Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 08-22-2022, 08:41 AM   #511
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post

Bryan was (is?) literally the only liberal here capable of showing intellectual honesty.

he's pretty awesome...
Old 08-22-2022, 09:21 AM   #512
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

And you two are the shinning stars of the right, to funny.
Old 08-22-2022, 09:31 AM   #513
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Stripers View Post
I never said that, but I can praise or criticize either side when it's warranted. You can't.
Old 08-22-2022, 09:31 AM   #514
scottw

Quote:
too
Old 08-22-2022, 10:38 AM   #515
wdmso

Quote:
you say things like this when you're out of intellectual ammo Paul, which happens to you quite frequently.

Bryan was (is?) literally the only liberal here capable of showing intellectual honesty. Literally the only one. But when someone says that employees don't benefit when american companies are much more profitable, that is someone who is chugging the Kool Aid. Only 2 kinds of people can say that. Either one has absolutely no clue what happens at most American companies, or one is willing to flat out lie when the truth doesn't serve their political agenda. If there's a third alternative, sorry but I don't know what it is. I was disappointed to hear him say that, and that's a compliment to him, not an insult. We expect precisely that from the rest, because that's all you do.

I got news for you and your Komrades, Bryan

Bryan was (is?) literally the only liberal here capable of showing intellectual honesty.

sadly you have no concept of intellectual honesty. but please keep thinking you do and you are intellectual honest ....

You still haven't noticed! Have you... that most of your responses and Post are so twisted with lies and half truths and so outlandish ..

It's the only reason people even respond .... because we live in reality actually go places see the world for what it is .. Not just what Fox news tells us what the world looks like ..

And the proof of this fantasy is the ignorant claim that red state Americans look more like real Americans then Dem states ...

while you lived in a Blue state for 40 years

PS texas 52.06% 5,890,347 are Republicans 46.48% 5,259,126 Dems welcome to the real world
Old 08-22-2022, 11:56 AM   #516
PaulS

Quote:
you say things like this when you're out of intellectual ammo Paul, which happens to you quite frequently.
Actually I find you such a scummy person that I don't like being around you so after a few back and forths I usually stop. If you think that is winning, so be it.

So you do have friends on this site? Have you fished with anyone? Who would you recognize walking down the street?
Old 08-22-2022, 12:02 PM   #517
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
Actually I find you such a scummy person that I don't like being around you so after a few back and forths I usually stop. If you think that is winning, so be it.

So you do have friends on this site? Have you fished with anyone? Who would you recognize walking down the street?
resorting to the Detbuch(and others) strategy....insult him, tell him he doesn't belong here...high horse sanctimony....

classic....

need the other muppets to pile on...this should be fun
Old 08-22-2022, 12:15 PM   #518
Jim in CT

Quote:

"Actually I find you such a scummy person that I don't like being around you so after a few back and forths I usually stop. If you think that is winning, so be it. "

It mutual Paul. So we can drop it or keep bringing it up.

"do have friends on this site? Have you fished with anyone? Who would you recognize walking down the street?"

Friends? No, not among current active members. I used to, not any more, my friends bailed on the site. Does that make you a superior human being? Maybe. Anyway I have fished with several captains here as charter guests - Cohen (several times), Fishbucket (several times), Rich Wood, . Ask any of them if they think I'm scummy. Ask the guy here I never met but I gave a never-used Habs needle to, if he thinks I'm scummy.

Paul, if it's scummy to not like someone who, among other things, says it's OK to call people "retard" who disagree with him, then call me scummy, or whatever you want. I like the air on my side of the aisle where we'd never use that word to slander an innocent and special person. But of course you, being liberal, are above being accused of moral shortcomings. Even when doing something that everyone except you and Archie Bunker would say is deeply hateful.

I stand by my comment that it's very, very stupid to deny that it's generally good for American workers when American companies are much more profitable. If I say "workers tend to do better when their employers are much more profitable", if the left wants to deny that because a Republican who they hate made companies more profitable and therefore helped workers, that's your right. And it's my right to laugh at the stupidity of that. And again, it's a compliment to Bryan, not an insult, that I was sad to see him fall into that trap.

Carry on...

Last edited by Jim in CT; 08-22-2022 at 12:29 PM..
Old 08-22-2022, 12:20 PM   #519
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post

sadly you have no concept of intellectual honesty. but please keep thinking you do and you are intellectual honest ....

Y
Honesty is being able to admit facts that don't help your side. Are you seriously going claim that you regularly do that? Really?

