

My moral and legal standards don't allow me to call someone a scum bag on hearsay. Nor do I believe that someone having done what he is accused of will always after do or want to repeat such a thing. And when he has 36 years of proper life and superior achievement following what he was supposed to have done, I cannot get myself to call him a scumbag, not morally, legally, or any other way.

And I certainly can't hold Kavanaugh to a higher standard than those politicians who have done worse than he is accused of, even as adults, and while in office, and were still considered not only fit, but highly competent, successful, and admired for their work.

And I don't know what skeletons all the other Justices of the Supreme Court have in their closets. I doubt if they, or if even any, were saints. If the FBI were to fully investigate their intimate pasts, I suspect some bad stuff would be found. But once appointed, and in practice, none seem to be called unfit. Wrong, maybe, but not unfit.

I don't know if my moral standards are different than yours. It may just take more to trigger them.
Old 09-30-2018, 04:59 PM   #188
scottw

Quote:

does he seem to have the temperament and cool to handle some of the most challenging decisions to come

this is stupid...stop repeating talking points...this is the left repeatedly kicking someone in the balls and mocking them for crying
Old 09-30-2018, 05:05 PM   #189
PaulS

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
thanks Captain Obvious
Stop trying so hard to be a #^&#^&#^&#^&. I'm not fishing with you anymore
Old 09-30-2018, 05:19 PM   #190
detbuch

Quote:
Even if you take the sexual assault out of the equation, does he seem to have the temperament and cool to handle some of the most challenging decisions to come;

Apparently, his years of service on the Court shows that he does have the judicial temperament.

not to mention the blatantly partisan views he ranted about. Sure everyone on this board and the general public are entitled to those partisan views, but the high court is not supposed to have those partisan views.
It is ridiculous to say or think that SCOTUS Justices are not entitled to have partisan views. I don't doubt at all that they all do. It's that they must not insert those views in their judicial thinking or decisions.

It is curious to me that you think they shouldn't have partisan views. If you believe that it is proper to interpret the Constitution by personal views of justice instead of always by the meaning of the text, wouldn't those personal views of justice influence which party they supported and voted for. And, therefor, wouldn't their partisan views help define their view of justice.

Indeed, non-textualist Progressive Justices often do adjudicate by philosophical notions that match Progressive party ideology rather than on the original meaning of the text.
Old 09-30-2018, 05:21 PM   #191
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Quote:
this is stupid...stop repeating talking points...this is the left repeatedly kicking someone in the balls and mocking them for crying
I have no problem with him crying or showing real emotion, clearly that would be normal under the circumstances. I have issues with the opening rant, which may have been more for Trump or his GOP supporters benefit, but was IMHO blatantly partisan and the suggested conspiracy is nuts.

Ford wanted no publicity, in fact the letter was penned when K was only on the short list and not even nominated. Did someone leak it for political reasons, obviously and that I’m sure is a shock to you as it’s so unlike the norm in DC.

That doesn’t diminish the credibility of the original accusations or the reasonable request for an FBI investigation in light of them, no big Clinton deep state conspiracy here🤣
Old 09-30-2018, 07:17 PM   #192
Ian
Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
Ian "I’d have probably done the same thing if I were in his shoes.."

you left that out
Just so we’re clear here... that was referring to emotionally replying, not orchestrating rape trains

The artist formerly known as Scratch59.
Old 09-30-2018, 07:20 PM   #193
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
Just so we’re clear here... that was referring to emotionally replying, not orchestrating rape trains
heheheh....good idea to be VERY clear these days with everyone on edge
Old 09-30-2018, 07:22 PM   #194
Ian
Idiot

Quote:
I know right?...why would a Federal Judge with a spotless record(or anyone for that matter) with a Mom, wife and two young daughters get emotional the day after being publicly accused, during what should be one of the proudest moments of their lives, of having orchestrated "rape trains" ?
Being mad is one thing, blaming it on a political hit job which was a favor to the clintons and then lying about other parts of your life is entirely another.

