Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » StriperTalk!

StriperTalk! All things Striper

Old 03-19-2009, 05:11 AM   #31
stiff tip

good artical

NIB ...as i said in the past ,that u understand alot about canal fishing its flow w/current. i got about 25 yrs of passing b-t jigs along the cc canal bottom and your artical was right on.you have to work your jig to the speed and depth of the canal . also free spooling is very important for the drop back stike. braid is the best for jiggin ..dave...
stiff tip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 05:46 AM   #32
cow tamer

Question

NIB,
Any difference in tying direct vs. using a snap?
cow tamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 06:19 AM   #33
NIB

Nice site. Eddies play a big part in the fishing of rivers. I prefer to fish the seams or the edges of the eddies. I prefer work all parts of the hole, the beginning, the middle, and the end. I learned this trout fishing long time ago .It can take many cast's to bring the lure into these edges or seams in different places. Often times the jig you bring into the edge will fall to the bottom as it swings into the backward current. So cast's in almost 5 ft increments might be needed to work the edge entirely.
Like I mentioned I am a counting freak. When fishing the seams I might choose to slowly retrieve my offering along the edge of the seam. I cast to a target then I count turns of the handle. So I have a idea of where I am at all times. This way I can work or dissect the hole completely. I 'm not just firing cast's out there willy nilly I am working the whole completely. If I get hit, I have a idea of where it is.
That’s one way to fish the edges of the moving water. From the shore your choices might be limited. Fishing this type of structure will have you moving around quite a bit.
The eddies I like to fish are the ones you don't see. Almost like if you took a typical eddy and turned it on its side. River bottoms will have undulations that make little eddies just off the rivers floor itself. I have a friend who is a diver. Years ago he told me how he could lay on the bottom of the river in the current while expending little to no energy. Looking up at the current like he was standing at the edge of a four lane highway. These breaks along the bottom can be hard to find. When boat traffic is up you can see how the water boils in some spots more than others. Scouting trips during the day can pay off big time. Though quite a few of my better holes have come from plain old casting..
You will hear many different philosophies while fishing along the waters edge. Try not to fall into this trap. Try to figure out what is happening on your own. I here guys tell me all the time how there is this great hole in the middle of the river where the jig won't get to the bottom on the middle to the end of the swing. In reality the current is lifting the line up off the bottom. You can let line out but after time that has diminishing effects.. The more line you let out the tension or resistance on the line increases. More line = more tension. Casting from the waters edge you sometimes have to get creative. In order to fish a hole down current you might have to go with a heavier jig. If I can fish 1.5 oz's at 12 o'clock I might go 3 oz's to get to the same bottom down current.. There are times when letting line out won't get ya to the bottom or keep ya on the bottom long enough. This is when I will use a heavier jig that gets me to the bottom faster. I fire it down tide at 2 o'clock to fish that part of the swing more effectively. I call this fishing a heavy line. As opposed to fishing lighter line when I jig straight out from me. It is different. You do have better control on the heavy line but sometimes they just want that jig presented on the lighter line.
There's many ways to skin a cat.. The trick is to be proficient in all of them..
When I have encountered holes in the middle of the flow what normally happens is the jig falls to the bottom like it has landed on a pillow. Poof.. This is where I might slowly pick up the retrieve. When I say slowly I mean sloooowly. I will only work the jig as fast as I have to to keep it just off the bottom. The same way I work the edges or seams. I force myself to go slow by turning the handle once per ten count. When I fished a Penn 706 I could count the clicks per turn of the handle that’s slow..
Most of my better fish have come this way. Nothing is better..
Let me paint a picture for ya.. NIB is standing on the edge of a rock. Rod up high to the 11 o'clock position. Right arm bent at 90 degrees holding the rod tight, Left hand sloowly turning the handle. Body slightly bent from the tension and anticipation. All of the sudden.. WHAACK.!!! The rod doubles over and I'm in. It just don't get any better that that..

Last edited by NIB; 03-19-2009 at 06:28 AM..

