Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » StriperTalk!

StriperTalk! All things Striper

Old 08-04-2018, 11:32 AM   #1
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

SeaTow question

I renewed with SeaTow on 7/18. Got the card in the mail Thursday or yesterday. Have had it in past and used once for a jump with very satisfactory experience.
Got out to boat on mooring at 0600 this morning and immediately realized I had left battery switch on.... two weeks ago. Dead dead dead. Pilot error. I accept that. I call the 617 SeaTow number at 0702 and push 1 to speak to a captain. He answers and it is obvious he is in dire need of sleep. Tells me he is just driving back from all night tow and no one is available to be in Salem until 1100. I thank him and hang up.
I eventually get jumped and on a battery charger with generator for almost two hours through my good local contacts. So enough to fire bilge pump in this monsoon and start tomorrow morning.
But what should I expect? I am more than disappointed, having just spent the money. But do I call out the guy who had probably been out all night and was in no condition to get out to a non emergency?Call local number again to ask what happened? Call the national number? Is it just scheduling issue? It IS the middle of summer on a weekend....
Wish I had radioed Boat US to see what they would have been able to do for me.
What would you do?

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
nightfighter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 12:16 PM   #2
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

So here is the transcript of my "chat" with SeaTow…………...

r2d2[‎12‎:‎50‎ ‎PM] called local number to request a jump on my mooring in salem Ma side of Marblehead this morning at 0702. Was told no one available until 1100. Is this what I should expect? Or was this scheduling/shorthanded issue? I just renewed on 7/18 based on past experience and boat based in Salem. Had to fend off friend who was strongly urging me to go Boat US Disappointed....

Tara[‎12‎:‎51‎ ‎PM] The Sea Tow membership covers you for on water services. If you are at your homeport and need assistance, you would have to call your local office to schedule services. Usually these services are not done on the weekends but during Mon- Fri off peak hours. I am surprised to hear they were going to schedule that service on a Saturday morning.

Tara[‎12‎:‎52‎ ‎PM] Also, jump starts at your homeport are not covered for safety reasons. So I am also a bit surprised they were going to assist with that. Normally they would tow you to a nearby ramp or repair facility.

r2d2[‎12‎:‎53‎ ‎PM] So you are saying that requesting a jump start on my mooring is not covered?

Tara[‎12‎:‎53‎ ‎PM] That is correct, the following is from the membership agreement-
Tara[‎12‎:‎53‎ ‎PM] Jump Starts: For safety reasons, members will not receive jump starts at home ports or in order to embark on a voyage.

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
Old 08-04-2018, 12:45 PM   #3
wdmso

I can see why they wouldn't want to Jump you to leave port Because they may have to tow you back ... I get it you just left the switch on but they dont know if there are other issues at play ...

Makes you wonder what other situations they dont cover hidden in the fine print
wdmso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 01:15 PM   #4
Rmarsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfighter View Post
I renewed with SeaTow on 7/18. Got the card in the mail Thursday or yesterday. Have had it in past and used once for a jump with very satisfactory experience.
Got out to boat on mooring at 0600 this morning and immediately realized I had left battery switch on.... two weeks ago. Dead dead dead. Pilot error. I accept that. I call the 617 SeaTow number at 0702 and push 1 to speak to a captain. He answers and it is obvious he is in dire need of sleep. Tells me he is just driving back from all night tow and no one is available to be in Salem until 1100. I thank him and hang up.
I eventually get jumped and on a battery charger with generator for almost two hours through my good local contacts. So enough to fire bilge pump in this monsoon and start tomorrow morning.
But what should I expect? I am more than disappointed, having just spent the money. But do I call out the guy who had probably been out all night and was in no condition to get out to a non emergency?Call local number again to ask what happened? Call the national number? Is it just scheduling issue? It IS the middle of summer on a weekend....
Wish I had radioed Boat US to see what they would have been able to do for me.
What would you do?

I would cancel and switch to Boat US.........which is just what I did after getting piss poor service from Seatow when I needed help.
Rmarsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 01:52 PM   #5
beamie

I wonder what TowBoat US policy is on jumps and homeport etc.

How many boats do they have in the area. That is a tuff call, it is a non emergency but to schedule it???? You didn't know you had an issue until you stepped on the boat. If they are not willing to jump in your homeport your still need a tow to a repair facility? And you have to wait to a weekday for that......what if you have to work.

A friend of mine with a blown engine had SeaTow tow him across Scituate Harbor to the travelift all covered, this was during the week but no issues.

I myself have had a SeaTow membership for years and just used it for the first time Thursday. My fuel pump failed and fill the sump with gas. Got a tow from outside the North River to my mooring. Very satisfied with the operation the other day. It went very well. Now it was a weekday. Weekends I am sure you get to be a number on the list.

Jon, 24' Nauset-Green Topsides, Beamie, North River. Channel 68/69. MSBA, NIBA
beamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 06:37 PM   #6
Clammer

I,ve had sea tow for years & with my track record andhave used them .&&&&&&&&&& no complaints & I felt they were quick .
you all know of my Cutty adventure ……………..7.5 tow ...one from the MA boat to the RI line where a RI boat was waiting for us . he towed me to the boat ramp I requested & helped get it on a trailer where some guys were waiting for us .

BTW .& this is just me . ……...If & when I have problems with dead batteries , won,t start , etc & I need a jump or a tow to the ramp …..its never entered my mind to call them .
I just figured OTW & at my port are two completely different things .
But all boaters have stories of good & bad service from all the two companies .,><

ENJOY WHAT YOU HAVE !!!

MIKE
Clammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 10:03 AM   #7
fish4striper

I dont think any of them help you if your at your port, slip mooring, or boatramp.
fish4striper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 10:26 AM   #8
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

So I hailed down the local SeaTow boat when I was returning to harbor yesterday. The captain, while acknowledging he had only been with them for a year and a half, said he would, and had jumped members at their mooring. In fact he was returning from a call to jump someone at their dock, but they had gotten jumped before he arrived. He said he would check with his best friend, who was the Operations head.
So glad I did not blow up the local guys, and glad to know what the policy is, still knowing that the local operator would likely have jumped me if they were in the area. Next time I will cast off the mooring and anchor a boat length away!