Like I said, I don’t think I can blame him, but the fact that he did what he did certainly hurt his chances of being confirmed.

My bet is that they find out he blacked out over and over and he doesn’t make it through confirmation on the basis of the fact that he lied.

Old 09-30-2018, 07:23 PM   #195
scottw

Quote:

but was IMHO blatantly partisan and the suggested conspiracy is nuts.

[/i][/size]
it's been elected democrats MET AND ORGANIZED, the leftist nuts in costumes and tee shirts, left wing organizations and lawyers and leftist media that have assaulted him since he was nominated....that's why it would be absolutely partisan,,,,good grief there was absolutely a "conspiracy" to thwart his nomination...they didn't hide it at all
Old 09-30-2018, 07:26 PM   #196
scottw

Quote:

lying about other parts of your life is entirely another.

My bet is that they find out he blacked out over and over and he doesn’t make it through confirmation on the basis of the fact that he lied.

what did he lie about?...should be pretty easy to demonstrate and send him packing
Old 09-30-2018, 07:33 PM   #197
scottw

Quote:

blaming it on a political hit job which was a favor to the clintons
Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand (D-N.Y.) is calling for Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh's nomination to be withdrawn following two sexual misconduct allegations against him.

Gillibrand on Sunday tweeted her support for Deborah Ramirez, the woman who hours earlier went public in The New Yorker with her accusations against Kavanaugh. Ramirez is alleging that Kavanaugh exposed himself without her consent when the two attended Yale University together in the 1980s.

"Enough is enough," she continued. "One credible sexual assault claim should have been too many "

"Two is an embarrassment," she added.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hqdefault.jpg
Views:	318
Size:	10.5 KB
ID:	65623   Click image for larger version

Name:	harvey_gillibrand.jpg
Views:	330
Size:	106.4 KB
ID:	65624  
Old 09-30-2018, 07:37 PM   #198
spence

Quote:
Doesn’t seem like it takes much effort.
Old 09-30-2018, 07:40 PM   #199
spence

Quote:
what did he lie about?...should be pretty easy to demonstrate and send him packing
He seems to have lied about his role in Bush’s admin and about stolen dem documents for a start. Also seems pretty clear he’s misled n his youth not even counting the assault allegations.

But even putting all that aside. His partisan statement on the left, democrats and the Clintons destroys any inkling he could be impartial on the bench.
Old 09-30-2018, 07:53 PM   #200
Raider Ronnie

Send a message via AIM to Raider Ronnie
I don’t know whose house it happened at or even what year it happened. I don’t know if I got there before everyone else or after. I don’t know how I got there or how I got home over 8 miles away (at the age of 15).

My life time friend doesn’t remember any of this ( and the other 3 people I said were there testified under oath they don’t know anything about this).

I have a fear of flying , but have no problem jet-setting all over the world while on vacation. I’ve been on airplanes more in the past two months than most people in a year, but my fear is completely legit.

I don’t know who paid for my hotel and polygraph test( the afternoon of my grandmothers funeral, or maybe it was the next day, who knows). And guess what? I flew there. Oh and that polygraph, it was only two questions, neither of which were about Kavanaugh. But hey, I passed so that’s all that matters. And my PhD in psychology definitely, in no way, helped me with it or my testimony today.

My friends on the beach encouraged me to continue contacting the media with my story (because we were running out of time). I can’t name them, so we’ll just call them beach friends. Yet while giving such great advice, none were willing to be character witnesses. Meanwhile, Judge Kavanaugh had hundreds of character witnesses step up in a matter of days.

My lawyers, out of the kindness of their hearts, are helping me for FREE yet I have a “needed” gofundme page that currently is sitting at $473,622. I’m so desperately in need of help there’s even a second gofundme with $209,987. I promise though I’m not getting anything out of my testimony, that money is just going to cover my expenses.

