Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Plug Building - Got Wood?

Plug Building - Got Wood? Got Plug?

Old 04-17-2011, 07:45 AM   #1
Rob Rockcrawler

NJ plugs,

Ive noticed that a lot of the NJ plug builders plugs look different than the ones from new england. Skippy, Glitter, Bog Rock, Wade, Cyclone etc... The tails look a lot different, no tail wraps. Are the thru-wires bent on both ends? Im not sure if all the above named makers are from Nj but i think a few of em are. Whats the deal with it, is it just a regional thing?

Everything is better on the rocks.
Rob Rockcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 08:38 AM   #2
rphud
GrandBob

Everything in Jersey is different than NE. "You gotta problem with that!?!?!"
rphud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 05:09 PM   #3
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Send a message via AIM to BigFish
You intimate that NJ guys are not interested in action in their plugs and only care about how they look? Don't kid yourself......those Jersey guys do some beautiful work to be sure but their plugs are every bit the fish slayer as any NE plugs! Sealed plugs are just their preferred method of building.

Almost time to get our fish on!!!
BigFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 05:53 PM   #4
Rob Rockcrawler

Thats good to know. I knew there had to be a reason that the tails looked so silly

Everything is better on the rocks.
Rob Rockcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 07:28 AM   #5
wrikerjr

I am a NJ builder, and I am friends with many of the builder you mention. If anyone believes any of those builders mentioned (or any other builder from NJ) are not worried about profile, action, etc. like a plug builder from NY, CT, RI, MA or CA you would be sadly mistaken.

The NJ method of fully sealing is preferred by some builders because it combats water intrusion. I personally do not use the fully sealed method as I believe the method introduces leverage. You could argue the pros and cons of every plug building method to death. There are many ways to plug build, hydro orientation, screw eyes, through wire, fully sealed. Many arguments can go on and on every day about these methods.

In relation to a piece of history, as I understand it, Lefty introduced fully sealing and lefty was an innovator in the NJ plug building days, before the internet the local sharing was done on jetty tips between plug builders and a guy who made great plugs was often copied to learn better.

I think there are many different plug building methods, you must try them all and see what style you prefer. If you have ever fished a bomber you have fished a plug with a fully sealed method, it is no different. That was pointed out to me by some of the better fully sealed fisherman, and I am not going to argue about the ability of a bomber to land big fish.

Hope this helps,
Kindest
Billy Riker

Last edited by wrikerjr; 04-18-2011 at 07:52 AM..
wrikerjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 07:35 AM   #6
wrikerjr

Quote:
Originally Posted by blondterror View Post
The NJ guys (some of them) are more sealed plugs, epoxied covered tail wraps, and elaborate paint... the NE guys and Cali guys are more into classic plugs where action is paramount not looks.... probably a gross over generalization but some truth to it..
gross over generalizations on public forums do nothing but get you looked at in a negative light, IMO. I know many plug builders and I would say "no" truth to that statement

Last edited by wrikerjr; 04-18-2011 at 10:56 AM..
wrikerjr is offline   Reply With Quote