Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 04-27-2020, 08:47 AM   #121
Sea Dangles

Hydroxochloroqine is still being tested for a cure ,this time with famotidine. An ingredient in Pepcid,a heartburn medication. Keep America great!
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 04-27-2020, 08:59 AM   #122
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
Spun, really or was he being sarcastic?

Yes, spun.

He asked "is there a way" to use light or disinfectant. The left and the media went berserk, saying that he suggested people inject it.

GS, for the tenth time, why was it stupid to ask if there's a way, given that we now know that scientists are already working to answer that exact question.

Trump was rambling about how interesting the science is (and it's very interesting). He mentioned that light and disinfectants kill the virus, so he continued the thought and asked "is there a way" to use those things to safely combat the virus? Why wouldn't you ask that that question? Scientists are working right now to answer that same exact question. Are they stupid and reckless?

As to saying he was sarcastic...in his initial statement, your side is saying he meant something (inject yourself with Lysol) very different from what he actually said. But when he says he was being sarcastic, you take him at his word.

So when he says something harmless, you claim he meant something else. When he says he was being sarcastic, you take him at his word.

How about we hold him accountable for what he actually says and does? I didn't like his sarcasm explanation, because there was nothing remotely wrong with what he originally said, unless you are a dishonest ideologue.

The vaccine, necessarily, must include something that kills the virus, right? Right now, there are only so many things that we know of, that kill it. Why in Gods name wouldn't we explore every single one of those, to see if they can be safely used?

What's more lethal - Lysol or radioactive material? But we figured out how to use radiation to safely help cancer patients.
Old 04-27-2020, 09:48 AM   #123
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
Yes, spun.

He asked "is there a way" to use light or disinfectant. The left and the media went berserk, saying that he suggested people inject it.

GS, for the tenth time, why was it stupid to ask if there's a way, given that we now know that scientists are already working to answer that exact question.

Trump was rambling about how interesting the science is (and it's very interesting). He mentioned that light and disinfectants kill the virus, so he continued the thought and asked "is there a way" to use those things to safely combat the virus? Why wouldn't you ask that that question? Scientists are working right now to answer that same exact question. Are they stupid and reckless?

As to saying he was sarcastic...in his initial statement, your side is saying he meant something (inject yourself with Lysol) very different from what he actually said. But when he says he was being sarcastic, you take him at his word.

So when he says something harmless, you claim he meant something else. When he says he was being sarcastic, you take him at his word.

How about we hold him accountable for what he actually says and does? I didn't like his sarcasm explanation, because there was nothing remotely wrong with what he originally said, unless you are a dishonest ideologue.

The vaccine, necessarily, must include something that kills the virus, right? Right now, there are only so many things that we know of, that kill it. Why in Gods name wouldn't we explore every single one of those, to see if they can be safely used?

What's more lethal - Lysol or radioactive material? But we figured out how to use radiation to safely help cancer patients.
If people die or suffer severe intestinal burns, which I already know has happened, then it's a stupid question to ask on national TV and frankly if you kids lives depended on your honest opinion; I'd be shocked if you didn't agree it was stupid.

Believe him if he said it was sarcasm, absolutely not, that's the classic Trump walk back. I know it wasn't sarcasm it was just a lame arse question which should have been asked in private. Had he asked the experts in private, they would have said in their own way, what are you crazy. Then at least, he would have been saved the public embarrassment he so richly deserves.
Old 04-27-2020, 10:22 AM   #124
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Stripers View Post
Had he asked the experts in private, they would have said in their own way, what are you crazy. .
If the notion of using disinfectants is crazy, please explain where there are clinical trials to see if chlorine (a powerful disinfectant) can be used to combat the virus?

I keep posting this. you guys keep ignoring it.

It's not crazy, in fact the scientists are working on it. Also working to see if UV light can be used. I posted links to those trials. Real, actual scientists are conducting those trials. It would be crazy NOT to look into it.

Again, facts and truth don't matter. Bashing Trump matters. What other possible explanation is there? Professional scientists are doing EXACTLY what Trump asked about. So please explain how it's crazy?
Old 04-27-2020, 10:31 AM   #125
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
If the notion of using disinfectants is crazy, please explain where there are clinical trials to see if chlorine (a powerful disinfectant) can be used to combat the virus?

I keep posting this. you guys keep ignoring it.

It's not crazy, in fact the scientists are working on it. Also working to see if UV light can be used. I posted links to those trials. Real, actual scientists are conducting those trials. It would be crazy NOT to look into it.

