Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » Kayaking

Kayaking After the frequent attempts at Bribery, beatings, and simply getting towed at Sunrise - S-B opens the Kayak Forums Also see http://www.ultimatekayakfishing.com

Old 01-16-2012, 11:06 PM   #1
ecduzitgood
time to go

Exclamation Bigfish and other PA owners, and maybe any mirage drive owners

I have been researching in order to eventually power my hobie pro angler and have been watching this particular site/forum. I won't post a link to it because I don't think it's allowed, search 'hobiecat' and you will find it.

Last edited by ecduzitgood; 01-18-2012 at 09:31 PM..
ecduzitgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 11:57 PM   #2
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Send a message via AIM to BigFish
Ed?? Why would I want to power my Hobie??? The best part of it is it has no motor! It is everything I want just the way it is. You can post links here in S-B Ed...just not on the other forum.

PS-Can't wait for spring!

Almost time to get our fish on!!!
BigFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 06:18 AM   #3
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Larry, Your Back...We missed you.

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
The Dad Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 07:20 AM   #4
BigBo

Ed. Have you looked at the Bassyaks drives? They have one already available for a year or two now.

The future ain't what it used to be. --Yogi Berra
BigBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 07:48 AM   #5
ecduzitgood
time to go

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBo View Post
Ed. Have you looked at the Bassyaks drives? They have one already available for a year or two now.
Yup, but they are $800 for the kit and require modifications to the hull. There is a guy on ebay selling a black saltwater minn kota short shaft(no head) motor for around $100+ shipping that looks very similar to the one sold by Bassyak.
I don't make enough money to take the easy route so I have to improvise and I am always looking, think of me as an indetured servant if you will
Old 01-17-2012, 09:37 AM   #6
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

try making a "Double T" that fits in the Scupper holes and that you can clamp to the rails for....then attach a trolling motor like they do for canoes.

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
The Dad Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 11:25 AM   #7
ecduzitgood
time to go

Thanks Kevin, I was considering that type of set up, but fear it might get in the way and would prefer the bow or stern mount with remote steering or even the mirage drive location. I have been thinking about a used foot controlled bow mount that I could alter to do what I want and if I could afford it I would go with a riptide type set up with the ipilot (there is one pictured on bassyak site in the photo gallery).
I saw there is a used evolve on fleabay that is at $1200 (over $2k new with no gps control) and figured if it was a member here they may want to think about waiting to see what develops with this guy, who I guess has made many accessories for yaks according to the other post.
I saw another evolve on fleabay that had two batteries which are $600-$700 alone, but once again the price prohibits me from considering it. (I think it was $1999)