Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » Boat Fishing & Boating

Boat Fishing & Boating A new forum at Striped-Bass.com for those fishing from boats and for boating in general

Old 05-26-2021, 06:07 AM   #1
Rmarsh

Shakedown Cruise

I like to go solo for the first boat trip of the season .....so last Thursday I called in a day off.... hooked up the boat and trailer and headed for the ramp. Everything was going fine...then I noticed that my GPS/Fishfinder screen was so dim I couldnt see it.
I knew there was a brightness control but just couldnt see enough to find it and fix it......until I got back home. Other than that the boat ran just fine. I couldnt find my familiar sea bass spot due to the gps problem .... managed to get only two keeper sea bass......and what I'm guessing is a cod....first one ever for this newbie.

Last edited by Rmarsh; 08-26-2023 at 05:59 AM..
Rmarsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 11:41 AM   #2
Moses

Seas look nice. Where's the boat picture?

Mike Malone
Moses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 06:28 AM   #3
Rmarsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moses View Post
Seas look nice. Where's the boat picture?

Ha...I've posted a crapload of pics before....well maybe not this one...shows the amount of freeboard

Old 05-28-2021, 09:01 AM   #4
beamie

Love combings that hit you well above the knee

Years ago I built a clarkcraft mariner 20. Same deal as yours. Glass over plywood.

Put a slant 6 inboard in it. Fantastic boat. I had it for 10 years and sold it to a friend.

I wouldn’t hestitate to build another. I just lack the het up and go enrhusiasm as I get older.

But I must say this picture is awful strange with the 3 suits.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
beamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 12:27 PM   #5
Rmarsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by beamie View Post
Love combings that hit you well above the knee

Years ago I built a clarkcraft mariner 20. Same deal as yours. Glass over plywood.

Put a slant 6 inboard in it. Fantastic boat. I had it for 10 years and sold it to a friend.

I wouldn’t hestitate to build another. I just lack the het up and go enrhusiasm as I get older.

But I must say this picture is awful strange with the 3 suits.
It is a weird picture.....but it made the cut for the wedding picture album.....my son's groomsmen met up at my house before the ceremony and wanted to see the boat.

I love the combing at that height too....very secure when you want to reach overboard.....knees just tucked under it.
Any pictures of the old Clarkcraft?.....would love to see them
Old 05-28-2021, 09:12 PM   #6
beamie

i saved these in a book during the build, this is the late 80's
don't have much in the way of fishing pics after the build.

First time posting pics so have not figured out the rotation thing.

IMG_1694.jpg

IMG_1696.jpg

Jon, 24' Nauset-Green Topsides, Beamie, North River. Channel 68/69. MSBA, NIBA
Old 05-28-2021, 09:16 PM   #7
beamie

pics of pics......long ago pissah boat

Clarkcraft called it the mariner fish and ski 206
I believe the viking 226 was the same hull but 1 station longer in the stern. I would have built that one but didn't know this at the time.

The CC site has pictures of boats that do not match the plans on the same page.

IMG_1695.jpg

IMG_1697.jpg

Old 05-29-2021, 06:35 AM   #8
Rmarsh

Thanks for posting the pics of your build Beamie....looks very sturdy and has nice lines.....I like the flared bow and curvy bow stem.
Heres my boat with the swimstep I added .......my youngest boy goes around 240 lbs.....said he was afraid he would break it....no way.....solid as a rock.

Old 05-29-2021, 07:15 AM   #9
beamie

Did you say before your plans were from the Bateau book?

When I was a kid one of my dads friends build a VeeGull from the glen L plans. Had a 4 cylinder Volvo Penta IO. That was also a good riding boat.
Old 05-29-2021, 07:48 AM   #10
Linesider82

Awesome stuff guys.
Linesider82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 07:58 AM   #11
Rmarsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by beamie View Post
Did you say before your plans were from the Bateau book?

When I was a kid one of my dads friends build a VeeGull from the glen L plans. Had a 4 cylinder Volvo Penta IO. That was also a good riding boat.

Yes....the plans were from Bateau.com..... C 17 model..... but I modified to a center console open layout instead of the cuddy cabin the plans called for.

In a perfect world I would build again....and go bigger!
But my hands are loosing the ability to function without pain after 48 years of construction work. I would need help with the fairing and sanding for sure.
Seems like a lot of boats get started and then stall, be it finances or family/life situations.....It takes a total commitment to see it through to completion.
Old 06-10-2021, 06:49 AM   #12
afterhours
Afterhours Custom Plugs

[QUOTE=Rmarsh;1211398on
Seems like a lot of boats get started and then stall, be it finances or family/life situations.....It takes a total commitment to see it through to completion.[/QUOTE]

Great work guys! A friend built a 23' back in the day- took 6 years and a divorce.

www.afterhoursplugs.com

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Afterh...428173?created

Instagram - afterhourscustom

Official S-B.com Sponsor

GAMEFISH NOW

"A GAMEFISH (WHICH STRIPED BASS SHOULD BE) IS TOO VALUABLE TO BE CAUGHT ONLY ONCE"...LEE WULFF
afterhours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 05:14 AM   #13
Rmarsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by afterhours View Post
Great work guys! A friend built a 23' back in the day- took 6 years and a divorce.

....while I was trying to decide on which boat to build and before I ordered plans for it....an add on craigslist got my attention. Someone was selling a precut marine plywood kit for the very same hull I was considering.... asking $500.

I was still undecided... then the add reappeared at a new lower price of $300. It was a two hour ride and when I got there the seller showed me a pile of indistinguishable dust covered plywood in the garage. She explained that her recently divorced husband was always starting things he couldnt finish.
I hesitated.. then told her I would give her $200 .... she said "sure I just want it gone". I loaded the large pile of plywood parts into my truck and left quickly...
Turns out there was a large piece of the sole missing....cost me $100 for a sheet of marine ply to replace..... .advertised price for the kit is over $3,000..... so it was a deal...or as my buddy likes to remind me.... a steal.
I felt a little bad for the guy...
Old 08-07-2021, 07:56 AM   #14
beamie

I will say this when it comes to building your own 'custom' or 'homemade' boat.

There are some great boats one can build, plywood over glass etc.

But unfortunately it is really all about the passion of doing something and satisfying yourself. For there really is not much resale value in it.

Which is unfortunate for there is nothing wrong with glassed over plywood. But most people get scared of the word wood.

So if you built a 20 footer for 12K, and put a 15K motor on it and had your labor in it. What is it worth? May 15k.

Not gonna get the same as a 20' grady...........

If you have skill and no big funds to buy a new production boat you can build a great fishing boat for allot of sweat and moderate amount of money and have allot of fun doing it.

But like after-hours said.....yes many get started and not finished.

Old 08-09-2021, 04:21 AM   #15
Rmarsh

Beamie...you make some good points.
I never really considered resale value...although I'm sure I could get more than the $3,500 I paid for the outboard.
Building my own boat is the only way I would/could ever own one.
It's definitely not something I would recommend to the average person. I have a long history of building stuff....including a home I built for my bride and I when we married at 21 years old.
I jokingly told my wife and kids I wanted a viking funeral....they didnt think it was funny! Seriously though I want it to stay in the family for as long as it lasts...and it will certainly outlast me.
Also..... I have learned every aspect of my boats mechanical systems....because I installed all of it.

Last edited by Rmarsh; 08-26-2023 at 06:05 AM..