Again, facts and truth don't matter. Bashing Trump matters. What other possible explanation is there? Professional scientists are doing EXACTLY what Trump asked about. So please explain how it's crazy?
Trials are all well an good, except those happen in the background, where the experts can set up, run and comment. Are you that intent on defending him, that you can't admit his comments on that stage were wrong, stupid and dangerous. You are kidding yourself or just that intent on defending this clown, that you can't be honest about it. The dead will soon be following his advice, it's called embalming.
Old 04-27-2020, 10:57 AM   #126
Jim in CT

Quote:
Trials are all well an good, except those happen in the background, where the experts can set up, run and comment. Are you that intent on defending him, that you can't admit his comments on that stage were wrong, stupid and dangerous. You are kidding yourself or just that intent on defending this clown, that you can't be honest about it. The dead will soon be following his advice, it's called embalming.
"Trials are all well an good'

OK, you're all over the place. In your last post, you said Trump was "crazy" for asking if there was a way to do this. Now you say trials make sense. So according to you, it's reasonable for scientists to ask the question, and reasonable for them to attempt to answer the question. But it's "crazy" for Trump to ask the same question?

"in the background, where the experts can set up, run and comment."

Was trump telling them how to set it up or conduct experiments? Or did he simply ask if it was possible?

The existance of trials doesn't need to be a secret. Nor did Trumps question (and it was a question, not a conclusion) need to be in private, except for your side's reflex to lie about what he says.

"Are you that intent on defending him'

In general, no. In this case, I am intent on defending the truth of what happened. You are intent on attacking him.

JFK bragged, way ahead of time, that we'd put a man on the moon. I doubt Republicans responded by accusing him of encouraging citizens of going up on their roofs with homemade rockets and launching themselves into the atmosphere.

Your side cannot be rational when it comes to this guy. It may well be his path to re-election.
Old 04-27-2020, 11:12 AM   #127
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Arguing with a fool have fun
Old 04-27-2020, 11:13 AM   #128
Pete F.
Canceled

I can tell someone isn't a boomer.
Everyone wanted a rocket.
Lot's of people made them, though the interest actually predated JFK by a few years.

If Trump*s covid briefings were done by a training department or subcontractor for any successful business in the USA, the project manager would have been replaced.
If not after the first one, surely the second.

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 04-27-2020, 11:26 AM   #129
wdmso

Trump was rambling

And that's his problem
Old 04-27-2020, 11:34 AM   #130
Jim in CT

Quote:
Arguing with a fool have fun
You ignored my questions, and lobbed a vague, baseless insult instead. As we all know, that's liberalspeak for "you got me, therefore I don't want to talk about this anymore,"

Trump asked "if there was a way" to use UV lights or disinfectants to combat the virus. You said this was, in your exact words, "crazy".

But scientists also asked this question, and thought it was reasonable enough to experiment on. When scientists do this, you say it's "well and good".

Again, I can only imagine what your reaction would have been, if you heard someone say "I wonder if radioactive material can be used to help cancer patients"?

Professional scientists asked themselves the same exact question that Trump asked, and decided it was promising enough to look into.

You got pulverized here. Pulverized. That doesn't mean Trump is always right, doesn't mean he's a man of character. But your side humiliated themselves on this one issue, and showed very clearly their inability to be a little bit rational.
Old 04-27-2020, 11:37 AM   #131
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
Trump was rambling

And that's his problem
That's why I picked that word, he was rambling all over.

But nowhere, did he even come close, to suggesting that people inject disinfectant. He said that light and disinfectants can kill the virus (which is true), and then asked a doctor if there's a way to use those safely to combat the virus. It's an obvious question which would be insane not to ask.

In fact, professional scientists are ahead of Trump...they asked the same exact question, and decided it was worth finding the answer to that question.
Old 04-27-2020, 11:38 AM   #132
Jim in CT

Quote:
Arguing with a fool
You're right, I am...
Old 04-27-2020, 11:47 AM   #133
Jim in CT

Quote:
Trials are all well an good.
So what do you think Trump was suggesting, when during his comments about UV light and disinfectants, he said this, to a doctor, about possibly using UV light or disinfectants...

"it would be interesting to check that'.

You don't think he was referring to doing research, which you just said is "well and good"?
Old 04-27-2020, 06:30 PM   #134
Pete F.
Canceled

There's always a tweet

Donald J. Trump @realDonaldTrump· Nov 8, 2013

Leadership: Whatever happens, you're responsible. If it doesn't happen, you're responsible.

MARCH 13, 2020

“I don’t take responsibility at all.”
Donald Trump

U.S. intelligence agencies issued warnings about the novel coronavirus in more than a dozen classified briefings prepared for President Trump in January and February, months during which he continued to play down the threat, repeat and support Chinese propaganda.

