Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » The Scuppers

The Scuppers This is a new forum for the not necessarily fishing related topics...

Old 02-17-2008, 09:32 PM   #1
cheferson

USDA recalls 143 million pounds of frozen beef

http://www.cnn.com/2008/HEALTH/02/17...es#cnnSTCVideo

This is disgusting! How could you treat any living animal like that , even if they are only for food.

Last edited by cheferson; 02-17-2008 at 09:38 PM..
cheferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 10:29 PM   #2
ridler72
Lubina Estriada!

How is a cow/bull supposed to act that is going to be a big mac? Should it stroll to the slaughter house happy and full of glee? Packed tight in corrals with no room to lay down for it's entire life with other pissed off buddies..and we wonder why they can't stand....You want a Baseball Steak or a fat ass burger at 2am?...This is the price that must be paid.

I guess it is not right unless it's Kobe Beef. Give the cow and bulls luxury living. Complete with full service massage......give it the best grains....give it a blessing and a silent kill.....all this for 300 dollars a steak. You pay for that service. I like getting my Roast Beef with sauce sandwich at 2am after a fun night out. But I don't want to pay 100 dollars for it.

Now Uncle Sam steps in after seeing the reality of what it takes to make a Big Mac 99 cents.......now it will all come back and become wasted....only to have the procession of the forklifts continue...and it will.....Do you think the price of beef is high now?.....You can bet on prices to go through the roof and no more 99 cent Big Mac, Whopper Specials. How about 12.99 a lb for steak tips.......30 dollars a pound for that baseball steak.

What a bunch a beef to be recalled and more then likely wasted......Reebok takes Patriots Superbowl Winning 19-0 shirts and hats and sends it off to the Nicaraguans. That beef is good and should not be wasted. If it's not good for the US, send it somewhere else for free and give that company a write off.

Last edited by ridler72; 02-17-2008 at 10:41 PM..

Kayak Fishing Baby! Fish Reel Hard!
ridler72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 10:39 PM   #3
BigBo

Have you ever seen how veal is produced? Ridler is correct in his assesment of the industry.

The future ain't what it used to be. --Yogi Berra
BigBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 11:56 PM   #4
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Send a message via AIM to BigFish
First of all.....I do not understand why they are recalling the beef because of the way the cattle were treated???? Is there anything wrong with the beef???

Second of all...they are recalling beef back all the way to Feb. 1st 2006??? Thats over 2 years ago??? Why is there still beef around that is 2 years old????

Third....they keep saying...its ok....none of this beef is sold in stores and none made it to Mass.??? It does however make it somewhere for cunsumtion.....does it not???

Ahhhhh......my faith in our government just grows richer and deeper with each passing day!

Almost time to get our fish on!!!
BigFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 12:16 AM   #5
xyzs

my faith is going down the crapper for the us gov.
xyzs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 09:10 AM   #6
cheferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridler72 View Post
How is a cow/bull supposed to act that is going to be a big mac? Should it stroll to the slaughter house happy and full of glee? Packed tight in corrals with no room to lay down for it's entire life with other pissed off buddies..and we wonder why they can't stand....You want a Baseball Steak or a fat ass burger at 2am?...This is the price that must be paid.

I guess it is not right unless it's Kobe Beef. Give the cow and bulls luxury living. Complete with full service massage......give it the best grains....give it a blessing and a silent kill.....all this for 300 dollars a steak. You pay for that service. I like getting my Roast Beef with sauce sandwich at 2am after a fun night out. But I don't want to pay 100 dollars for it.
Those are downer cows. Too sick or weak ( maybe mad cow disease) to walk, very possibly unsafe for human consumption. Maybe youll get one of those steaks from a downer cow , that the greedy company processed anyway and youll get a nice neurological disease. They are not even supposed to be processed without inspection by a vet, which none of those were.
Old 02-18-2008, 09:57 AM   #7
spence

Everything is relative. Watch a video of a good slaughterhouse operating and the average person will be wretching under the table.

But in this case it's good to see this company be nailed for this stuff which is terrible. Sends a strong message and they'd have to be a pretty huge company to survive.

In general I think the beef industry treats animals pretty well, up until the point in which they kill them

The better producers understand that the way the cattle and beef are handeled directly impacts product quality and the price/margin they can capture. The demand for beef that's all natural and not pumped up with anti-biotics requires that conditions keep the cattle happy.

Even the veal producers treat animals much better than in years past. Growth hormones and nasty drugs have pretty much been made illegal. Any veal served in a good eatery has probably been raised in larger pens or even is free range. Although, your average grocery story hunk of veal is still raised in a manner many would find ethically challenged.

Buy better product and the suppliers will respond with more of it.

-spence
spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 10:15 AM   #8
zacs
D'oh

Quote:

Now Uncle Sam steps in after seeing the reality of what it takes to make a Big Mac 99 cents.......now it will all come back and become wasted....only to have the procession of the forklifts continue...and it will.....Do you think the price of beef is high now?.....You can bet on prices to go through the roof and no more 99 cent Big Mac, Whopper Specials. How about 12.99 a lb for steak tips.......30 dollars a pound for that baseball steak.

What a bunch a beef to be recalled and more then likely wasted......Reebok takes Patriots Superbowl Winning 19-0 shirts and hats and sends it off to the Nicaraguans. That beef is good and should not be wasted. If it's not good for the US, send it somewhere else for free and give that company a write off.
you have no idea what you are talking about.

this company cut corners and procesed sick animals illegally.

i bent my wookie
zacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 11:23 AM   #9
ridler72
Lubina Estriada!

Of course they cut corners...no secrets there, I saw that video and others as well.

Here is a rule on how Downer Cows are handled:

"Different jurisdictions have different rules about what can be done with a downer cow. In some jurisdictions the cow may be slaughtered without question. In others, downer cattle may not be slaughtered even if the cause is a physical injury."

If there is a risk of BSE or Mad Cow in every limping cow, why allow some jurisdictions to slaughter and others not?

More info:

"California and several other states already ban the use of downers in some slaughterhouses. The Department of Agriculture decided three years ago to stop buying downer meat for the school lunch program because of concern about bacterial infections."

Where was the USDA plant inspector/Vet at that slaughter house? How hard is it to poke out of your office look down the slaughter line and see which cow wants to walk and which doesn't. If you leave it up to the plant workers to report, they won't say a thing. It's the inspectors job, period.

Kayak Fishing Baby! Fish Reel Hard!
ridler72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 11:30 AM   #10
spence

Quote:
Where was the USDA plant inspector/Vet at that slaughter house? How hard is it to poke out of your office look down the slaughter line and see which cow wants to walk and which doesn't. If you leave it up to the plant workers to report, they won't say a thing. It's the inspectors job, period.
Blame the proponents for deregulation who believe that industry can do a more effective (and cost effective) job of protecting the consumer.

-spence
Old 02-18-2008, 06:11 PM   #11
riverrat55

NO MORE RED MEAT FOR ME!!!
riverrat55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 06:29 PM   #12
basswipe

A 20 second video and billions of $$$ down the tube.

PETA propaganda.

I will continue to consume ribeyes at an unprecedented rate.

Btw is embedding a hook into a fish and playing it any less cruel?Actually it could be considered more cruel.And we ALL do it.

SHADDUP!!!!!!!!!!

Long live the urge for humans to consume meat.Its f***ing tasty.Gonna go eat some beef RIGHT NOW!
basswipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 07:09 PM   #13
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by basswipe View Post
A 20 second video and billions of $$$ down the tube.

PETA propaganda.

I will continue to consume ribeyes at an unprecedented rate.

Btw is embedding a hook into a fish and playing it any less cruel?Actually it could be considered more cruel.And we ALL do it.

SHADDUP!!!!!!!!!!

Long live the urge for humans to consume meat.Its f***ing tasty.Gonna go eat some beef RIGHT NOW!
Wipe, please read the thread from the beginning, including the story about why the beef was recalled.

-spence
Old 02-18-2008, 09:39 PM   #14
cheferson

Old 02-19-2008, 05:50 PM   #15
basswipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
Wipe, please read the thread from the beginning, including the story about why the beef was recalled.

-spence
It was an ill attempted try at humor/sarcasm on my part.Should used some smilies.

I still ain't givin' up my meat!Execpt to my woman.
basswipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 05:57 PM   #16
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by basswipe View Post
It was an ill attempted try at humor/sarcasm on my part.Should used some smilies.

I still ain't givin' up my meat!Execpt to my woman.
Well, you can't blame me considering your posting behavior in the past

-spence
Old 02-20-2008, 07:36 AM   #17
Raven

according to news reports

most of the recalled beef has already been consumed
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote