Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Grumpy Old Pharts Board

Grumpy Old Pharts Board Gerritol, Ex-Lax, Immodium, Bad Breath - all requirements for the Grumpy Board

Old 02-07-2008, 12:57 PM   #1
Flaptail

Angry Waitress grumpage

Is it me or do you all get annoyed when a waitress brings the bill before asking if there will be anything else like coffee or dessert and just drops it and walks away.

Arghh.

Why even try.........
Flaptail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 01:05 PM   #2
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Send a message via AIM to BigFish
No, its not just you! You should have drop kicked her into the parking lot and pushed her face in the snow!!! That will fix her wagon!!

But seriously.....just ignore that and when she puts your check down.....ask her for more coffee....then when she comes for more coffee, ask her to bring you some more cream.....then when she brings the cream.....tell her you would like a nice piece of Pie to go with the coffee.....then when she brings the Pie.....by then you need more coffee....so ask her for more! By now you will have busted her beans enough and you will feel vindicated!

Almost time to get our fish on!!!
BigFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 02:06 PM   #3
Saltheart

The one that gets me lately is the practice of asking if you need change. The check is $5.25 and you give them a twenty and they ask ...do you need change?

I have had some who don't even ask the just don't bring back change. You need to ask for your change. This gets me so PO'ed.

Saltheart
Custom Crafted Rods by Saltheart
Saltheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 06:12 PM   #4
Jenn

I hate it more when I am sitting there...done with my meal....ready to leave.....and WAITING for the check!

Simplify.......
Jenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 10:55 PM   #5
bloocrab
Callinectes sapidus

I like it when you eat EVERYTHING on the plate, garnish and all, and they come over and ask....."are you finished?".....

Next time I think I'll pick the plate up and try to bite it, love to see the expression then -

...it finally happened, there are no more secret spots
bloocrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 11:19 PM   #6
fishaholic18
Finally

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenn View Post
I hate it more when I am sitting there...done with my meal....ready to leave.....and WAITING for the check!
Yup..Me too..I like it when they bring it early so I can get the &^%$# out when I want to...

F-18®
It IsWhat It Is

¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º >¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((( º>
fishaholic18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 07:52 AM   #7
Raven

Talking hahahah

larry and dave you guys are a riot
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 09:42 AM   #8
redfin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltheart View Post
The one that gets me lately is the practice of asking if you need change. The check is $5.25 and you give them a twenty and they ask ...do you need change?

I have had some who don't even ask the just don't bring back change. You need to ask for your change. This gets me so PO'ed.

YES!!! It's as if they're trying to embarrass you for asking for your change so you leave them an unreasonably large tip. I use 20% as a baseline and will go up or down as the service I received warrants. I know these folks work for tips but some of them are real hustlers.

Truly a wealth of useless information.
redfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 10:23 AM   #9
GonnaCatchABig1
must find the fish

i hafta defend the waitresses here. i know a alot of them and dated one for 4 years.. and the horror stories they have.. make me cringe. if you frequent a place and they are constantly doing stuff like that.. go a head be mad. but if it's a one time deal, be annoyed but deal with it. every one has bad days. and honestly if i was a waitress i would have a bunch. they make crap base pay and live for the tips (you probably knew that already) so if they are being a crappy server it's for a reason. probably because they had a table of ten who took up an hour of their time and ordered $200 worth of food and left a $5 tip. it happens a lot more often than you think. and i know for a fact they don't exactly cater to people they know are cheapos. if i go out to eat i always leave at least $5 or 25% which ever is more. they are trying to make a buck after all. unlesss it's the second time i had bad service from that server.

it's not even cheapos alot of the time that send them into crap mode. it's usually some one in the kitchen. when some one in the kitchen messes up the costumer usually takes it out on the server. and often skimps the server on tips (trying to punish the restaurant but only hurts the server)

blaaaaaah.. it all depends really. i let things slide because i've heard (and seen a few) of all the horror stories.. but they only get one chance to redeem themselves.. if they mess up the second time.. then the tips starts decreasing.

in short.. their service can be iffy one time. as long as they attempt to be nice and dont take it out on me. if they cant deal with the stress though and have repeat offenses, sucks to be them.

p.s.- asking if you want change on a $20 for a $5 meal is unprofessional. but asking if you want change from $20 on a $15 should be perfectly acceptable.