So he's correct when he said today that "There has been so much unnecessary death in this country. It could have been stopped and it could have been stopped short, but somebody a long time ago, it seems, decided not to do it that way. And the whole world is suffering because of it."

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Lets Go Darwin
Old 04-27-2020, 07:00 PM   #135
detbuch

Quote:
There's always a tweet

Leadership: Whatever happens, you're responsible. If it doesn't happen, you're responsible.

I'm assuming that by "happens" he meant the result of his leadership. Not just anything that happens, someone farts or some previous leader leaving behind some hidden problem.

MARCH 13, 2020

Donald Trump

I believe he was referring to the shortage of test kits or supplies not replenished by the previous administration and the incompetence of the entrenched CDC bureaucracy to speedily produce them. His responsibility would have been to fix that. And he did. Not quickly enough to your liking, obviously.

U.S. intelligence agencies issued warnings about the novel coronavirus in more than a dozen classified briefings prepared for President Trump in January and February, months during which he continued to play down the threat, repeat and support Chinese propaganda.

The "playing down" was done by the medical experts, WHO, the Dems, as well. He did everything his medical expert staff, Fauci, Birx, et al, asked him to do. WHO praised China and supported its propaganda (whatever that vague phrase means). And I don't know what Intelligence was saying and who else besides Trump knew.

So he's correct when he said today that "There has been so much unnecessary death in this country. It could have been stopped and it could have been stopped short, but somebody a long time ago, it seems, decided not to do it that way. And the whole world is suffering because of it."
Yes, I agree with him. If the CCP had stopped travel out of China at the same time it stopped travel inside China to and from Wuhan, we and the rest of the world would have been spared these unnecessary deaths.
Old 04-27-2020, 08:42 PM   #136
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
There's always a tweet

I'm assuming that by "happens" he meant the result of his leadership. Not just anything that happens, someone farts or some previous leader leaving behind some hidden problem.

I'm assuming that english is his first language and that he means what he wrote. A pandemic is not a fart and he was apprised of the possibility of this event both by the previous administration and his own. I'm assuming that if you take the job and the oath it's sort of like "The Buck Stops Here" not however far you can kick it down the road.

MARCH 13, 2020

Donald Trump

I believe he was referring to the shortage of test kits or supplies not replenished by the previous administration and the incompetence of the entrenched CDC bureaucracy to speedily produce them. His responsibility would have been to fix that. And he did. Not quickly enough to your liking, obviously.

There you go translating again, from english to excuse. There were no tests for an unknown virus prior to the tests being developed so how could any prior administration have any culpability in the failure of Trump* and his appointees to shepherd the testing thru the process. That's the job of an administrator, not the previous administration. If he was missing some supplies he had three years of which in two his party had control of both houses and the WH.

The "playing down" was done by the medical experts, WHO, the Dems, as well. He did everything his medical expert staff, Fauci, Birx, et al, asked him to do. WHO praised China and supported its propaganda (whatever that vague phrase means). And I don't know what Intelligence was saying and who else besides Trump knew.
The record does not support your statement. He is in charge, we have a much more robust surveillance apparatus than the WHO and they told him, the medical experts told him and he did not talk to the Dems nor allow any oversight. Trump repeated more Chinese propaganda than the WHO and seems to have forgotten the written and video record of himself playing it down as have you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by detbuch View Post
Yes, I agree with him. If the CCP had stopped travel out of China at the same time it stopped travel inside China to and from Wuhan, we and the rest of the world would have been spared these unnecessary deaths.
Pretty sad to complain that someone else let the horse out of the barn, when you did not insist on independent observers, removed the US government people implanted with Chinese agencies and failed to act.
If Trump* had pushed the development of testing like the South Korean government did by calling in their private medical industry and saying we will need the tests, what do you need from us to develop them and how soon can you do it? Instead he had one of his cabinet take care of it and it seems never checked, therefor it's not his fault?
If Trump* had listened to his advisors and pushed social distancing and other measures weeks ahead of when he reluctantly did, the lives lost could easily have been cut in half.
As it is he consistently fails to demonstrate the CDC recommendations, social distancing is incremental as is wearing a mask. Every little bit helps with community spread. It's not magic and a miracle is pretty unlikely.
He is a far cry from a capable leader, just a whining baby.
And you trust him to negotiate, he can't even answer tough questions.

Lets Go Darwin
Old 04-27-2020, 10:41 PM   #137
detbuch

Quote:
I'm assuming that english is his first language and that he means what he wrote. A pandemic is not a fart and he was apprised of the possibility of this event both by the previous administration and his own. I'm assuming that if you take the job and the oath it's sort of like "The Buck Stops Here" not however far you can kick it down the road.

