Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 09-02-2010, 07:28 PM   #31
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

i for one am glad wee wee is back

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
Old 09-03-2010, 08:57 AM   #32
fishpoopoo
Wipe My Bottom

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
The low rates were a response to economic conditions largely influenced by the market. Certainly you could argue this was a wrong move, but it's not like the government was setting policy in a vacuum.

It's also not like investors are altruistic, they're trying to make money. Whatever is legal is fair game. Hence my comment about the market exploiting the room to move.

I'm not blaming the markets or investors, the entire thing was a gigantic fuster cluck.

-spence
The low rates were an idiotic move, Spence.

Alan Greenspan kept interest rates to near zero percent from 2001 through 2004.

However, the economy already started recovering in November 2001! He should have raised rates starting then.

Greenspan's actions were the primary reason why we had bubbles in housing and other areas.

Old 09-03-2010, 09:21 AM   #33
fishpoopoo
Wipe My Bottom

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
It's also not like investors are altruistic, they're trying to make money...I'm not blaming the markets or investors, the entire thing was a gigantic fuster cluck.

-spence
I blame investors, but not in the way you might think.

Imagine this conversation between the head of a large global investment bank and Fed Chair Alan Greenspan:

Quote:

Boss of Goldman Schmucks: "Hey Alan. We're under water. You have to help us out and lower interest rates."

Alan Greenspan: Uh, okay. Sounds like a plan.

Goldman Schmucks: "Get to it!"

Alan Greenspan: "Right oh! Rates to zero percent pronto! I'll start printing money right away."
This is a simplification of the process, but that is basically the way it happened.

If folks understood the nature of the Federal Reserve (it is NEITHER) ... folks would understand what a corporatist scam this operation is.

The Federal Reserve is a PRIVATELY OWNED BANKING CARTEL which exists for the BENEFIT of its shareholders.

Who are its shareholders?

THE BANKS.