Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 10-20-2021, 07:03 PM   #1
PaulS

But anyway, may he rest in peace

Is there no bottom?
Old 10-21-2021, 05:53 AM   #2
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Not for Trump, not a moral or ethical bone in his body.
Old 10-21-2021, 06:44 AM   #3
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Stripers View Post
Not for Trump, not a moral or ethical bone in his body.
if only real life were as simple as you wish it were. i don’t like what trump emailed regarding Powell, but he’s not the comic book villain you’ve been told he is, either.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/trump-flies-sick-boy/
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Last edited by Jim in CT; 10-21-2021 at 06:51 AM..
Old 10-21-2021, 07:08 AM   #4
PaulS

What year was that?
Old 10-21-2021, 07:11 AM   #5
wdmso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
if only real life were as simple as you wish it were. i don’t like what trump emailed regarding Powell, but he’s not the comic book villain you’ve been told he is, either.

Sadly he is the comic book character we all think he is ..

He flew that boy for Trump and the brand .. he was just a good PR . He didn’t care about the kid.. and if by chance he was sincere 1 good deed in a life of wickedness .. is meaningless
Old 10-21-2021, 07:16 AM   #6
wdmso

https://www.timesofisrael.com/for-ta...-a-tragic-end/
Old 10-21-2021, 07:18 AM   #7
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post

He flew that boy for Trump and the brand .. he was just a good PR . He didn’t care about the kid.. and if by chance he was sincere 1 good deed in a life of wickedness .. is meaningless
re-read what you posted.it’s like a sitcom script.

“He wasn’t sincere. And even if he was, it’s meaningless.”

so you admit you have no idea if he was sincere or not, so rather than embarrass yourself with that nonsense, just don’t speculate.

Ask the parents of that child
if it was meaningless.

Is it so crazy that we judge someone based on everything they do, not just the bad? i’m not saying ignore the bad, but you’re all
ignoring everything that’s not bad. That’s as biased as it gets. You sure don’t use the same method to evaluate democrats.
Old 10-21-2021, 07:20 AM   #8
Jim in CT

Quote:
https://www.timesofisrael.com/for-ta...-a-tragic-end/
please explain the point of this post. are you saying that because the child died, trumps attempt to help him aren’t noble? or are you saying because the child’s father may have committed a crime, trumps attempt to save his child arent noble?

How is Trump in any way connected, to what this kids father did?

please clarify. and then do a little soul searching.
Old 10-21-2021, 07:32 AM   #9
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Good God, Jim. My hope is when you are old and wiser, you will be able to look back and recognize how dangerous this man is....

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
Old 10-21-2021, 07:44 AM   #10
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfighter View Post
Good God, Jim. My hope is when you are old and wiser, you will be able to look back and recognize how dangerous this man is....
I think Trump, on balance, is an awful human being. Awful.

But a record-number of Americans polled in 2020, said they were better off after 4 years of his presidency. Never before had that many Americans said they were better off after 4 years of a president (Gallup does this poll every 4 years). Which is why I say that even though he's personally bad, the policies he advocated for, are things that Americans liked.

I would not want to live in a country where Trump was a dictator, for sure. Then he'd potentially be dangerous. In our country, with the checks and balances, he's not really metaphysically dangerous.

I don't recall Trump's justice department flagging people as domestic terrorists who express opinions at Board of Ed meetings. Bidens DOJ is doing that. That’s not dangerous?

I don't recall Trumps IRS being used as a club against people who disagree with his politics. Obama's IRS did that. That’s not dangerous?

I'll judge Trump, like I do everyone, based on everything they do. I don't ignore the good (if the potus is in the other party) or the bad (if the potus is in my party).

Nightfighter, was it a good thing Trump did, when he donated his jet (when the airlines refused to do so) to fly that kid across country?

Was that a kind act, yes or no?

Last edited by Jim in CT; 10-21-2021 at 08:02 AM..
Old 10-21-2021, 07:49 AM   #11
Pete F.
Canceled

Is that for the last time?
Old 10-21-2021, 07:58 AM   #12
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
Is that for the last time?
that’s the best rebuttal you’ve got?
Old 10-21-2021, 08:07 AM   #13
PaulS

I'm sure a rich guy like Trump has a foundation. I wonder if I can donate to it?
Old 10-21-2021, 08:09 AM   #14
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
By your measure, Stalin was a great man.

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 10-21-2021, 08:19 AM   #15
wdmso

Quote:
please explain the point of this post. are you saying that because the child died, trumps attempt to help him aren’t noble? or are you saying because the child’s father may have committed a crime, trumps attempt to save his child arent noble?

How is Trump in any way connected, to what this kids father did?

please clarify. and then do a little soul searching.
Read the article I didn’t write it.. it came up in the google search. Seems the Israel times had questions

Also Trump is far from being a noble person .. no soul searching required
Old 10-21-2021, 08:35 AM   #16
wdmso

Quote:
re-read what you posted.it’s like a sitcom script.

“He wasn’t sincere. And even if he was, it’s meaningless.”

so you admit you have no idea if he was sincere or not, so rather than embarrass yourself with that nonsense, just don’t speculate.

Ask the parents of that child
if it was meaningless.

Is it so crazy that we judge someone based on everything they do, not just the bad? i’m not saying ignore the bad, but you’re all
ignoring everything that’s not bad. That’s as biased as it gets. You sure don’t use the same method to evaluate democrats.
Jim you are judging Trump shouting his virtues based on a something he did 28 years ago..

I look at Trump and base my view of his lack of character. On the totality of his words actions and behaviors.

And I was very clear if He was sincere. One good deed doesn’t change who he actually is
Old 10-21-2021, 08:42 AM   #17
wdmso

Quote:

But a record-number of Americans polled in 2020, said they were better off after 4 years of his presidency. Never before had that many Americans said they were better off after 4 years of a president (Gallup does this poll every 4 years). Which is why I say that even though he's personally bad, the policies he advocated for, are things that Americans liked.

I would not want to live in a country where Trump was a dictator, for sure. Then he'd potentially be dangerous. In our country, with the checks and balances, he's not really metaphysically dangerous.

I don't recall Trump's justice department flagging people as domestic terrorists who express opinions at Board of Ed meetings. Bidens DOJ is doing that. That’s not dangerous?

I don't recall Trumps IRS being used as a club against people who disagree with his politics. Obama's IRS did that. That’s not dangerous?

I'll judge Trump, like I do everyone, based on everything they do. I don't ignore the good (if the potus is in the other party) or the bad (if the potus is in my party).

Nightfighter, was it a good thing Trump did, when he donated his jet (when the airlines refused to do so) to fly that kid across country?

Jim seem you missed Trump trying to overthrow a legitimate election. Via his justice department and any other department that would possibly help. But In your revisionists history everything’s equal
Old 10-21-2021, 09:03 AM   #18
Jim in CT

Quote:
Jim seem you missed Trump trying to overthrow a legitimate election. Via his justice department and any other department that would possibly help. But In your revisionists history everything’s equal
trump deserves all kinds of heat for looking into that. i don’t know that he actually tried to do it. i know that in january 6, he told the crowd explicitly to be peaceful
and patriotic, he used those exact words in that day. but for sure, he considered some potentially scary things. which is exactly why i said i wouldn’t want him to be a dictator. i’m not revising history, i’m the one who considers everything he did. you’re the one who refuses to accept that he ever did anything good. that’s revising history.

now can you please answer
my question? why did you post that the kid that trump helped died, and that his father was accused of financial mis-doings?

you posted it, so clearly you saw that as a rebuttal that trump is capable of doing anything good. i’d like to know why.

we have this routine, you and i. i answer your questions directly, and you dodge mine.
Old 10-21-2021, 09:32 AM   #19
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Seriously? You really want to go on record here, where your posts can be quoted and held forth for prosperity, making a case for Trump's moral character based on donating a jet to ferry a sick kid?

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
Old 10-21-2021, 09:40 AM   #20
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfighter View Post
Seriously? You really want to go on record here, where your posts can be quoted and held forth for prosperity, making a case for Trump's moral character based on donating a jet to ferry a sick kid?
that post was clearly response to the post i quoted, where someone said trump doesn’t have an ethical bone in his body, or some such liberal nonsense.

i hate trump. can’t stand him. but the fact is, he’s done some good things, helped some people. that’s simply the truth. that truth scares some people because it undermines their political agenda. that’s not my problem.

Old 10-21-2021, 09:42 AM   #21
scottw

if you didn't know what he said and you read this thread.... you'd think he said "rot in hell"...trump derangement syndrome...you guys know he isn't president anymore....right?
Old 10-21-2021, 09:50 AM   #22
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
if you didn't know what he said and you read this thread.... you'd think he said "rot in hell"...trump derangement syndrome...you guys know he isn't president anymore....right?
trump wasn’t even wrong, Powell was one of the key architects of america’s worst foreign disaster since the vietnam war.

when george bush dies, people
won’t be shy about connecting him to the iraq war. and there’s nothing wrong with mentioning that connection, because it’s true.

TDS, boy. what else are they going to focus on? great jobs reports? low inflation? low crime? a secure border?
Old 10-21-2021, 10:21 AM   #23
wdmso

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
Maybe you should tell his supporters he isn’t president.. seeing you’re not one to pay attention to what is actually going on in the. World . unless it’s grammatically incorrect .
Old 10-21-2021, 10:47 AM   #24
scottw

Quote:

Maybe you should tell his supporters he isn’t president..

I'll let them know at the Insurrection Part Deux meeting next Tuesday night
Old 10-21-2021, 11:06 AM   #25
wdmso

Quote:
trump wasn’t even wrong, Powell was one of the key architects of america’s worst foreign disaster since the vietnam war.

when george bush dies, people
won’t be shy about connecting him to the iraq war. and there’s nothing wrong with mentioning that connection, because it’s true.

TDS, boy. what else are they going to focus on? great jobs reports? low inflation? low crime? a secure border?
Jim echoing the rights mantra

Trump wasn’t wrong

FYI

Jim the borders haven’t changed
Jobs are fine just nobody wants the #^&#^&#^&#^& ones
Crime is crime still lower than decades ago
And inflationary trends are world wide
You left out the stock market is still breaking records

And unemployment is 4.5%

Here are some Trump stats from his term

The economy lost 2.9 million jobs.

The unemployment rate increased by 1.6 percentage points to 6.3%.

After-tax corporate profits went up, and the stock market set new records.
The international trade deficit Trump promised to reduce went up. The U.S. trade deficit in goods and services in 2020 was the highest since 2008 and increased 40.5% from 2016.

The number of people lacking health insurance rose by 3 million.

The federal debt held by the public went up, from $14.4 trillion to $21.6 trillion.
Home prices rose 27.5%,

Illegal immigration increased. Apprehensions at the Southwest border rose 14.7% last year compared with 2016.

Coal production declined 26.5%, and coal-mining jobs dropped by 16.7%. Carbon emissions from energy consumption dropped 11.5%.

Handgun production rose 12.5% last year compared with 2016, setting a new record.

The murder rate last year rose to the highest level since 1997.

Trump filled one-third of the Supreme Court, nearly 30% of the appellate court seats and a quarter of District Court seats.

Biden still got 3.4 years to go but we know how the Republicans plan obstructing anything. No matter how many Americans want it or will benefit from Dems legislation …

Republicans are even against national holiday to vote.. can’t have Americans voting in large numbers they don’t vote Republican
Old 10-21-2021, 11:21 AM   #26
scottw

Quote:

Republicans are even against national holiday to vote..

I'm against all holidays...don't we have enough already?
Old 10-21-2021, 11:29 AM   #27
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:

Quote:

You didn't read the memo, did you?
https://www.documentcloud.org/docume...8-eastman-memo

First of all, the current DOJ is investigating threats to public officials serving in both school and public health positions. A threat to kill or harm is not expressing your opinion in a public forum.

The Trump administration perpetrated widespread abuses of power (including potential criminal acts) both within the Department of Justice and throughout the executive branch. Career staff were co-opted into participating in many of those abuses (although many also pushed back). If there is no internal accountability, the same lapses will happen again – and everyone knows it. The Department, primarily under Attorney General Bill Barr’s leadership, acted several times to aid President Trump politically, interfering in ongoing criminal prosecutions to favor Trump allies, using the power of the Department to target Trump’s perceived enemies and critics, making improper public statements, giving illegal orders to and illegally deploying federal law enforcement officers, being less than completely forthright with courts, enforcing a human rights-violating policy of separating families at the southern border, and generally acting to represent the personal interests of former President Trump rather than those of the office of the presidency and the country (and this is by no means a comprehensive list).

No, He used the DOJ

That's one
Quote:
Why you would praise Stalin and a third of Russians still do:

1. Stalin transformed a fairly backwoods and largely illiterate peasant country into a world superpower(with Nuclear and Space capability) in a matter of 30 years. This is a monumental achievement. For example, a lot of people know about the legendary T-34 tank that was both innovative and simple enough to produce in large numbers. But take a moment and think that producing a tank(or any other complex machinery) requires thousands of parts. There needs to be a ball bearing factory and an engine factory and munitions factory. Not to mention all the raw materials and fuel. Russian Empire had a very limited industrial capability and all of this had to be created from scratch. It’s a huge logistical and organizational challenge.

2. Quality of life. The quality of life for the 90% of Soviet population improved dramatically. Before revolution there were famines roughly every five years. Majority of population was illiterate and had practically no access to healthcare. Child and mother mortality rates were very high. Living conditions were horrid. All of this saw huge improvements and for the first time in centuries there were no more semi regular famines.

3. Pragmatism. Works of Marx and Lenin(to an extent) are all theoretical and have never been applied in practice. Stalin had an ability to shape and interpret them in a way that allowed practical application of socialism in Russia.

4. Humbleness. It’s a well known fact, that after Stalin died, the only material goods that he left were few old uniforms and boots(and some money in the bank from the publication of his works)

The important thing, though, is that all of this happened not because of the meticulous planning, but because of the unprecedented cruelty. Collectivization, propaganda, slave labor of the prisoners, repressions — and the list goes on. In a way, one could say Stalin took the USSR by force. Monumentalism, which was expressed both in architecture and governance, was a distinctive feature of Stalin’s times. It is unacceptable to forget at what cost did the nations of the Soviet Union make these grandiose changes, but it’s also good to know that some of them have turned out to be useful.

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 10-21-2021, 11:37 AM   #28
Jim in CT

Quote:
Jim the borders haven’t changed

Let's stick with this.

Are you going to state here, that the situation at the border isn't different than it was a year ago? We don't have meaningfully more people crossing now? Is that what you're saying?

I'm trying to talk to you Wayne, you make it impossible when you say nonsense like that. "The border" itself, the physical border, hasn't changed, there hasn't been an earthquake that would change the border. But the situation at the border, has changed drastically. And no one gives a sh*t if you can't accept that. America sees it, which is why Biden's numbers are tanking (but Spence says he's actually doing well, so you can ignore that too).

"You left out the stock market is still breaking records"

True, and important to mention. But you would never discuss that when Trump was president.
Old 10-21-2021, 11:42 AM   #29
Jim in CT

Quote:
we know how the Republicans plan obstructing anything. No matter how many Americans want it or will benefit from Dems legislation …
n
Except the Republicans voted for the 1.5 trillion dollar infastructure bill. America wants that, and the Republicans voted for it.

But your side stalled it, tying it to a 3.5 trillion package.

So who is obstructing? Please, please explain how the GOP killed the infastructure bill which a majority of Americans actually want? And which the republicans voted for?

Republicans are ba-a-a-a-a-a-d. Keep bleating it Wayne, Republicans are b-a-a-a-a-a-d.
Old 10-21-2021, 11:48 AM   #30
scottw

Quote:
Except the Republicans voted for the 1.5 trillion dollar infastructure bill. America wants that, and the Republicans voted for it.

But your side stalled it, tying it to a 3.5 trillion package.

So who is obstructing? Please, please explain how the GOP killed the infastructure bill which a majority of Americans actually want? And which the republicans voted for?

Republicans are ba-a-a-a-a-a-d. Keep bleating it Wayne, Republicans are b-a-a-a-a-a-d.
see you at the meeting