Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 05-31-2012, 09:58 AM   #1
Fly Rod

Obama's Healthcare

The President and the Democratic leaders in Congress championed this bill and they said it was going to lower the cost of healthcare,” not according to a young Christian College student whose health insurance is going to double from about 600 a year to over 1300 dollars when he returns to college in the fall. He is begining to learn what "Hope and Change is." I am sure other colleges will be dropping their health plan and opting for Obama Care.

This is only the beginning, those of us that have health care thru our employer will be dropped, employer will pay the fine for dropping us which is a small price compared to what they will be saving in the long run.
Old 05-31-2012, 10:12 AM   #2
JohnnyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly Rod View Post
This is only the beginning, those of us that have health care thru our employer will be dropped, employer will pay the fine for dropping us which is a small price compared to what they will be saving in the long run.
Before I left my last company, this is exactly what I was suggesting to my business partner. At the time, the company was under the threshold number of employees for ObamaCare but any expansion and it would make far more sense to not provide health care and pay the penalty (read as: tax).
Old 05-31-2012, 10:39 AM   #3
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyD View Post
Before I left my last company, this is exactly what I was suggesting to my business partner. At the time, the company was under the threshold number of employees for ObamaCare but any expansion and it would make far more sense to not provide health care and pay the penalty (read as: tax).
I'd really like for Spence or Zimmy to respond to your post, and tell me why I should believe Obama's claim that Obamacare will lower costs.

No one, not even supreme beings like Obama, can add folks to the rolls and expand coverage, for less money. Not unless we all go to Guatemala for medical care.

Obama had a Democrat-controlled legislature for two full years. And his single prominent legislative achievement is (1) not going to reduce costs as claimed, and (2) about to be deemed illegal by the Supreme Court.

Other than the fact that Obamacare is (1) not working as advertised, and (2) illegal, it's great, though.
Old 05-31-2012, 10:56 AM   #4
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post

Obama had a Democrat-controlled legislature for two full years. And his single prominent legislative achievement is (1) not going to reduce costs as claimed, and (2) about to be deemed illegal by the Supreme Court.
Yup, two years while he had the majority wasted, when he could and should of been working on jobs and the economy. Too little too late.

" Choose Life "
Old 05-31-2012, 01:20 PM   #5
JohnnyD

Quote:
I'd really like for Spence or Zimmy to respond to your post, and tell me why I should believe Obama's claim that Obamacare will lower costs.

No one, not even supreme beings like Obama, can add folks to the rolls and expand coverage, for less money. Not unless we all go to Guatemala for medical care.

Other than the fact that Obamacare is (1) not working as advertised, and (2) illegal, it's great, though.
How about this??? (emphasis mine)

Maine deregulates the insurance market. Premiums fall.

Quote:
When the 2010 electoral wave carried in Republican Governor Paul LePage and a GOP legislature, and they took modest steps to deregulate the insurance market. Insurers are now allowed to sell policies for premiums that range from 3 to 1 on the basis of age, rather than the prior 1.5 to 1, and to offer incentives or discounts for consumers to choose high-value providers.

The returns are now rolling in for the new coverage that can be offered starting on July 1, and premiums are falling by as much as 69% for Maine's dominant insurer, Anthem.
ObamaCare in Reverse - Johnny Fever - Open Salon
Old 05-31-2012, 01:32 PM   #6
zimmy

Quote:
The President and the Democratic leaders in Congress championed this bill and they said it was going to lower the cost of healthcare,” not according to a young Christian College student whose health insurance is going to double from about 600 a year to over 1300 dollars when he returns to college in the fall. He is begining to learn what "Hope and Change is." I am sure other colleges will be dropping their health plan and opting for Obama Care.

Any chance you can specify how the health care bill caused the change in price? Most of the bill doesn't even start to go into effect until after 2013. This isn't more right wing "my perception must be reality" ? Or is the spin going to be "Obama said it will go down, but it is going up."? Where did you get your info? Did you investigate the details? Any idea how much health care has gone up over the last 20 years? I understand how if one doesn't like Obama, you could get riled up by this crap, but come on... is it even honest? Sounds like a chain email, actually, or some nutso right wing talk show

No, no, no. we’re 30… 30, three zero.
Old 05-31-2012, 01:39 PM   #7
zimmy

Quote:
How about this??? (emphasis mine)

Maine deregulates the insurance market. Premiums fall.

