Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 10-05-2018, 09:47 AM   #1
Pete F.
Canceled

Term limits

While some people are excited today, in the future they may find the tables turned.
I saw an interesting solution that may have some merit.
18 year term limits for Supreme Court justices
Terms would expire every 2 years
Each president would get 2 or 4 if they were re-elected
From TheHill.com: Term limits for justices are the best way to fix this Supreme Court mess https://thehill.com/opinion/judiciar...eme-court-mess

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 10-05-2018, 09:54 AM   #2
Raider Ronnie

Send a message via AIM to Raider Ronnie
Right after they implement senate & congress term limits !
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 10-05-2018, 09:56 AM   #3
spence

I like the idea of an expanded supreme court and randomly selecting 9 justices to hear individual cases.
Old 10-05-2018, 10:01 AM   #4
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider Ronnie View Post
Right after they implement senate & congress term limits !
I agree but I don’t know what it would take to make it happen.

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Lets Go Darwin
Old 10-05-2018, 10:40 AM   #5
scottw

too funny....
Old 10-05-2018, 11:12 AM   #6
Sea Dangles

When the rules don’t work for the left they want them to be changed.
Old 10-05-2018, 12:07 PM   #7
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dangles View Post
I didn't say it was new, it would take some of the political pressure off and make it so you can choose 60 year old citizens
Kennedy selected 2
Johnson 2
Nixon 4
Ford 1
Reagan 4
Bush 2
Clinton 2
Bush 2
Obama 2
Trump 2

Take it when you can get it, don't just blat

Conservatives have argued in favor of Supreme Court term limits for years, regardless of which party was in power.

In 2006, when Republicans had control of both the White House and Congress, legal scholars Steven Calabresi and James Lindgren released an influential paper entitled "Term Limits for the Supreme Court: Life Tenure Reconsidered."

Calabresi is a conservative's conservative. He served in the Reagan and Bush administrations and co-founded the Federalist Society, the conservative legal group that's helped guide Trump's judicial appointments.

In their paper, Calabresi and Lindgren report that, from 1789 to 1970, Supreme Court justices served an average of about 15 years and there was a vacancy every two years or so. "For those Justices who have retired since 1970, the average tenure has jumped to 26.1 years," they said. "Because of the long tenure of recent members of the Court, there were no vacancies on the high Court from 1994 to the middle of 2005."

Their suggested solution? Term limits. "A system of staggered, eighteen-year term limits for Supreme Court Justices…whose terms would be staggered such that a vacancy would occur on the Court every two years."

This approach has long had fans on the Right. Texas Gov. Rick Perry made it part of his 2012 presidential race platform. Scholars at the conservative American Enterprise Institute like the idea, and conservative media figures like Mike Huckabee and Mark Levin back term limits, too.

However, while the Right and the Left may be on the same page regarding term limits for SCOTUS judges, their motives are miles apart. The argument from the Right has been that the court has too much power and too frequently operates as an unelected legislature. As a result, every appointment is a political fight to the death, focused almost entirely on the ideological impacts of the future, rather than the resume and legal reasoning of the nominee today. Knowing that there will be a new vacancy on the court every two years will reduce the political rancor and, conservatives hope, pare back the politics that have infected the one branch of government that is supposed to be beyond partisanship.

Ending life tenure for SCOTUS justices would also promote the "consent of the governed" many conservatives have advanced, as opposed to the "angels to govern us" approach rejected by Thomas Jefferson as a form of judicial tyranny. Some conservatives like Sen. Ted Cruz have even proposed "judicial retention elections" that would allow a popular vote on the performance of each Supreme Court justice.

Lets Go Darwin
Old 10-05-2018, 06:55 PM   #8
Slipknot
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dangles View Post
Reminds me of the Colts

I agree with Ronnie
Congress term limits first

The United States Constitution does not exist to grant you rights; those rights are inherent within you. Rather it exists to frame a limited government so that those natural rights can be exercised freely.

1984 was a warning, not a guidebook!

It's time more people spoke up with the truth. Every time we let a leftist lie go uncorrected, the commies get stronger.