"most of your responses and Post are so twisted with lies"

Remind us, which one of us said the Minneapolis teachers contract had no racial implications? Who was it who said that? Me or you?
Old 08-22-2022, 12:28 PM   #520
PaulS

Quote:
"do have friends on this site? Have you fished with anyone? Who would you recognize walking down the street?"

Friends? No, not among current active members. I used to, not any more, my friends bailed on the site. Does that make you a superior human being? Maybe. Anyway I have fished with several captains here as charter guests - Cohen (several times), Fishbucket (several times), Rich Wood, . Ask any of them if they think I'm scummy. Ask the guy here I never met but I gave a never-used Habs needle to, if he thinks I'm scummy.Charter captains - ok

Paul, if it's scummy to not like someone who, among other things, says it's OK to call people "retard" who disagree with himYou're right I did use the word retard 2x over 2 years ago in regard to all the evangels. laughing when Trump made fun of the handicapped NYT reporter. , then call me scummy, or whatever you want. I like the air on my side of the aisle where we'd never use that word but will throw around the word impecileto slander an innocent and special person. And I like the air on my side of the isle when I see "your" side's policies re. poor people. But of course you, being liberal, are above being accused of moral shortcomings. Even when doing something that everyone except you and Archie Bunker would say is deeply hateful.
So should I use the word impecile like you do? Or say the vile things about woman's look like you used to do constantly (I'll give you credit you don't do that as much any more).
Old 08-22-2022, 12:42 PM   #521
Jim in CT

Quote:
So should I use the word impecile like you do? Or say the vile things about woman's look like you used to do constantly (I'll give you credit you don't do that as much any more).
"Charter captains - ok "

In your mind, guys who fish on boats for a living, aren't capable of accurately judging others, after spending 8 hours with them and their kids in very close proximity, many times? But you can do so from a keyboard, and with an obvious political agenda? Whatever you say, Paul, whatever you say...

"You're right I did use the word retard 2x over 2 years ago i"

We've been over this many times. It's not how often or when, its your refusal to concede that it was ugly. Because as with everything else, it's OK when you do it.

If "imbecile" triggers you, I will try to stop saying it. Ive never heard anyone claim it was inherently offensive, not once, other than you.

"And I like the air on my side of the isle when I see "your" side's policies re. poor people"

Fine. Walk into downtown Hartford and downtown Bridgeport and tell all the residents that you're proud of what the policies you advocate for, have done for them. What you are proud of, is the CNN version of what conservatives want to do with the poor, not the accurate version. Again, that pesky study which shows that conservatives are actually a little more charitable than liberals...since you like to dismiss that because you don't think donating to churches qualifies as charity, explain this little fact...

"if donations to all religious organizations are excluded, liberals give slightly more to charity than conservatives do. But Mr. Brooks says that if measuring by the percentage of income given, conservatives are more generous than liberals even to secular causes."

Even if you exclude all church giving, conservatives donate a higher % of their income to charity, than liberals do.

https://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/21/o...21kristof.html

Last edited by Jim in CT; 08-22-2022 at 12:48 PM..
Old 08-22-2022, 01:08 PM   #522
PaulS

Quote:
"Charter captains - ok "

In your mind, guys who fish on boats for a living, aren't capable of accurately judging others, after spending 8 hours with them and their kids in very close proximity, many times? But you can do so from a keyboard, and with an obvious political agenda? Whatever you say, Paul, whatever you say...So you don't have any friends on this site other than the people you pay. ok, whatever

We've been over this many times. It's not how often or when, its your refusal to concede that it was ugly. Because as with everything else, it's OK when you do it.

If "imbecile" triggers you, I will try to stop saying it. Ive never heard anyone claim it was inherently offensive, not once, other than you.Do a search on it and see the reactions.

"And I like the air on my side of the isle when I see "your" side's policies re. poor people"

Fine. Walk into downtown Hartford and downtown Bridgeport and tell all the residents that you're proud of what the policies you advocate for, have done for them. What you are proud of, is the CNN version of what conservatives want to do with the poor, not the accurate version. Again, that pesky study which shows that conservatives are actually a little more charitable than liberals...since you like to dismiss that because you don't think donating to churches qualifies as charity, explain this little fact...Tell me where I ever said that.
Your (for Scott) a liar.

"if donations to all religious organizations are excluded, liberals give slightly more to charity than conservatives do. But Mr. Brooks says that if measuring by the percentage of income given, conservatives are more generous than liberals even to secular causes."