ObamaCare in Reverse - Johnny Fever - Open Salon
But, if Obama care can make someones prices double, how can they be going down somewhere else This is some funny shizzle.

Electricity deregualtion sure was a boon to consumers.

Old 05-31-2012, 01:45 PM   #8
JohnnyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimmy View Post

But, if Obama care can make someones prices double, how can they be going down somewhere else This is some funny shizzle.

Electricity deregualtion sure was a boon to consumers.
You might have answered your own question in your previous post:
Quote:
Any chance you can specify how the health care bill caused the change in price? Most of the bill doesn't even start to go into effect until after 2013.
Old 05-31-2012, 01:54 PM   #9
zimmy

Quote:
You might have answered your own question in your previous post:
So then the whole premise of the original post is invalid. I wasn't even 100% sure it was since the details of it are nonexistent, but I am glad to find out that I was correct.
I think I will call up one of the national right wing wack jobs and tell them "as a youngish aged Christian, my health care costs have gone up 300% since the law passed, and the moon slowed its orbit around the Earth." That'll get em going.

Old 05-31-2012, 01:54 PM   #10
PaulS

Quote:
Any chance you can specify how the health care bill caused the change in price? Most of the bill doesn't even start to go into effect until after 2013. :
In 2011 the things that went into effect include:

No annual limit or lifetime limits on essential benefits
Coverage for adult children up to age 26
No pre-ex exclusion for enrollees under 19.

All relatively tiny additions to healthcare costs according to the actuaries but they must be wrong according to "a young Christian College student whose health insurance is going to double from about 600 a year to over 1300 dollars when he returns to college in the fall"
Old 05-31-2012, 02:03 PM   #11
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Our State deregulated Auto insurance a while back and my premiums
dropped from $2,000/yr to $1,100/yr for my car and truck.

The Administration has it arse backwards, allow interstate health insurance competition and Tort reform FIRST before spending 2 years concocking some 3,000 page program that no one has a clue of it's entireity.
But common sense like that has been too much to ask for.

" Choose Life "
Old 05-31-2012, 02:23 PM   #12
Raven

SPEAKING OF COMMON SENSE....

i seem to have allot more of it than my primary care physician
who will prescribe for me all kinds of medications that have worse
side effects and cause other subsequent problems than what my original
health malady required.

They all have a similar attitude and that is (pills will fix everything )

that a certain segment of the population will have adverse side effects
and for the most part this is a safe to use medicine for the general population.
Old 05-31-2012, 05:34 PM   #13
JohnnyD

With all do respect, we all need to be responsible for our own health. If you have an ailment, you can either take a medication and deal with the side effects or not take the medication and deal with the sickness. Doctors aren't going to prescribe you a selection of herbs and homeopathic therapies for whatever ailment you have.

It's each of our own responsibilities to ask questions about the side effects of a medication and make your own decisions about whether the side effects are worth it or not.

This is coming from someone who's fiance is a primary care provider and does everything in her power *not* to unnecessarily prescribe medications.
Old 05-31-2012, 07:16 PM   #14
Raven

Thumbs up

SINCE

Quote:
Doctors aren't going to prescribe you a selection of herbs and homeopathic therapies for whatever ailment you have.

It's each of our own responsibilities make your own decisions about
your own Health

Rather than rely on a 22,000 pages of Bullshet OBAMA health Care Plan

well spoken JD
Old 05-31-2012, 07:32 PM   #15
zimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by justplugit View Post
Our State deregulated Auto insurance a while back and my premiums
dropped from $2,000/yr to $1,100/yr for my car and truck.

The Administration has it arse backwards, allow interstate health insurance competition and Tort reform FIRST before spending 2 years concocking some 3,000 page program that no one has a clue of it's entireity.
But common sense like that has been too much to ask for.
Exact same auto policy? By the way, I hear common sense tossed around all the time in this forum. Common sense says that one should not fall for the bs that a law that hasn't taken affect is the reason that some random persons health care costs doubled. Common sense says people should actually investigate the details of claims, analyze actual costs/effects etc. before drawing conclusions. Common sense isn't very common, but it is sure brought up all the time.