FORE!
It's usually darkest just before it turns Black..
NIB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 06:39 AM   #34
NIB

Quote:
Originally Posted by cow tamer View Post
NIB,
Any difference in tying direct vs. using a snap?
I always use a breakaway clip when jigging. They shine in this application. I looked at them new similar clips. They look good also.I am used to the breakaway, I can take a jig off and put one on without looking at it so I use them..
The reason I like a clip is that jigging with heavier jigs 2 oz or better the line can take a beating when it comes in contact with the bottom if you tie direct.The combination of the proximity of the knot to the actuall lure and the fact that it is a hard connection will add up to nicks and scrapes..If I where using primarily light jigs say 3/4 or lighter. I might go with a loop knot as it might have better action.

FORE!
Old 03-19-2009, 06:54 AM   #35
NIB

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiff tip View Post
NIB ...as i said in the past ,that u understand alot about canal fishing its flow w/current. i got about 25 yrs of passing b-t jigs along the cc canal bottom and your artical was right on.you have to work your jig to the speed and depth of the canal . also free spooling is very important for the drop back stike. braid is the best for jiggin ..dave...
Thanks Mr Stiffy..
I learned to jig in the current here in NJ.Some of my friends where good enough to help me along.I tried to write that piece from a perspective that would help anyone who fishes the outflows or any moving water..Current is current, the general principles are the same.One who fishes in their own particular location should have no problem appying these techniques to their own waters..
That is why I tried to do it without mentioning weights or any other gear. Just technique..
Thanks again for the nice words..

FORE!
Old 03-20-2009, 06:54 PM   #36
Pete F.
Canceled

NIB,
I just printed parts of this out. I'd bet if some of your teachers in school knew that you wrote 4 pages single-spaced on your own they would -----, or roll over in their graves.

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Pete F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 06:07 AM   #37
Rocco34520

Thanks for that NIB. That really helped me learn a few things about jigging and i wil be sure to try them in the canal this spring.
Rocco34520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 08:31 AM   #38
Crafty Angler
Geezer Gone Wild

NIB, I'm telling ya, judging by the reaction I think you really ought to consider taking this show on the road...

There's only one way a guy ever gains any of this kind of knowledge and that's the old-fashioned way - you had to work for it

Think of the possibilities - an East Coast Tour, adoring groupies, trashing hotel rooms, nothing but yellow M&M's in your dressing room...girls shreiking "NIB is in town!.....NIB is in town!.....eeeeeek"

I dunno, it's an idea, anyway...

"There is no royal road to this heavy surf-fishing. With all the appliances for comfort experience can suggest, there is a certain amount of hard work to be done and exposure to be bourne as a part of the price of success." From "Striped Bass," Scribner's Magazine, 1881.
Crafty Angler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 08:58 AM   #39
NIB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crafty Angler View Post
NIB, I'm telling ya, judging by the reaction I think you really ought to consider taking this show on the road...

There's only one way a guy ever gains any of this kind of knowledge and that's the old-fashioned way - you had to work for it

Think of the possibilities - an East Coast Tour, adoring groupies, trashing hotel rooms, nothing but yellow M&M's in your dressing room...girls shreiking "NIB is in town!.....NIB is in town!.....eeeeeek"

I dunno, it's an idea, anyway...

Thanks, But I will leave that to the others who do it so well..
I have a disposition built for the internet.

FORE!
Old 03-21-2009, 09:05 AM   #40
Crafty Angler
Geezer Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIB View Post
Thanks, But I will leave that to the others who do it so well..
I have a disposition built for the internet.
I know what you mean NIB - people always used to say I had a voice like a newscaster on the phone when I had my business -

Unfortunately, I've got the perfect face for radio...

"There is no royal road to this heavy surf-fishing. With all the appliances for comfort experience can suggest, there is a certain amount of hard work to be done and exposure to be bourne as a part of the price of success." From "Striped Bass," Scribner's Magazine, 1881.
Crafty Angler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 09:04 AM   #41
thortum

Very informative post. Thank you.
thortum is offline   Reply With Quote