Even if you exclude all church giving, conservatives donate a higher % of their income to charity, than liberals do.

Big deal. The difference is minimal but if that makes you feel better about yourself - good for you. More conserv. send their kids to private schools and donate there.

Conserv. always look down at the poor and have the attitude that if they have made it, then the poor could also. Private charity is no substitute for gov. policies

When I saw the following, I thought of you as you have said pretty much the same exact same thing (in yellow but copied the whole article to show who the Rs have running in NY for congress) w/o using the word black and instead say "inner cities"

New York Republican congressional candidate Carl Paladino told a radio host in late 2016 that Black Americans were kept “dumb and hungry” so they could be conditioned to only vote for the Democratic Party, saying, “You can’t teach them differently.”

Paladino, then a Buffalo school board member, was defending himself against allegations that previous comments he made were racist and said he cared about Black people, but they had been conditioned to be a base for the Democrats.

“I don’t think of myself in any way as a racist,” Paldino said on local Buffalo radio station WBEN, saying he fought for policies to help Black children while on the Buffalo School Board.

Paladino is running for the seat being vacated by Republican Rep. Chris Jacobs, who said he would no longer seek reelection after saying he supported a federal ban on so-called assault weapons. He faces New York State Republican Chairman Nick Langworthy in the primary.
“Someday, somebody like a Donald Trump is gonna come in and force that stuff on them – OK. And maybe then, OK, we’ll get some change because the Black people deserve better,” he said discussing Buffalo schools. “They shouldn’t be held captive in our inner cities. They shouldn’t be held hungry and dumb so as to provide a base for the Democratic Party, that’s what’s been going on. You can’t teach them differently because they’ve been so conditioned to think that way. And that is so, so wrong. And I’ll fight for that stuff until the day I die.”

In a statement to CNN, Paladino said CNN had taken his words out of context.
“It is not surprising that CNN is once again taking my comments out of context from years ago. Democrats policies have failed black voters and taken them for granted which is why Republicans have a historic opportunity to win huge this November,” Paladino said. “I am proud of the work I did for Buffalo Schools, turning around an underperforming district, and investing resources in predominately African American areas.”
Paladino made the comments on a radio show in which he was defending himself over racist comments he had previously made, and had been roundly criticized for, about then-President Barack Obama and then-first lady Michelle Obama. Paladino had said he would like to see Michelle Obama “return to being a male and let loose in the outback of Zimbabwe where she lives comfortably in a cave with Maxie, the gorilla,” and that he hoped Barack Obama would die of Mad Cow Disease after having sex with a cow.
He had made the comments about the Obamas to ArtVoice.com, but later said he meant to send it to friends. He originally defended the comment, on the radio show, before apologizing.
A since-deleted Twitter account, which Paladino used until January 2021, also reveals a host of sexist and explicit comments.
On May 16, 2020, Paladino disparaged a woman who accused former President Donald Trump of sexual assault tweeting, “get a life. You probably enjoyed the slap at the time.” Another tweet that day called the Buffalo News “a #^&#^&#^&#^&bag newspaper.”
Paladino, a Buffalo-based real estate developer who previously ran for New York governor in 2010, entered the congressional race in early June, shortly after Republican Rep. Chris Jacobs announced he would not run for reelection in the newly redrawn district in lieu of intense political backlash for supporting a federal assault weapons ban following the Buffalo mass shooting.
Shortly after Paladino entered the race, the left-leaning Media Matters reported Paladino shared posts on Facebook calling the mass shootings in Buffalo and Uvalde, Texas, “false flag” attacks orchestrated to revoke the Second Amendment and take away guns to help Democrats. Paladino initially claimed he didn’t know how the posts got there, but later said he “carelessly” shared the post and later deleted his Facebook account.
Last week, Media Matters also reported that Paladino praised the leadership of Adolf Hitler for “how he aroused the crowds,” calling Hitler “the kind of leader we need today. We need somebody inspirational.” Paladino tried to clarify his comments, insisting that he was speaking about Hitler’s popularity. Paladino told the Buffalo News that he understood “invoking Hitler in any context is a serious mistake and rightfully upsets people. I strongly condemn the murderous atrocities committed against the Jewish people by Hitler and the Nazis.
Paladino quickly earned the endorsement of upstate New York Republican Rep. Elise Stefanik, who is the third-ranked Republican in the House and has kept her endorsement despite his recent
Old 08-22-2022, 01:10 PM   #523
PaulS

Quote:
"Charter captains - ok "

In your mind, guys who fish on boats for a living, aren't capable of accurately judging others, after spending 8 hours with them and their kids in very close proximity, many times? But you can do so from a keyboardanyone reading posts here will see your constant insults., and with an obvious political agenda? Whatever you say, Paul, whatever you say...So you don't have any friends on this site other than the people you pay. ok, whatever

If "imbecile" triggers you, I will try to stop saying it. Ive never heard anyone claim it was inherently offensive, not once, other than you.Do a search on it and see the reactions.

