Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » TUNA & Big Game

TUNA & Big Game TUNA - Offshore Fishing for Tuna and Other Big Game

Old 05-04-2010, 05:28 AM   #31
buckman

Latest information from ABTA;

CITES is over for now, overwhelming defeated by the world, except for the PEW controlled USA Fish and Wildlife Agency. Still, ABTA is working with many world partners to insure that the rebuilding of the eastern stock continues. We have made some strategic alliances with fishermen in the east, agreeing on scientific assistance (normally fully funded by ABTA, now maybe soon to be shared with some eastern fishing fleets). And, pressing for accountability by eastern fishing fleets through communication with organizations representing the MED . farms such as “FEAP” and other Sustainable Use Groups. Seemingly ABTA has been quite (quiet) for a while but I promise not idle. ABTA has been exceptionally active and effective behind the scene where it counts.

The AP meets May 11, 12 and 13th in Washington, Rich, Chris Weiner, Steven James, Tom DePersia and myself are AP members and work to convey the needs of our industry (Recreational and Commercial) to NMFS.

The purpose of this note to you is to request your thoughts and ideas about the fishery. We are still working on increasing the General category bag limit and changes to retainage in the Harpoon category. A concern has also been brought to our attention about illegal sales of undersized fish and we are looking for advice as to whether ABTA should address this issue. Please e-mail to ABTA any concerns you have, or recommended changes to the fishery that you see appropriate.

Thanks for your support Ralph Pratt
buckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 05:39 AM   #32
big jay

For anyone concerned about whether or not abta would fight for access to the rec fishery now that cites has been taken care of - 2 of the reps going, Steve James and Tommy D, have significant interests in the school fishery.
big jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 07:50 AM   #33
Sea Flat

I have only tried tuna fishing for the past 3 years and only a few times at that due to the size of my boat. However, I can say that the half dozen or so times that I get out there I have noticed an incredible increase in the amount of boats targeting BFT. The way that equipment has changed and people spin fishing for BFT has really changed things and made fishing for BFT a little more accessible IMO. I for one would love to actually land my first BFT this year and bring it in for some sushi, but not at the expense of the fishery. I am with BasicPatrick in that something does need to be done. It just sucks that if we do something we know that the sons of $%^&* es overseas are doing nothing and just pillaging.

Sea Flat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 01:57 PM   #34
chathamblue30
chathamblue30

Well said Sea Flat. We all enjoy the food and bringing in a fish but these are gorgeous creatures to catch and most of us would prefer to see the fishery in good health and the charter captains nice and busy even if that means relasing most of the fish we catch with just a quick picture.
chathamblue30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 11:31 AM   #35
Moses

Any news?

Mike Malone
Moses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 03:52 PM   #36
Slick Moedee

The skinny coming out of the HMS meeting last week - we need to lay off of the larger fish 59"-73".

Few ideas were kicked around; compressed seasons, making the daily bag limit a weekly or monthly limit; using a tagging system (like deer). But the idea that seemed to have the most traction for 2010 was a slot limit. This would allow for a consistent bag limit through the season but would constrain the fish we could keep between 27" and less than 59".

Nothing offical yet.
Slick Moedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 08:11 PM   #37
likwid
lobster = striper bait

Send a message via AIM to likwid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Flat View Post
I have only tried tuna fishing for the past 3 years and only a few times at that due to the size of my boat. However, I can say that the half dozen or so times that I get out there I have noticed an incredible increase in the amount of boats targeting BFT. The way that equipment has changed and people spin fishing for BFT has really changed things and made fishing for BFT a little more accessible IMO. I for one would love to actually land my first BFT this year and bring it in for some sushi, but not at the expense of the fishery. I am with BasicPatrick in that something does need to be done. It just sucks that if we do something we know that the sons of $%^&* es overseas are doing nothing and just pillaging.
What do you mean? There's plenty of fish, we need more retarded SOB's posting pics every week of all the fish they killed!

Ski Quicks Hole
likwid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 09:22 PM   #38
Raider Ronnie

Send a message via AIM to Raider Ronnie
As of now last years limits out.
1 fish for now till regs are set.

LETS GO BRANDON
Raider Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 07:05 AM   #39
fishsmith
DDG-51

Quote:
Originally Posted by likwid View Post
What do you mean? There's plenty of fish, we need more retarded SOB's posting pics every week of all the fish they killed!

you post pics of tunas caught on Riptides boat?
fishsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 08:16 AM   #40
Moses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider Ronnie View Post
As of now last years limits out.
1 fish for now till regs are set.
1 fish between 27"-59" or something else? I usually receive alerts since I have an HMS permit but haven't yet and can't find anything online.

Mike Malone
Moses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 10:13 AM   #41
Slick Moedee

Nothing official yet other than what Ron mentioned

The default rec daily limit is 1 fish/day 27" < 73". This is in place until we here some official change.

https://hmspermits.noaa.gov/News.asp

Recreational Atlantic Tunas Retention Limits
The recreational daily bluefin tuna (BFT) retention for limit for HMS Angling and HMS Charter/Headboat vessels (while fishing recreationally) is 1 BFT/vessel/day/trip, measuring 27 to less than 73" CFL. These BFT retention limits are effective for all areas, except for the Gulf of Mexico. The Gulf of Mexico is designated as a spawning grounds for BFT and therefore NMFS does not allow vessels, commercial or recreational, to target BFT while fishing in this area. However, HMS Angling and HMS Charter/Heaboats are eligible to retain 1 BFT (73 inches or greater) per vessel per year as a “trophy” fish for the boat. This fish may be retained in the Gulf of Mexico if it is caught incidentally while pursuing other species. The recreational yellowfin tuna daily retention limit is 3 yellowfin/person/day/trip. The minimum size for yellowfin and bigeye tuna is 27" curved fork length. There are no recreational limits for bigeye, skipjack or albacore tunas.
Slick Moedee is offline   Reply With Quote