Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 06-03-2012, 07:37 PM   #1
Joe

Flex Infrastructures for Public Higher Education Institutions

In higher education to respond to changes in job demand and the popularity of certain majors, what typically happens is there is a fund raising effort, a new building goes up with the donor's name on it, they increase faculty and the number of students they can serve and it opens.
The only problem is, by the time all this is done, 7-10 years go by before the first larger senior class graduates. By then, often, the demand has been met and the opportunity has declined.
I think if the were to make all new architecture - particularly for the sciences - flexible i.e.: plumbing, power, waste disposal, labs, would all containing the majority of what each discipline requires.
Just change the scale of the buildings, rather than building new, discipline-specific custom buildings, only to see student demand wane and need arise in another area, that is too small.
They could move equipment from building to building and respond years quicker to changes in the demands of the labor market.

Old 06-04-2012, 09:19 AM   #2
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

or, take all that $$$ and work with companies that are doing the new type of work, have students coop with the companies and intern. Learn on the job and save facilities costs

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
Old 06-04-2012, 09:07 PM   #3
Joe

You mean apprenticeships.
They did that and too many people entered the middle class.
We need an underclass of stupid people willing to work for sh_t to ensure an uneven distribution of wealth.

Last edited by Joe; 06-04-2012 at 09:13 PM..

Old 06-04-2012, 11:00 PM   #4
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post
You mean apprenticeships.
They did that and too many people entered the middle class.
We need an underclass of stupid people willing to work for sh_t to ensure an uneven distribution of wealth.
"Even distribution of wealth" is an interesting concept. It sounds fair, equitable, harmonious. But what is it, and how is it accomplished? You obviously don't mean everybody is distributed the same or equal "wealth." That was tried in China (excluding the Communist Party members who, of course were distributed much greater wealth than the rest of the folk) and it didn't work too well. Wealth there is now being distributed to the rest of the folk unevenly. That seems to be creating more satisfaction in those who are receiving greater distribution. But who knows how it will eventually shake out. Maybe more revolutions, etc. There is all this talk of China becoming the next great economic superpower. The jury is out.

Perhaps, you mean different levels of distribution but no sharp difference between one level and the next. Should there be a plan for the whole society--a mandated pay scale sort of like the government G1 to Gwhatever? Perhaps fines or penalties for those who manage to steal a larger portion of distribution than they are entitled?

And what is "wealth"? Surely not money. Money is merely the means to buy some form of wealth. Is wealth various sorts of property? Can wealth be intangibles which money may or may not be able to purchase? Are states of mind such as satisfaction, or happiness, or contentment, or spirituality, or aesthetic taste, and so on forms of wealth? So, under mandated even distribution of wealth will those at different levels of distribution only be allowed their proper portion of property or intangibles?

Last edited by detbuch; 06-04-2012 at 11:05 PM.. Reason: typos
Old 06-05-2012, 07:50 AM   #5
Joe

No.
I meant it would be good if there was more opportunity for the 2/3 of our society with less than a bachelors degree and that higher education wasn't necessary for as many jobs as it is.
Like in China, that quasi-communist, economic super-power, for example.
Where one can get an apprenticeship to work a job an American would need a bachelors in computer science and $80,000 of debt to qualify for.

Last edited by Joe; 06-05-2012 at 07:56 AM..

Old 06-05-2012, 08:29 AM   #6
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Joe, Im confused. Your thread was about higher education and flex plans. Not sure why you responded with distribution of wealth?
My family worked for Sh_t $ to put me through college. We didnt have cable tv, no atari, no credit cards. I went to a state school and had lousy grades. I've done pretty well for myself. There are no barriers to success in this country other than what people impose on themselves.

Old 06-05-2012, 08:35 AM   #7
Joe

What if your parents hadn't worked for sh_t to pay for you?
What if you only had one parent?
What if you were saddled with 80K debt and could not find a job?
You think the unemployed are imposing their unemployment on themselves?

You changed the topic - I was talking about flexible architecture's role in expediting education for a fluid economy. I think it's a good idea.

Last edited by Joe; 06-05-2012 at 08:40 AM..

