Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 07-11-2008, 06:43 AM   #1
likwid
lobster = striper bait

Send a message via AIM to likwid
OPEC can't and won't replace supply if Iran is attacked.

Soooo.... $10/gal gas anyone?

MADRID (Reuters) - OPEC could not replace lost Iranian output should Tehran carry out its threat to stop oil exports if attacked, OPEC President Chakib Khelil said on Tuesday.

"It's obvious that if you curtail 4 million barrels per day (bpd) from the market, you are going to have a big problem. I don't see who can replace that, including OPEC," Khelil told a news conference in Madrid.

Khelil said the perceived threat of conflict had helped to drive oil prices higher, although he said the main reason for crude near $143 a barrel was the weakness of the U.S. dollar.

"Unless we address those causes we're not going to see low oil prices ... We need to do something about geopolitics. We need to do something about the dollar," Khelil, who is also Algeria's oil minister, said.

Fears that Iran, OPEC's second largest producer and the world's fourth biggest producer, could retaliate by disrupting oil exports if attacked by Israel or the United States over its nuclear program have weighed on the oil market for months.

The depreciation of the U.S. dollar was another big factor, Khelil said, adding that its impact on the oil price was even greater.

Oil, like most commodities, is priced in dollars and most commodity prices have rallied to make up for the drop in the value of the currency used to price them.

The dollar has fallen sharply against the euro and a basket of currencies as the U.S. Federal Reserve has slashed interest rates this year to shore up the financial system and the wider economy from a credit crunch triggered by crisis involving sub-prime mortgages.

Khelil said oil prices would probably rise again if the European Central Bank raised interest rates on Thursday because the euro would strengthen against the U.S. Continued...

http://uk.reuters.com/article/busine...LA572420080702

Ski Quicks Hole
Old 07-11-2008, 09:19 AM   #2
Mr. Sandman

Quote:
Originally Posted by likwid View Post
Soooo.... $10/gal gas anyone?

MADRID (Reuters) - OPEC could not replace lost Iranian output should Tehran carry out its threat to stop oil exports if attacked, OPEC President Chakib Khelil said on Tuesday.

"It's obvious that if you curtail 4 million barrels per day (bpd) from the market, you are going to have a big problem. I don't see who can replace that, including OPEC," Khelil told a news conference in Madrid.

Khelil said the perceived threat of conflict had helped to drive oil prices higher, although he said the main reason for crude near $143 a barrel was the weakness of the U.S. dollar.

"Unless we address those causes we're not going to see low oil prices ... We need to do something about geopolitics. We need to do something about the dollar," Khelil, who is also Algeria's oil minister, said.

Fears that Iran, OPEC's second largest producer and the world's fourth biggest producer, could retaliate by disrupting oil exports if attacked by Israel or the United States over its nuclear program have weighed on the oil market for months.

The depreciation of the U.S. dollar was another big factor, Khelil said, adding that its impact on the oil price was even greater.

Oil, like most commodities, is priced in dollars and most commodity prices have rallied to make up for the drop in the value of the currency used to price them.

The dollar has fallen sharply against the euro and a basket of currencies as the U.S. Federal Reserve has slashed interest rates this year to shore up the financial system and the wider economy from a credit crunch triggered by crisis involving sub-prime mortgages.

Khelil said oil prices would probably rise again if the European Central Bank raised interest rates on Thursday because the euro would strengthen against the U.S. Continued...

http://uk.reuters.com/article/busine...LA572420080702

I am getting sick of Iran...Let's just take them over thru force, make them the 51st state, secure an instant domestic oil supply (in someone else's backyard) and stabilize the Iran/Israel tensions at the same time. Problem solved. Maybe Bush can pull this off prior to leaving.
Old 07-11-2008, 09:57 AM   #3
Joe

And you can't just bomb the nuke facilities either...you have to dismantle their ability to impede oil traffic in the gulf.

Old 07-11-2008, 09:59 AM   #4
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Not to worry.

Barack Obama will make nice to Iran and they will end their hatreds,

dismantle the Shahab 3s and shut down their nuclear centrifuges.