Fine. Walk into downtown Hartford and downtown Bridgeport and tell all the residents that you're proud of what the policies you advocate for, have done for them. What you are proud of, is the CNN version of what conservatives want to do with the poor, not the accurate version. Again, that pesky study which shows that conservatives are actually a little more charitable than liberals...since you like to dismiss that because you don't think donating to churches qualifies as charity, explain this little fact...Tell me where I ever said that.
Your (for Scott) a liar.

Big deal. The difference is minimal but if that makes you feel better about yourself - good for you. More conserv. send their kids to private schools and donate there.

Conserv. always look down at the poor and have the attitude that if they have made it, then the poor could also. Private charity is no substitute for gov. policies

When I saw the following, I thought of you as you have said pretty much the same exact same thing (in yellow but copied the whole article to show who the Rs have running in NY for congress) w/o using the word black and instead say "inner cities"

New York Republican congressional candidate Carl Paladino told a radio host in late 2016 that Black Americans were kept “dumb and hungry” so they could be conditioned to only vote for the Democratic Party, saying, “You can’t teach them differently.”

Paladino, then a Buffalo school board member, was defending himself against allegations that previous comments he made were racist and said he cared about Black people, but they had been conditioned to be a base for the Democrats.

“I don’t think of myself in any way as a racist,” Paldino said on local Buffalo radio station WBEN, saying he fought for policies to help Black children while on the Buffalo School Board.

Paladino is running for the seat being vacated by Republican Rep. Chris Jacobs, who said he would no longer seek reelection after saying he supported a federal ban on so-called assault weapons. He faces New York State Republican Chairman Nick Langworthy in the primary.
“Someday, somebody like a Donald Trump is gonna come in and force that stuff on them – OK. And maybe then, OK, we’ll get some change because the Black people deserve better,” he said discussing Buffalo schools. “They shouldn’t be held captive in our inner cities. They shouldn’t be held hungry and dumb so as to provide a base for the Democratic Party, that’s what’s been going on. You can’t teach them differently because they’ve been so conditioned to think that way. And that is so, so wrong. And I’ll fight for that stuff until the day I die.”

In a statement to CNN, Paladino said CNN had taken his words out of context.
“It is not surprising that CNN is once again taking my comments out of context from years ago. Democrats policies have failed black voters and taken them for granted which is why Republicans have a historic opportunity to win huge this November,” Paladino said. “I am proud of the work I did for Buffalo Schools, turning around an underperforming district, and investing resources in predominately African American areas.”
Paladino made the comments on a radio show in which he was defending himself over racist comments he had previously made, and had been roundly criticized for, about then-President Barack Obama and then-first lady Michelle Obama. Paladino had said he would like to see Michelle Obama “return to being a male and let loose in the outback of Zimbabwe where she lives comfortably in a cave with Maxie, the gorilla,” and that he hoped Barack Obama would die of Mad Cow Disease after having sex with a cow.
He had made the comments about the Obamas to ArtVoice.com, but later said he meant to send it to friends. He originally defended the comment, on the radio show, before apologizing.
A since-deleted Twitter account, which Paladino used until January 2021, also reveals a host of sexist and explicit comments.
On May 16, 2020, Paladino disparaged a woman who accused former President Donald Trump of sexual assault tweeting, “get a life. You probably enjoyed the slap at the time.” Another tweet that day called the Buffalo News “a #^&#^&#^&#^&bag newspaper.”
Paladino, a Buffalo-based real estate developer who previously ran for New York governor in 2010, entered the congressional race in early June, shortly after Republican Rep. Chris Jacobs announced he would not run for reelection in the newly redrawn district in lieu of intense political backlash for supporting a federal assault weapons ban following the Buffalo mass shooting.
Shortly after Paladino entered the race, the left-leaning Media Matters reported Paladino shared posts on Facebook calling the mass shootings in Buffalo and Uvalde, Texas, “false flag” attacks orchestrated to revoke the Second Amendment and take away guns to help Democrats. Paladino initially claimed he didn’t know how the posts got there, but later said he “carelessly” shared the post and later deleted his Facebook account.
Last week, Media Matters also reported that Paladino praised the leadership of Adolf Hitler for “how he aroused the crowds,” calling Hitler “the kind of leader we need today. We need somebody inspirational.” Paladino tried to clarify his comments, insisting that he was speaking about Hitler’s popularity. Paladino told the Buffalo News that he understood “invoking Hitler in any context is a serious mistake and rightfully upsets people. I strongly condemn the murderous atrocities committed against the Jewish people by Hitler and the Nazis.
Paladino quickly earned the endorsement of upstate New York Republican Rep. Elise Stefanik, who is the third-ranked Republican in the House and has kept her endorsement despite his recent
Old 08-22-2022, 01:21 PM   #524
PaulS

Quick search

Over three-quarters of US charities’ revenues come from donations by individuals, and we used these individual giving decisions to learn about differences in “apolitical” behaviour by partisans. In three surveys, we asked whether Republicans and conservatives give more or less to charity than Democrats and liberals. While political identity and giving are measured slightly differently across the surveys, the results are consistent: Republicans and conservatives report donating between $60 and $160 more per year to charity than Democrats and liberals. This result holds even when we account for socio-economic measures that are correlated both with political identity and charitable giving. The baseline difference in giving behaviour comports with what others have found: partisanship is a dividing line not only in terms of choosing candidates and policies, but also in how partisans spend their disposable income.

Having established the difference, we next wanted to know why a partisan gap in giving appears. We tested three potential explanations – religious identity, political beliefs, and economic status.

We found the strongest support for the religious explanation. Republicans are not only more likely to attend church than Democrats, but church attendance – among Democrats and Republicans alike – is strongly associated with charitable giving. Gaps in giving, therefore, are linked to differences in the social composition of the parties, in which the average Republican is more religious than the average Democrat. Moreover, the overall giving gap emerges because Republicans donate more to their own religious congregations, rather than nationally active religious charities. Republicans and Democrats give roughly equal amounts to religious organisations aside from their own congregations, and we also find some evidence that Democrats donate more to non-religious organisations than Republicans. In other words, the baseline difference in charitable giving emerges because Republicans are more religious than Democrats, and religious people donate generously to their religious congregations.

We find no support for the claim that political beliefs drive differences in giving. It is possible that Republicans donate more to charity due to their ideological beliefs – indeed, conservative politicians in the US often claim that the government should get out of the way and let the charitable sector provide services. Republicans on our surveys might signal their opposition to income redistribution and support for private service provision by donating to charitable causes, substituting donation behaviour for support for government redistribution. Borrowing from Ellis and Stimson’s distinction between symbolic conservatives – those who merely call themselves conservative, but do not oppose government redistribution – and operational conservatives – those who hold conservative beliefs about the role of government – we find no evidence that political beliefs explain why Republicans donate more than Democrats. Republicans who are strong operational conservatives, and therefore oppose government redistribution the most, do not give any more or less to charity than Republicans who support government redistribution. Thus, Republicans do not donate more to express their preference for private service provision over large government social service programmes.

Third, we tested whether Republicans donate more than Democrats due to a differing desire to signal high economic status, which is one of the explanations for the differences in baby names cited above. But we find little evidence that changing economic evaluations cause changes in levels of anticipated giving in the short term. Using the 2012 presidential election as a natural experiment, we show that Republicans’ perceptions of their economic status, as well as their reported spending on vacations, declined following the re-election of Democrat Barack Obama. However, giving behaviour was unaffected by the election, reinforcing our conclusion that differences in giving come from differences in religiosity, not politics or economics.

Our findings have important implications for how we think about politics and charitable giving. It is a fact that there are differences in giving patterns between Democrats and Republicans. However, these differences stem from underlying differences in the social compositions of the parties, rather than from differences in ideological beliefs or a desire to signal status. In particular, the partisan gap appears because of a difference in a very specific type of giving, donating to one’s own congregation or house of worship. We find no conservative advantage when it comes to non-religious charities, or even religious charities beyond one’s own congregation. The large religiosity gap that exists in American politics today, coupled with the tendency of religious Americans to donate to their own churches, helps explain the overall partisan difference in charitable giving. To the extent that Republicans and Democrats are culturally divided, these divisions appear to have little, if anything to do with disagreements about public policy.
Old 08-22-2022, 01:24 PM   #525
PaulS

Another article

https://nonprofitquarterly.org/repub...er-story-here/

The political differences between Republicans and Democrats don’t play out solely at the ballot box; they also predict how likely people are to donate to charity. This finding from a newly published research project reflects a key difference, one tied to political affiliation, about how our nation should take on critical social issues like homelessness, poverty, and health care. The data also suggest that in times of political strife, both parties’ supporters pull back, making problem-solving harder.

Using voting and IRS data for the residents of 3,000 counties across the nation, the four-professor research team found, according to the New York Times, that counties which are “overwhelmingly Republican” report higher charitable contributions than Democratic-dominated counties, although “giving in blue counties is often bolstered by a combination of charitable donations and higher taxes. But as red or blue counties become more politically competitive, charitable giving tends to fall.” The full study was recently published in the Nonprofit and Voluntary Sector Quarterly.

One could conclude this shows the Republican party is, despite the conventional wisdom, the party that cares about those in need and puts its money where its mouth is. But the true picture is more complex, reflecting at best a real difference between the parties in the best way to approach the challenge of human need. Because the range of organizations and activities that are supported by tax deductible giving is very wide, it is not clear how these funds are actually used or what motives they reflect.

Republicans do give more, but where that money ends up is not yet clear. One of the study’s authors, Rebecca Nesbit, associate professor of public administration and policy at the University of Georgia, told the New York Times that Republicans prefer to “provide for the collective good through private institutions. But we don’t know what type of institutions they’re giving to.” It also wasn’t obvious “whether donors were being purely generous or whether they would also benefit from their donation. This relationship is called consumption philanthropy, in which people give to a religious organization or a school from which they will derive a benefit in the form of, say, a better religious education program or a new gymnasium.” Giving to a food bank or a homeless shelter has a very different outcome than does giving to a private school.

While red counties may be more philanthropic, tax rates are higher in blue counties, reflecting stronger support for collective action and for a social safety net of services and organizations. “The county you live in and the political ideology of that county affects the tax burden of the community,” Dr. Nesbit said. “That in turn has an effect on charitable contributions. If you leave tax burden out of the equation, you’re not getting the full story.”

Importantly, the study did not find that in Republican counties, private funds replaced public funds so that social services were equally supported.

Those in favor of lower taxes have argued that individuals are more capable than the government of allocating money to important causes, including people in need of assistance. But the study found that was not true. Donations do not match government assistance, and without tax money, social services are not funded as robustly.

“The evidence shows that private philanthropy can’t compensate for the loss of government provision,” Dr. Nesbit said. “It’s not equal. What government can put into these things is so much more than what we see through private philanthropy.”

Most concerning in this moment of high political strife is the finding that everyone pulls back in areas where political division is high: “When counties are split evenly between the political parties, both donations and the tax burden go down. Or in the study’s terms: Political competition decreases giving.” This does not bode well for organizations whose work is holding up a part of the social safety net, nor for the people they serve.

As we see very graphically on a national level, split electorates and the split governments they elect have difficulty enacting polices and laws to support democratic approaches to collective action. The publicly funded portion of the safety net weakens. If Republicans, who may be more individually ready than their Democratic neighbors, do not make growing charitable donations for these same purposes, philanthropy will not provide the solution, either.—Marty Levine
Old 08-22-2022, 01:29 PM   #526
Jim in CT

Quote:
Quick search

Over three-quarters of US charities’ revenues come from donations by individuals, and we used these individual giving decisions to learn about differences in “apolitical” behaviour by partisans. In three surveys, we asked whether Republicans and conservatives give more or less to charity than Democrats and liberals. While political identity and giving are measured slightly differently across the surveys, the results are consistent: Republicans and conservatives report donating between $60 and $160 more per year to charity than Democrats and liberals. This result holds even when we account for socio-economic measures that are correlated both with political identity and charitable giving. The baseline difference in giving behaviour comports with what others have found: partisanship is a dividing line not only in terms of choosing candidates and policies, but also in how partisans spend their disposable income.

Having established the difference, we next wanted to know why a partisan gap in giving appears. We tested three potential explanations – religious identity, political beliefs, and economic status.