Old 06-01-2012, 07:08 AM   #16
Fly Rod

Quote:
So then the whole premise of the original post is invalid. I wasn't even 100% sure it was since the details of it are nonexistent, but I am glad to find out that I was correct.
I think I will call up one of the national right wing wack jobs and tell them "as a youngish aged Christian, my health care costs have gone up 300% since the law passed, and the moon slowed its orbit around the Earth." That'll get em going.
U R not correct!
Old 06-01-2012, 07:11 AM   #17
Fly Rod

Here it is Zimmy:

Christian College Says ObamaCare Will Double Insurance Costs | FOX News & Commentary: Todd Starnes

and you can not just go by the state of Maine, did they invent the "Tooth Brush."

Last edited by Fly Rod; 06-01-2012 at 07:16 AM..
Old 06-01-2012, 09:24 AM   #18
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Quote:
Exact same auto policy? .
Same Agent, same coverage, different company.

" Choose Life "
Old 06-01-2012, 09:25 AM   #19
zimmy

Quote:
Here it is Zimmy:

Christian College Says ObamaCare Will Double Insurance Costs | FOX News & Commentary: Todd Starnes

and you can not just go by the state of Maine, did they invent the "Tooth Brush."
Too bad the article doesn't specifically state why the cost increased at this school. What component of the law went in to effect that changed the premium? Did the school have other options available that the school chose not to pursue?

"The college said even though students will pay a higher price, they will also get better benefits. The letter to students explained that the $115 per month charge is “particularly inexpensive compared to the cost of most plans (usually at $400 per month for an individual).”

I wonder how many of these basic questions fox news asked? Almost certainly, none. Better to run with it since it fits the mantra of farse and unbalanced news.

Last edited by zimmy; 06-01-2012 at 09:36 AM..

Old 06-01-2012, 09:36 AM   #20
zimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by justplugit View Post
Same Agent, same coverage, different company.
That is pretty nice difference. I had to look into it, since dereg happened since I moved out of mass. Sounds like the average premium has decrease 12%, which is still pretty good. The state setting prices was stupid. For some reason, I can't seem to find what the set prices for health care under the new law are.

Old 06-01-2012, 09:42 AM   #21
Piscator

Health Insurance costs are skyrocketing for me and my wife. My company no longer allows her to be on my insurance because her company offers a plan. Her company does not allow me on hers since my company offers a plan. This is all new. Now we have 2 deductibles to hit (so much for family coverage plans). The price we are paying for Health Care is insane. Both of our companies blame the rising cost of insurance and point the finger to the insurance companies. Why is it rising??? I’m not sure (coincidence to Obama care? Who knows but I tend to think so) It does piss me off that others get free Health Care when I have to pay through the nose for coverage and knowing my taxes are going to pay for their health care. The reality is the rising costs are REAL and hitting SOME folks hard…………..

Handouts are killing this country, when are we going to wake up?

"I know a taxidermy man back home. He gonna have a heart attack when he see what I brung him!"
Old 06-01-2012, 10:11 AM   #22
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piscator View Post
Health Insurance costs are skyrocketing for me and my wife. My company no longer allows her to be on my insurance because her company offers a plan. Her company does not allow me on hers since my company offers a plan. This is all new. Now we have 2 deductibles to hit (so much for family coverage plans). The price we are paying for Health Care is insane. Both of our companies blame the rising cost of insurance and point the finger to the insurance companies. Why is it rising??? I’m not sure (coincidence to Obama care? Who knows but I tend to think so) It does piss me off that others get free Health Care when I have to pay through the nose for coverage and knowing my taxes are going to pay for their health care. The reality is the rising costs are REAL and hitting SOME folks hard…………..

Handouts are killing this country, when are we going to wake up?
How much did your HC costs rise during Bush? I know ours have gone up pretty steady since before Jan 2009......

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
Old 06-01-2012, 10:42 AM   #23
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIROCKHOUND View Post
How much did your HC costs rise during Bush? I know ours have gone up pretty steady since before Jan 2009......
Why does that matter? Obama did not claim that his law was going to "cause costs to rise, but by a smaller amount than they increased under Bush".

Obama said Obamacare would lower costs. Decrease. Not "increase at a lower rate per annum."

You can't insure more people, and increase coverage (like free birth control) for less money. Not possible.
Old 06-01-2012, 10:50 AM   #24
Jim in CT

Quote:
Too bad the article doesn't specifically state why the cost increased at this school. What component of the law went in to effect that changed the premium? Did the school have other options available that the school chose not to pursue?