All will be well.

Unless of course he "changes" his mind.

" Choose Life "
Old 07-11-2008, 10:00 AM   #5
likwid
lobster = striper bait

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Sandman View Post
Let's just take them over thru force
WORKING GREAT IN IRAQ!
MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!

Ski Quicks Hole
Old 07-11-2008, 10:07 AM   #6
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post
...you have to dismantle their ability to impede oil traffic in the gulf.
Complicated for sure with mining of shipping lanes.

" Choose Life "
Old 07-11-2008, 11:30 AM   #7
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Maybe Bush can pull this off prior to leaving.
I don't know...thats a tad more complicated than looking to see which shoe says "L" and which shoe says "R"

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 07-11-2008, 11:32 AM   #8
likwid
lobster = striper bait

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
I don't know...thats a tad more complicated than looking to see which shoe says "L" and which shoe says "R"

Ski Quicks Hole
Old 07-11-2008, 12:30 PM   #9
Nebe

natural gas and electric is going up 20% in RI as of yesterday.. aaarrrrg/
Old 07-11-2008, 01:02 PM   #10
Rockport24
President - S-B Chapter - Kelly Clarkson Fan Club

you know even if US companies got complete control of a lot of those oil fields in the middle east or drilled up a bunch offshore and in ANWR, all the oil still goes into the global market for trade, so it's not like it would be directly beneficial to us as consumers, it would A LOT more beneficial to anyone who holds stock in oil companies though
the US would have to get to a point where ALL it's oil came from it's own resources so we could break away from the foreign market.
That would take more than just a few wars I imagine.

Last edited by Rockport24; 07-11-2008 at 01:24 PM..
Old 07-11-2008, 01:03 PM   #11
Bronko

Everyone calm down. Obama will save us. Hope and Change go a long way with oil speculators and arabs.

The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope. ~John Buchan
Old 07-11-2008, 01:14 PM   #12
zacs
D'oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronko View Post
Everyone calm down. Obama will save us. Hope and Change go a long way with oil speculators and arabs.
good point... everything is going so well now, why would anyone want change????

i bent my wookie
Old 07-11-2008, 01:23 PM   #13
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockport24 View Post
you know even if US companies got complete control of a lot of those oil fields in the middle east or drilled up a bunch offshore and in ANWAR, all the oil still goes into the global market for trade, so it's not like it would be directly beneficial to us as consumers, it would A LOT more beneficial to anyone who holds stock in oil companies though
the US would have to get to a point where ALL it's oil came from it's own resources so we could break away from the foreign market.
That would take more than just a few wars I imagine.
That's why many countries with large reserves have been nationalizing their resources.

-spence
Old 07-11-2008, 01:32 PM   #14
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by zacs View Post
good point... everything is going so well now, why would anyone want change????
Zac is getting political....uh oh

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
Old 07-11-2008, 01:35 PM   #15
Rockport24
President - S-B Chapter - Kelly Clarkson Fan Club

hmmm interesting, you mean not putting their oil into the market? ohh nevermind, you mean like Venezuela? Unfortunately, even in the US did have the reserves I think it's a lost cause.

Last edited by Rockport24; 07-11-2008 at 02:02 PM..
Old 07-11-2008, 01:52 PM   #16
zacs
D'oh

This is what happens when I don't fish for a month.....

I normally try to stay out of this stuff... and I am not an Obama supporter.

But what option do we have at this point? Who can support another 4 years of policy that even closely resembles what we have been going through for the past 8????

i bent my wookie
Old 07-11-2008, 02:54 PM   #17
Joe

You think the economy is bad now - wait until people have to deal with heating bills this winter.

Old 07-11-2008, 03:07 PM   #18
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by zacs View Post
This is what happens when I don't fish for a month.....

I normally try to stay out of this stuff... and I am not an Obama supporter.

But what option do we have at this point? Who can support another 4 years of policy that even closely resembles what we have been going through for the past 8????
I have too much respect for you to see you get pulled into this......

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
Old 07-11-2008, 03:44 PM   #19
Mr. Sandman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post
You think the economy is bad now - wait until people have to deal with heating bills this winter.

You are right... I think many can tough out the gas for the family car during the summer but heat in the winter is a must. A lot of families in up state NY, and through out Northern NE will freeze to death this year as burring $5+ oil is not an option for most. You will see make shift wood burning stoves light many a house on fire and people will indeed die.
They got what they wanted...high prices, panic and despair around the election. Congrats.
Old 07-11-2008, 03:50 PM   #20
likwid
lobster = striper bait

Quote:
They got what they wanted...high prices, panic and despair around the election. Congrats.
Thank the speculators who keep driving it up out of greed.
Mostly wall street types in our own country.

Ski Quicks Hole
Old 07-11-2008, 04:17 PM   #21
spence

Quote:
Who's "they"...unless you mean...

THE LIBERALS?

I'm assuming you voted last election for President Bush? The ticket who claimed a vote for John Kerry would bring another terrorist attack? No panic and despair there, no sir eee bob.

Imagine if you will a US Government controlled only by the fair minded, tough handed and fiscally responsible Republican party...oh, I guess we had that for 4 years. In return we got bigger government, perhaps an unwinable war, trillions more in National debt and on and on.

-spence
Old 07-12-2008, 11:56 AM   #22
buckman

I'm not on the side of attacking Iran, however... They do not have the ability to stop the flow of oil in that region. It would be suicide to try. We would crush them. And have a reason to do it. They are rattiling sabers and that just might get them a slap. Not to smart if you ask me. Iran is a threat to stability in the area.
Old 07-14-2008, 08:32 AM   #23
likwid
lobster = striper bait

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
We would crush them.
You mean like we did in Iraq?

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!

Ski Quicks Hole
Old 07-14-2008, 08:49 AM   #24
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
They do not have the ability to stop the flow of oil in that region.
They don't need to stop the flow of oil. Simply a good disruption would make 140 bucks a barrel seem cheap.

Iran wouldn't come out in the open and attack, they'd do it by proxy and covertly just like they've been fighting us in Palestine.

At the same time they'd be clammoring for peace in public, and doing everything to obfuscate their real behavior. This would give just enough pause to make the decision to attack Iran a lot more complicated.

-spence
Old 07-14-2008, 02:16 PM   #25
buckmanjr

I know what your saying Spence. Hopefully there are people in charge at the time who will do what has to be done and not fall for Irans BS.

And by the way likwid, we did oust Saddam and his army in the blink of an eye. I'm pretty sure even Bush new it would take a long time before the whole thing would be over. You just hear what you want to hear. If it's anti American and anti Bush you jump right on the band wagon.
Old 07-14-2008, 02:18 PM   #26
buckman

Sorry. I posted that under my son's name.
Old 07-14-2008, 02:25 PM   #27
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckmanjr View Post
I'm pretty sure even Bush new it would take a long time before the whole thing would be over.
B.S.

My good friend (A republican) and I talked about this last night.
His take:
Either A. they lied to us about why we went in to Iraq.
or B. They were wrong and wont admit it.

He couldnt decide which was worse.

Iran scares the crap out of me. If we go in there it will be an even worse situation than Iraq. Meanwhile Afghanistan, where we probably should be in full force, is sliding further downhill...

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
Old 07-14-2008, 02:28 PM   #28
Joe

I think the administration thought that by now U.S. oil companies would be in control of Iraqi oil reserves and the spigot would be wide open to meet global demand.

Old 07-14-2008, 02:37 PM   #29
buckman

Play back the speaches Bush gave after 9/11 and leading up to war. Play back what he said after Suddam was ousted. He made it very clear that this would be a long haul. I recall things a little different then you guys. We all wondered if America had the stomach for a war that would last years and years. I guess we know the answer to that. Glad this generation wasn't in charge during World War I and II.
Old 07-14-2008, 02:45 PM   #30
Joe

You might want to check the start and stop dates for the two world wars.