Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » The Scuppers

The Scuppers This is a new forum for the not necessarily fishing related topics...

Old 01-20-2013, 11:24 AM   #61
Mike P
Jiggin' Leper Lawyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
I believe the 50% hematacrit threshold testing was started in 1997. It was EPO at that time they couldn't detect yet. And as you've noted, now they test for plastic chemicals (clenbutyerol or something?) in the blood bags. According to Contador it's very common in beef

Did you read the Tyler Hamilton book? It was pretty interesting.

-spence
Clenbuterol is a steroid used to treat asthma and bronchitis, but unlike albuterol, its usage by athletes is totally prohibited. Can't get a medical exemption for it. It increases RBC count, too.

You could theoretically ingest it by eating tainted meat. The more likely explanation for Contador's little ooopsie is that it was a ghost positive. That is, Alberto was glowing when he had a pint withdrawn, and re-infused it in the later stages of the Tour that year. That would explain why only trace amounts were found.

They can also detect plastic particulates from blood bags now, too.

I haven't got around to reading that yet, but the reviews look good.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools, because they have to say something.
Mike P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 12:13 PM   #62
spence

Yes, I'm mixing it up with the plasticizer I believe he also was accused of testing positive for.

If you follow cycling the Hamilton book is interesting. I think I read the entire book on two flights, it's not deep material.

What's astonishing is that even if some of the book isn't accurate the rest is still pretty crazy and from what we've seen in the USADA report is likely accurate.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 06:25 PM   #63
Mike P
Jiggin' Leper Lawyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
Yes, I'm mixing it up with the plasticizer I believe he also was accused of testing positive for.

If you follow cycling the Hamilton book is interesting. I think I read the entire book on two flights, it's not deep material.

What's astonishing is that even if some of the book isn't accurate the rest is still pretty crazy and from what we've seen in the USADA report is likely accurate.
According to what I've read, the co-author only included thing that he could verify independently of Hamilton.

Going back to that 25 km finishing time trial in 1989, LeMond made some tactical decisions that gave him the win, independently of the extraordinary effort. He decided that he wouldn't get his interval splits from his team car, preferring to just ride blind. The course was primarily downhill, and while it was downwind, there was also a quartering tail wind. So he decided to only have a solid disc wheel on the rear, keeping a conventional spoked wheel on the front, which he thought would be more stable in that cross wind. He also fitted his bike with aero bars. Fignon's team lodged a grievance, but the governing body approved their use. Instead of adding aero bars himself, Fignon rode with conventional drop bars. He also had a solid disc wheel on the front, which might have resulted in him expending more effort in holding a line. LeMond also wore an aero helmet, while Fignon rode bare headed. Fignon had long hair and tied it into a ponytail. Although I don't put much stock in the theory, some pundits claim that it added enough drag to affect the outcome.

If picture is worth 1000 words, this one is an encyclopedia. You can see how devastated Fignon was at his loss.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1989-sur-le-podium-de-ce-tour-de-france-89-le-contraste-est-.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	54740

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools, because they have to say something.
Old 01-22-2013, 06:07 PM   #64
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

the lance armstrong story is of a guy who against all odds beat cancer and then to take it even further became an amazing athlete and win more TDF races than anyone. he was the best of the best. Thats what 99% of the Americans walking around believed and the story they knew. its all that I knew about the guy but it was a story I loved. The guy was a f'in hero. Many of you said - everyone knew he was doping - thats crap, average people that knew of armsotrong had no idea. They, like me only knew lance the hero. Lance the hero is what propelled livestrong, its what enabled his charity and all the branding. Period - lance the hero.
Well, lance the hero is a fraud, he won by cheating. he is just a guy that beat cancer, many do. they dont create a story for themselves and lie. Lance the hero was the inspiration to people, the whole package, not just the TDF wins, they whole story is what made him special and enabled his success.
Some of Madoffs investors redeemed with a profit and actually made money. Hamas does amazing things for palistinians but also blows up babies. the end DOES NOT justify the means. His lies will hurt more people than any good he created. DOOOOSHH BAAAAG !
Tiger Woods lied to his wife, his business is not mine. Last I checked he is still golfing, no? Lance planning any races anytime soon?

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
RIJIMMY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:45 PM   #65
Sea Dangles

Jimmy,Hamas?
stay out of the sun and drink lots of liquids.

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Sea Dangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:33 PM   #66
Mike P
Jiggin' Leper Lawyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIJIMMY View Post
Tiger Woods lied to his wife, his business is not mine. Last I checked he is still golfing, no? Lance planning any races anytime soon?
Rumors about Tiger and HGH have been out there for quite a few years, now. Just sayin'. Guy went from being whipcord thin to ripped.

