Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 05-14-2012, 08:20 AM   #1
Jim in CT

RI state beaches charging on Mothers Day

Every year for the past 15 years, my parents spend the first 2 weeks of May at Fisherman's Memorial Campground, a beautiful public campground in Narragansett. Almost every year for the last 15 years, we visit them on Mother's Day. We always eat lunch at George's, and then go to Roger Wheeler State VBeach for a stroll, and for the last few years, our little kids splash in the shallows.

This year, for the first time, there were parking lot employees charging to park. $28 for out-of-state. Seems a bit like gouging to start on Mother's Day. Worse, my kids got hungry, so I ran into Galilee to get hot dogs for everyone, and they tried to charge me again to get back in. I guess their policy is no re-entry. Maybe there's logic to the on July 4th, but on this day, there were less than 20 cars in the mammoth parking lot, and they were acting like they couldn't spare a spot to give me.

Sign of the times.
Old 05-14-2012, 08:50 AM   #2
Duke41
got gas?

just another tax thats all it is. This from a state that allowed state employees to purchase years for their pension. No one raised a stink. If you didn't try to vote those greedy peices of #^&#^&#^&#^& out of office you get what you deserve.
Old 05-14-2012, 08:59 AM   #3
Saltheart

$28 for an out of stater to park at the beach!! Wow. So that chases away the out of staters. lets see..$10 to park , $30 for lunch at local restaurant , $25 for stuff at a souvenier shop , maybe $80 for dinner...Vs...nope $28 to park is a rip off , we're not going to RI! Looks like a net lose to RI to me.

Saltheart
Custom Crafted Rods by Saltheart
Old 05-14-2012, 09:04 AM   #4
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
Every year for the past 15 years, my parents spend the first 2 weeks of May at Fisherman's Memorial Campground, a beautiful public campground in Narragansett. Almost every year for the last 15 years, we visit them on Mother's Day. We always eat lunch at George's, and then go to Roger Wheeler State VBeach for a stroll, and for the last few years, our little kids splash in the shallows.

This year, for the first time, there were parking lot employees charging to park. $28 for out-of-state. Seems a bit like gouging to start on Mother's Day. Worse, my kids got hungry, so I ran into Galilee to get hot dogs for everyone, and they tried to charge me again to get back in. I guess their policy is no re-entry. Maybe there's logic to the on July 4th, but on this day, there were less than 20 cars in the mammoth parking lot, and they were acting like they couldn't spare a spot to give me.

Sign of the times.
Send an email to Janet Coit, Director of RIDEM.

janet.coit@dem.ri.gov

She is a great lady and will listen.

No boat, back in the suds.
Old 05-14-2012, 09:13 AM   #5
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltheart View Post
$28 for an out of stater to park at the beach!! Wow. So that chases away the out of staters. lets see..$10 to park , $30 for lunch at local restaurant , $25 for stuff at a souvenier shop , maybe $80 for dinner...Vs...nope $28 to park is a rip off , we're not going to RI! Looks like a net lose to RI to me.
Even worse than $28 for out-of-staters, is the fact that they charge $14, on weekends, for state residents! That is insane.
Old 05-14-2012, 09:19 AM   #6
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Quote:
Even worse than $28 for out-of-staters, is the fact that they charge $14, on weekends, for state residents! That is insane.
I'm not justifying having them charge on mothers day.. they usually begin the weekend before Memorial day if the weather is good.

For the record, Hammonasset is $22 for non-residents and $13 for residents on a weekend.... It's not like RI is gouging that far above and beyond...

Is it a rip-off? Probably, but we'll get a $60.00 season pass and my wife will use it probably 15 times during the season at $4/visit. Considering the beach we use has excellent bathroom and shower facilities, we'll continue to think, at least a resident it isn't abad deal...

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
Old 05-14-2012, 09:26 AM   #7
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIROCKHOUND View Post
I'm not justifying having them charge on mothers day.. they usually begin the weekend before Memorial day if the weather is good.

For the record, Hammonasset is $22 for non-residents and $13 for residents on a weekend.... It's not like RI is gouging that far above and beyond...

Is it a rip-off? Probably, but we'll get a $60.00 season pass and my wife will use it probably 15 times during the season at $4/visit. Considering the beach we use has excellent bathroom and shower facilities, we'll continue to think, at least a resident it isn't abad deal...
Bryan, I agree. I put the post up for the out of staters. We also get a season pass and it is well worth the money.

No boat, back in the suds.
Old 05-14-2012, 09:29 AM   #8
bart
Red Eye Jedi

that's absurd.
Old 05-14-2012, 09:35 AM   #9
Piscator

Try out Duxbury Beach in Mass.

The Non-Resident sticker price for the season is $295. That is not an out-of-state price. It's and out-of-town price........ awesome beach though and nice to be able to drive out on the sand (especially with all the stuff the wife and kids bring to the beach)

"I know a taxidermy man back home. He gonna have a heart attack when he see what I brung him!"
Old 05-14-2012, 09:35 AM   #10
Jim in CT

Quote:

I agree 100%. It's also worth noting that most CT state beaches are nowhere near as nice as RI. Why anyone would leave RI to pay more for beaches in CT is beyond me.

We bought an out-of-state season pass for $120. Well worth it for us, as we'll do some camping in south county this year, and with the little kids, we like Roger Wheeler.

To me, the price isn't as offensive as hitting me up on May 13. That's early. And Mother's Day to boot. The showers weren't running yet. If the facilities aren't operating, they shouldn't be charging.
Old 05-14-2012, 09:54 AM   #11
Mike P
Jiggin' Leper Lawyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke41 View Post
just another tax thats all it is. This from a state that allowed state employees to purchase years for their pension. No one raised a stink. If you didn't try to vote those greedy peices of #^&#^&#^&#^& out of office you get what you deserve.
No, it's a user fee. Unlike taxes, which everyone has to pay, user fees are paid by those who want to enjoy the facility. If you haven't been reading the ProJo, Rhody is broke. It doesn't have the money to subsidize beach goers to any great degree. So, there are 3 alternatives available to DEM: 1) close the beaches down. That saves operational costs, but deprives the state of tourist dollars. Sales tax and gas tax revenues go down as a result. 2). Increase state taxes. Like that will fly with voters. And in truth, why should people in Woonsocket, who never go to the beach, pay more taxes so out-of-staters can use RI beaches at bargain rates? 3). Increase user fees.

It's called pay to play. FWIW, NY State starts collecting beach parking fees in April and continues into December, on weekends.

And if folks want to expound on politics, we have a separate place to do that.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools, because they have to say something.
Old 05-14-2012, 10:02 AM   #12
Raven

WELL SPOKEN mike p
Although i think the out of state season pass for non residents shouldn't be double
that of residents... maybe $80 so they fill the place.
Old 05-14-2012, 12:28 PM   #13
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:

but for property owners in RI who live out of state, they still get screwed. we own property in RI, pay RI property tax, my wife works in RI, pays RI state taxes and yet they only give you resident beach rate if you have an RI drivers license. Nothing else works. crazy. oh well - im leaving anyway
freedom aint as free as it used to be.

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
Old 05-14-2012, 12:46 PM   #14
likwid
lobster = striper bait

Send a message via AIM to likwid
Quote:

The only beaches in East Hampton NY that allow day passes are $25/day. Non-resident beach passes for the year (long sold out already) are $325.

Perspective.

Ski Quicks Hole
Old 05-14-2012, 01:33 PM   #15
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIJIMMY View Post
but for property owners in RI who live out of state, they still get screwed. we own property in RI, pay RI property tax, my wife works in RI, pays RI state taxes and yet they only give you resident beach rate if you have an RI drivers license. Nothing else works. crazy. oh well - im leaving anyway
freedom aint as free as it used to be.
I'm in the same boat..I work in Maine and pay Maine State taxes....and I'm always pissing and moaning about why I can't get a fishing license at the resident rate.

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 05-14-2012, 01:46 PM   #16
zimmy

Compo Beach in Westport starting May 1st is $30 weekdays, $50 weekends to park if you don't have a pass

No, no, no. we’re 30… 30, three zero.
Old 05-14-2012, 01:52 PM   #17
Mr. Sandman

If you don't like it...don't go, do somethine else. They are not forcing you to pay for something you don't use, only something you do use.

I agree it is expensive but at least this way it will keep the riff-raft away.

I think what bothers me more is when you buy a beach pass then they close the beach because of birds for the bulk of the season... I don't mind paying for some degree of exclusivity but then not to have access, that sucks.
Old 05-14-2012, 02:13 PM   #18
PaulS

If anyone wants to go to the beach in FFld, Ct. PM me. You can park in my driveway for free and walk.

Many beaches let you walk or bike in for free. Park at a near by lot and bike in.
Old 05-14-2012, 02:15 PM   #19
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Sandman View Post
If you don't like it...don't go, do somethine else. They are not forcing you to pay for something you don't use, only something you do use.

I agree it is expensive but at least this way it will keep the riff-raft away.
if this was a business I would agree, but its not, its state land and water access. state and fed tax dollars are used for preservation of the waterfront. This is gouging people to use what is rightfully theirs. Private beach is a different story
they raised the fee in RI last year and the beaches were still mobbed so I guess it doesnt matter.

Old 05-14-2012, 02:20 PM   #20
FishermanTim

It's definitely "Pay to Play", and if you don't like their rules (which change as frequently as the tides) then tough luck!!!

It never ceases to amaze me that the state (pick whatever on you want) will cry "Poor me!" with their P&R budget and then impose stiff fees for residents and non-residents, and complain when the tourist don't flock to their state like their "budget anaylyst" TOLD them they would!

In otherwords, you get what you paid for, regardless of how the people in power got there.

I stopped going to the beaches when they started making me pay to park.
Figure that by sticking us with one more fee, they have made my decision to avoid those beaches/parks for me, and consequently have saved me thousands of dollars that I might have spent there.

To that I say "Thanks" and good riddance!!

Just my $0.02
Old 05-14-2012, 03:12 PM   #21
Piscator

Quote:
if this was a business I would agree, but its not, its state land and water access. state and fed tax dollars are used for preservation of the waterfront. This is gouging people to use what is rightfully theirs. Private beach is a different story
they raised the fee in RI last year and the beaches were still mobbed so I guess it doesnt matter.
got me thinking about fishing licenses. Who knows what a fresh / salt water license will cost in 10-15 years. We might see similar fees……….

"I know a taxidermy man back home. He gonna have a heart attack when he see what I brung him!"
Old 05-14-2012, 03:30 PM   #22
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

doing my Texas reseach, came across articles on how Ft Worth has a thriving arts and downtown areas. Museums, restaurants, shops, etc. Lonely Planet guide calls it one of the best pedestrian friendly downtowns in the nation.
Is it a coincedence that PARKING IS FREE every weekend in downtown Ft Worth? FREE PARKING ! Cost me @ $35 to park near Quincy market! Guess how often we go into Boston?

Old 05-14-2012, 04:05 PM   #23
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishermanTim View Post
you get what you paid for,
Just my $0.02
Where do you live that you feel like you are getting what you pay for? Can I move there?

I can pay the fee, no problem. Some others, including some state residents, cannot. The beach isn't just for those who have disposable income. Roger Wheeler State Beach belongs to all of the citizens of Rhode Island, not just the ones who have disposable income.

I bought a state pass. I don't like getting charged in the middle of May, particularly when the showers weren't turned on yet.
Old 05-14-2012, 04:06 PM   #24
Jim in CT

Quote:
doing my Texas reseach, came across articles on how Ft Worth has a thriving arts and downtown areas. Museums, restaurants, shops, etc. Lonely Planet guide calls it one of the best pedestrian friendly downtowns in the nation.
Is it a coincedence that PARKING IS FREE every weekend in downtown Ft Worth? FREE PARKING ! Cost me @ $35 to park near Quincy market! Guess how often we go into Boston?
And they also don't even know what the word "tax" means. I believe they have no sales tax, nor a state income tax?
Old 05-14-2012, 04:10 PM   #25
likwid
lobster = striper bait

Quote:
Cost me @ $35 to park near Quincy market! Guess how often we go into Boston?
People pay for parking in Boston?
Slacker.

Ski Quicks Hole
Old 05-14-2012, 04:14 PM   #26
likwid
lobster = striper bait

Quote:
And they also don't even know what the word "tax" means. I believe they have no sales tax, nor a state income tax?
6.25% sales tax along with cities/counties/towns can impose up to an additional 2%.

I guess they know what "tax" means.

Ski Quicks Hole
Old 05-14-2012, 04:19 PM   #27
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Quote:
They also receive (in 2007) 4+ Billion dollars/year in energy and other severance taxes from industry... and have 6.25% sales tax

State Energy Revenues Update

and have 'Among the highest property taxes in the country'
Economy of Texas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
Old 05-14-2012, 05:32 PM   #28
Jim in CT

That's why I put a question mark there.

Yax burden by state in this link. TX is 45th (1st is highest, 50 is lowest).

The Tax Foundation - State and Local Tax Burdens: All States, One Year, 1977 - 2009

So yes, they know what "tax" means. Not the way we in New england know what it means...and I don't know what we get for all that extra $$. Beats me.
Old 05-14-2012, 06:23 PM   #29
spence

States have to get it from somewhere or not offer the services.

Texas doesn't have a state income tax, but they make it up with "fees" that cover just about everything. Some may argue these are a use tax and more fair...I'd wager the result really depends on how the money is spent.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 05-14-2012, 06:53 PM   #30
PaulS

Texas is one of the few states in the south that on a per capita basis actually sends more to Washington than they get in return.