I’m super smart. I have a PhD and I teach graduate students. I know lots of big words, but it should be totally believable that I don’t understand basic questions.

I was the only person in the United States that didn’t know Congress agreed to come to me instead of me going to DC. They really do care about my flying phobia after all.
Old 09-30-2018, 08:03 PM   #201
Ian
Idiot

Quote:
There is zero chance he has never drank so much in a night that he doesn’t remember part of the evening. Zero.

He could have easily just been honest about the level of partying he had done in high school/college and still made it in with the amount of partisan support he had.

Old 09-30-2018, 08:26 PM   #202
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
He seems to have lied about his role in Bush’s admin and about stolen dem documents for a start. He seems to have he’s misled n his youth not even counting the assault allegations.

But even putting all that aside. His partisan statement on the left, democrats and the Clintons destroys any inkling he could be impartial on the bench.
"

"Doesn’t seem like..He seems to have...He seems to have"

yawn
Old 09-30-2018, 08:27 PM   #203
scottw

Quote:
your spelling is improving....that's something...and don't worry..I'll buy the beer I thought we were "beachfriends"?
Old 09-30-2018, 08:28 PM   #204
scottw

Quote:

There is zero chance he has never drank so much in a night that he doesn’t remember part of the evening. Zero.

is that an opinion?
Old 09-30-2018, 08:46 PM   #205
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider Ronnie View Post
I don’t know whose house it happened at or even what year it happened. I don’t know if I got there before everyone else or after. I don’t know how I got there or how I got home over 8 miles away (at the age of 15).

My life time friend doesn’t remember any of this ( and the other 3 people I said were there testified under oath they don’t know anything about this).

I have a fear of flying , but have no problem jet-setting all over the world while on vacation. I’ve been on airplanes more in the past two months than most people in a year, but my fear is completely legit.

I don’t know who paid for my hotel and polygraph test( the afternoon of my grandmothers funeral, or maybe it was the next day, who knows). And guess what? I flew there. Oh and that polygraph, it was only two questions, neither of which were about Kavanaugh. But hey, I passed so that’s all that matters. And my PhD in psychology definitely, in no way, helped me with it or my testimony today.

My friends on the beach encouraged me to continue contacting the media with my story (because we were running out of time). I can’t name them, so we’ll just call them beach friends. Yet while giving such great advice, none were willing to be character witnesses. Meanwhile, Judge Kavanaugh had hundreds of character witnesses step up in a matter of days.

My lawyers, out of the kindness of their hearts, are helping me for FREE yet I have a “needed” gofundme page that currently is sitting at $473,622. I’m so desperately in need of help there’s even a second gofundme with $209,987. I promise though I’m not getting anything out of my testimony, that money is just going to cover my expenses.

I’m super smart. I have a PhD and I teach graduate students. I know lots of big words, but it should be totally believable that I don’t understand basic questions.

I was the only person in the United States that didn’t know Congress agreed to come to me instead of me going to DC. They really do care about my flying phobia after all.
And yet her testimony is considered "credible."
Old 09-30-2018, 09:27 PM   #206
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by detbuch View Post
And yet her testimony is considered "credible."
I was impressed that every democrat, never having met Dr Ford nor hearing her speak before the hearing was able to say "I believe you" and heap all sorts of praise and adulation on her essentially proclaiming her and installing her as a national hero....
Old 10-01-2018, 05:21 AM   #207
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
I thought we were "beachfriends"?

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 10-01-2018, 07:10 AM   #208
Ian
Idiot

Quote:
is that an opinion?
An increasingly well informed one. We’ll see how factual it is come Friday.

Old 10-01-2018, 07:51 AM   #209
spence

Quote:
An increasingly well informed one. We’ll see how factual it is come Friday.
Good luck, seems like the admin isn’t going to let the FBI do their job.
Old 10-01-2018, 07:57 AM   #210
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
Good luck, seems like the admin isn’t going to let the FBI do their job.
quit whining