There are many who believe that this whole "confessing" thing is part of a plan to get re-instated. Not in pro cycling, but in triathalon. Lance thinks he can contend for the Ironman title. He may be right. He'd dominate the cycling stage, even in his mid-40s. He was gearing up for a crack at it before all the #^&#^&#^&#^& hit the fan.

He competed in triathalons before he became a pro cyclist.

Old 01-22-2013, 09:42 PM   #67
striperman36
Old Guy

something to be said about coming out after all this. I think you hit Mike.
striperman36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:46 AM   #68
Raven

i experiment with many performance enhancing Vitamins but don't mess with "whoremoans" because they can cause weird side effects.
I have successfully discovered a formula that turns limp wood to Tigerwood but not petrified wood that hurts for 4 hours.

Does that make me not a hero...i think not...and it's ALL
perfectly legal.

My Cardio Echo exam yesterday indicates that i am right on the money and ahead of the Game.
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:33 AM   #69
Mike P
Jiggin' Leper Lawyer

EPO can make your blood the consistency of molasses, and cause a stroke. More than one athlete has died from taking too much. Usually happens in their sleep, when the body's metabolism slows. The same is true of adding extra blood to a full tank.

While it's true that there is no causal link between steroids/HGH and testicular cancer, there is some evidence that excess HGH can speed the metastisis of cancer to other organs. Lance's cancer had spread from his nuts to his brain.

Old 01-27-2013, 08:01 PM   #70
Dick Durand

Just finished watching the segment on 60 Minutes dealing with Lance Armstrong. As much as I wanted to think well of the guy, his culpablity is far more pervasive than I ever would have imagined. It's so much more than just an individual athelete trying to beat the odds.
Dick Durand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:09 PM   #71
ThrowingTimber
It's about respect baby!

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe View Post
He should run for congress.
Wheelhouse!

Domination takes full concentration..
ThrowingTimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:11 PM   #72
ThrowingTimber
It's about respect baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike P View Post
Rumors about Tiger and HGH have been out there for quite a few years, now. Just sayin'. Guy went from being whipcord thin to ripped.

There are many who believe that this whole "confessing" thing is part of a plan to get re-instated. Not in pro cycling, but in triathalon. Lance thinks he can contend for the Ironman title. He may be right. He'd dominate the cycling stage, even in his mid-40s. He was gearing up for a crack at it before all the #^&#^&#^&#^& hit the fan.

He competed in triathalons before he became a pro cyclist.
Agreed. He is doing the "I did bad, now how long will it take to forgive me?" routine.

Domination takes full concentration..
ThrowingTimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:34 PM   #73
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Quote:
Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^& Durand View Post
Just finished watching the segment on 60 Minutes dealing with Lance Armstrong. As much as I wanted to think well of the guy, his culpablity is far more pervasive than I ever would have imagined. It's so much more than just an individual athelete trying to beat the odds.
You could include fraud ($90 mil from USPS contract ie. taxpayers), witness tampering, intimidation, and ruining people's careers/lives.

I wonder how much Sheryl Crow knew, and when she knew.... Think that might have been the reason she and Lance split?
nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 10:41 PM   #74
Slingah

I watched the 60 Minutes segment too....if all that chit turns out to be true, he's a SUPER doosh!

Live at Leeds
Slingah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:43 AM   #75
Raven

some of the stories going around and the secret methods employed like transfusions
while lying down on the floor of the bus are quite remarkable.
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:23 AM   #76
Joe

Steal a little, and they throw you in jail.
Steal a lot, and they make you king.
Bob Dylan

Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 02:12 PM   #77
Mike P
Jiggin' Leper Lawyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfighter View Post
You could include fraud ($90 mil from USPS contract ie. taxpayers), witness tampering, intimidation, and ruining people's careers/lives.

I wonder how much Sheryl Crow knew, and when she knew.... Think that might have been the reason she and Lance split?
It was only $30 million that USPS spent to fund the cycling team over the years, and I think that the team was in existence before Lance started winning TdFs. Lance rode for the Discovery team for at least his last yellow jersey. In his two comeback years, 2009/2010, he rode for Astana in 2009, and Radio Shack in 2010.

The $90 million comes from the fact that in a qui tam whisteblower suit, the court can award triple damages.

Old 01-28-2013, 04:53 PM   #78
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike P View Post
It well could have precipitated the emotional collapse in Florida, the extended use of it that is.

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Serial Mailbox Killer/Seal Fisherman
Swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 04:54 PM   #79
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven View Post
some of the stories going around and the secret methods employed like transfusions
while lying down on the floor of the bus are quite remarkable.

Not transfusions, but he washed his blood in a dialysis machine everyday!!!!!!!!!!!!

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Serial Mailbox Killer/Seal Fisherman
Swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote