Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 05-14-2012, 06:54 PM   #31
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
States have to get it from somewhere or not offer the services.

Texas doesn't have a state income tax, but they make it up with "fees" that cover just about everything. Some may argue these are a use tax and more fair...I'd wager the result really depends on how the money is spent.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
"Texas doesn't have a state income tax, but they make it up with "fees" that cover just about everything"

Really. Not according to this ranking of cost of living by state...

Cost of Living by State

Spence, please tell me about these "fees" in Texas, that are the equivalent to an income tax like we have in CT (about 6%).

"States have to get it from somewhere or not offer the services."

Correct. Some states, like CT, offer ridiculous services. As a result, CT attracts people who want welfare instead of wanting a job. At the same time, CT drives out people who want to work. Spence, those low-tax states do offer fewer services, but the services they cut are not missed by many folks. To top it all off, TX has major issues with Mexican immigrants, folks who gobble up services but pay little taxes. Somehow, with such low taxes, TX makes it work. That's why their population is growing.
Old 05-14-2012, 07:21 PM   #32
likwid
lobster = striper bait

Send a message via AIM to likwid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
That's why I put a question mark there.

Yax burden by state in this link. TX is 45th (1st is highest, 50 is lowest).

The Tax Foundation - State and Local Tax Burdens: All States, One Year, 1977 - 2009

So yes, they know what "tax" means. Not the way we in New england know what it means...and I don't know what we get for all that extra $$. Beats me.
Just move to Texas with RIJIMMY already.

We get less Mexicans in MA for all that extra money.

Ski Quicks Hole
Old 05-15-2012, 01:00 PM   #33
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by likwid View Post
6.25% sales tax along with cities/counties/towns can impose up to an additional 2%.

I guess they know what "tax" means.

yes high property taxes, but guess what? that $$$$ goes to my kids school and to my town. It creates a lot of local pride. Im willing to pay when I reap the benefits.
The sales tax is only a few % more than here and will take a LONG time before it adds up to what I pay in MA income tax.
But that is not the point of this thread, the point is that states lose sight of what drives the economy. People dropping $$ at Georges or for ice cream or at CharlieO's benefits the people of RI, not the revenue generated from beach fees. Its bad business.
Its also bad for citizens. I think children who grow up on the beaches are a - active and b-appreciate the beauty and wildlife.

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
Old 05-15-2012, 03:12 PM   #34
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Looking at the cast of characters arguing and where this is heading...I'm casting it into the Pit of Despair.

Fish are in and Striper Talk is supposed to be a happy place.

if you want to P&M...take it to the Political forum or the GOP...thats what they are for

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 05-15-2012, 10:59 PM   #35
Joe

A lot of people from Providence, Central Falls and Pawtucket take the bus to Scarborough. Some of the exotic types wear their string bikinis on the bus.
If that wasn't cool enough, when they get up, they leave a basketball hoop-sized residue of perspiration on the vinyl seats.
But you got to move fast before someone beats you to it.

Old 05-16-2012, 05:25 AM   #36
likwid
lobster = striper bait

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIJIMMY View Post
I think children who grow up on the beaches are a - active and b-appreciate the beauty and wildlife.
With what you prefaced it with, that wouldn't be appreciating it, that's taking it for granted.

Ski Quicks Hole
Old 05-16-2012, 07:59 AM   #37
Joe

There's only so many parking spots down there. Figure if it fills up with people for whom $28 is not a lot of money, it should be good for business. That's the kind of people you want.
Kinda like how the Newport Bridge deters cheapskates.

Old 05-16-2012, 08:19 AM   #38
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

is it odd or does it seem to me the usualy liberal suspects are actually advocating high fees to access the beach. Looks like the 1% get to enjoy our nations coasts but the other 99% are out of luck? I really dont get you guys.

Old 05-16-2012, 08:22 AM   #39
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Quote:
is it odd or does it seem to me the usualy liberal suspects are actually advocating high fees to access the beach. Looks like the 1% get to enjoy our nations coasts but the other 99% are out of luck? I really dont get you guys.
So how would you have it go? Be a free (pun intended) for all?

