Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-23-2014, 10:25 AM   #1
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by detbuch View Post
Why are you changing the subject. I referred to YOUR playing the card, not all the other people in the world, liberal or conservative, communist, capitalist . . . or liberal celebs (Democrat--there aren't that many Republican celebs) who on a weekly basis poked fun at or bashed Bush, or Reagan, or Palin, or Cruz, or Tea partiers. I wasn't trying to drag the world into the discussion, just your taking my comment to an extreme. Sorry I ruffled your feathers.

No, I wasn't talking about political correctness. I don't think that has ever stopped progressive/liberal Dems from trashing Republican Presidents. It certainly wasn't a barrier against bashing all previous Presidents of either party in the past. Especially before the advent of such "correctness," which is fairly recent in our history. Presidents, politicians in general, were freely insulted before Obama. It was that, Paul's assumption that Obama is the most insulted ever, to which I responded. And it is my opinion, as well as that of "many experts" that the race card prevents many of the insults, even those that don't pertain to race, from being made. That certainly doesn't mean that insults, even many, against Obama haven't happened. Just that not as much as might have if he weren't black. In any event, I don't think any actual stats have been compiled as to who was the most insulted President. Don't think it would be possible to do it. But, it does come with the territory. Take it in good grace and move on. That's what Bush did. I know you like to remind us often that "Bush did it too."
Not changing the subject, I just think it's pretty silly to claim political correctness had muted criticism of Obama when he's been subjected to the most racially motivated attacks I've ever seen.

As for the most insulted? I'm sure history has it's moments but certainly within my lifetime.
Old 12-23-2014, 10:59 AM   #2
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
Not changing the subject, I just think it's pretty silly to claim political correctness had muted criticism of Obama when he's been subjected to the most racially motivated attacks I've ever seen.

So when a few kooks on the left yell "we want dead cops", you dismiss that as the lunatic fringe (which I agree with) When a few kooks on the right make racist comments about Obama, you say it's significant.

So when the left acts stupidly, you dismiss it. When the right acts stupidly, you hold us accountable.

See any flaws there, Spence? Any hypocrisy? Any at all? No?
Old 12-23-2014, 03:14 PM   #3
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post

Disregarding and not responding to my main point (your extreme characterization that "nobody" would insult Obama rather than, as I said, less would do so) in order to focus on a reason for that point is changing the subject. And replacing the word "insult" with "political correctness" and "racially motivated attacks" is also changing the subject. "Insults" have a much wider scope than your peeves about political correctness or racial attacks, neither of which necessarily involve insults. And you, again, make a switch--from less ("muted") criticism to the "most" racially motivated attacks you've ever seen. Criticism can involve so much more than racial attacks. Actually, a racial attack would be more of an irrational rant than a criticism. Actually, most of the criticism of Obama that I've ever seen involved his policies, not his race. In fact, though I'm sure there must be some, I don't remember any criticisms of him due to his being black.

You have this maddening habit of morphing from what is said into whatever ax you wish to grind. That you "perceive" that Obama is subject to the most racially motivated attacks you've "ever seen" is too subjective for me to respond. If you want to factually quantify that statement and flesh it out to what you consider a racial "attack" that would make a discussion possible. Otherwise, its just your opinion which may be provocative but not interesting. I recall a previous thread where you thought you were listing racial attacks when nothing on your list was actually racial. And when you could not verify that they were, you referred to them as "code." That's too convenient and unconvincing.

As for the most insulted? I'm sure history has it's moments but certainly within my lifetime.
Your lifetime and your "perception." The first is too short to be relevant, and the last is too subjective to be meaningful for anybody but you . . . or those who want to be told what you say.

Last edited by detbuch; 12-23-2014 at 03:39 PM..
Old 12-24-2014, 05:40 AM   #4
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by detbuch View Post
Your lifetime and your "perception." The first is too short to be relevant, and the last is too subjective to be meaningful for anybody but you . . . or those who want to be told what you say.
brilliant.............
Old 12-24-2014, 05:50 AM   #5
scottw

"Double standards are seductive. If you’ve been demonized unfairly, it is only human to turn the tables at the first opportunity. Giving in to that temptation, however, leads to madness."
http://www.nationalreview.com/articl...jonah-goldberg

funny isn't it...after a while the guy that actually pulled the trigger barely gets mentioned.....