Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » StriperTalk!

StriperTalk! All things Striper

Old 04-11-2009, 02:55 PM   #1
Sweetwater
Ruled only by the tide

Diawa Reel Problems

I have a Daiwa EmblemX 6000T spinning reel and am experiencing two problems.

1. The spool travel is so great that sometimes at the end of a cast I can't close the bail because the spool is extended too far out on the shaft to allow the bail to close. So I have to recapture some line (letting the spool retract down the shaft a bit), to close the bail.

2. I've had a couple of break-offs right at the spool (near the roller) when I go to set the hook. Despite the fact that it has 80# PowerPro. Something is cutting right through the line. I've checked the roller and can't find a problem. Also, all the guides are good with no sharp edges or nicks.

Any ideas?

(I'm not a big fan of Daiwa spinning reels, but I got this one at a very good price a couple of years ago from Cabelas.)

Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn.
Sweetwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 03:28 PM   #2
Mike P
Jiggin' Leper Lawyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetwater View Post
1. The spool travel is so great that sometimes at the end of a cast I can't close the bail because the spool is extended too far out on the shaft to allow the bail to close. So I have to recapture some line (letting the spool retract down the shaft a bit), to close the bail.

Any ideas?

(I'm not a big fan of Daiwa spinning reels, but I got this one at a very good price a couple of years ago from Cabelas.)

This one I don't get--the spool doesn't travel during the cast. If you're able to open the bail to cast, you should be able to close it after the cast

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools, because they have to say something.
Mike P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 06:54 AM   #3
redcrbbr
here fishy fishy

Send a message via ICQ to redcrbbr Send a message via AIM to redcrbbr Send a message via Yahoo to redcrbbr
Is the spool loose? I mean like the whole assembly, shaft and all? Did the bail get bent somehow? As for the break offs I'd say check the guides to see if the are cracked (use a cotton ball). Like Mike said spool and bail should remain in pretty much same position.

redcrbbr
of all the things i've lost...i miss my mind the most!!

redcrbbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 09:56 AM   #4
mikecc
Plug Builder in Training

Quote:
I'm not a big fan of Daiwa spinning reels,
Dont blame the brand of reel 2 years old and using 80lb braid. There is no spinning reel made IMO that you should be using 80 lb braid on. Most likely you have distorted the internal gears and bail on the reel.

mikecc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 10:25 AM   #5
JohnnyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikecc View Post
Dont blame the brand of reel 2 years old and using 80lb braid. There is no spinning reel made IMO that you should be using 80 lb braid on. Most likely you have distorted the internal gears and bail on the reel.
I know two people that have exclusively used 30lb braid with very similar problems. Also with both of their reels, the bails tend to flip mid-cast. My guess is the bail spins and hits the nub that sticks up. These are separate issues from the above though.

redcrbbr,

I've had Sweetwater's rod in hand and had one breakoff when setting the hook and 1 breakoff right after hookup when the fish pulled drag. We looked over the entire reel and nothing appears loose or bent. All of the guides were checked as well.
JohnnyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 11:02 AM   #6
leptar
eh! What do you mean?

double check...

triple check the top tip... look at all the guide feet wraps and check the blank for any dings too...

Look at all the parts that would touch the line from the bail arm to the part that holds the line roller in place.. make sure no part of the bail wire has any scuffs or dings...

the spool thing is just a seating problem... incase you swapped spools recently check washers... the above is the schematic to the reel...

Last edited by leptar; 04-13-2009 at 11:20 AM.. Reason: Fixed the link...
leptar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 05:50 PM   #7
JohnnyD

leptar, your link brings up "403 Forbidden".
Old 04-13-2009, 06:03 AM   #8
stiff tip

sweetie

i got to know .......why ????????? do u use 80 pp on your spinning reel ...u know that its brakes at about 100+ lbs.. 30 or 50 is good....try a cotton ball on everthing for nicks..i have a emblem pro 5000 -w/2 spools for canal fishing ..w/ 30 pp. no problems yet ...u have to lock bail against the stop before u cast or it will trip from cintriffical? force from the bail swing
stiff tip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 09:03 AM   #9
Rappin Mikey
My brother is bald

If your bail is snapping shut, use your middle finger to hold it open when you cast. Flip it back manually instead of using the reel itself. I've also had bad spools of braid before with a weak spot every ten yards or so throughout the spool.

seals + plovers =
Rappin Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 04:07 PM   #10
Sweetwater
Ruled only by the tide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike P View Post
This one I don't get--the spool doesn't travel during the cast. If you're able to open the bail to cast, you should be able to close it after the cast
Mike, I get your question and I wasn't clear I guess. I open the bail, make a cast, then turn the handle to close the bail (instead of by hand). As I turn the handle, sometimes the bail, during the retrieve extends beyond a point that the bail can't close.

Does that make sense?

And to other's points...for sure 80# is probably overkill for that reel.

Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn.
Old 04-13-2009, 04:08 PM   #11
Sweetwater
Ruled only by the tide

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyD View Post
I know two people that have exclusively used 30lb braid with very similar problems. Also with both of their reels, the bails tend to flip mid-cast. My guess is the bail spins and hits the nub that sticks up. These are separate issues from the above though.

redcrbbr,

I've had Sweetwater's rod in hand and had one breakoff when setting the hook and 1 breakoff right after hookup when the fish pulled drag. We looked over the entire reel and nothing appears loose or bent. All of the guides were checked as well.
Yeah, JohnnyD is right. Maybe he can describe my problem more clearly to MikeP, since JD has used the set-up a few times.

Old 04-13-2009, 04:34 PM   #12
JohnnyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetwater View Post
Mike, I get your question and I wasn't clear I guess. I open the bail, make a cast, then turn the handle to close the bail (instead of by hand). As I turn the handle, sometimes the bail, during the retrieve extends beyond a point that the bail can't close.
I've found that using the auto bail flipping, as opposed to manually flipping the bail is asking for trouble. I consistently get loose wraps and wind knots when not flipping the bail manually.
Old 04-13-2009, 07:32 PM   #13
Mike P
Jiggin' Leper Lawyer

Quote:
I've found that using the auto bail flipping, as opposed to manually flipping the bail is asking for trouble. I consistently get loose wraps and wind knots when not flipping the bail manually.
Yup--you are so much better off flipping that bail over by hand, especially when using braid. I don't think I've ever closed the bail on my Emblem Pros by turning the handle.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools, because they have to say something.
Mike P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 08:23 PM   #14
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Before opening the bail by hand, pull down a few inches of line over the bail
to avoid a loop on the spool which can put a braid cut in the line when you cast.

Sometimes the reverse happens getting a loop and braid cut before closing the bail
causing a break off at the roller as you set the hook.

Last edited by justplugit; 04-13-2009 at 08:32 PM..

" Choose Life "
justplugit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 09:11 PM   #15
MAKAI
Too old to give a....

Quote:
Oh well,. . . . I will give you two a refresher course this weekend for a few libations. We will start with the snoopy rods and by the end of the day you will be casting those pink rubber sinkers clear across your driveway.

May fortune favor the foolish....
MAKAI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 09:27 PM   #16
JohnnyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAKAI View Post
Oh well,. . . . I will give you two a refresher course this weekend for a few libations. We will start with the snoopy rods and by the end of the day you will be casting those pink rubber sinkers clear across your driveway.
I'll give you a handful of homemade 4oz jigs I made this week for the canal if you *don't* do any of those things.