Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 02-14-2022, 02:23 PM   #91
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
School choice is about moving my tax dollars to private institutions, just like for profit prisons.
Republicans claim to be for intact families but oppose any help that doesn’t have a cliff at the upper end.
Republicans consistently oppose healthcare reform, claiming that it will cost too much, but we already pay for it, I just want the money to pay for health care not an insurance executive's third mansion.
That the Republican Party thinks that a minuscule number of black candidates is worth bragging about should tell you all you need to know
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
In my case, it would be about "my" tax dollars, not "your" tax dollars. Liberals are adamantly opposed to my being able to choose which school I spend my tax dollars on.

Because they care about appeasing teachers unions, more than they care about helping poor black children achieve their dreams.

"Republicans consistently oppose healthcare reform"

Wrong. They just oppose Obamacare. Although even Trump says that covering pre-existing conditions (which I've always said is morally obvious) is a good idea.

You just make stuff up. Constantly.

"Republicans claim to be for intact families but oppose any help that doesn’t have a cliff at the upper end."

Tell me what bill that would have kept families intact, the republicans opposed because there wasn't a cliff at the end? Or did you just fabricate that to suit your narrative, too?

"That the Republican Party thinks that a minuscule number of black candidates is worth bragging about should tell you all you need to know "

You have Hank Johnson, who said that he was worried Guam would tip over if we built a base there, and that's exactly what he said. You can keep him, and Maxine Waters. We'll keep Tim Scott.
Old 02-14-2022, 02:28 PM   #92
PaulS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
In my case, it would be about "my" tax dollars, not "your" tax dollars. Liberals are adamantly opposed to my being able to choose which school I spend my tax dollars on.

Because they care about appeasing teachers unions, more than they care about helping poor black children achieve their dreams.

Wrong. They just oppose Obamacare. Although even Trump says that covering pre-existing conditions (which I've always said is morally obvious) is a good idea.

"Republicans claim to be for intact families but oppose any help that doesn’t have a cliff at the upper end."

Tell me what bill that would have kept families intact, the republicans opposed because there wasn't a cliff at the end? Or did you just fabricate that to suit your narrative, too?

"That the Republican Party thinks that a minuscule number of black candidates is worth bragging about should tell you all you need to know "

You have Hank Johnson, who said that he was worried Guam would tip over if we built a base there, and that's exactly what he said. You can keep him, and Maxine Waters. We'll keep Tim Scott.
If Jim gets to allocate his tax $s the way he see fit I guess we can all allocate our tax $s away from those failed Rs states with their outstretched hands saying "give us your $".
Old 02-14-2022, 02:36 PM   #93
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:

Trump said but did absolutely nothing, that’s the usual Republican result.

Who’s the other black republican member of Congress?

Last edited by Pete F.; 02-14-2022 at 02:42 PM..

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 02-14-2022, 02:38 PM   #94
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
At least you're good for a laugh here.
"Do you mean private schools?"

Yes. Allowing inner city kids to choose private schools simply works, and it's wildly popular among people who would benefit. Unfortunately for those families, teachers unions tell democrats what to do in schools.

"you mean by increasing benefits for people who have more children?"

I mean handing out cash to people who have kids, and giving more cash when there's no husband in the picture.

Paul, when you tell people you'll pay them to have babies, and you'll pay them more if there's no husband than you'll pay them if there is a husband, what do you think is going to happen? Is it really hard to predict? I'm fine with giving poor parents subsidized food, diapers, formula, daycare, etc...Giving them cash, is a lucrative incentive to have children that you don't plan to take care of. We can all see the result of that.

"That is a lie"

You're saying I'm lying that democrats didn't celebrate low black unemployment at Trumps SOTU?

Here...go to the 1:00 mark or so, and you tell me I'm lying. The Congresional Black Caucus are all in their attire, all sitting there, miserable. Proof that they don't care about black well-being.

You tell me I'm not 100% correct there.