We found the strongest support for the religious explanation. Republicans are not only more likely to attend church than Democrats, but church attendance – among Democrats and Republicans alike – is strongly associated with charitable giving. Gaps in giving, therefore, are linked to differences in the social composition of the parties, in which the average Republican is more religious than the average Democrat. Moreover, the overall giving gap emerges because Republicans donate more to their own religious congregations, rather than nationally active religious charities. Republicans and Democrats give roughly equal amounts to religious organisations aside from their own congregations, and we also find some evidence that Democrats donate more to non-religious organisations than Republicans. In other words, the baseline difference in charitable giving emerges because Republicans are more religious than Democrats, and religious people donate generously to their religious congregations.

We find no support for the claim that political beliefs drive differences in giving. It is possible that Republicans donate more to charity due to their ideological beliefs – indeed, conservative politicians in the US often claim that the government should get out of the way and let the charitable sector provide services. Republicans on our surveys might signal their opposition to income redistribution and support for private service provision by donating to charitable causes, substituting donation behaviour for support for government redistribution. Borrowing from Ellis and Stimson’s distinction between symbolic conservatives – those who merely call themselves conservative, but do not oppose government redistribution – and operational conservatives – those who hold conservative beliefs about the role of government – we find no evidence that political beliefs explain why Republicans donate more than Democrats. Republicans who are strong operational conservatives, and therefore oppose government redistribution the most, do not give any more or less to charity than Republicans who support government redistribution. Thus, Republicans do not donate more to express their preference for private service provision over large government social service programmes.

Third, we tested whether Republicans donate more than Democrats due to a differing desire to signal high economic status, which is one of the explanations for the differences in baby names cited above. But we find little evidence that changing economic evaluations cause changes in levels of anticipated giving in the short term. Using the 2012 presidential election as a natural experiment, we show that Republicans’ perceptions of their economic status, as well as their reported spending on vacations, declined following the re-election of Democrat Barack Obama. However, giving behaviour was unaffected by the election, reinforcing our conclusion that differences in giving come from differences in religiosity, not politics or economics.

Our findings have important implications for how we think about politics and charitable giving. It is a fact that there are differences in giving patterns between Democrats and Republicans. However, these differences stem from underlying differences in the social compositions of the parties, rather than from differences in ideological beliefs or a desire to signal status. In particular, the partisan gap appears because of a difference in a very specific type of giving, donating to one’s own congregation or house of worship. We find no conservative advantage when it comes to non-religious charities, or even religious charities beyond one’s own congregation. The large religiosity gap that exists in American politics today, coupled with the tendency of religious Americans to donate to their own churches, helps explain the overall partisan difference in charitable giving. To the extent that Republicans and Democrats are culturally divided, these divisions appear to have little, if anything to do with disagreements about public policy.
Paul, YOU are the one saying that republicans care less about the poor. There's no evidence that's true, other than your desperate wish for it to be true. The study I posted shows the 2 sides give about the same, so no big difference.

"Conserv. always look down at the poor"

Then please explain the stance taken by each side, regarding school choice. I'll wait.

"Tell me where I ever said that.
Your (for Scott) a liar."

You're claiming , that you have never dismissed the results of the "Who Really Cares" study, on the basis that the difference is largely due to giving to churches. You've never once said that? Is that what you're saying I made up? Because every single time I bring up that study, you say something like "that's only because republicans give more to their church..."

I can't read that yellow font., sorry...
Old 08-22-2022, 01:37 PM   #527
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
too
two as in two guys, I'm worried about you Scott, this obsession with spelling is fogging your brain.
Old 08-22-2022, 01:43 PM   #528
PaulS

Quote:
Paul, YOU are the one saying that republicans care less about the poor.and it is reflected in their being more concerned w/low taxes There's no evidence that's true, other than your desperate wish for it to be true. The study I posted shows the 2 sides give about the same, so no big difference.But yet you are the one always saying that cons. give more to charity than liberals! I don't bring up charity - you do!!!

"Conserv. always look down at the poor"

Then please explain the stance taken by each side, regarding school choice. I'll wait.Liberals want to make the public schools stronger. Cons. want the ability to go to private schools and want the cities to subsidize their tuition.

"Tell me where I ever said that.
Your (for Scott) a liar."

You're claiming , that you have never dismissed the results of the "Who Really Cares" study, on the basis that the difference is largely due to giving to churches. You've never once said that? Is that what you're saying I made up? Because every single time I bring up that study, you say something like "that's only because republicans give more to their church..."

You said "since you like to dismiss that because you don't think donating to churches qualifies as charity" I have never said it doesn't count as charity - just that the difference between lib/cons. giving is that cons. give to their church. Some of the studies I posted show that. One thing I learned is that the giving is not to the national church but to the local congregation.