Old 06-05-2012, 09:27 AM   #8
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Quote:
I was talking about flexible architecture's role in expediting education for a fluid economy. I think it's a good idea.
Great idea. In addition I think tax breaks etc. for large companies, who already
have training departments, should be encouraged to re build their companies in
the inner city where young people would have accesss to it's facilities and learn
what business is about. It would accomplish 2 things, encourage students and
make green areas in the blight of the cities.
High school students could rotate through different departments over a period of time to get a feel for what they might want to do.

" Choose Life "
Old 06-05-2012, 10:00 AM   #9
zimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by justplugit View Post
Great idea. In addition I think tax breaks etc. for large companies, who already
have training departments, should be encouraged to re build their companies in
the inner city where young people would have accesss to it's facilities and learn
what business is about. It would accomplish 2 things, encourage students and
make green areas in the blight of the cities.
High school students could rotate through different departments over a period of time to get a feel for what they might want to do.

No, no, no. we’re 30… 30, three zero.
Old 06-05-2012, 10:14 AM   #10
detbuch

Quote:
No.
I meant it would be good if there was more opportunity for the 2/3 of our society with less than a bachelors degree and that higher education wasn't necessary for as many jobs as it is.

I absolutely agree with you that bachelors degrees are not necessary for many of the jobs that now require it or use it as a screening method to pare down the number of applicants. On the other hand, eliminating the B.A. as a requirement would not raise the number of employees, just redistribute who would get the jobs. My guess as to why there is an excess of college grads competing for the same jobs as other grads or non-grads is the promotion of the importance of education. The whole education industry has grown beyond its necessary contribution to the job market so that now there is an overflow of grads, especially with degrees that are superfluous to employers. The growing "investment" in education has become a bit of a Frankenstein--thousands of the college educated who were promised advantages but now can't find a job.

Like in China, that quasi-communist, economic super-power, for example.

2/3 of Chinese society does not yet have access to the new "capitalist" portion of its economy. Those who do have been allowed entrance into free-market venture capitalism. As this becomes more and more regulated the "super" part of their power may dwindle.

Where one can get an apprenticeship to work a job an American would need a bachelors in computer science and $80,000 of debt to qualify for.
If the degree is truly necessary for a job the competition for it would command a high price. If the degree is just fluff to line the pockets of educators and provide a screening method for empoyers it is a rip-off.
Old 06-05-2012, 11:18 AM   #11
Joe

Or if big business and big education have a symbiotic relationship, whereas business demands the degree, and education ramps up the price as a de-facto way of keeping out undesirables. After all, it's alumni donors who have the most influence of anyone.

Old 06-05-2012, 02:44 PM   #12
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
You changed the topic - I was talking about flexible architecture's role in expediting education for a fluid economy. I think it's a good idea.
I think you misunderstood my reply. Instead of colleges building classrooms, there architecture should really be flexible - leverage coop plans and internships. Why learn in a classroom when you can learn in a company actually doing the work? I am throwing an out of the box idea out there.

hundreds of years ago people didnt go to school to learn a craft, they apprenticed. That might be a way to address the issue in your original post

Old 06-05-2012, 02:50 PM   #13
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

[QUOTE=Joe;942676]What if your parents hadn't worked for sh_t to pay for you?

QUOTE]

to respond - that would be my wife's scenario, all except for the debt. As an immigrant, her dad died when she was 10, her mom raised her living in a major city. Her mom barely spoke english and couldnt assist with college applications or any future planning for her kids. What did she and her brothers do? They barely graduated high school, They worked day jobs that paid for college tution and went to school at night, they graduated. Today? She is very succesful and both her brothers own their own businesses which do very well.
I guess you conclude that they were white and the world welcomed them with open arms.....but they're not. they're chinese. There was no man holding them down, no class barriers, no race barriers and all along no family support. They did it themselves. WHat a great country huh?

Old 06-05-2012, 06:39 PM   #14
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

[QUOTE=RIJIMMY;942741]
Quote:
What if your parents hadn't worked for sh_t to pay for you?

QUOTE]

to respond - that would be my wife's scenario, all except for the debt. As an immigrant, her dad died when she was 10, her mom raised her living in a major city. Her mom barely spoke english and couldnt assist with college applications or any future planning for her kids. What did she and her brothers do? They barely graduated high school, They worked day jobs that paid for college tution and went to school at night, they graduated. Today? She is very succesful and both her brothers own their own businesses which do very well.
I guess you conclude that they were white and the world welcomed them with open arms.....but they're not. they're chinese. There was no man holding them down, no class barriers, no race barriers and all along no family support. They did it themselves. WHat a great country huh?
There are so many sucess stories like this in almost every family.
Most all our families were poor sometime along the way. In fact I would venture to
say most people born before 1945 in our country grew up poor by today's standards.
We just didn't know we were poor, as long as we had food and clothes on our back.
People made there own good times and found their happiness without having or needing stuff.
In order to get stuff you have to work and sacrafice for it.

Things that were luxeries yesterday suddenly become necessities today, or so people think.
People suceed because they are motivated by family, friends, mentors or $$.
People forget their ancestors who came to America had to leave the security of their homes and family, learn English, become citizens and fit into the American
culture. That is sacrafice.
If you want to work and succeed you will never find another country in the
world easier to do it than here.

" Choose Life "
Old 06-06-2012, 07:13 AM   #15
Joe

QUOTE]

I guess you conclude that they were white and the world welcomed them with open arms.....but they're not. they're chinese. There was no man holding them down, no class barriers, no race barriers and all along no family support. They did it themselves. WHat a great country huh?[/QUOTE]

Your wife hit a triple.
You were born on third base.

Immigrants are fearless - that's often left out. They leave everything and everyone behind to start again. Very few people are willing to move within the United States, never mind abroad - to work. So what we get as far as Chinese immigrants, are the most ambitious, bold and fearless people, of nation of 1.3 billion people. Chinese immigrants in other words, are the best people in China: they are very resourceful and see much more opportunity in a America than we do. Plus, for the most part, their culture dictates that they don't borrow from banks - they get financing from relatives.

Last edited by Joe; 06-06-2012 at 07:22 AM..

Old 06-06-2012, 09:46 AM   #16
detbuch

Quote:
Your wife hit a triple.
You were born on third base.

Immigrants are fearless - that's often left out. They leave everything and everyone behind to start again. Very few people are willing to move within the United States, never mind abroad - to work. So what we get as far as Chinese immigrants, are the most ambitious, bold and fearless people, of nation of 1.3 billion people. Chinese immigrants in other words, are the best people in China: they are very resourceful and see much more opportunity in a America than we do. Plus, for the most part, their culture dictates that they don't borrow from banks - they get financing from relatives.
Goes to show the advantage of being "ambitious, bold, and fearless people" who are willing "to work." Without those characteristics, apparently, in a nanny state one must be "born on third base" or allowed to steal home.
Old 06-06-2012, 10:29 AM   #17
Joe

There's no greater distinction as there is between people who were given an opportunity, and those who were not.
Life is a hell of a lot easier when all you have to do is not f_ck up what was handed to you.

Old 06-06-2012, 11:00 AM   #18
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Joe, I feel sorry for you. Serioulsy.
Opportunities are endless and not only for the wealthy.
My parents were blue collar workers. I wasnt born on 3rd base. I was born in a crap little town. My parents gave me a lot in the way of support. They were loving and providing but that was the extent of it. That was all I needed and I am forever in their debt. BUT, they offered career advice or financial advice. I didnt live off them, I never took a dime from them, bought everything on my own. Hell I washed dishes when I was 15 so could buy a guitar. I was on my own at 18. I built everyting on my own. I worked 2 jobs in 1991 to live on my own waitering at night and temping in accounting during the day. The rest of the people I know bitched about the job market. When people went out to bars, I went out to extra classes. WHen I was laid off, I pounded the pavement. I wont fail, I wont let myself. My wife could easily stay home, but she works so we can build for our kids, so we can pay their education.
I am sorry your american dream didnt work out. It must be sad being a victim. I am sure you are working a few jobs to make sure your son is provided for, right? Hard work and sacrifice, right? Or are you banking on a free education at URI? I will gladly be paying my kids education. Maybe you can borrow money and then complain about paying it back?
Your view of the world is a joke.
ps - my wife moved here from India, however she is Chinese. Maybe you're not aware that Chinese people live all over the globe, So I am not sure if you're stereotypical racist insight to Chinese culture applies or not. Interesting you are so knowledgable on the chinese culture, you must eat at a Chinese restaurant maybe twice a week?

Last edited by RIJIMMY; 06-06-2012 at 11:06 AM..