"what exactly Trump did for Blacks"

See if you can follow...He gave businesses massive incentive to hire. That helps people who aren't currently working, a disproportionate number of whom are black.

He also advocated for criminal justice reform (which liberals have wanted for many years, and which Obama chose not to deliver), increased funding for black colleges, advocated for school choice, things that disproportionately help blacks.

Blacks did great under Trump.

"You're the most divisive person here "

You have the ability to keep scrolling. Or to toughen up a little.

Last edited by Jim in CT; 02-14-2022 at 02:46 PM..
Old 02-14-2022, 03:00 PM   #95
PaulS

Quote:
"Do you mean private schools?"

Yes. Allowing inner city kids to choose private schools simply works, and it's wildly popular among people who would benefit. So I should pay taxes for schools but people who want to attend a private school should be subsidized by me also? Will those same families subsidize my gold membership or gym memborship?

"ou mean by increasing benefits for people who have more children?"

I mean handing out cash to people who have kids, and giving more cash when there's no husband in the picture.

Paul, when you tell people you'll pay them to have babies, and you'll pay them more if there's no husband than you'll pay them if there is a husband, what do you think is going to happen? Is it really hard to predict?Can you pls. show me an ad or a statement by any D. who has said we'll give you more cash if just have more babies? Bc I don't think that has ever been said.

"That is a lie"

You're saying I'm lying that democrats didn't celebrate low black unemployment at Trumps SOTU?Bc the know that didn't do much for "black unemployment" and that all unemployment went down as it continued a trend started bf Trump and that Black workers did not see employment levels ever go above the trend.

Here...go to the 1:00 mark or so, and you tell me I'm lying. The Congresional Black Caucus are all in their attire, all sitting there, miserable.

You tell me I'm not 100% correct there.

"what exactly Trump did for Blacks"

See if you can follow...He gave businesses massive incentive to hire. That helps people who aren't currently working, a disproportionate number of whom are black.See if you can follow - Everything that I read says that Black workers did not see employment levels ever go above the total trend. So if Black unemployment did not decrease % wise more than White unemployment, that means Trump did not do anything for Blacks than he did for Whites.

He also advocated for criminal justice reform, increased funding for black collegesNo he didn't. The bill was a 10-year renewal of funding. It was the same funding as was under Obama., things that help blacks.

Blacks did great under Trump.So, no they didn't

"You're the most divisive person here "

You have the ability to keep scrolling.Just want you to know how you and your ilk are so divisive.

NM

Last edited by PaulS; 02-14-2022 at 03:05 PM..
Old 02-14-2022, 03:23 PM   #96
Jim in CT

Quote:
NM
"So I should pay taxes for schools but people who want to attend a private school should be subsidized by me also? Will those same families subsidize my gold membership or gym memborship?"

You're paying taxes to send Hartford kids to crappy Hartford schools. You're paying anyway. Is it better for those kids for you to pay (and it's usually cheaper by the way) for them to go to a goos catholic school somewhere? I'm not saying raise your taxes to pay for that. I'm saying, instead of paying $19,000 a year to send those kids to lousy Hartford public schools, why not pay $5k a year to send them to a terrific catholic school (my little guys go to a catholic middle school, price tag is $5k a year). Not suggesting any new taxes, just diverting a portion of what we're already paying, to deliver a far superior product to kids who need it.

I think choice is a terrific idea. You'd rather doom those kids to failing sh*thole schools to make a political statement.

"Can you pls. show me an ad or a statement by any D. who has said we'll give you more cash if just have more babies? Bc I don't think that has ever been said."

Maybe it's never been said, but that's what welfare does. People on the take, figure it out. That's what the programs do. And the obvious side effect, is creating more fatherless kids.

Do you deny that welfare programs do this?

"Bc the know that didn't do much for "black unemployment"

Oh. So democrats only stand when the president is single-handedly responsible for the good result".

