Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » The Scuppers

The Scuppers This is a new forum for the not necessarily fishing related topics...

Old 03-03-2010, 06:32 PM   #61
likwid
lobster = striper bait

Send a message via AIM to likwid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
Louder than the diesel generator?
Considering it was on the second highest hilltop on the island with 40 year old inefficient aluminum blades/hub/stator (?)...

YES!

It hadn't been used in nearly 20 years and was on the verge of falling down when they took it down.

Ski Quicks Hole
likwid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 03:38 PM   #62
PRBuzz
BuzzLuck

Send a message via Skype™ to PRBuzz
Indian Wars:

Pocasset Wampanoag tribe supports Cape wind farm

A Wampanoag Indian tribe from Massachusetts is supporting a proposed Nantucket Sound wind farm opposed by two tribes closer to the project.

The Pocasset Wampanoag chairman George Spring Buffalo wrote to Interior Secretary Ken Salazar, who is considering the 130-turbine Cape Wind project.

The Mashpee and Gay Head Wampanoag say Cape Wind would be built on long-submerged burial grounds and interfere with sacred rituals.

Buffalo wrote Wednesday that his tribal elders had never seen or heard about those rituals.

He said Cape Wind fits a vision for energy "produced in harmony with nature."

Minor Detail: Buffalo said his 200-member tribe isn’t federally recognized, like the other tribes.

Given the diversity of the human species, there is no “normal” human genome sequence. We are all mutants.
PRBuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 10:55 PM   #63
Saltheart

Many Green technologies are right on the verge of becoming economical. Many are jsut break even now but would be economical if they were mass produced. Solar cells are about break even and should be money makers in 5 years or so. Wind needs to also get benefits from economies of scale and also newer superconduxting technologies which will make each mill able to generate 10 times more power. I think in the next ten years , many of these things will break through into black ink as costs of alterbnatives come down while costs of fossil based go up. I think their time has come.

Saltheart
Custom Crafted Rods by Saltheart
Saltheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 08:44 AM   #64
striperman36
Old Guy

I say do it. It's better than LNG from Yemen
striperman36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 09:13 AM   #65
likwid
lobster = striper bait

Send a message via AIM to likwid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltheart View Post
Many Green technologies are right on the verge of becoming economical. Many are jsut break even now but would be economical if they were mass produced. Solar cells are about break even and should be money makers in 5 years or so. Wind needs to also get benefits from economies of scale and also newer superconduxting technologies which will make each mill able to generate 10 times more power. I think in the next ten years , many of these things will break through into black ink as costs of alterbnatives come down while costs of fossil based go up. I think their time has come.
Alot of the "cost" are the lobbyists fighting against it. Slowly but surely some of the heavy hitters are starting to become FOR wind power.
I know of at least one that dropped oil and went to wind.

Ski Quicks Hole
likwid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 12:54 PM   #66
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

130 wind turbines, gee the Fugowee race could slalom through the wind farm and award prizes in various events.

It is ironic that O'Bama heralded the start of the process for issuing permits to another nuclear energy plants a couple of weeks ago. Did you greeen guys no that?

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Serial Mailbox Killer/Seal Fisherman
Swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 01:06 PM   #67
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimmer View Post
130 wind turbines, gee the Fugowee race could slalom through the wind farm and award prizes in various events.

It is ironic that O'Bama heralded the start of the process for issuing permits to another nuclear energy plants a couple of weeks ago. Did you greeen guys no that?
1. Oh no! A hazard to navigation!
There was a naval officer (retired) from Europe that came and spoke to the RI concerns about the spacing and size. he was qualified b/c to speak to navigation issues since he had driven a destroyer through a similar wind farm with zero issues and more than enough room to spare. Likwid, can the Maxi sized racers even go on Horseshoe now?

2. Absolutely. Most 'green guys' I know have ZERO issue's with Nuke power. trust me, if the potential is there to build, the industry will develop a method of storing and or reusing the spent material.

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
RIROCKHOUND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 02:05 PM   #68
JohnnyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIROCKHOUND View Post
2. Absolutely. Most 'green guys' I know have ZERO issue's with Nuke power. trust me, if the potential is there to build, the industry will develop a method of storing and or reusing the spent material.
Agreed. Nuclear is far better than Coal, Oil or NG in my opinion.
JohnnyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 02:53 PM   #69
PRBuzz
BuzzLuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyD View Post
I like nuclear energy but there still really isn't a viable, cost effective way to dispose of spent fuel rods. It is my understanding there are hundreds to thousands of rods still to be disposed which have been generated over the past 40 years. Anybody have a different understanding?

Given the diversity of the human species, there is no “normal” human genome sequence. We are all mutants.
Old 03-08-2010, 03:45 PM   #70
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRBuzz View Post
I like nuclear energy but there still really isn't a viable, cost effective way to dispose of spent fuel rods. It is my understanding there are hundreds to thousands of rods still to be disposed which have been generated over the past 40 years. Anybody have a different understanding?
You are not wrong, but I think that stems from the construction of no new plants. Tell that industry there will be more built, here are the guidelines, and the disposal will be figured out quickly. Options are out there.

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
RIROCKHOUND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 03:55 PM   #71
maddmatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homerun04 View Post
simplify life....go back to old ways....no on the the wind farm.....IMO
living in caves??

"never met a bluefish i wouldn't sell"
maddmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 04:03 PM   #72
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

IMO, build them already, what is taking so long?

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
ProfessorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 04:06 PM   #73
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

Quote:
my father in law has his Doctorate in Physics and he says Nuke is the only way to go. I will listen to him, but not usually his daughter

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
ProfessorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 06:31 PM   #74
striperman36
Old Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorM View Post
my father in law has his Doctorate in Physics and he says Nuke is the only way to go. I will listen to him, but not usually his daughter
We'll store the rods on you neighbors farm. It's all cleared out now, so transport and stackin shouldn't be a problem.
striperman36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 06:59 PM   #75
JohnnyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by striperman36 View Post
We'll store the rods on you neighbors farm. It's all cleared out now, so transport and stackin shouldn't be a problem.
Storing spent rods, throwing tons of noxious gases into the air, ugly to look at, drastic changes to the ecosystem - there is a negative to every method of power generation be it nuclear, coal/oil/NG, wind or hydro.
JohnnyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 07:01 PM   #76
spence

As long as it's not in my backyard I don't really care.

-spence
spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 01:03 AM   #77
Saltheart

There are methods for storing nuclear waste in containers that are corrosion resistant for 100,000 years. The basic idea is that in that much time we may figure out a better way.

I have no problem with Nukes for power generation.

It won't be long in the grand scheme of things until sustainable fusion reactors and other new technologies eliminate all energy concerns. With limitless energy we will also someday synthesize any material we want. All we have to do is not kill eachother before that time comes.

I am absolutely sure the technology will solve the matter/energy issues. I hold out little hope that we won't blow ourselves back into the stone age. More than likely we will destroy the planet because we just hate anybody who has a different idea than us about God. A bunch of animals who's loftiest ideas will result in our extinction.

Saltheart
Custom Crafted Rods by Saltheart
Saltheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 07:11 AM   #78
Karl F

[QUOTE= More than likely we will destroy the planet because we just hate anybody who has a different idea than us about God. A bunch of animals who's loftiest ideas will result in our extinction.[/QUOTE]

Truer words were never spoke..

Religion should never mix or influence government, or foriegn relations.
but.. we let it, and ...here we are.. non stop pissing contests over who's invisible man is better...
Karl F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 09:16 AM   #79
Karl F

Monomoy might get wind power

As part of a federal project to renovate the Monomoy Lighthouse, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service is proposing to build a 75-foot wind turbine to generate electricity for the historic structure.

The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service plans an historic rehabilitation of the Monomoy Lighthouse and keeper’s house. Part of the project also calls for a 75-foot wind turbine to generate electricity for the remote site. CHRISTOPHER SEUFERT PHOTO
The project, which is being funded through the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act, will restore the historical integrity of the 40-foot-tall lighthouse, the keeper’s house and an oil shed, all of which are listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The last major work on the structures was done in 1988, and the harsh environment of the Monomoy National Wildlife Refuge has taken its toll.

“That previous work all has to be redone,” said Refuge Manager David Brownlie. Once restored, the agency hopes to reopen the buildings for use by the service and other agencies.

“We hope to utilize it more for our own staff, and in addition, we’re hoping in the very least it can be reopened to short-duration tour stops,” Brownlie said.

The cast-iron, brick-lined lighthouse and wood-framed keeper’s house were both built in 1849. Work on the lighthouse includes exterior restoration, painting, window replacement, cast-iron repair, rehabilitation of interior stairs, brick repointing and repainting. Work on the keeper’s house includes site and foundation work, exterior wood rehabilitation and replacement, window restoration, deck replacement, interior wood and plaster repair, plumbing, mechanical, electrical and structural work. Cost is projected at between $1 million and $5 million.