I can't read that yellow font., sorry...
Run your curser over the text. I shouldn't have used yellow
Old 08-22-2022, 01:48 PM   #529
PaulS

And I think a lot of people lie about how much they give to charity.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 08-22-2022, 01:57 PM   #530
Jim in CT

Quote:
do both republicans and democrats lie about it, or just republicans?
Old 08-22-2022, 02:17 PM   #531
PaulS

Quote:
I never said Republicans as I don't know. When I see stats on annual giving I just don't believe the average person gives those amounts.
Old 08-22-2022, 02:26 PM   #532
scottw

Quote:
two as in two guys, I'm worried about you Scott, this obsession with spelling is fogging your brain.
Quote:

so you meant "two funny"...?

OK....you are worried about me
Old 08-22-2022, 02:29 PM   #533
scottw

Quote:

Quote:
When I see stats on annual giving I just don't believe the average person gives those amounts.

you could fit in perfectly with the new Brandon IRS Gestapo
Old 08-22-2022, 02:31 PM   #534
scottw

Quote:
everybody except paul is apparently suspect....
Old 08-22-2022, 03:16 PM   #535
PaulS

Quote:
everybody except paul is apparently suspect....
No need to lie as I ran most of it through my companies match. Allowed me to itemize my deductions last year *and this year and lower what I owe.

Damn local animal shelter never responded to my companies multiple requests to get an additional $500 match that was sent in for a cousin's sudden passing.

Of course work won't match my church dues/donations
Old 08-22-2022, 04:54 PM   #536
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Quote:
Quote:

so you meant "two funny"...?

OK....you are worried about me
I am because you seem to be so devoid of quality activities in your life, you live for the one liner and hopefully a shot at correcting someone who frankly couldn’t care less if auto fill on the computer didn’t fill it in as you intended, all on a web site consisting of a dozen guys. Sad really, maybe there are community programs you can get involved in, could help fill those hours you can’t see new posts to jump on.
Old 08-22-2022, 07:17 PM   #537
scottw

Quote:

I am because you seem to be so devoid of quality activities in your life,

definitely....
Old 08-22-2022, 07:38 PM   #538
Pete F.
Canceled

Roevember is coming

If you think it won’t happen, look at what happened in Ireland about the abortion issue.
Old 08-23-2022, 06:00 AM   #539
Jim in CT

Quote:
Run your curser over the text. I shouldn't have used yellow
ok, you say liberals want to deny school choice, and instead make public schools stronger?

the inner city public schools will take a long time to be made stronger, so why not offer choice until those schools are made stronger?

Obvious answer, liberals want to protect their union benefactors, even at the expense of the educational future of those kids. Thats irrefutable.

The poor people in those cities desperately want school choice paul. when school choice is offered, do you think no parents jump at the chance, or do you think demand is high? If you care about poor people, why not let the ones who are currently stuck in crappy schools, choose an alternative that is better for their children? you think it’s better to tell them “don’t worry, some day this school will be better”? That’s better for poor people?

And those schools can’t be made stronger by liberals, because liberals equate “stronger” with more funding. Urban schools
don’t stink because of a lack of spending. We spend a fortune on urban schools in CT. They stink because of the erosion of the family in urban areas, and that’s not a problem that can be fixed by throwing money at it. I wish it were that simple. But it’s not.
Old 08-23-2022, 07:09 AM   #540
PaulS

Quote:
ok, you say liberals want to deny school choice, and instead make public schools stronger?

the inner city public schools will take a long time to be made stronger, so why not offer choice until those schools are made stronger?

Obvious answer, liberals want to protect their union benefactors, even at the expense of the educational future of those kids. Thats irrefutable. What is irrefutable is that you want me to help subsidize your kids going to private school.

The poor people in those cities desperately want school choice paul. when school choice is offered, do you think no parents jump at the chance, or do you think demand is high? If you care about poor people, why not let the ones who are currently stuck in crappy schools, choose an alternative that is better for their children? you think it’s better to tell them “don’t worry, some day this school will be better”? That’s better for poor people?

And those schools can’t be made stronger by liberals, because liberals equate “stronger” with more funding. Urban schools
don’t stink because of a lack of spending. We spend a fortune on urban schools in CT. They stink because of the erosion of the family in urban areas, and that’s not a problem that can be fixed by throwing money at it. I wish it were that simple. But it’s not.
As soon as you subsidize my ability to join a private country club instead of the local town owned course I might change my mind.