Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » TUNA & Big Game

TUNA & Big Game TUNA - Offshore Fishing for Tuna and Other Big Game

Old 04-14-2010, 09:12 AM   #1
keeperreaper
Spot Preserver

BAD RUMOR

Word around town is that there will not be any recreation tuna allowed to be kept this year. WTF.....

Make America Great Again.
keeperreaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 09:42 AM   #2
buckman

Another huge blow to the local economy. When will it end?
buckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 09:48 AM   #3
keeperreaper
Spot Preserver

This will shut down most of the charter community on the cape and all the monies that are injected into the local economy will vanish depressing an already depressed area economically. Unreal. Hopefully it just stays a rumor.

Old 04-14-2010, 11:13 AM   #4
Mr. Sandman

They are selling permits for rec and comm now.

Also, the "charter community" should be under the HMS charter/headboad permit which allows both comm or rec uses.

I would think that if the charter community would not be that effected by a rec shut down to much. Go fishing for 73" fish and release everything smaller.

I had a question about the lic's and what the limits were and emailed the permit shop. They got back to me with this number which might be helpful to flush this out.: (I had not called them yet but if you do let me know what they say)

Dear Jim,

Please call the Northeast Regulatory Office at 978-281-9260 for answers to your regulation questions.

Thank you,

NMFS Permit Shop
Mr. Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 01:48 PM   #5
fishsmith
DDG-51

sux ..
The Meek Shall Inherit the Earth and The Crabs Shall Inherit the Tuna ... via whole dead fish and racks from the world of fillet and release.
fishsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 06:09 PM   #6
Sweetwater
Ruled only by the tide

I've not heard anything like this. Right now recreational permits are being sold under the understanding that the rec limit will be one fish per day per vessel between 27" and 73" and one fish per vessel per year above 73" as a trophy fish.

Not sure if the confusion comes from the fact that all BFT caught before June 1 are catch and release only. After June 1 the regs above apply.

I know a lot of long time tuna fishermen and no one has heard this. I can't imagine that permits would be sold under these regs and then changed during the season, but who knows. I'm wondering where this rumor began...what's the source?

Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn.
Sweetwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 07:26 PM   #7
big jay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetwater View Post
I know a lot of long time tuna fishermen and no one has heard this. I can't imagine that permits would be sold under these regs and then changed during the season, but who knows. I'm wondering where this rumor began...what's the source?

This was a big topic of discussion a the Stellwagon Bank Charter Boat Association Meeting last night.

The regs are always subject to change, no matter what they were when they sold them. They've changed the regs mid-season many times in the past.
big jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 07:59 PM   #8
Raider Ronnie

Send a message via AIM to Raider Ronnie
Quote:
Originally Posted by big jay View Post
This was a big topic of discussion a the Stellwagon Bank Charter Boat Association Meeting last night.

The regs are always subject to change, no matter what they were when they sold them. They've changed the regs mid-season many times in the past.

I was there !
Some change is coming for sure. Recs went 3.5 times over their quota.
They think a shortened season or no retention at all.
There is a meeting mid may .

LETS GO BRANDON
Raider Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 08:19 PM   #9
big jay

I'm going to try to keep from getting too worked up on this one until we get some more information.
big jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 10:28 AM   #10
Sweetwater
Ruled only by the tide

Does anyone know from what source the rumor originated? Has this topic been discussed by federal officials in any public meetings? Just curious.

Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn.
Old 04-15-2010, 11:45 AM   #11
luds
Night Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider Ronnie View Post
I was there !

How can recs end up 3.5 times over the quota? I'm not educated at all on how Tuna fishing is regulated because I don't do it but would hope that the season could be closed more quickly if needed. 3.5 times over quota is alot and I would imagine would represent a long period of fishing past what may have been appropriate. Were those reponsible to regulatine it even paying attention to what was being caught?

luds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 12:01 PM   #12
JohnnyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider Ronnie View Post
I was there !
What was the Recreational tuna quota? As has been stated here many times, Comms consistently come in far under their quota so then what's the big deal if Recs go over.

Just like with striped bass, I have to imagine that estimating the recreational catch of tuna involves just as much fuzzy math and pseudo-science, depending on who's doing the study and which industry lobbies hardest with them.
JohnnyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 12:30 PM   #13
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyD View Post
What was the Recreational tuna quota? As has been stated here many times, Comms consistently come in far under their quota so then what's the big deal if Recs go over.

Just like with striped bass, I have to imagine that estimating the recreational catch of tuna involves just as much fuzzy math and pseudo-science, depending on who's doing the study and which industry lobbies hardest with them.
Should be firmer, especially if everyone is reporting their fish!

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
RIROCKHOUND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 01:52 PM   #14
buckman

I think alot of guys over reported fish last year because it was assumed that if the US didn't hit quota then it would be passed on to another country. I know of guys who reported every released fish. Add in the fuzzy math to a radical run NOAA and bingo, shut it down.

The Commercial guys would be pleased, until they are the next ones screwed. All part of a plan.......
Old 04-15-2010, 05:56 PM   #15
keeperreaper
Spot Preserver

Fuzzy math, non landed fish reported, BS voodoo math and scientists trying to keep their jobs, and a few people who have agendas and political backing= bad news.

What's next if this is true; deer hunting with paint ball guns?

Old 04-15-2010, 06:02 PM   #16
buckman

Quote:
Originally Posted by keeperreaper View Post
Fuzzy math, non landed fish reported, BS voodoo math and scientists trying to keep their jobs, and a few people who have agendas and political backing= bad news.

What's next if this is true; deer hunting with paint ball guns?
At least we don't have to report deer
Old 04-15-2010, 08:44 PM   #17
Raider Ronnie

Any truth to the rumor - Sport Fishing Forums

Some info & discussion.

LETS GO BRANDON
Old 04-15-2010, 10:13 PM   #18
clambo

Rumor

Matt I spoke to NOAA people in Maryland and Mass and I believe thus just a rumor and nothing more. I spent about a half hour talking to guy from Gloucester and he basically said thanks for calling because you can get info from the horses mouth or the other end! The fish we are catching are getting bigger each year and that can mean more weight for fewer actual fish. As of today he had no knowledge of any closure for anyone. Matt lost your tel # when my phone fell in the toilet, PM me with # Mike
clambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 04:38 PM   #19
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

I spoke with a captain I fish with out of Beverly today who told me he heard from a "reliable" source that it will be catch and release this year for tuna less than 73". His source said it should go down in two weeks or so.....and that this was NMFS's trump card they are going to play in the aftermath of the CITES failing to pass.

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 04:48 PM   #20
Mr. Sandman

Let's see where the cards fall.

Last edited by Mr. Sandman; 04-17-2010 at 04:57 PM..
Old 04-18-2010, 04:58 PM   #21
Sweetwater
Ruled only by the tide

Clearly the number of recreational boats chasing BFT in the northeast has increased over the past few years. But the reason is that there have simply been a lot more tuna around. I would hope that NMFS could find a better way than C&R only to manage the recreational take.

I personally like the idea of a tagging system; however, NMFS would then have to police it (i.e., $$). I'd even support something along the lines of 5 tags per season, with each tag expiring in a given month (i.e., one tag for each of June, July, August, September, and October). That would be one fish per vessel per month with no ability to transfer tags to another vessel or carry-over to another month.

At least it would be superior to a no-take approach and allow us recreational guys to keep some fish.

Old 04-18-2010, 11:49 PM   #22
BasicPatrick
M.S.B.A.

Location: I live in the Villiage of Hyannis in the Town of Barnstable in the Commonwealth of MA
Send a message via AIM to BasicPatrick Send a message via Yahoo to BasicPatrick
Hey all......

I was informed that the non commercial (rec and party/charter) tuna catch combined went way over...the number 3.5 times by Ronnie is probably right...make no mistake about it...there will be a corrective management action.

Let's face it...there has to be some cutback...effort has gone sky high. Sure it is because there are more fish but how do these year classes fill in to make up a healthy fisheriy if we blow thorugh the sustainable fishing numbers

Cites was a bull %$%$%$%$ idea and we all know that the overseas catch is pretty much unregulated....however

when we set the good umber and blow by it we have to cut back...

the key will be to drive enough comet to get a new size and bag that we can live with...no catch is unacceptable

I kow all the right people are on thsi already so just pay attention and the organized community will be coming out with info after next months meeting.

"It is impossible to complain and to achieve at the same time"--Basic Patrick (on a good day)

BasicPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 11:56 PM   #23
BasicPatrick
M.S.B.A.

Location: I live in the Villiage of Hyannis in the Town of Barnstable in the Commonwealth of MA
Send a message via AIM to BasicPatrick Send a message via Yahoo to BasicPatrick
Also...I was told there is an ongoing review of the catch data to mkae sure they get it right.

"It is impossible to complain and to achieve at the same time"--Basic Patrick (on a good day)

BasicPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 04:53 AM   #24
keeperreaper
Spot Preserver

5 fish a year with tags would be fine with me.

Old 04-19-2010, 12:14 PM   #25
MakoMike

Don't forget that you guys north of the cape had a banner year, but the fishing wasn't up to normal in NY or southern NJ and they have to take the entire coast into account.

****MakoMike****

Http://www.Makomania.net

Official S-B Sponsor
MakoMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 06:46 AM   #26
Mr. Sandman

I heard yesterday that it will prob take them a year to react to the numbers and this will prob not change much for this season...dock talk
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 04-30-2010, 11:48 AM   #27
likwid
lobster = striper bait

Send a message via AIM to likwid
Quote:
Originally Posted by keeperreaper View Post
This will shut down most of the charter community on the cape and all the monies that are injected into the local economy will vanish depressing an already depressed area economically. Unreal. Hopefully it just stays a rumor.
You mean it'll shut down all the 'me toos' that popped up the past couple years.

Ski Quicks Hole
likwid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 02:52 PM   #28
chathamblue30
chathamblue30

Any new news on the regs Matt ?
chathamblue30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 06:31 PM   #29
Raider Ronnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chathamblue30 View Post
Any new news on the regs Matt ?
May 14th or 15th

LETS GO BRANDON
Old 05-04-2010, 03:47 AM   #30
keeperreaper
Spot Preserver

Supposedly an announcement on the 14th of May. Until then...