There he stands, draped in more equipment than a telephone lineman, trying to outwit an organism with a brain no bigger than a breadcrumb, and getting licked in the process. ~Paul O'Neil, 1965
GonnaCatchABig1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 12:39 PM   #10
Jimbo

Not sure I agree with some of that logic. I think any waiter or waitress has to accept that they're going to get stiffed or bad tips once in a while even if they bent over backwards for the customer. There's absolutely no reason to take that out on the next customer, especially since it only hurts their chances to make up what they lost. I don't go to the same restaurants often enough to get the same person waiting on me again, but then again, I don't consider I'm a stuck up customer, so if a waitress is pleasant (very important), reasonably prompt and attentive without being overbearing, they'll do OK by me. I understand that on occasion a waitress may be given more tables than she can handle. Stuff happens. I wouldn't blame the waitress if the food wasn't cooked they way I asked if it was obvious it was the kitchen's fault and not that she left it sitting under the heat lamps because she forgot, but I do expect if I ask for another glass of wine it will arrive before I've finished eating. I probably wouldn't go below a 10% tip if the service warranted and if I was ever asked if wanted change back I would most certainly respond that I do and I consider it extremely rude and unprofessional that I was asked.
Jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 02:27 PM   #11
beamie

Change should always be brought back to the costumer if no words are spoken. It is not a gimme. If I hand the waitress money above the bill and it is close to the tip I say it is all set, otherwise I want my change. Then I will give her a tip.

I hate when your burger comes out and there is only Ketchup on the table. I ask for spicy mustard and 10 minutes later, after the heat has left my burger I get my mustard. Why can't they just have the mustard on the table already with the sweet red sauce?????

Jon, 24' Nauset-Green Topsides, Beamie, North River. Channel 68/69. MSBA, NIBA
beamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 09:30 PM   #12
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltheart View Post

Ya, get this, 2 weeks ago pizza guy comes to the door with a $12 pie.

I have 3 singles, give them to him and say, "this is for you", then give him a $20 to pay for the pie and he says-

" do you want the change?" I yell, "You gotta be kiddin me!!!!"

Wife cringes, she knows there's big trouble ahead.

" Choose Life "
justplugit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 11:52 AM   #13
GonnaCatchABig1
must find the fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
Not sure I agree with some of that logic. I think any waiter or waitress has to accept that they're going to get stiffed or bad tips once in a while even if they bent over backwards for the customer. There's absolutely no reason to take that out on the next customer, especially since it only hurts their chances to make up what they lost. I don't go to the same restaurants often enough to get the same person waiting on me again, but then again, I don't consider I'm a stuck up customer, so if a waitress is pleasant (very important), reasonably prompt and attentive without being overbearing, they'll do OK by me. I understand that on occasion a waitress may be given more tables than she can handle. Stuff happens. I wouldn't blame the waitress if the food wasn't cooked they way I asked if it was obvious it was the kitchen's fault and not that she left it sitting under the heat lamps because she forgot, but I do expect if I ask for another glass of wine it will arrive before I've finished eating. I probably wouldn't go below a 10% tip if the service warranted and if I was ever asked if wanted change back I would most certainly respond that I do and I consider it extremely rude and unprofessional that I was asked.
agreed.. it really is unprofessional to be asked if you want change at all.. but i am factoring in the fact.. that most waiters/waitresses are like 17 or 18... and this batch of teenagers are not the brightest bulbs on the string. and since the rest of society decided to lower the standards for every one.. i have to follow suite or be really frustrated all the time. lets face it manners have gone out the window. i maybe only 24 but i still take my hat off to eat at decent resturants. i used to get an ear full if i didn't. and when was the last time you saw a parent yell at there teenager to take their hat of at the table? it's just something not being taught anymore. it's not even the parents fault, these days theres just no time. everyones got constantly be running around like a chicken with there head cut off just to live.. last thing on my mind if ii was parent would be worrying if my kid had his hat on.

There he stands, draped in more equipment than a telephone lineman, trying to outwit an organism with a brain no bigger than a breadcrumb, and getting licked in the process. ~Paul O'Neil, 1965
GonnaCatchABig1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 01:38 PM   #14
Redsoxticket

If I had to make a judgement on the quality of the better service among restuarants it would be of those european cuisine and staff.
I find that if you don't ask for the bill you won"t get it but they know when you are by observation. This shows to me good customer service that your not being rushed and just another number.

Next time they ask you, if you want change, take back your money and give them the "exact" amount, then say "now I don't need change, goodbye"
Redsoxticket is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 02:03 PM   #15
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonnaCatchABig1 View Post
but i am factoring in the fact.. that most waiters/waitresses are like 17 or 18... and this batch of teenagers are not the brightest bulbs on the string.
Perhaps this is true at McDonalds, but not across the broader spectrum.

-spence
spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 06:24 PM   #16
Backbeach Jake

Today's waitstaff isn't told that they are in or trained in the "hospitality" business. It's get the order, get them fed, and get them out for the next customer. Everything is go-go go and rush-rush rush these days, and it's miserable for everyone.

He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself.
Thomas Paine
Backbeach Jake is offline   Reply With Quote