Old 06-06-2012, 12:20 PM   #19
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIJIMMY View Post
Opportunities are endless and not only for the wealthy.
My parents were blue collar workers. I wasnt born on 3rd base. I was born in a crap little town. My parents gave me a lot in the way of support. They were loving and providing but that was the extent of it. That was all I needed and I am forever in their debt. BUT, they offered career advice or financial advice. I didnt live off them, I never took a dime from them, bought everything on my own.
And therein lies the reason for your success. You made your own breaks by working
hard and having a family that stood behind you.
Hard workers will always be noticed by people and the harder and more you work the more employers will want you on their team. You make your own luck.
As I mentioned before, very few of us were ever born with a silver spoon in our mouths, we worked for everything we got, and even those that were born with it, someone at sometime had to sacrafice in order to get the silver spoon.
So why isn't that fair that hard workers get ahead and slackards don't?
You can take hardships and become a stronger and a better person or become
sour on life and take down all around you.
The greatest break anyone can have is to have been born in this country or
move here and become a citizen, that should be enough.
More opportunity to work and succeed here than in any other place in the world.

" Choose Life "
Old 06-06-2012, 06:14 PM   #20
Joe

Gee, it reads like I'm living under a bridge nursing a bottle of Mad-Dog and you're a modern-day Abe Lincoln.
You're off by quite a large margin.

Old 06-06-2012, 09:41 PM   #21
detbuch

Quote:
There's no greater distinction as there is between people who were given an opportunity, and those who were not.

Of the countless number of distinctions that can exist in our sphere of perception, there must be a multitude that are greater than your example. But I get your drift. Besides, the comparative size of a distinction is, to a great degree, subjective. A relevant distinction, off-hand, relating to the thread, is the distinction between those who wait to be given an opportunity and those who seek opportunities. Another distinction between such people is the strength of character and ability to survive downfalls and failures possessed by those who seek rather than those who are given. Another distinction between them is the feeling of satisfaction, accomplishment, and the positive drive to live accrued to those who make their lives as compared to those who are given ready made lives. And on, and on.

Life is a hell of a lot easier when all you have to do is not f_ck up what was handed to you.
But it can be a lot more satisfying and assured if you have the fortitude with the accompanying ability to survive that those who make their lives possess. And it can be a lot more painful when those who have been handed their lives do f_ck up, and many do, and not having learned how to survive, the initial ease can turn into a self-doubting vortex of failure.

In my opinion, a society based on individuals confident in their ability to thrive despite how difficult that may be, is a stronger, more vibrant society than one populated by those who must be given a life and who must be dependent to maintain that life.
Old 06-07-2012, 06:37 AM   #22
Sea Dangles

Quote:
Gee, it reads like I'm living under a bridge nursing a bottle of Mad-Dog and you're a modern-day Abe Lincoln.
You're off by quite a large margin.
What happened to your resourcefulness as a wordsmith when your credibility is questioned?
Suddenly,fish hard and live long doesn't quite cut it.
This thread is indeed a microcosm of political ideals. Problem is that Jimmy provided some real world and first hand examples and our typical liberal had no answer this time.
Looks like RIJ will do just fine in Texas as will his kids. He is not looking for handouts and wondering why the world isn't fair.Some people just make their own breaks,what a concept.

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Old 06-07-2012, 11:14 AM   #23
Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dangles View Post
What happened to your resourcefulness as a wordsmith when your credibility is questioned?
Suddenly,fish hard and live long doesn't quite cut it.
This thread is indeed a microcosm of political ideals. Problem is that Jimmy provided some real world and first hand examples and our typical liberal had no answer this time.
Looks like RIJ will do just fine in Texas as will his kids. He is not looking for handouts and wondering why the world isn't fair.Some people just make their own breaks,what a concept.
A slogan can only be so long and still fit on a decal.

This thread is a microcosm of ideals: It proves I don't care enough, so I'm going to let it go. Not everybody is like me though.

Old 06-09-2012, 10:28 AM   #24
detbuch

I just viewed this video that speaks to some of Joe's concerns re the overuse of college degrees as requirements for jobs, as well as other problems with financing the cost of college, pell grants, etc.

the cost of college.
Old 06-09-2012, 11:37 AM   #25
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

The fact that the default rate on student loans at Hillsdale College is less than 1% doesn't suprise me,
as conservative principles are taught there and along with that comes personal responsibility, not what get can I get free from the Govt.

If Prof. Vetter is correct that student loans debt is higher than personal credit
card debt we are in big trouble.

" Choose Life "