The work will also include replacement of the old cesspool with a composting toilet and new electrical well, which will require power.

According to Brownlie, two plans are being considered to generate approximately 15 kilowatts of electricity. One is a single traditional propeller-blade wind turbine mounted on a 75-foot monopole. The other is a vertical corkscrew-type turbine, which requires a smaller pole. While the six- to eight-foot vertical turbines will operate in lower wind conditions than the propeller-driven turbine, they only generates about four kilowatts of power each, so four of them would be needed, he said.

Because Monomoy is a migratory bird sanctuary and home to many threatened and endangered species, including piping plovers and roseate terns, there is concern about a turbine’s impact on the avian population. Brownlie said the agency is in the process of doing an environmental assessment and is completing an internal discussion on endangered species compliance. That deals specifically with plovers and roseate terns; the overall environmental assessment will consider other shorebird species.

Brownlie said similar turbines are in operation at several other National Wildlife facilities, and they’ve been monitored for bird strikes.

“It’s a very, very low incidence of even suspected bird strikes,” he said, “and a majority of those have been from starlings who nested in openings in the turbines.” He has seen no documentation of plover, tern or other shorebird mortality due to wind turbines of the size and type being proposed.

“These are not Cape Wind, large capacity big wind turbines,” Brownlie said, referring to the Cape Wind proposal to install 130, 258-foot turbines at Horseshoe Shoal in Nantucket Sound. “They’re much smaller.” However, the turbine will probably be visible from the mainland, he said, and from a “considerable distance offshore, in good weather.”

Monomoy’s huge tern colony is mainly located at the northern tip of South Monomoy (which is no longer an island since it is attached to South Beach), a considerable distance from the lighthouse. Plovers have nested in the vicinity of the lighthouse, Brownlie said, with one nest last year within 100 yards of the structure. Construction isn’t expected to begin until August, after shorebirds have nested and the young have fledged, but any nests near the work area will be more closely monitored, he said.

The project also include making the refuge’s Morris Island headquarters buildings more energy efficient. A vertical wind turbine is also under consideration there, Brownlie said.

“Quite frankly, we don’t know if we’re going to end up with a wind turbine” on the mainland portion of the refuge, he said. Engineers, planners and refuge officials were slated to meet on both projects Tuesday. The headquarters project will also include weatherization of the buildings and installation of solar panels on the dorm building.

Fish and Wildlife officials met with town officials last Thursday to discuss the project. The agency will have to file for permits from the conservation commission and board of health, said Dr. Robert Duncanson, director of the department of health and environment. The biggest concern of local officials is how equipment and material will be brought to the island, he said.

“They’re going to need a lot of material out there for what they’re proposing,” he said. Initial plans call for equipment and material to be brought to the remote location by helicopter, he said.
Karl F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 05:21 PM   #80
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

Quote:
Storing spent rods, throwing tons of noxious gases into the air, ugly to look at, drastic changes to the ecosystem - there is a negative to every method of power generation be it nuclear, coal/oil/NG, wind or hydro.

I wonder if you can turn a spent rod into a lure? Coat it with E-tex.

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Serial Mailbox Killer/Seal Fisherman
Swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 05:41 PM   #81
PRBuzz
BuzzLuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimmer View Post
I wonder if you can turn a spent rod into a lure? Coat it with E-tex.
Replace all the lead used in sinkers/lures with spent full rod material.........all would eventually end up in the bottom of the ocean, cheap form of disposal for the nuclear industry not the fisherman. You could then use the lead to make shields to protect your important body parts from exposure to the lure....

Old 03-10-2010, 06:32 PM   #82
buckman

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIROCKHOUND View Post
You are not wrong, but I think that stems from the construction of no new plants. Tell that industry there will be more built, here are the guidelines, and the disposal will be figured out quickly. Options are out there.
I hear there are a lot of caves in Afghanistan....
buckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 08:58 PM   #83
OLD GOAT
OLDGOAT7205963

Karl F Saved me the trouble about Monomy I,m not going to takes sides on wind power other than to say if it wasn't for the birdy people using the Government light house as a waterfront camp site we wouldn't need the wind turbines in a desolate location. Kerosene lamp and an outhouse could save a few million.
PS Don't tell Capesam he will be crushed
OLD GOAT is offline   Reply With Quote