"The college said even though students will pay a higher price, they will also get better benefits. The letter to students explained that the $115 per month charge is “particularly inexpensive compared to the cost of most plans (usually at $400 per month for an individual).”

I wonder how many of these basic questions fox news asked? Almost certainly, none. Better to run with it since it fits the mantra of farse and unbalanced news.
Zimmy, how is this for you?

Non-Partisan CBO Director Says ObamaCare Will Raise Costs | Speaker.gov

Some quotes...

"Douglas Elmendorf, the independent, non-partisan head of the Congressional Budget Office (CBO) provided further confirmation that ObamaCare will increase health care costs"

" Towers Watson study, which found near unanimity among businesses that ObamaCare will accelerate health care costs"

"devastating report by the Obama Administration’s own Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) that concluded the law will raise Americans’ health care costs"

Zimmy, how much evidence do you need, in addition to basic common sense, before you admit that ObamaCare will increase costs?

I'm not saying that spending money to save people is bad...quite the contrary. Bush spent a ton of money in Africa to fight AIDS, and he is credited with saving one million lives in Africa. That's money well spent, in my opinion. If my taxes increase to save one million lives, great!

I'm not upset, in and of itself, that Obamacare will cost more. I'm upset that Obama said with a straight face that it would lower costs. Everyone not blinded by ideology knew that was wrong, and now we have a Himalayan mountain of evidence to prove it's wrong. Zimmy, I don't think even Obama is still claiming costs will go down. But you go on believing it, just because it makes him look good.
Old 06-01-2012, 12:09 PM   #25
zimmy

Quote:
But you go on believing it, just because it makes him look good.
Come on Jim, I would think you are smarter than that. I didn't say I even believed him To me it is the least important issue of the health care law. What I want to see is one real piece of evidence that the doubled price of insurance for the kid in the first article was because of the health care law, which mostly goes into effect in 2014. The link you post doesn't do that either. Did anyone ever learn the basics of data analysis. Correlation does not mean causation. If it is true, I will be the first to say it, but someone please find an actual connection between the Fox Spews report and the law. There are 1000's of pages of actual climate data that the right completely disregards as a global conspiracy for people who "want" global warming, yet when stuff like this pointless article come up, no one wants data to know if it is actually true?

Old 06-01-2012, 12:11 PM   #26
zimmy

by the way... let's not leave out what the guy from the cbo actually said:
"the health legislation will increase the federal budgetary commitment to health care."

It doesn't say kids in Catholic schools will have their premiums double. What are the facts?

Old 06-01-2012, 12:12 PM   #27
Piscator

Quote:
Nothing like the past 2 years for us.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

"I know a taxidermy man back home. He gonna have a heart attack when he see what I brung him!"
Old 06-01-2012, 12:30 PM   #28
zimmy

Quote:
Health insurance companies must have known 10 years ago that Obama was going to quit his job as an organizer of the black panthers, lie about his birth, and do voodoo on his opponents en route to the white house.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	health cost.JPG
Views:	425
Size:	24.2 KB
ID:	52202  

Old 06-01-2012, 02:24 PM   #29
Piscator

Quote:
Health insurance companies must have known 10 years ago that Obama was going to quit his job as an organizer of the black panthers, lie about his birth, and do voodoo on his opponents en route to the white house.
Interested to see the chart from 2009 -2012.
Why over the last 2 years has my employer and my wife’s employer changed the coverage so that a working spouse cannot be covered under the others plan?? That little change now causes our family to have 2 separate deductibles and a much high overall health care cost. One for me and one for my wife. We ended up putting the kids on my plan.
A chart and graph can be spun anyway the maker wants, all I know is over the past 2 years my families total overall healthcare cost has increased exponentially.

Old 06-01-2012, 03:33 PM   #30
PaulS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piscator View Post
Interested to see the chart from 2009 -2012.
Why over the last 2 years has my employer and my wife’s employer changed the coverage so that a working spouse cannot be covered under the others plan??
B/C the companies know that you (and your wife) have the opportunity to get your respective coverage through their own employeer and feel that they shouldn't have to pay the family rate when the single rate is cheaper.

Companies frequently give you $ if you get coverage through a spouse's employment.

Good for the company, sucks for you.