Parking is free, facilities are free? Waste clean-up free? Lifegaurds free?

Sounds more like a tax and spend republican policy

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
Old 05-16-2012, 09:05 AM   #40
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIROCKHOUND View Post
So how would you have it go? Be a free (pun intended) for all?

Parking is free, facilities are free? Waste clean-up free? Lifegaurds free?

Sounds more like a tax and spend republican policy
I would have it that the beach or park fees are not revenue generating venues for the govt. I dont think that lifeguard wages and trash clean up has increased so much to warrant the rise in beach fees. the state govts are milking this to raise $$.
Beaches are rights, not privlidges in my mind. I dont want a country where only the wealthy can visit museums, parks, beaches etc.
Museums are free in Washington DC and drives TONS of revenue in tourism.

Old 05-16-2012, 09:14 AM   #41
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Quote:
I would have it that the beach or park fees are not revenue generating venues for the govt.
Tell that to Narragansett residents, who pays lower property taxes b/c of town beach revenue, both parking AND pay per person to get on...

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
Old 05-16-2012, 09:17 AM   #42
Joe

For years the state beach lots have been filled up by 9:30 a.m. by people from CT with moths in their wallets.

Old 05-16-2012, 09:23 AM   #43
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

you guys are right, RI is on track financially. What do I know. The state is in good hands.
As someone from CT who was raised on RI beaches, camped at Burlingame every weekend and went to Charlestown breachway FOR FREE and then went to RI for college and lived there - I think no beach fees paid $$$$ in dividends, myself as an example. Enjoy the shathole your state is becoming.

Old 05-16-2012, 09:23 AM   #44
likwid
lobster = striper bait

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIROCKHOUND View Post
Tell that to Narragansett residents, who pays lower property taxes b/c of town beach revenue, both parking AND pay per person to get on...
God forbid the people who actually live there get some type of break for having to suffer the tourists!

Ski Quicks Hole
Old 05-16-2012, 09:26 AM   #45
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by likwid View Post
God forbid the people who actually live there get some type of break for having to suffer the tourists!
Without tourists Narragansett is central falls with a view.

Old 05-16-2012, 10:02 AM   #46
Joe

I'm going to take my Element and run a shuttle service from PJ Light to Roger Wheeler. $5 one way.

Old 05-16-2012, 10:04 AM   #47
likwid
lobster = striper bait

Quote:
Without tourists Narragansett is central falls with a view.
But its not, so the locals have to suffer the tourists.
And they get tax breaks for being a tourist town due to the tourist revenue!

Ski Quicks Hole
Old 05-16-2012, 10:13 AM   #48
Joe

Tourism is the #1 industry and the beaches are the biggest incentive to visit. It does not make sense to have your primary product serve as a loss-leader in the hope that people will buy things they did not visit for. What hasn't worked is giving it away, clearly.

Old 05-16-2012, 10:29 AM   #49
JohnnyD

Quote:
I forget where, but I once heard someone say "man, one day I hope to be wealthy enough that I could actually afford to be a Democrat... not that I'd actually want to be one though."
Old 05-16-2012, 11:12 AM   #50
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post
Tourism is the #1 industry and the beaches are the biggest incentive to visit. It does not make sense to have your primary product serve as a loss-leader in the hope that people will buy things they did not visit for. What hasn't worked is giving it away, clearly.
and the average RI joes suffer beacuse they cant afford to visit their own beaches.

Old 05-16-2012, 12:41 PM   #51
Joe

Except the less populated ones on Block Island, I have not gone to a beach during the day in fifteen years.
**My wife has had several malignant melanoma recurrences - from gettin' wicked tan back in the 80's

Last edited by Joe; 05-16-2012 at 12:48 PM..