When Biden brags at his first SOTU about all the jobs created, will the democrats cheer? Did he personally create all those jobs? Or was the economy opening back up again before he was sworn in? Same with the stock market.

"So, no they didn't"

Please give me some meaningful measures by which black life didn't improve under Trump, compared to Obama.

We all know you guys all hate that blacks did well under Trump. But just because you can't stand it, doesn't mean it didn't happen.
Old 02-14-2022, 03:40 PM   #97
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
School choice is about moving my tax dollars to private institutions, just like for profit prisons.
No it's not..

School choice allows public education funds to follow students to the schools or services that best fit their needs —whether that’s to a public school, private school, charter school, home school or any other learning environment families choose.

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 02-14-2022, 03:45 PM   #98
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
If Jim gets to allocate his tax $s the way he see fit I guess we can all allocate our tax $s away from those failed Rs states with their outstretched hands saying "give us your $".
Fine with me

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 02-14-2022, 03:46 PM   #99
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
No it's not..

School choice allows public education funds to follow students to the schools or services that best fit their needs —whether that’s to a public school, private school, charter school, home school or any other learning environment families choose.
and it’s kind of ironic, that the left is so adamantly opposed to school
choice.

Yet on another issue, and i can’t quite put my finger on which issue it was, I’m almost certain I heard democrats refer to themselves as pro-choice

Not in this case, it would seem.

If we offered school choice, the public schools would get their act in order, in the next nanosecond. competition is good.
Old 02-14-2022, 03:51 PM   #100
PaulS

Quote:
"So I should pay taxes for schools but people who want to attend a private school should be subsidized by me also? Will those same families subsidize my gold membership or gym memborship?"

You're paying taxes to send Hartford kids to crappy Hartford schools. You're paying anyway. Is it better for those kids for you to pay (and it's usually cheaper by the way) for them to go to a goos catholic school somewhere? not if it hurts public schools. I'm not saying raise your taxes to pay for that. I'm saying, instead of paying $19,000 a year to send those kids to lousy Hartford public schools, why not pay $5k a year to send them to a terrific catholic school (my little guys go to a catholic middle school, price tag is $5k a year). Not suggesting any new taxes, just diverting a portion of what we're already paying, to deliver a far superior product to kids who need it. It will hurt public schools. How about we fix any problems w/public schools.

I think choice is a terrific idea. You'd rather doom those kids to failing sh*thole schools to make a political statement.

"Can you pls. show me an ad or a statement by any D. who has said we'll give you more cash if just have more babies? Bc I don't think that has ever been said."

Maybe it's never been said, but that's what welfare does. People on the take, The use of the words "on the take" cleary represent what Rs think of aid.figure it out. That's what the programs do. And the obvious side effect, is creating more fatherless kids.

Do you deny that welfare programs do this?So you think you get more money from the government than is the actual cost to raise children? What is the actual amount in aid a typical family gets?

"Bc the know that didn't do much for "black unemployment"

Oh. So democrats only stand when the president is single-handedly responsible for the good result".How about only standing when the Pres is honest and not lying?

When Biden brags at his first SOTU about all the jobs created, will the democrats cheer? Did he personally create all those jobs? Or was the economy opening back up again before he was sworn in? Same with the stock market. If he says "I alone did this" then they shouldn't stand. I know the Pres. isn't responsible for the job market or the stock market by fortunately/unfortunately gets blamed for them.

"So, no they didn't"

Please give me some meaningful measures by which black life didn't improve under Trump, compared to Obama. Race relations

We all know you guys all hate that blacks did well under Trump. But they didn't get better than Whites - regardless of the lies Trump said. But just because you can't stand it, doesn't mean it didn't happen.But I showed you that it didn't get any better for Blacks
NM
Old 02-14-2022, 04:07 PM   #101
PaulS

Quote:

Yet on another issue, and i can’t quite put my finger on which issue it was, I’m almost certain I heard democrats refer to themselves as pro-choice

Not in this case, it would seem.
size]
Is it any different than saying no mandates for vaccines and leave it up to the individual but not leaving it up to the individual when it comes to an abortion?

I guess not in this case, it would seem.
Old 02-14-2022, 04:38 PM   #102
wdmso

Quote:
No it's not..

It’s all about Taking what people see as Their Taxes and spending it on their private or religious or charters school .

I find it odd Republicans support the idea that people who may rent an apartment or live in public housing and pay little to no taxes and flip the bill for their children to go where they want ! That’s what conservatives want voters to think

School choice is for them hidden in the we’re helping underserved communities

But in reality Most often, the voucher, ESA, or tax incentive will not cover the full cost of a child's education. Parents or guardians are expected to make up the difference.
Hard to make up a difference when you can barely afford to live where you live

Most taxpayers want their tax dollars to go to the classroom for teaching and learning. Yet time and again, some charters spent far more than public schools on administration. In 2014-2015, Arizona charter schools spent over $128 million more than Arizona public schools on management costs. One charter chain, Basis, spent nearly $12 million on administrative costs in one year, for fewer than 9000 students — all hidden from public review.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...school-choice/

The Racist History Of “School Choice”

We are less than six months into 2021, and to date, “school choice” legislation has been introduced in at least 20 states, half of which are in the South. Most of these bills promote tax credits, school vouchers, or “education savings accounts.” All of them drain money from underfunded, under-resourced public schools into private schools. And while some proponents of these bills say that they will improve education opportunities for Black and Brown students and students from low-income families, the truth is that they do not

The Charter School Swindle – Selling Segregation to Blacks and Latinos

https://www.forbes.com/sites/raymond...school-choice/

A liberal source
Old 02-14-2022, 05:03 PM   #103
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
No it's not..

Sure, it will work just like the college system where what happens in your life depends on where you went to school.
Look at college endowments per pupil from Ivy league to state schools, the rest of the education system will follow that model.
Sure some tokens will get to go to the elite schools but they’re not going to be invited to spend break with most people.

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Lets Go Darwin
Old 02-14-2022, 05:36 PM   #104
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
It’s all about Taking what people see as Their Taxes and spending it on their private or religious or charters school .

I find it odd Republicans support the idea that people who may rent an apartment or live in public housing and pay little to no taxes and flip the bill for their children to go where they want ! That’s what conservatives want voters to think

But in reality Most often, the voucher, ESA, or tax incentive will not cover the full cost of a child's education. Parents or guardians are expected to make up the difference.

Most taxpayers want their tax dollars to go to the classroom for teaching and learning. Yet time and again, some charters spent far more than public schools on administration. In 2014-2015, Arizona charter schools spent over $128 million more than Arizona public schools on management costs. One charter chain, Basis, spent nearly $12 million on administrative costs in one year, for fewer than 9000 students — all hidden from public review.

We are less than six months into 2021, and to date, “school choice” legislation has been introduced in at least 20 states, half of which are in the South. Most of these bills promote tax credits, school vouchers, or “education savings accounts.” All of them drain money from underfunded, under-resourced public schools into private schools. And while some proponents of these bills say that they will improve education opportunities for Black and Brown students and students from low-income families, the truth is that they do not

A liberal source
school choice is racist!!! that’s why poor block parents want it so badly.

partial scholarships are worthless, that’s what you’re saying. anything that doesn’t cover the full
cost is useless?

are coupons useless and racist???’n
Old 02-14-2022, 07:24 PM   #105
Jim in CT

Quote:

A liberal source
here’s a study showing school choice improves test scores at both private and public schools, lowers the cost of education ( which is why teachers unions hate it and why democrats oppose it), and lessens racial
inequality.

https://www.ceamteam.org/the-consens...-choice-works/

it’s common sense that it works. not all schools are equal.
Old 02-14-2022, 07:46 PM   #106
scottw

Quote:

from those failed Rs states

define "failed"
Old 02-14-2022, 07:48 PM   #107
scottw

Quote:

democrats platform for 2022

EVERYTHING IS RACIST
Old 02-14-2022, 08:10 PM   #108
scottw

Quote:

I'll ask again. Did they say that when Trump said he would only pick a candidate approved by the Federalist Society?

And how about when Reagan said he would only pick a woman? Was it obviously illegal then?
I'll explain again.....it was not racist to announce that a pick for the supreme court would be a constitutionalist....it was not racist to say a pick for a supreme court would be a woman....it is incredibly racist to state that a person would be picked based on their skin color at the exclusion of other individuals who do not meet your skin color litmus test
Old 02-14-2022, 09:58 PM   #109
Pete F.
Canceled

Poor snowflakes, elections have consequences
Haven’t i heard that from someone?
Old 02-15-2022, 06:22 AM   #110
scottw

Quote:

elections have consequences

I think America is very aware of this based on brandon's polling

FEB 10 2022
(CNN)Nearly 6 in 10 Americans disapprove of how Joe Biden is handling his presidency, with most of that group saying there's literally nothing Biden has done since taking office that they approve of.

Last edited by scottw; 02-15-2022 at 06:42 AM..
Old 02-15-2022, 06:44 AM   #111
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
democrats platform for 2022

EVERYTHING IS RACIST
school choice is racist, but you can bet that somehow affirmative action isn’t.
Old 02-15-2022, 06:47 AM   #112
scottw

Quote:
birds are racist...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/clima...acism-audubon/
Old 02-15-2022, 06:52 AM   #113
Jim in CT

Quote:
and roads. Pete said so.
Old 02-15-2022, 08:18 AM   #114
Pete F.
Canceled

CPAC is holding their conference in Hungary , an authoritarian regime under the thumb of Putin tells you the conservative Republican Party no longer exist . It’s no longer a matter of policy differences
It’s a matter of Republicans wanting to change our democracy to a different governance
Old 02-15-2022, 08:22 AM   #115
wdmso

Quote:
Spoken like a true believer …

Failing to understand why we even needed affirmative action…

Look in the mirror
Old 02-15-2022, 08:25 AM   #116
wdmso

Quote:
I'll explain again.....it was not racist to announce that a pick for the supreme court would be a constitutionalist....it was not racist to say a pick for a supreme court would be a woman....it is incredibly racist to state that a person would be picked based on their skin color at the exclusion of other individuals who do not meet your skin color litmus test
And I’ll say again.

Your in dream land ! if you think any black women were on Ron’s list when he picked his women !

But feel free to think otherwise
Old 02-15-2022, 09:28 AM   #117
scottw

Quote:
And I’ll say again.

Your in dream land ! if you think any black women were on Ron’s list when he picked his women !

But feel free to think otherwise
I guess this above your comprehension level....
Old 02-15-2022, 08:21 PM   #118
Pete F.
Canceled

Scott and Jim are shining examples of how white privilege warps peoples minds
There have only been 2 black SCt justices in the 232 year history of the court. Both men.

Only 5 women have served on the SCt (also a disgrace) & none of them have been black.

Structural racism writ large.

Unless you believe no black woman has ever been qualified for the job.
Old 02-15-2022, 10:12 PM   #119
scottw

Quote:
Scott and Jim are shining examples of how white privilege warps peoples minds
There have only been 2 black SCt justices in the 232 year history of the court. Both men.

Only 5 women have served on the SCt (also a disgrace) & none of them have been black.

Structural racism writ large.

Unless you believe no black woman has ever been qualified for the job.
how many male or female Asian or Native American Supreme Court justices have there been?
Old 02-15-2022, 10:29 PM   #120
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
how many male or female Asian or Native American Supreme Court justices have there been?
How many people other than white men have ever been nominated?

Lets Go Darwin