He didn't kick the can down the road. He acted on that which he had the responsibility to act. And he even took on much of the burdens that the states were responsible for. That it doesn't satisfy you is no surprise. It took a while to confirm that it was a pandemic. "Apprised of the possibility" is slippery English. And the apprising, as far as I know was in the form a pandemic protocol which nobody was acting on. The major portion of responsibility to be ready for a pandemic rested on the states. None were prepared. Nor did they act, nor did the previous administration act in preparation for the last seven years of its tenure. The WHO didn't act. Europe didn't act. No Dems were calling for action. The Press wasn't. All were downplaying it.

Donald Trump

There you go translating again, from english to excuse. There were no tests for an unknown virus prior to the tests being developed so how could any prior administration have any culpability in the failure of Trump* and his appointees to shepherd the testing thru the process. That's the job of an administrator, not the previous administration. If he was missing some supplies he had three years of which in two his party had control of both houses and the WH.

Trump didn't have the expertise to "shepherd" it through the process. But he did make it possible for non-government labs to start research on testing by removing an FDA regulation that prevented it. It took more time because of that and now we have massive testing capability.

What exactly were these warnings you keep talking about? Everybody else was playing down the threat, including the WHO, the Dems, the media, the medical experts.

He did everything his medical expert staff, Fauci, Birx, et al, asked him to do. WHO praised China and supported its propaganda (whatever that vague phrase means). And I don't know what Intelligence was saying and who else besides Trump knew.

The record does not support your statement. He is in charge, we have a much more robust surveillance apparatus than the WHO and they told him, the medical experts told him

What did they tell him?

Trump repeated more Chinese propaganda than the WHO and seems to have forgotten the written and video record of himself playing it down as have you.

Haven't forgot. Didn't make a count as to who did it most. Didn't think that it mattered. If WHO did it more you'd still attack Trump.

Pretty sad to complain that someone else let the horse out of the barn, when you did not insist on independent observers, removed the US government people implanted with Chinese agencies and failed to act.

The administration asked three times to allow the CDC to come to China to help with the situation there and were refused.

If Trump* had pushed the development of testing like the South Korean government did by calling in their private medical industry and saying we will need the tests, what do you need from us to develop them and how soon can you do it? Instead he had one of his cabinet take care of it and it seems never checked, therefor it's not his fault?

The FDA regulation had to be removed. It was. Testing development happened. By that time there was undoubtedly a huge infection problem. And yes, that's China's fault.

If Trump* had listened to his advisors and pushed social distancing and other measures weeks ahead of when he reluctantly did, the lives lost could easily have been cut in half.

Fauci and Birx said that Trump did everything they asked when they asked.

As it is he consistently fails to demonstrate the CDC recommendations, social distancing is incremental as is wearing a mask. Every little bit helps with community spread. It's not magic and a miracle is pretty unlikely.
He is a far cry from a capable leader, just a whining baby.
And you trust him to negotiate, he can't even answer tough questions.
It is up to the states to implement and enforce those recommendations. He answers a lot of tough questions. You don't like his answers.

Last edited by detbuch; 04-27-2020 at 10:51 PM..
Old 04-28-2020, 03:14 AM   #138
Pete F.
Canceled

February 7th
Question: “Are you concerned that China is covering up the full extent of the coronavirus?”

Trump: “No.”
Old 04-28-2020, 06:59 AM   #139
Sea Dangles

Hindsight is great
No,seriously
🍔
Old 04-28-2020, 09:10 AM   #140
Pete F.
Canceled

“Complaining” is not the same as asking why it matters if we are doing more testing than any other country if every American who wants and needs a test still can’t get one.

53 days ago on March 6th, Trump* claimed they could.

It’s fair to keep asking and leaders answer tough questions or depart.

Lets Go Darwin
Old 04-28-2020, 09:19 AM   #141
Sea Dangles

🤡
Old 04-28-2020, 05:12 PM   #142
Pete F.
Canceled

"There is smoking gun evidence that while Donald Trump was telling Americans coronavirus would miraculously disappear, he was being briefed by his intelligence agencies about the pandemic's lethal spread and the threat it posed to American lives"

No way he knew before Congress or before he said anything, he would have paid attention, made sure there were tests and PPE, pushed for social distancing and other available measures earlier if he knew. After all as he says he is a Stable Genius, has a gut to go by and then points to head and makes circular motion.
I think he was just trying to tell us he's f'n nuts but opinions vary............

Lets Go Darwin