Old 05-16-2012, 02:11 PM   #52
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

ehh, they'd all be better off playing video games and eating junk food.......
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20110716_185542.jpg
Views:	422
Size:	238.5 KB
ID:	52041  

Old 05-16-2012, 02:55 PM   #53
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

The Beatles....Nice

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 05-16-2012, 04:49 PM   #54
buckman

Quote:
That whole video game thing didn't work out to well for RI either
Old 05-16-2012, 04:50 PM   #55
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
"Texas doesn't have a state income tax, but they make it up with "fees" that cover just about everything"

Really. Not according to this ranking of cost of living by state...

Cost of Living by State

Spence, please tell me about these "fees" in Texas, that are the equivalent to an income tax like we have in CT (about 6%).

"States have to get it from somewhere or not offer the services."

Correct. Some states, like CT, offer ridiculous services. As a result, CT attracts people who want welfare instead of wanting a job. At the same time, CT drives out people who want to work. Spence, those low-tax states do offer fewer services, but the services they cut are not missed by many folks. To top it all off, TX has major issues with Mexican immigrants, folks who gobble up services but pay little taxes. Somehow, with such low taxes, TX makes it work. That's why their population is growing.
It would also be very short-sighted to factor in Texas growth without recognizing the impact the oil industry has had, it really kept Texas afloat during the recession and high prices helped drive growth during the recovery.

It also has a low cost of living as many southern states do which has led people to migrate to Texas resulting in low wages...business loves cheap labor.

Higher population at lower incomes still consume a lot which benefits the state through sales taxes which aren't especially low. Augmenting this are numerous fees (state licenses, fees, permits, fines and penalties) to help offset the state income tax.

Also, from what I've read recently most of the job growth has actually been in education, healthcare and government sectors fueled by 17 Billion in Federal stimulus spending.

So the overall economy has benefited from economic growth, but it's not necessarily healthy organic growth. If other states would adopt the same model they'd end up with more government jobs, depressed wages and a fight to the bottom to attract cheap labor.

-spence
Old 05-17-2012, 01:39 AM   #56
Joe

I have stuff in some tourist shops down in Narragansett. The last two years have not been good - not just my stuff, but overall. There's no way the retail revenue streams, and the fact that we don't tax clothing, is going to equal the revenue generated from the beach lots.
People are trying to save money - they are bringing a cooler instead of eating out. They go to the beach, and then straight home to beat the traffic as best as they can. The wallet opens for the fee, then stays shut the rest of the day. The people who shop are the people who rent houses for a week and it rains once or twice. My sister's store in Wickford, right on the way to Narragansett, has never done well on good beach days - and she's selling skin care products, beach bags, flip flops, cover-ups, etc.
Even at $28 - people are still going to go. Last year, the digital information signs highway signs on 95 south were reading "state beach lots full" before noon on good beach days and people were exiting to turn around.
Compared to other forms of recreation, it's not that much and you can stay for four, six, seven hours.

Old 05-17-2012, 02:36 AM   #57
Joe

Quote:
http://fishhardlivelong.com/_0020.MOV
I do take my son to the beach on Block Island and his aunts take him just about weekly in the summer. Some people would take exception to the inference that they were a bad parent. But I'm not, so I don't.

Old 05-17-2012, 06:43 AM   #58
Sea Dangles

It's not always about you Joe. I think Jimmy was using sarcasm to make a general statement,and using a photo to demonstrate his view.

Jimmy,you seem to genuinely enjoy the region. Best of luck chasing a better life in Texas.

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Old 05-17-2012, 07:24 AM   #59
spence

I'd be curious to know if towns have been subsidizing beach expenses for years and what's going on now is a correction. They need the tourist dollars but don't have the budget to maintain.

Texas is an interesting state, I think I've been there at least a dozen times. Not a huge fan do Dallas. Huston would be ok if it wasn't so freakin humid, on second thought don't have good memories of Houston.

San Antonio isn't bad.

Austin is great. Good nightlife, attractive ladies and two Neiman Marcus Last Call outlets :

I could definitely live in Austin.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 05-17-2012, 07:49 AM   #60
Sea Dangles

Don't forget BBQ Jeff,and live music.
Austin seems the frontrunner given the alternatives.
I could live without Needless Markup.

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN