Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Rod Building

Rod Building So, you've landed a nice fish on a plug you made, eh? Now, the next step, building your own RODS!

Old 02-29-2008, 03:54 PM   #1
Sweetwater
Ruled only by the tide

Spinning rod for tuna

I'm considering building a spinning rod for small-medium tuna and was wondering if anyone had any experience with the Lamiglas Tri-Flex rods. I'm considering a 7'8" blank, medium/heavy action rated for 1-4 oz. The model number is LGC-TXC92 MH...but I think either it is discontinued or possibly a mudhole.com number as I can not find this blank on the Lami website.

In any case, I'd appreciate any opinions on this blank for this application.

Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn.
Sweetwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 07:33 AM   #2
taJon

personally, I think that would be too long, unless you are planning on shortening it. 7' is what I like on boats and wouldn't really want to be any longer. I'm sure that you would find something at mudhole, they are great guys there.

boatless................can I have a ride?
taJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 09:10 PM   #3
junkmansj

Check out Batson Rainshadow RCLB 70 MH Very nice Composite Blank
Feels like it will work well for Sm-Med Tuna
junkmansj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 10:07 PM   #4
Sweetwater
Ruled only by the tide

Thanks for the info. I also just looked at an American Tackle blank that may to do the trick as well.

Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn.
Old 03-03-2008, 07:43 AM   #5
GunnySniper
Master of Ceremonies

I would also look into Cal-Star blanks. They make waht they call the long range series specifically for tuna spinning. Lengths from 6' up to 8'.
I've built quite a few rods, especially slow trolling boat rods, with their blanks, and have been VERY impressed with the actions they have.
I build Tube N' worm rods that I call "Automatics". With the drag set at 12lbs, the action of the tip recoils at the release of the drag to actually set the hook on the fish. I have not missed hooking a fish.

"Cause you can't starve us out, and you can't make us run" Hank Jr.
GunnySniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 12:28 AM   #6
RODMAN

If your going to use a composite, the triflex line is the way to go. The tip is a little wimpy for tuna on the TXC92. The TXC961m cut down to a 9.5 or 10 tip would probably do better. Batson SWB76MH could be built on as is for less$$.
RODMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 10:42 PM   #7
Sweetwater
Ruled only by the tide

Quote:
Originally Posted by RODMAN View Post
If your going to use a composite, the triflex line is the way to go. The tip is a little wimpy for tuna on the TXC92. The TXC961m cut down to a 9.5 or 10 tip would probably do better. Batson SWB76MH could be built on as is for less$$.
Okay, the blank I'm looking at is an 8 tip. I wonder what the length would be if I cut it to 9 or 9.5 (it's 7'8" stock). But I really want to be able to toss a light lure, sometimes the tuna are finicky and only will eat something small.

Old 03-08-2008, 10:20 PM   #8
RODMAN

Look at the txc961m. It's an 8' blank with the same specs. After you trim it back to 9.5 or 10, It will most likely be close to the 7' 8" your looking for.
RODMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 02:14 PM   #9
ahistick

The Batson RCLB series have been compared to Calstar Grafighters at a fraction of the price.
ahistick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 06:31 PM   #10
Armbreaker

Looks like noboby has heard of the new Super Seeker Blanks!!
There isnt nothing like them on the market today guys,and I believe they are the most powerful blanks avail.
Combination of Super S glass,120 graphite...Find that combination somewhere!Thats pretty much all I build on anymore.
Read more about them at seekerrods.com
Good luck to you all!